The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Both of which are in the United Kingdom.

In addition both Balmoral & Sandringham are at the heart of historic estates that bring great economic benefits to their respective localities. Moreover, there is political sense in living in Scotland for a good two months of the year.

I don't think any of that rationale applies to Frogmore cottage.
It's either an optics issue for any of them that own multiple homes (Charles, The Queen etc etc) or it's not.

LaRae

Old 01-19-2020, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They’re paying commercial rent on the property, it is there’s to do with as they wish. Effectively a holiday home, the same as millions of other people worldwide have.
Well yes they are & yes they can.

Indeed it is.

None of that is not true but the fact remains that this property is only theirs because of the official position they once had.

The honest thing to do would be to give it up. Why do they need such a large holiday home anyway?

Old 01-19-2020, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It's either an optics issue for any of them that own multiple homes (Charles, The Queen etc etc) or it's not.

LaRae
Ok then let's say I accept your premise.

It is an optics issue for The Queen & Charles.

Now that said, why should Frogmore cottage be retained on the off chance that it might be used someday for some time? It's not a home for anyone anymore is it?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Ok then let's say I accept your premise.

It is an optics issue for The Queen & Charles.

Now that said, why should Frogmore cottage be retained on the off chance that it might be used someday for some time? It's not a home for anyone anymore is it?

The same reason the others might be used. They say they intend to use it. I see no issue with any of them having multiple homes.

LaRae
Old 01-19-2020, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Indeed it is.

None of that is not true but the fact remains that this property is only theirs because of the official position they once had.

The honest thing to do would be to give it up. Why do they need such a large holiday home anyway?
Its not a holiday home as in something for vacation a week or two a year. They plan to continue to support their patronages back home. It will be their work base when back in the UK. Both work and when visiting family and friends. Could they use a smaller home? Yes. Do they have to? No. If they can afford to keep it that's their choice.

Plenty of people have second homes in other countries.

It's not like them giving up the home would solve housing issues.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:49 PM
Serene Highness

As noted previously, Frogmore cottage is the UK pied à terre for the Sussex family. No doubt the Duke is staying there this week as he waits to return to his family in Canada.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Indeed it is.

What does it matter why they need it when they are paying for it? Who would you like to use it exactly?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The same reason the others might be used. They say they intend to use it. I see no issue with any of them having multiple homes.

LaRae
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I'm not convinced it will be used by the whole family on a regular basis & I think it has the potential to become an issue for a lot people in Britain in a way that the other regularly used residences aren't (unless you're a republican of course!).

There again my guess is as good as yours I suppose!
Old 01-19-2020, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They’re paying commercial rent on the property, it is there’s to do with as they wish. Effectively a holiday home, the same as millions of other people worldwide have.
I read in the Telegraph (so take with a grain of salt) that apparently this evening someone at BP was walking that back a bit, and were indicating that they would only pay for the times they were there, so much less than the commercial yearly rate.

Let me see if I can find the link...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...ghan-will-pay/
Old 01-19-2020, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its not a holiday home as in something for vacation a week or two a year. They plan to continue to support their patronages back home. It will be their work base when back in the UK. Both work and when visiting family and friends. Could they use a smaller home? Yes. Do they have to? No. If they can afford to keep it that's their choice.

Plenty of people have second homes in other countries.

It's not like them giving up the home would solve housing issues.
Guess we just see things differently. I wouldn't be surprised if it became an issue in Britain for all sorts of reasons. Then again I might be wrong!

Quote:
What does it matter why they need it when they are paying for it? Who would you like to use it exactly?
Because it's a perfectly habitable house that could be a home.

I've no idea!
Old 01-19-2020, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I'm not convinced it will be used by the whole family on a regular basis & I think it has the potential to become an issue for a lot people in Britain in a way that the other regularly used residences aren't (unless you're a republican of course!).

There again my guess is as good as yours I suppose!

American here...to me it matters not a whit how often ppl use the homes they rent/own.

Not sure where you plan to draw the line...if it is or becomes an issue in the U.K. Do you all expect them too all move back into BP and give up everything else?

LaRae
Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Better start with the Queen...the same optics apply to her estates that she only uses a few weeks a year.

LaRae
I think people are allowed to start with whatever property they have in mind. Besides, when HMQ is not using her estate, it's usually (to some extent) open to the public, for everyone to see, since they're historic and important and stuff. So no, it's completely not like a private house of non-working royals.

That said, it's the lifestyle of rich&famous. As long as Prince Charles will be paying rent for the Frogmore Cottage, Harry and Meghan are allowed to use it - or not use it - as they please.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Because it's a perfectly habitable house that could be a home.

I've no idea!
And it's being perfectly habited by Harry, Meghan and Archie when they are in the UK. It's been made clear in every statement that the family plans to spend part of the year in the UK.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

TBF as a British taxpayer I don't care if they have a "holiday home" at Frogmore so long as they pay for it, which it appears they are going to do.

Interestingly if they re-pay the refurbishment costs and pay rent it would seem, based on precedence, they are paying more than they might have had to. Prince Andrew paid the refurbishment costs of Royal Lodge (some £7million) and in return got to live their rent free.

That deal was not made by the Queen btw but the Crown Estate, likewise the Wessex's pay £90,000 a year in rent for Bagshot. So it will be interesting to see what rent the Sussexes pay.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

As I noted upthread, it is apparently far from clear how much rent they are actually going to pay.

Or how much Charles is going to be paying for them.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
American here...to me it matters not a whit how often ppl use the homes they rent/own.

Not sure where you plan to draw the line...if it is or becomes an issue in the U.K. Do you all expect them too all move back into BP and give up everything else?

LaRae

No I don't expect that to happen. That would be silly. I just don't see the rationale for the recent occupants of Frogmore cottage to retain such a substantial home in a country that they will not be habitually resident in.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
No I don't expect that to happen. That would be silly. I just don't see the rationale for the recent occupants of Frogmore cottage to retain such a substantial home in a country that they will not be habitually resident in.

The Sussexes haven't stated yet how much time they will be spending in each country probably because that's going to depend on what happens with their change of lifestyle.

Wealthy ppl typically have more than one home. There's lots of reasons for that.

LaRae
Old 01-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
TBF as a British taxpayer I don't care if they have a "holiday home" at Frogmore so long as they pay for it, which it appears they are going to do.
Fair enough. Interesting that we both have a different take on this.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The joy of free speech and a forum like this I guess. If they are paying the costs I don't see the issue, or certainly don't see an issue thats specific to them.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Sussexes haven't stated yet how much time they will be spending in each country probably because that's going to depend on what happens with their change of lifestyle.

Wealthy ppl typically have more than one home. There's lots of reasons for that.

LaRae
Yes I do understand the uncertainty over their plans.

Indeed they do but they don't usually get to live somewhere like Windsor Home Park . Not for all the money in the world.

Hopefully everything will become clear sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the chat. It's good to hear differing viewpoints.

Closed Thread