General News & Information about Haakon,Mette-Marit & Family 1: July 2014 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Perhaps you can tell us a little about it? ?

Having the procedure once a year?!? :ohmy: That sounds dramatic! :ermm:

:previous: Perhaps you can tell us a little about it? ?

Having the procedure once a year?!? :ohmy: That sounds dramatic! :ermm:

That would be pretty dramatic! Turns out I got the two conditions confused with one another. Haakon will have had a minor surgery where the extra bone that causes his condition in his ear will be removed, whereas my procedure will simply be syringing, though I have always had a similar issue with wax residue in my ears which stems from genetics (my grandmother and one of my cousins has/have had the same condition).

:previous:
Thanks. :flowers:
I'm relieved.

Anything to prevent an ear infection, if it's anything like the ear-infections I had as a child. They were pretty painful.

The newspaper Se og Hør has a quote from the Palace's communication manager saying that the operation went fine. Haakon has a day trip scheduled for the 20th, so it does seem that he needs little to no recovery time for this type of surgery.

It seems that this malady is caused by the change in temperature when coming in and out of water (from warm to cold.) It's most commonly called surfer's ear, because it affects surfers and swimmers the most.

It seems that this malady is caused by the change in temperature when coming in and out of water (from warm to cold.) It's most commonly called surfer's ear, because it affects surfers and swimmers the most.

The technical name for the condition is exostosis and it can also be found in other parts of the body such as the kneecaps, femur, etc. This website has quite a good diagram of what a regular ear looks like in comparison to surfer's ear.

The Crown Prince Couple have a date tonight! as Mette Marit inform us!

"My husband took me on a date tonight ❤️ It was Stovnerrevyen, and could not have been more fun. For a bunch, for a script. Congratulations. And for those of you who want to have laughter cramps so it hurts your stomach ... go and see tomorrow or Saturday"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAGik5h9R1/

Seems that her health is good, so perhaps she can start doing some work. If I remember royalnorway's translations correctly, she did say she wanted to keep working despite her illness.

:previous: Nice to see the family enjoying themselves and catching the last bits of snow before the summer!

The technical name for the condition is exostosis and it can also be found in other parts of the body such as the kneecaps, femur, etc. This website has quite a good diagram of what a regular ear looks like in comparison to surfer's ear.

I knew Haakon surfed occasionally, but I never thought he was a regular surfer to the point of suffering from exostosis, especially living in Norway.

I knew Haakon surfed occasionally, but I never thought he was a regular surfer to the point of suffering from exostosis, especially living in Norway.

He is! He even shared his love of surfing during his speech in Fiji. He seems to love surfing so much so that he's going to have the same operation on the other ear later this year!

“I am fine. It was not dramatic. It is simply the ear canals that have been clogged, so I had an operation. I must probably do the operation again, on the other ear. One of the things that can aggravate it is to be in cold water. I was doing a lot of wind surfing when I was younger”. (source)

Seems that her health is good, so perhaps she can start doing some work. If I remember royalnorway's translations correctly, she did say she wanted to keep working despite her illness.
When it comes to The Crown Princess and royal engagements, I think it's important to remember that:

1. She suffers from what is thought to be Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), a disease with an average survival rate of 3-5 years from being diagnosed, most likely caused by an autoimmune process in her body. And even though it was discovered early, which is a good thing, it is nevertheless, a severe illness that affects her day to day form.
2. There is a difference between doing some private stuff with her family (i.e. enjoying some entertainment or skiing with her husband and children) and attending royal engagements where everyone (especially the media) looks at her with ''the eyes of Argus'' (as we say it in Norway) to see whether ''she seems to be on good form or not.''
3. She has, according to the RH calendar, attended 19 engagements (20, if we include The World Wildlife Fund conference, where she was present to watch The Crown Prince speak) since we got the news about her illness on October 24th, so not bad.

--------------------

The Crown Prince Family on the skiing holidays:

"For a beautiful start to the Easter holiday ������❤️"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwPpK1FBQ59/

Thanks! :flowers:

Yes, like many Norwegians, The CP-family spends Easter at their cabin (in Uvdal - link), enjoying themselves with friends, doing stuff such as skiing, playing games and eating good food.
BTW: Many of those who don't have a cabin, choose to rent one, which is not as expensive as it sounds.

--------------------

He is! He even shared his love of surfing during his speech in Fiji. He seems to love surfing so much so that he's going to have the same operation on the other ear later this year!

“I am fine. It was not dramatic. It is simply the ear canals that have been clogged, so I had an operation. I must probably do the operation again, on the other ear. One of the things that can aggravate it (the exostosis) is to be in cold water. I was doing a lot of wind surfing when I was younger”. (source)

And as one can see, I took myself the freedom to add some information in bold.

BTW, To those who haven't read that (Royal Central) article, which is written by the Norwegian royal commentator, Oskar Aanmoen: Well, The Crown Prince said the above stuff (in Lyonnaise's post) to The Norwegian News Agency (NTB) this week, where he also stated that it is not decided when the non-urgent surgery will happen, but that it may be this autumn.

And although Aanmoen isn't the best translator in the world (since he always seems to be using google translations), I have gone through what The CP said in Norwegian, and it looks quite right.

The problem with Mette Marrit's condition is that at this time it is invisible. She looks much as she did before her diagnosis but I think she picks her battles.

Perhaps she bartered a few days rest for a day spent just like before, the joy of a couple of wonderful ski runs with her family. For all we know, every brilliant day like that results in bed rest and sitting around looking pretty. The pain that an invisible condition causes can be so much worse that it needs to be. The judgement of other people hurts.

My niece had a stroke and she is so lucky that she conquered the paralysis and to look at her you would never guess, but her short-term memory is shot, she suffers from chronic fatigue and has had several falls as a result of losing her peripheral vision.
People only backed off when she started using a white cane.

Every time I see MM out and looking happy healthy and joyful, I thank God for her loving and supportive family and hopefully her country too.

The problem with Mette Marrit's condition is that at this time it is invisible. She looks much as she did before her diagnosis but I think she picks her battles.

Perhaps she bartered a few days rest for a day spent just like before, the joy of a couple of wonderful ski runs with her family. For all we know, every brilliant day like that results in bed rest and sitting around looking pretty. The pain that an invisible condition causes can be so much worse that it needs to be. The judgement of other people hurts.

My niece had a stroke and she is so lucky that she conquered the paralysis and to look at her you would never guess, but her short-term memory is shot, she suffers from chronic fatigue and has had several falls as a result of losing her peripheral vision.
People only backed off when she started using a white cane.

Every time I see MM out and looking happy healthy and joyful, I thank God for her loving and supportive family and hopefully her country too.

Thank you for explaining invisible illness and people's hurtfulness so well.
Just because someone looks fine does not mean they are fine.

My late cousin was diagnosed with MS in her early 20s, she died at age 35. But the first few years she looked fine at first glance. She had good days where she could walk some without limping or losing her balance. But people were mean and rude because she didn't always seem handicapped.

Thank you for explaining invisible illness and people's hurtfulness so well.
Just because someone looks fine does not mean they are fine.

My late cousin was diagnosed with MS in her early 20s, she died at age 35. But the first few years she looked fine at first glance. She had good days where she could walk some without limping or losing her balance. But people were mean and rude because she didn't always seem handicapped.

Exactly this. As someone with 22q deletion syndrome, I'm going through the exact same reputation amongst strangers as your late cousin (so sorry to hear of her loss) went through. I struggle to walk long distances and can't stand for more than 15 minutes without needing to sit down, which has caused many people try to argue with me on public transport and refuse to offer me a seat, simply because "I don't look disabled". I've even been told to make room for a passenger because they were apparently more worthy of having a seat than me. People are naturally ignorant about invisible illnesses and disabilities and it causes a great strain on the daily lives of those who suffer from them and I'm sure the same is for MM, too.

When I read these stories I cannot help but wonder if MM has been treated with greater kindness and announcing her condition and prognosis have allowed others there with 'Invisible Illnesses to feel validated.

I hope that MM has a glorious life wringing every drop of joy from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the crown prince couples children who have reached their teenage years are growing up very quickly. It's fascinating to watch, although a bit scary that time seems to be marching on much faster now.

Yes, as one can see, she and Sverre together with two close friends of The CP-Couple; former Norwegian footballer, Jan Åge Fjørtoft and television-presenter, Marte Stokstad (no, they are not in a relationship) attended the soccer-game between the Oslo team 'Vålerenga'' (which lost 0-3 BTW) and the town of Lillestrøm team ''Lillestrøm'' at Intility Arena in Oslo (Vålerenga's home stadium). And to those who may be wondering, yes, this was an ''Eliteserien'' match (Norway's highest football league).

--------------------

The Crown Prince family at a a friendly match in loop football between Team Skaugum and Asker United at Skaugum stadium this moment

Live

Pictures by Palace

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=170061&sek=26939

The annual friendship-matches at Skaugum (which has taken place since 2014) are a collaboration between The CP-Family and The Norwegian Football Association, where ''Team Skaugum'' (which consists of the heir & family and their friends, former footballers and celebrities) plays against a team consisting of people with various issues.
This year they met ''Asker United,'' which consists of players with intellectual disabilities. - And to everyone's delight, they won 6-5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom