Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Platinum Jubilee Tour of The Caribbean 19-26 Mar 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Claude

Serene Highness
City
USA
Country
United States
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...am-Kate-launch-charm-offensive-Caribbean.html

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expected to launch a charm offensive in the Caribbean as part of a tour to mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee this year.

Belize, where the Queen is head of state and Prince William once trained with the Welsh Guards, is understood to be among the destinations on a trip that would have 'a focus on ecological issues'.

Representatives for the Cambridges were spotted last week on the Central American nation's paradise island of Ambergris Caye in what locals said was an 'advance party' preparing for a Royal tour in the spring.

Last edited:
A royal tour to the Caribbean in a jubilee year is a distinct possibility, especially for W&C as they have never done an official tour to that part of the world. COVID permitting, I would expect to see a quick trip to Aus/NZ as well.

It would make sense. I imagine they and the rest of the working royals will try and get to as many places in the Commonwealth and where HM is Head of State as possible.

Belize is certainly a beautiful country.

A royal tour to the Caribbean in a jubilee year is a distinct possibility, especially for W&C as they have never done an official tour to that part of the world. COVID permitting, I would expect to see a quick trip to Aus/NZ as well.

And considering that Barbados has just become a republic and Jamaica is planning to do the same, a royal tour of the Caribbean seems timely. The region has been neglected for some time.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if the largest and oldest realms like Australia and Canada were left out in the Jubilee year.

I suspect we'll see a number of visits by different members of the RF this Jubilee year. I think Charles and Camilla will make t least one such tour as well as W&K. To be honest I can see both couples possibly doing two such tours each with Anne, Ed&Sophie doing visits to Commonwealth realms as well.

I just have seen The Caribbean with Andi and Miquita (of Antigua but originally from West-Africa as their ancestors were enslaved) on BBC 2 and tonight's episode was about Barbados. It was a painful insight on how brutal colonialism was. In this episode Andi and her daughter Miquita also visited a plantation house, with the British owner proudly showing crystal chandeliers, Georgian tableware and showed a portrait of a great-grandfather with a posh British double surname: a plantation owner.

That this notion was uncomfortable for Andi and Miquita was totally missed by the British owner. All this wealth on that plantation actually came from slavery and exploiting humans in the most nightmarish circumstances imaginable. Later other British expats were indulging in a very much every-inch-British "party" and lamented that Barbados became a republic. Why cut the umblical cord with the Crown, which was always good for Barbados?

The British expats at the table totally missed that they were nipping gin-tonics and eating scones in a 19th C luxury house of a plantation owner on an island where the most brutal form of slavery existed, under the Crown. While the attendees with African descent felt the shivers of their chained enslaved ancestors through their bones, the British owner proudly told he named a pet Horatio Nelson (while the Barbados people actually toppled the statue of Nelson, whom defended and enabled slavery).

After seeing this episode, I feel the Cambridges have to walk on eggs when visiting Belize, Antigua, etc.

Last edited:
A tour of the Caribbean knocks off most of the realms. Charles and Camilla will probably visit Down Under and also do the Pacific realms and the Wessex's or Anne and Tim do Canada/South East-Asia for a visit to the Commonwealth countries there. The other couple I suspect will go to Africa while The Duke of Kent will make his annual visit to Cyprus and probably Malta. That would leave the Gloucester's to go somewhere as well - maybe Africa as as second couple to try to cover all of the Commonwealth.

Is this official now then? It's certainly not surprising that Jamaica would be high on the list to visit. If it is March then they're having a busy start to a busy year.

Is this official now then? It's certainly not surprising that Jamaica would be high on the list to visit. If it is March then they're having a busy start to a busy year.

I have not seen an announcement yet.

Looking forward to the Platinum Jubilee Tour of The Caribbean this March!

The following is a quote from the article above in The Telegraph.

In December Andrew Holness, the Jamaican prime minister, said there was “no question that Jamaica has to become a republic”.
Just last week, his government further signalled its intention as Sir Patrick Allen, the governor-general, outlined its plans for the next fiscal year.
He described how the newly-created Ministry of Legal and Constitutional Affairs had been tasked with reforming Jamaica’s laws, reviewing the constitution and “the process to shift Jamaica's status as a constitutional monarchy”.
According to the Jamaica Observer, the hopes of many have been “roused” by the historic move made by Barbados in November.

I don't think a royal visit by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will change that.

I don't think a royal visit by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will change that.

I do not think either a royal visit or any actionby the royal family will impact some of these countries choosing a President as Head of State. That said, whilst they retain the Queen as monarch, it is important that the realms get a royal visit in a jubilee year.

I do not think either a royal visit or any actionby the royal family will impact some of these countries choosing a President as Head of State. That said, whilst they retain the Queen as monarch, it is important that the realms get a royal visit in a jubilee year.

Agreed. This will not change anything but it is expected to have royal visits. How it will be overall received (they have to pick up the tab, right?) remains to be seen and likely will be used to sway some of them more towards whatever they are already feeling. All that said we will get nice images from this tour and it will be a good lead up for the jubilee celebration.

Will Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis accompany their parents?

Will Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis accompany their parents?

Unlikely, George and Charlotte will still be at full time school. The Easter break does not start till the end of the month.

That's too bad, but I see the Caribbean countries becoming more and more independent and being vocal about it. I just hope the places they decide not to visit due to protests don't then complain about being overlooked or ignored. Royals are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Last edited:
It's an unfortunate incident. I don't actually think it's anything to do with independence or with the Royal Family per se - the villagers are in dispute with the government of Belize over land rights, and, from what the article says, the authorities in Belize didn't bother to consult the villagers about the visit before it was arranged. They're saying that they're upset that the authorities in Belize disrespected their community leaders by arranging a high profile event, which was going to attract the world's press, without asking them or even telling them, not that they've got any problem with William and Catherine.

But it's unfortunate that the royal visit has got entangled in this, and that the tour's therefore become controversial before it's even started. As Car8007 said, Royals are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

That's too bad, but I see the Caribbean islands becoming more and more independent and being vocal about it. I just hope the places they decide not to visit due to protests don't then complain about being overlooked or ignored. Royals are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Belize isn't an island.

And all the realms are independent of the UK with their own monarchies. It's not a shared crown.

If any of them want to become republics it has nothing whatsoever to do with the UK. Or the British Crown.

And if relatives of their head of state who happen to live in a foreign country (the UK) decide to visit, the temper of their reception is nothing to do with the British Monarchy either.

Last edited:
And if relatives of their head of state who happen to live in a foreign country (the UK) decide to visit, the temper of their reception is nothing to do with the British Monarchy either.

Except that when those relatives come there on an official visit they come (at the request of the Foreign Office/Commonwealth) as representatives of the monarch, so it has to do with the monarchy.

Except that when those relatives come there on an official visit they come (at the request of the Foreign Office/Commonwealth) as representatives of the monarch, so it has to do with the monarchy.

But representatives of which monarch? The British or Belizean one? Is this tour at the request of the British FCO?

The tour is described as being "on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen on the occasion of the Platinum Jubilee":

https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duchess-cambridge-will-visit-caribbean

Who's paying?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom