The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like the blousy top with the panels and I think jewel tones flatter Kate so much more rather than the glitter. Hair up, less eyeliner and a stronger lipstick would have really rocked her look. Considering she gave birth less than two months ago, though, she does look lovely for her first night out on the town.

Last edited:
I didn't like the blousy top with the panels and I think jewel tones flatter Kate so much more rather than the glitter. Hair up, less eyeliner and a stronger lipstick would have really rocked her look. Considering she gave birth less than two months ago, though, she does look lovely for her first night out on the town.

I agree; I think the dress would look better if only the top was sequins and the skirt plain.

Still, she looks wonderful.

Nice. Wish she had done her her up, though. :ermm:

I thought she looked great. Love the all glitter dress and empire, blousy bodice but we couln't see it too well because of all the hair!!
Hair up please! Then we could see the back and the earrings!
I remember going to a wedding at about that stage and all I thought about was hoping my nursing pads would hold up! Nice with less eyebrows and makeup.

Wow!! Kate looks amazing and only two months after George...Pretty impressive.

Jenny Packam's having a pretty good week. First CP Victoria wears one of her dresses to her Cousin's Wedding and then tonight w/Kate's first big evening out since HLRH* was born. Not bad at all and I know there's something wrong w/the spelling, but not sure what, so please don't nail me too hard there. :)

*HLRH in this house stands for His Little Royal Highness. :)

Putting this here for all of us who found the Duchess less than 100% perfect.

William did not bother to shoot his cuffs after he got out of the car. No cuff, no cuff link showing. Horrors. :ohmy:
I may not sleep tonight.

Last edited:
She looks stunning , I liked her looks , she’s really Amazing Lady , But I just see Tiredness in her face , Body shape & hair looks perfect , But her face looks so Tired due of take caring of the Baby .

LOL it didn't take long for "Team Up Do" to reappear. Just waiting for "Team Tiara" to raise their heads.

WOW.

She looks GREAT!

Sure, I've got my nitpicks, but I figure WHY nitpick, since, overall, she looks SO good only two months after having a baby?

Very nice!

LOL it didn't take long for "Team Up Do" to reappear. Just waiting for "Team Tiara" to raise their heads.

Now, I'm being realistic about the chances of her wearing a tiara in the near future to be nil, but hope springs eternal that she will make the connection that an obviously sophisticated gown calls for an obviously sophisticated hairstyle rather than the usual mop of hair worn down. A French twist or a chignon would have blown that look out of the water.

Team Updo RULES!:D

Last edited:
She looks ok, not great not bad. Actually more impressed with William. I wish I could have an app for this board/thread that blacks out anything that says up do.

^^^What term would you prefer? The word "updo" or "upsweep" accurately describes that type of hairstyle.

Last edited:
Now, I'm being realistic about the chances of her wearing a tiara in the near future to be nil, but hope springs eternal that she will start making the connection that an obviously sophisticated gown calls for an obviously sophisticated hairstyle rather than the usual mop of hair worn down. A French twist or a chignon would have blown that look out of the water.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Baroness . . .

LOVE ya!

I've gotta admit that I wouldn't've minded seeing Kate the Great in an updo with that dress.

Having said that . . .

Facts are FACTS . . .

If I had a mop of hair like HERS, shoot, I'd be wearin' it down and lettin' it fly as much as possible, too!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

STILL thought she looked lovely overall, though!

:flowers:

:D

And when Catherine appears at an appropriate Gala event or State Dinner I am sure they will be right there. Until then, Team Up Do will continue to speculate as to whether she would have looked better at any evening event with an Up Do.

And yes, I think she would have looked better with an up do on this occasion as, once again, the detail and the neckline are hidden and her masses of hair make the dress look top-heavy somehow. Straight hair hanging around her face has a dragging effect and contributed to the very tired (but happy) look.

I would like to get a really good look at the entire dress before I decide whether I like it or not. At the moment I am thinking that it is not Catherine's best evening look, but it is not her worst either.

Now, I'm being realistic about the chances of her wearing a tiara in the near future to be nil, but hope springs eternal that she will make the connection that an obviously sophisticated gown calls for an obviously sophisticated hairstyle rather than the usual mop of hair worn down. A French twist or a chignon would have blown that look out of the water.

Oh Yeah!! :clap::clap:

Kate could have looked stunning in that dress, for it is a stunning dress (almost blinding, actually), at least the part we can see. Unfortunately we can't see the neckline because she has that long, unruly, hair draped all over it. Was it the hairdresser's night off?

That is a dress which requires its wearer to wear her (or his, since it looks a lot like something RuPaul would wear) hair UP.

Ah has spoken! :lol:

Last edited:
I think she looks wonderful! The makeup is heavier, but it's an evening event, so it's okay.

As to the hair, it's okay. Would it have been better up? Probably. However, does anyone know if the weather was humid? Could explain the fly-aways.

I don't like the dress. Its out dated IMO, too heavy for her and I don't like that you can see the lining of the dress from the sides of the dress, it doesn't look elegant. The bluse top looking top part doesn't flatter her.

Are there any shots which show her earrings?

I would have loved to see her w/her hair up too, but I'll give Kate a pass this time. Simply because I have a feeling she's been wearing her hair up in a pony tail most of the time lately. We all know how babies love pulling on long hair after all, so maybe Kate was grateful to have it down tonight!?! I have no idea about any of this of course, but something I was wondering about when I saw she had her hair down tonight. :)

I don't think it does anything for her IMO it makes her appear bigger than she is I am sure and has no appeal at all to me anyway .... it must be really difficult to squeeze into an evening gown such a short time after baby as well but the whole thing just lacks glamour IMO

I would love to see her cut a few inches off her hair and put some layers in so it is more choppy looking. The length of it right now and the way it just hangs at either side of her face is very hippyish. I also agree that this dress is very heavy and shapeless on her and I wish she would lose those clompy silver sandals. I think she must have found them at the back of Princess Margaret's old wardrobe at KP as they are the same horrible evening shoes she used to wear later in life LOL!

Kate could have looked stunning in that dress, for it is a stunning dress (almost blinding, actually), at least the part we can see. Unfortunately we can't see the neckline because she has that long, unruly, hair draped all over it. Was it the hairdresser's night off?

That is a dress which requires its wearer to wear her (or his, since it looks a lot like something RuPaul would wear) hair UP.

Ah has spoken! :lol:

Haha, Spoken very well! Absolutely right, too much hair for the Dress!
BYe Bine

I would love to see her cut a few inches off her hair and put some layers in so it is more choppy looking. The length of it right now and the way it just hangs at either side of her face is very hippyish. I also agree that this dress is very heavy and shapeless on her and I wish she would lose those clompy silver sandals. I think she must have found them at the back of Princess Margaret's old wardrobe at KP as they are the same horrible evening shoes she used to wear later in life LOL!

Very funny!

I happen to really love the dress, but she looks awful in it. That hair is not elegant at all. I love long hair but this needs some style.

I happen to really love the dress, but she looks awful in it. That hair is not elegant at all. I love long hair but this needs some style.

I do agree about the hairstyle, but I think it's too harsh to say she looked awful in the dress. Her figure ( not only because she's only recently had a baby) and her height alone ensure she can look much better than most of us would in this gown. I guess it's just a little frustrating that with a few tweaks, she could look spectacular.

I don't much like the dress ... I don't mind the glitter, but I don't like clingy clothes. But then, I'm not the one who had to wear it. Why would anyone with hair as gorgeous as hers, ever hide it by wearing it up? One day, it won't be as glorious as it is now, might as well make the most of it while it still is. So let's hear it for the hair ... "long beautiful hair, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen". :flowers:

For what it is worth here is my theory about this choice of evening dress.Kate is probably still nursing baby George so she needs a dress with some more room than usual in the breast department, she also needs a dress that won't show any evidence of leaking milk( breast pads in nursing bras don't always work) and this being her first time away from him this could happen to her.As for the hair I think it still looks nice from being pregnant and when it starts to fall out in the next few months we might see her cut it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom