Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 11: October 2012 - April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hairdo is very "hair explosion a la Alexandre of Paris circa 1965".
I just can't imagine the structure (and hairspray) behind this cake.

Gosh I love the colour on her ... really beautiful gown

Mary couldn't have chosen a better dress.

I don't like the dress on Mary, I don't mind the top part and the colour is lovely though. Her hair is too severe even for me.

I feel the dress would have been better if it was strapless. The jewels are stunning but that hair is horrendous!

I don't like the dress on Mary, I don't mind the top part and the colour is lovely though. Her hair is too severe even for me.

That dress is great on her - but the hair indeed has an element of conehead to it.

it is ashamed not to see a photo of mary standing up with that drees!! dress looks nice on the model!

Have to agree with most of you about the hair, a little bride of Frankenstein-ish. The color of the dress is perfect on Mary, wish we could have seen it in a full length picture.

Not so keen on the dress and the hair ... well some things are better left unsaid :)

A slightly larger photo of the runway model in the red dress. I think Mary looks nice and although the hairstyle was clearly awful, I'm sure it came back down to earth the following day (today). :)

http://www.milkandhoneymedia.co.uk/...8/jesper-hovring-spring-summer-2013-cfw17.jpg

Thank you for the pic, but you forgot to mention the designer. I'm quite curious! ;):flowers:

It's a stunning gown in the perfect red shade to match the Ruby Parure! Her updo was awful though, I have to agree. :ermm:

Thank you for the pic, but you forgot to mention the designer. I'm quite curious! ;):flowers:

It's a stunning gown in the perfect red shade to match the Ruby Parure! Her updo was awful though, I have to agree. :ermm:

It was mentioned below. Courtesy of Roskilde: "It's from Danish Jesper Høvring."

Superb evening gown and that hair style was fantastic. Only Mary could pull off a hairstyle like that with such aplomb.

Kit said:
Not so keen on the dress and the hair ... well some things are better left unsaid :)

I'm with you in regards to the dress. It's too busy, though the shade of red is very becoming on Mary.

Daria_S said:
I'm with you in regards to the dress. It's too busy, though the shade of red is very becoming on Mary.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There's nothing busy about the gown itself, and I just don't get why everything has to be so matchy-matchy.

IMO she looked wonderful, tho I'd love to see how the hair looks from the front.

I'm with you, casualfan. From what I can see, Mary looks lovely, as she usually always does. Her jewels are spectacular with the gown.

Superb evening gown and that hair style was fantastic. Only Mary could pull off a hairstyle like that with such aplomb.
I am sorry, but when people start referring to you as the Bride of Frankenstein I don't think you "pulled it off".

I am sorry, but when people start referring to you as the Bride of Frankenstein I don't think you "pulled it off".

Oh, I must have missed the memo which stated that I had to agree with the general consensus of an online sub forum..

I maintain that her hair was very regal and very fitting ;)

It is a lovely gown and I was surprised that I liked it myself, being that I'm never usually a fan of red on Mary.

I'm in no doubt that the gown would have been tailored in accordance to the Crown Princess' specifications so I would not be surprised if the actual gown was adapted in some shape or form to suit Mary's requirements and not only her measurements.

As with many catwalk catalogue items, a vast majority of what you see on the runway is in some way altered to suit the demands of the purchasing clientele.

I particularly liked the pleating of the bodice and thought the wrist lengthened sleeves added the overall sophistication. A long sleeve is a particularly pretty option for evening wear in Autumn and she wears sleeves very well in any case.

Last edited:
The colour of the gown was nice but I didn't like the fit or cut at all. A swing and a miss I'm afraid.

Speculative and off-topic posts have been removed!

The top part looks beautiful but a bit tight around the breast.
What a nice shade of red.
Her hairdo is ugly:D

It's such a cliche to wear a red dress with rubies. The top half of the dress seems nice enough but if the bottom half is like that of the model, then it just doesn't work for me.

What on earth is she transporting in that hairdo? Did she bring a packed lunch? Or maybe she's going to use it to smuggle a doggie bag for herself and Fred for later?

Are there any full-length photos of Mary's dress? Would be a better perspective to see the entire dress. I see only the one picture of her seated on an awkward angle at a table but there are plenty of full-length photos of the other CPs.

Duke-of-Earl said:
Are there any full-length photos of Mary's dress? Would be a better perspective to see the entire dress. I see only the one picture of her seated on an awkward angle at a table but there are plenty of full-length photos of the other CPs.

Unfortunately Mary arrived, we think, after the other guests in Luxembourg and did not travel from hotel to the evening venue but went straight from plane to the gala banquet. There is a full length picture of a model wearing the dress in the post below.

lancchick said:
A slightly larger photo of the runway model in the red dress. I think Mary looks nice and although the hairstyle was clearly awful, I'm sure it came back down to earth the following day (today). :)

http://www.milkandhoneymedia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jesper-hovring-spring-summer-2013-cfw17.jpg

[

Thanks for the link and that dress does nothing for me so I'll have to take a pass on both the dress and that bizarre hairstyle thingy lol. The rubies also appear to get lost in the red of her dress IMO.

I found this picture of the dress.. It's from Danish Jesper Høvring.
Royal Outfits of Crown Princess Mary: October, 19: Gala Dinner

Oh, I would had loved to seen Mary in a full view :cry: The dress looks amazing IMO

Don't like the dress after I saw it at the model. While the top part isn't bad, the bottom is just too much, and combining the stripes at the top with the frills at the bottom it makes a mess.
Also I find the top part too tight on Mary.
Don't like the combination of two red colours (the dress and the jewels), she should have chosen different jewels, or different dress. Too matchy-matchy. Also don't like the way the necklace looks with the neckline of the dress. I would see something longer there, if she needed a necklace, but, with all those stripes I would prefer no necklace at all.
As to the hair, have to agree with most posters, way too severe and way too big.
All in all one of the worst Mary's looks.

I would love to see a full length picture of the gown! I have to say that Mary's hairstyle reminds me of the way her MIL wears her hair on occasion. Not sure it's a good look for Mary! In fact I'm sure of it;0

I agree with the comments about Mary's updo; I've certainly seen her wear better styles and this is way OTT. And from what I can see from the half-photo of Mary's dress, a sheer top and sleeves would have looked more delicate; the solid fabric looks too heavy and bulky. The color is beautiful on her, but a necklace with different stones would have been a better contrast.

Last edited:
I agree with the comments about Mary's updo; I've certainly seen her wear better styles and this is way OTT. And from what I can see from the half-photo of Mary's dress, a sheer top and sleeves would have looked more delicate; the solid fabric looks too heavy and bulky. The color is beautiful on her, but a necklace with different stones would have been a better contrast.

Welcome back :D! You hit the nail on the head here. The fabric made the dress appear very cumbersome and busy. I was overwhelmed by it, frankly. I think that it would have looked a lot better as a simple evening gown, with capped sleeves (or no sleeves at all), without all that stuff in the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom