The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dusted off my crystal ball and I have a report. Come the colder weather, I see that we're going to see Meghan promote the British wool industry more and more.

Actually, I didn't need a crystal ball for this. Charles is the one that floats the boat that pays for Meghan's working wardrobe. Charles is a big promoter for British wool. Put those two sentences together and you'd see how its possible Meghan will be given the nudge to promote British wool in her clothing. :D

She's obviously feeling comfortable with this brand right now, still unsure about her "royal" style, her role and above all still learning. I bet she's sharing a good friensdhip and/or a trusted relationship with the designer, a valid point in this phase where she wants to play it safe.

I won't throw stones at her on this, really.

No it's not a snub. A snub is if she refuses to wear them at all. She's worn them prior to and since the wedding...including accessories, those count as well.

The fact she's worn 'foreign' designers several times now does not mean she is not aligning her interest with those of Britain. She's doing quite a bit so far for Britain, well beyond wearing clothes. You act like that is the only facet to her.

The point is not to nitpick between us, but of the 16-20 times she has appeared in public since the wedding, she has worn British clothing twice. If the ratio had been the other way around, I don't think anybody would have commented. But the numbers are just not stacking up in her favour in this regard.

She is new to this country, and I would have thought that she would be working hard to endear herself to the people of this kingdom, by wearing and supporting local. She clearly does not seem to agree.

She's obviously feeling comfortable with this brand right now, still unsure about her "royal" style, her role and above all still learning. I bet she's sharing a good friensdhip and/or a trusted relationship with the designer, a valid point in this phase where she wants to play it safe.

Not throwing stones, but just making clear that this is not a great way to endear yourself to the great British public. She really was not much of a known quantity here, so if I were her, I would do what it takes to be accepted and viewed positively by the man on the Clapham omnibus. Clothing is but an easy one, the low hanging fruit, an easy symbolic gesture on the route to acceptance. Look at the more senior royal ladies, the Queen, Camilla and Catherine: their attire is often symbolic, and sensitive to where they visit. Note the tweeds in Scotland for Camilla, or the Queen wearing a dress with maple leaves or using her Maple brooch in Canada, or the wattle in Aus, or Catherine wearing a dress with a fern when in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
she wants to play it safe.

But as [British] Posters here have said it ISN'T 'safe'...It needlessly creates a perception problem...with a Public YET to consolidate a view on her integration in her new country and role..
Many will disregard it as irrelevant, but if enough don't [as the press WILL have a role in this] then perhaps it will 'make waves' in the future.

There’s already been stories in the press about Meghan ‘abandoning’ British fashion. The cost of spending so much money on high end (mostly) French fashion has been noted. It’s even been talked about on royal podcasts, so this isn’t just a fabrication by us here on TRFs.

Last edited:
Why should Meghan wear British fashions? The British people and designers have been hostile towards her. (..)

Oh dear! Plenty of arguments for why Meghan should wear British clothes. Just see posts by me and several other posters on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s already been stories in the press about Meghan ‘abandoning’ British fashion. The cost of spending so much money on high end (mostly) French fashion has been noted. It’s even been talked about on royal podcasts, so this isn’t just a fabrication by us here on TRFs.

True. Negative comments about not supporting British brands have now made it to the Times and Telegraph.

The issue is far wider than the usual DM reading on the TRF.

Oh dear! Plenty of arguments for why Meghan should wear British clothes. Just see posts by me and several other posters on this thread.
Meghan will never be accepted by a majority of the British public. Clothing labels will not help because there are other issues at play. I'm glad she's doing what makes her feel comfortable.

Meghan will never be accepted by a majority of the British public

ANOTHER 'sweeping generalisation' {I note you haven't justified your previous one}.
How can you 'know' this, since you don't live here ?

Based on her events ...she's being very well accepted about anywhere she shows up.

LaRae

Meghan will never be accepted by a majority of the British public. Clothing labels will not help because there are other issues at play.

What other issues do you think are at play? It is because she is a foreigner, an American, divorcee, an actress, her being biracial?

Not throwing stones, but just making clear that this is not a great way to endear yourself to the great British public. She really was not much of a known quantity here, so if I were her, I would do what it takes to be accepted and viewed positively by the man on the Clapham omnibus. Clothing is but an easy one, the low hanging fruit, an easy symbolic gesture on the route to acceptance. Look at the more senior royal ladies, the Queen, Camilla and Catherine: their attire is often symbolic, and sensitive to where they visit. Note the tweeds in Scotland for Camilla, or the Queen wearing a dress with maple leaves or using her Maple brooch in Canada, or the wattle in Aus, or Catherine wearing a dress with a fern when in Australia.
Meghan wore a tartan coat to Scotland and green to Ireland (not that I liked that last outfit), so clearly this concept isn't completely foreign to her. However, she seems to reserve it for trips outside of England. So, I fully expect her to wear some meaningful clothes on their trip next month.

I wonder if someone at KP has advised the Duchess that Givenchy is British - that is a British designer working for Givenchy whose clothes the Duchess , is wearing.
I am of the opinion that the Majority of Brits have accepted Meghan, due to the fact that she makes Harry happy and gets on well with Charles, and the Queen has gone out of her way to show that she approves of Meghan.

I wonder if someone at KP has advised the Duchess that Givenchy is British - that is a British designer working for Givenchy whose clothes the Duchess , is wearing.
I am of the opinion that the Majority of Brits have accepted Meghan, due to the fact that she makes Harry happy and gets on well with Charles, and the Queen has gone out of her way to show that she approves of Meghan.
I don't think she is stupid enough to believe Givenchy is British.

What other issues do you think are at play? It is because she is a foreigner, an American, divorcee, an actress, her being biracial?

Notice: Not one word about the actual subject at hand. Just a general "I don't like Meghan" post. :whistling:

Yep. All of the above, especially her race. Meghan's not the type who most wanted Harry to marry. Folks just can't let this go. She could wear a different British designer everyday and it still wouldn't matter. She can't win. Plus, she has to deal with Cambridge fans. Her clothing will evolve but her haters will not. Meghan should just continue to showcase her great work ethic, intelligence and dedication to her humanitarian causes.

I know for some reason the brands she wears is are being seen as an indicator of Meghan's opinion of British fashion. IMO that is patently absurd. I understand that researching new firms for accessories was pretty easy for her to do but both media and forums slated her choice for the smalle handbags she used and when she wore a Burberry coat. The snark was pretty mean and I cannot help but believe that experience has made her a little cautious about further forays into British fashion. Knocked her confidence so to speak, especially as it was her personal choices, both the accessories and the coat. It would not surprise me that in the absence of her best friend and stylist, she should go to someone else she trusts likes, CWK, for input.
Meghan wore a tartan coat to Scotland and green to Ireland (not that I liked that last outfit), so clearly this concept isn't completely foreign to her. However, she seems to reserve it for trips outside of England. So, I fully expect her to wear some meaningful clothes on their trip next month.
I think she believes the media in other countries are kinder than the Brit's (DM anyone?) and she has had time to research and collaborate with her stylist to prepare herself for her upcoming tour. I am wondering if HM will lend her the Wattle Brooch for touring Australia and the Fern Brooch for New Zealand just to put the icing on the cake.

Personally, I actually like the dress. Thought she looked great in it.

Yep. All of the above, especially her race. Meghan's not the type who most wanted Harry to marry. Folks just can't let this go. She could wear a different British designer everyday and it still wouldn't matter. She can't win. Plus, she has to deal with Cambridge fans. Her clothing will evolve but her haters will not. Meghan should just continue to showcase her great work ethic, intelligence and dedication to her humanitarian causes.

Frankly, she looks lovely most of the time, when she dresses for herself. That awful floral thing she wore to a summer wedding looked like an old bathrobe and not her style. Someone else's though of a British look. I doubt that British designers are so fragile that they can't allow her, her own choices.

This is not about race, the Duchess of Sussex's past, her popularity nor a thread about the Duchess of Cambridge, please stay on topic of this thread and discuss fashion choices only! Thank you!

Notice: Not one word about the actual subject at hand. Just a general "I don't like Meghan" post. :whistling:

To me this is just another "I will rubbish every post that is not a paean to Meghan" post!

Perhaps you did not realise I was responding to another poster, who had raised the issue as part of a broader comment. Till (and if) you are appointed a Moderator, it might be better to leave the policing role to the Moderators themselves who do a very competent job. :flowers:

Last edited:
I like the idea but it's a bit too tight in the upper part imo.

I love, love, LOVE the dress.

Just not on DoS. First of all, it's too tight. The bust area looks squeezed as hell (I don't know how this could be comfortable) and she's one inch away of having double breasts, which is not a good look for anyone. It's also a bit too tight on the arms. The seams on the sheer part emphasize how wide her shoulders are.

I also don't like how she styles her hair, I think it makes her look a bit harsh and also more round than her face actually is now.

I'm probably in love with this dress (and shoes, both Catherine and Meghan are killing it with the shoes today!), but once again it's ill-fitting. I wish DoS would tailor her clothes more!

Last edited:
yes it is a bit tight, but I suppose we have a breastfeeding mum here. My main gripe is always that I'd love some colour not monochrom. However, she and Harry look in great spirits and ready to enjoy themselves for a good cause!

The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 -

Yeah. It is too tight- and the sheer top/arms really accentuates that. Hair is pulled back a bit too tight.

The shoes are lovely.

Last edited:
Really lovely, except around the bust area. And....black again. *sigh* :ermm:

Not a bad black dress. It doesn't fit very well, but that may be the cut or it may just be after-effects of pregnancy.

The hairstyle is too severe, reminds me of Princess Victoria's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom