The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

It appears to be a mixed demonstration with representatives for various people (*) from nurses advocating better pay and conditions, to LGBTQ people demonstrating for more tolerance at places of education.

I could not make out what was yelled, judging from the live comments it appears to be anti-vaxers who called for Mary.
Mary has personally encouraged vaccinations and she is an active advocate for LGBTQ rights, so it's hardly a surprise they wanted her attention.

(*) Legal demonstrations in DK requires a permit from the police, so that they can protect the demonstrators (I.e. protect freedom of speech and freedom to congregate) and direct traffic. Of course for security reasons and space I assume representatives only were permitted to demonstrate in the inner courtyard of the Parliament.
Normally that area is occupied by onlookers.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It appears to be a mixed demonstration with representatives for various people (*) from nurses advocating better pay and conditions, to LGBTQ people demonstrating for more tolerance at places of education.

I could not make out what was yelled, judging from the live comments it appears to be anti-vaxers who called for Mary.
Mary has personally encouraged vaccinations and she is an active advocate for LGBTQ rights, so it's hardly a surprise they wanted her attention.

(*) Legal demonstrations in DK requires a permit from the police, so that they can protect the demonstrators (I.e. protect freedom of speech and freedom to congregate) and direct traffic. Of course for security reasons and space I assume representatives only were permitted to demonstrate in the inner courtyard of the Parliament.
Normally that area is occupied by onlookers.
Oh wow....okay. I did pick out the word vaccine from the commentary and them saying kronprincesse (sp?) alot. Is it me or did Mary look at times slightly uncomfortable (it was like split second moments). Maybe it was just me...lol. I also noticed she didn't really wave to the crowd when exiting the car like she usually does - In fact, I am not sure she even looked over to the crowd. Is there a large anti-vax movement in Denmark?

Old 10-05-2021, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
Oh wow....okay. I did pick out the word vaccine from the commentary and them saying kronprincesse (sp?) alot. Is it me or did Mary look at times slightly uncomfortable (it was like split second moments). Maybe it was just me...lol. I also noticed she didn't really wave to the crowd when exiting the car like she usually does - In fact, I am not sure she even looked over to the crowd. Is there a large anti-vax movement in Denmark?
That's probably prudent of her.
She did look briefly at the demonstrators.

Presumably they had been warned in advance.

The anti-vaxers are very few, albeit it vocal. And IMO they get an disproportionate amount of attention.

On a day to day basis they can be expected to be told off by family, friends, coworkers and everybody else their voice their opinion to.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Majesty

I think Mary did the right thing because acknowledging anti-vaxers is counter-productive. Attention is like petrol on a fire.

The attendance of members of the Danish Royal Family at the official opening of Parliament is an affirmation of hope and I believe HM, Frederik, Mary and Benedikte are well aware of this in these strained times.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's probably prudent of her.
She did look briefly at the demonstrators.

Presumably they had been warned in advance.

The anti-vaxers are very few, albeit it vocal. And IMO they get an disproportionate amount of attention.

On a day to day basis they can be expected to be told off by family, friends, coworkers and everybody else their voice their opinion to.
I agree. Acknowledging the negative jeers is giving them the attention they want. It is always the whiners that even if few, are the loudest and the media gives them attention (if it bleeds, it leads as they say).
Old 10-05-2021, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

For years I have wondered why the Folketing does not spice things up a bit, like in Sweden, Norway or even in republican Germany, where floral decorations are added for the occasion.

Now the royal guests are just seated on the public tribune and then they leave. I would have used a bit more of decorum.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, benedikte, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, joachim, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, opening of parliament, prince frederik, prince joachim, princess alexandra, princess benedikte, queen margrethe