Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question, one I had myself asked just yesterday on these forums, and one to which I have no immediate answer. Might it be a Dower house for Camilla? Might it become the offices of the Princes Trust? Perhaps more office space for the BRF? I don't know.

Or, as BP is going to be under renovation for a good period of time, Charles may decide he'd rather remain at Clarence House rather than move "over the shop" as Philip has termed BP as being. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happened. ?

Good point Muriel about the cost of running somewhere like Clarence House for a junior royal. If (and yes it's an if) Harry had it as his London base, I've no doubt it would also be offices & couldn't it be funded by King Charles or King William?

I'm not wedded to the notion that CH will be Harry's London home but I also don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be.

Or, as BP is going to be under renovation for a good period of time, Charles may decide he'd rather remain at Clarence House rather than move "over the shop" as Philip has termed BP as being. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happened. ?

I think Charles would much prefer to stay in Clarence House - none of the RF say BP is their favourite residence! He can certainly do that until the end of renovations (2027?) but afterwards, I think he'd be under pressure to move in for various reasons eg public expectation that it's the monarch's residence & also justifying the cost of its upkeep.

I think using it for a tourist attraction, as well as for official events (investitures, State banquets and lesser occasions) and as office space would justify the cost of upkeep.
Even if Charles doesn’t ever move into BP, I think William and Catherine will.

Last edited:
I think Charles would much prefer to stay in Clarence House - none of the RF say BP is their favourite residence! He can certainly do that until the end of renovations (2027?) but afterwards, I think he'd be under pressure to move in for various reasons eg public expectation that it's the monarch's residence & also justifying the cost of its upkeep.

When has public pressure and expectations hindered Charles to live exactly as he wants? If he wants to stay as a king at Clarence House he will.

I always thought Charles would keep BP as offfices and for official events while staying at CH, however a part of me now thinks ge will move into BP due to the large cost of renovations (notice how Queens apartments are planned to be done last...) and because I think he feels as King he should reside there and would want to avoid any apperance of not being the King in every way his mother has been sovereign.

When has public pressure and expectations hindered Charles to live exactly as he wants? If he wants to stay as a king at Clarence House he will.

He's mindful of public perceptions of him & doesn't do exactly as he wants all the time. For example, he introduced Camilla as his partner gradually, building up to the marriage he wanted. He did it in tune with increasing public acceptance of her rather than as soon as he wanted it. He's not a hot-head & I think if surveys showed a high public expectation of him living in BP, he'd do it.

And what specifically 'American tastes' do you know that Meghan possesses in interior design?

This sort of style...

Attachments

• meghan.jpg
    meghan.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 87
And very nice too! Nothing wrong with American interior design.

That doesn't mean however that Meghan won't incorporate some British features in her homes in the UK. And tastes also change with the years with most people.

This sort of style...

A vintage mirror, a vase of roses, dogs on rugs on a sofa - that looks pretty English to me (& rather like the sitting room I'm typing this from!).

I'm sure Meghan could cope with having the public rooms of any house she lived in being more formal & full of items from the Royal Collection. The private rooms will be styled for comfort, as I'm sure other RF members have their houses. Also, the British upper classes are notorious for their love of dogs & I know many an aristocratic pup snoozes on the furniture.

I'm not sure it makes sense for the Sussexes to end up at CH...I would think they will move into one of the apartment sets down the road..either ones vacated by The Cambridges or Gloucesters ...years down the road.

Due to age it's not likely they will have a lot of children ...that's even assuming they want a place at KP. They may be quite happy to drive the 40 min to Windsor ...lots of people drive that distance daily to jobs.

LaRae

There's no rush really to put Harry and Meghan into a London base. Once their child/ren reach school age, it may become a necessity unless they decide on primary schools in Windsor but until then, they have time to sort things out where a London base would be the best for them all the way around.

For now, Nottingham Cottage fits the bill. ?

And very nice too! Nothing wrong with American interior design.

That doesn't mean however that Meghan won't incorporate some British features in her homes in the UK. And tastes also change with the years with most people.
Of course there's nothing wrong with "American interior design", as you called it (though I do want to ask which one, because there are probably many ?). It's just that it's quite different, without putting one above the other. Though I have to say, I don't understand this trend of having these huuuuuge kitchens, it's weird (for me) that the kitchen is bigger than the living room in some cases.

Meghan might like it more simplistic or minimal, open and full of light (which many of the American houses, no matter what style, tend to be) - and there are some things, like demolishing internal walls, that you cannot do in a Grade I building - as opposed to Grade II building, for example. Or maybe she likes the British style and is fine with more smaller rooms. We'll probably never know, but it's fun to speculate as long as no one feels offended. Just remember, different doesn't always mean worse, just... different.

Big kitchens are nice when you cook a lot and you want the family to be able to hang around while you are doing it. Another reason for the open floor plan concept.

Depends on the lifestyle. For young and/or singles that eat out a lot it's not likely they care much about a kitchen size.

LaRae

I always thought Charles would keep BP as offfices and for official events while staying at CH, however a part of me now thinks ge will move into BP due to the large cost of renovations (notice how Queens apartments are planned to be done last...) and because I think he feels as King he should reside there and would want to avoid any apperance of not being the King in every way his mother has been sovereign.

Agreed. If anything, I see him spending more time at Windsor Castle if he doesn’t want to live at BP full time. I just can’t see him keeping CH after all that money is spent on BP. Windsor is a different story.

Big kitchens are nice when you cook a lot and you want the family to be able to hang around while you are doing it. Another reason for the open floor plan concept.

Depends on the lifestyle. For young and/or singles that eat out a lot it's not likely they care much about a kitchen size.

LaRae

Damn, didn't know the entirety of Europe is either young or single ?

Speaking of kitchens, I think Meghan is going to be very hands on with the kitchen at Frogmore Cottage. Its been said that they stayed in quite a bit while courting at Nott Cott and cooked food. Harry proposed in front of a roast chicken even. This is a couple that seems to prefer dining in rather than dining out so I think the kitchen will be a top priority for the Sussex family.

Its been suggested that they wish to add on a glass enclosure. Perhaps they'll use it as a greenhouse/meditation/yoga site and grow their own herbs and spices and stuffs. The farm to fork kind of thing.

Whatever they decide, they'll definitely turn the cottage into a home. :D

Cooking is a huge part of Meghan’s life. I can see the kitchen being a center hub of activity for M&H & their kids. It wouldn’t surprise me if her kitchen is on par with the one ripped out of Amner. The out structure could be a private home for Doria or a yoga studio for Meghan. Would their security need a home near theirs if they are living on the Windsor estate?

I'm sure Meghan could cope with having the public rooms of any house she lived in being more formal & full of items from the Royal Collection.

I would be surprised if Harry was given access to furniture or art from the Royal Collection for his home. Its just not done.

I don't think the Royal Collection would be used either. It most likely will be furnished with pieces that Harry and Meghan choose and like. Also, I don't see *any* of the rooms of Frogmore Cottage ever being opened to the public either while Harry and Meghan are using it as their home.

None of Apartment 1A or Amner Hall are ever opened to the public. There are state rooms and historical rooms that are open to the public at KP but they're not in the residential section of KP. So, the interior of Frogmore Cottage will be done according to Harry and Meghan's taste.

I would be surprised if Harry was given access to furniture or art from the Royal Collection for his home. Its just not done.

It might be if they lived in Clarence House:
https://www.rct.uk/collection/near-you/clarence-house#/place/682666#%5D

My main point is that if they end up living anywhere of historic significance, I'm sure they'll furnish & decorate any public/official rooms in harmony with the heritage even if they have private areas styled more for comfort & personal taste.

I don't think the Royal Collection would be used either. It most likely will be furnished with pieces that Harry and Meghan choose and like. Also, I don't see *any* of the rooms of Frogmore Cottage ever being opened to the public either while Harry and Meghan are using it as their home.

None of Apartment 1A or Amner Hall are ever opened to the public. There are state rooms and historical rooms that are open to the public at KP but they're not in the residential section of KP. So, the interior of Frogmore Cottage will be done according to Harry and Meghan's taste.

No, I don't suggest Frogmore Cottage would ever be open to the public or that items from the Royal Collection would be placed there. The line of conversation flowed from a possibility of Clarence House as a residence & a previous poster was concerned that Meghan's "American tastes" would be problematic there, which I disagree with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The royal family do have a lot of art works and furniture in store. The Cambridges have some at KP. That will be available if wanted.

I think using it for a tourist attraction, as well as for official events (investitures, State banquets and lesser occasions) and as office space would justify the cost of upkeep.
Even if Charles doesn’t ever move into BP, I think William and Catherine will.
I think there is furniture stored all over the place as fashion came and went and often came back again. It didn't just get turfed. Harry and Meghan are not going to be furnishing Frogmore Cottage with Ikea flatpacks.

I have always assumed there must be a huge warehouse stuffed with furniture and other bits and pieces from gifts and previous renovations etc. Where the couple can pick and chose according to there tastes. As well as buying what they want.
Crown Prince Frederik ended up with a brand new renovated palace and they chose a mix of old and modern furnishings that appear to go well together.

I should imagine much the same happens in the BRF.

I have always assumed there must be a huge warehouse stuffed with furniture and other bits and pieces from gifts and previous renovations etc. Where the couple can pick and chose according to there tastes. As well as buying what they want.
Crown Prince Frederik ended up with a brand new renovated palace and they chose a mix of old and modern furnishings that appear to go well together.

My understanding is that there used to be are several rooms in the bowels of BP and Windsor that were full of wonderful old furniture. When Charles was setting up home at Highgrove and KP, he had tried to take some of the furniture and had been told off by the Queen to go and buy his own. If this story is true, and I just recollect having read it in the Press / here at TRF a while ago, then she is unlikely to be offering anything substantial to Harry. Even W&C are meant to have bought a lot of their furniture for their home at KP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom