General News & Information about Albert, Charlene & Family 5: July 2020 - Jan. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And HSH Prince Albert II is back in Monaco I wonder if they all returned?

Serious question here because I don't closely follow the RF of Monaco but what has been so terribly difficult and challenging in her marriage? The two out of wedlock children were, I believe, both known about before the marriage. I know there have been loads of rumors about the nature of the marriage and what "arrangements" there might be behind the scenes and, of course, there were loads of "runaway bride" rumors around the time of the wedding. And it certainly didn't help matters that she sobbed and looked miserable all the way through the wedding. But none of those really speak to the marriage being difficult and challenging. What am I missing?

I don’t know if there’s ever been firm evidence of problems in the marriage. I think there’s been circumstantial evidence over the years that points to potential issues.. I wouldn’t be shocked if there were problems, but I could say the same thing about one or two other royal marriages. And Charlene has never really seemed to take to public royal life, but again, she’s not the only royal bride who has had rough patches, and she and Albert were together long enough before the marriage that he must have had a reasonable idea of what he could expect from her going forward. I’d also assume she would have known what she could expect from him.

I don’t closely follow this family, but Albert certainly seems to be happy enough acting on his own at public events. He and Charlene may both be perfectly content with the state of their marriage and how they’ve arranged their public lives. I also think it’s great that they regularly take the children with them to various events.

I’ve never been convinced that Albert and Charlene had a traditional love story but that doesn’t mean they can’t have a solid marriage.

They may have agreed to her not doing royal duties, but it seems to me that that's going to make her less popular. and Albert does seem to do a lot of stuff so he presumably thinks that he needs to be seen a lot.. perhaps because his wife doesn't do that much.

I think Prince Albert gives Princess Charlene a lot of space. Public Life must be very hard. Just reading here at RF, so many of us have different opinions of what Royalty should wear, how to act, naming children and the list can go on. Being the person under scrutiny must be very hard.
I also think, that Princess Caroline and Princess Stepahnine, but especially Caroline carried on the role as First Lady for the late Prince (her father) and for Prince Albert. I am wonder if The princesses did not resent a new person, a new First Lady, coming into the family. With Charlene taking a back roll, Caroline can continue being Acting First Lady. Just what she wanted. maybe Charlene is fine with that too. I would not want to be Albert trying to keep things calm between his wife and sisters. I think there is some drama that goes on.
JMOO

Is PC STILL in S. Africa? It's her 10th wedding anniversary in less than 3 weeks, where on Earth is she?

Whether she is in South Africa or not, it’s a long time since she did a public engagement in Monaco. Hope she is back on duty soon. Incident, is there a Red Cross Ball this year?

From memory I think the last public engagement was at the funeral of King Goodwill Zwelithini back in mid March over 3 months ago.

I would say that its unlikely there will be a Ball this year.. Covid still. And I wouldn't hold my breath about Charlene doing anything. It seems like she's still away and not in a rush to get home..

I'm seriously fearful that the Princess is either very ill or the couple have separated. No update on where she is since the GP is a poor show from the Palace.

I'm seriously fearful that the Princess is either very ill or the couple have separated. No update on where she is since the GP is a poor show from the Palace.

I'm trying to work it out. It seems he and the twins were probably in SA in May before coming back and continuing to make appearances together in early June. There was a gap in his appearances which coincides with the birthday celebration of the twins' cousin.

That's a few days after the ear infection announcement which might mean she can't fly.

I don't think she's seriously ill or that there's evidence that they've separated but she clearly seems to be making her conservation work in SA her top priority at the moment.

What I simply cannot understand is how can she bear to stay away from her adorable twins for such a long time. Because every mother would not want to be parted from her children, especially when they are still very young. So my conclusion is that she is truly ill and not able to fly.

I think there may be a combination of things happening here, though. On one hand, I do believe she had some sort of ear infection simply because it would be easy enough to find people to discredit the claim if it weren't true. That said, I'm not sure that's the sole reason for her continued absence and it seems that it might be a bit of an exaggeration about the severity of the infection. As for leaving the children, I have no doubt that Charlene dearly loves her twins. However, she's never struck me as someone who is overly maternal and deeply involved in the every sticky, dirty, messy, gross moments of parenthood and I suspect that while she loves them deeply, there's probably a great team of nannies doing a lot of the actual raising. As long as she's able to speak with them and connect with them by Zoom or FaceTime, etc. then I suspect she might be happy with sort of having the best of both worlds and being able to connect with her children while steering clear of the typical demands of her position that she's never seemed to enjoy or embrace and being able to focus on work that is clearly very important to her.

I think there may be a combination of things happening here, though. On one hand, I do believe she had some sort of ear infection simply because it would be easy enough to find people to discredit the claim if it weren't true. That said, I'm not sure that's the sole reason for her continued absence and it seems that it might be a bit of an exaggeration about the severity of the infection. As for leaving the children, I have no doubt that Charlene dearly loves her twins. However, she's never struck me as someone who is overly maternal and deeply involved in the every sticky, dirty, messy, gross moments of parenthood and I suspect that while she loves them deeply, there's probably a great team of nannies doing a lot of the actual raising. As long as she's able to speak with them and connect with them by Zoom or FaceTime, etc. then I suspect she might be happy with sort of having the best of both worlds and being able to connect with her children while steering clear of the typical demands of her position that she's never seemed to enjoy or embrace and being able to focus on work that is clearly very important to her.
Agree. I dont think she likes the royal role at all, and it seems she's more interested in tehe conservation work that spending all her time iwth the children.

Agree. I dont think she likes the royal role at all, and it seems she's more interested in tehe conservation work that spending all her time iwth the children.

So she enjoys her half-in, half-out role.

Please allow me not to agree with you completely. So, in your opinion, she prefers working with animals and doing conservation work rather than spending time with her children? Every mother knows that every precious second that you spend with your offspring is by far more rewarding than all other things - no matter how important they are! In my modest opinion, time flies and in no time at all the twins will be teenagers and she will have lost the best years of their lives and nothing will bring them back!

I think she adores her children and they her - I think that's quite evident from their interactions with her. But they're a bit older now and it is still term-time so she can allow herself to travel a bit more.

For what it's worth, I don't there is anything wrong with the marriage - it works for them, it just looks a little odd looking at it from the outside because she doesn't always conform to perceptions of what a Princess should be doing. (As in something, anything...)

A couple of doctor friends of mine were dubious that an ENT infection would prevent someone from flying for 4 weeks but 2 weeks is a definite possibility. I do think she may not have been very well recently as she looks really quite thin in the recent images. Also the whole timeline of when was in SA isn't clear. But, she could well be back in Monaco for all we know. The Princely Palace has never been great with the whole communication thing.

The Princely Palace has never been great with the whole communication thing.

Absolutely correct and never has a truer words ,there was supposed to be a PR assistant assigned to the Princess but I'm not sure if that also went by the wayside.

Please allow me not to agree with you completely. So, in your opinion, she prefers working with animals and doing conservation work rather than spending time with her children? Every mother knows that every precious second that you spend with your offspring is by far more rewarding than all other things - no matter how important they are! In my modest opinion, time flies and in no time at all the twins will be teenagers and she will have lost the best years of their lives and nothing will bring them back!

its her choice....

I think she adores her children and they her - I think that's quite evident from their interactions with her. But they're a bit older now and it is still term-time so she can allow herself to travel a bit more.

For what it's worth, I don't there is anything wrong with the marriage - it works for them, it just looks a little odd looking at it from the outside because she doesn't always conform to perceptions of what a Princess should be doing. (As in something, anything...)

A.

I assume that Albert has accepted that she's not the Princess bride type, but I dont think that she's not done much royal work because of devotion to full time motherhood. I agree, I think that the kids are now old enough for her to leave them at times and she likes the work in S Africa...
OR I suppose its possible that she's never gotten to like Monaco that much.. and would prefer to be In SA. THat's a bit of a problem because Albert can't leave his job to go and live with her there.

Last edited:
Ophélie Winter is a well known singer in French speaking countries though her career is rather behind her. Lots of famous boyfriends, among them Prince (the late singer).
She wrote a biography in which she said that once years ago and before Charlène of course, she received a letter from the Monaco Palace asking if she wanted to apply for the position of first Lady of Monaco.
She declined.
Of course it is just what she wrote and it was way before Charlène of course. I don't pretend it is true.

I am hoping that the official stamps commemorating their 10th anniversary are a signal that all is well in the marriage and family:)

I hope so and wish the whole family all the happiness in the world!

Ophélie Winter is a well known singer in French speaking countries though her career is rather behind her. Lots of famous boyfriends, among them Prince (the late singer).
She wrote a biography in which she said that once years ago and before Charlène of course, she received a letter from the Monaco Palace asking if she wanted to apply for the position of first Lady of Monaco.
She declined.
Of course it is just what she wrote and it was way before Charlène of course. I don't pretend it is true.

Wht does that mean? That Albert was proposing to her?

Probably just gossip and a load of nonsense.

Its an odd way of putting it. One can be First Lady of Monaco without being Princess.. Caroline acted as her father's First Lady when Grace died. but I presume it meant that Albert watnted to marry her...

Its an odd way of putting it. One can be First Lady of Monaco without being Princess.. Caroline acted as her father's First Lady when Grace died. but I presume it meant that Albert watnted to marry her...
I was referring to the article by Ophélie Winter which was probably based on mere gossip.

I was referring to the article by Ophélie Winter which was probably based on mere gossip.

IF it is an autobiographical book based on her own life, I wouldn't call it gossip. If she siad that she got a letter asking her to be FIrst Lady of Monaco, then presumably that is a proposal to marry Albert? (Unless Im misunderstanding what was said).

IF it is an autobiographical book based on her own life, I wouldn't call it gossip. If she siad that she got a letter asking her to be FIrst Lady of Monaco, then presumably that is a proposal to marry Albert? (Unless Im misunderstanding what was said).

We don't know if it was true and receiving a letter asking if they'd want to apply for the position of first Lady of Monaco sounds rather ludicrous don't you think?

Perhaps it was indeed a marriage proposal and something was lost in translation?

We don't know if it was true and receiving a letter asking if they'd want to apply for the position of first Lady of Monaco sounds rather ludicrous don't you think?

Perhaps it was indeed a marriage proposal and something was lost in translation?

It does sound ludicrous put like that but it wouldn't be the first time a royal, politician or famous person has been rumoured to basically treat getting married as a job or audition. It's been claimed that Rainier was set on marrying a movie star for the benefits she could bring for example.

That said whilst I wouldn't call it gossip per se as it's a claim directly from the source - I am sceptical that it was exactly like she claimed for various obvious reasons. But I think it's possible that she received a marriage proposal from him in an usual way.

I think it's pretty easy to make these claims about Albert because he was unmarried for so long and his marriage appears to be unusual to many people (along with the wedding rumours). I mean this barely ranks on the gossip scale.

Yes of course it was odd. If he was asking her to marry him, you'd expect something like "I received a letter from P Albert asking if I'd consider marriage"... but it isn't GOSSIP.... It is (as far as I understand) information from the lady who recieved the letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom