The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Let's hope they give Frogmore cottage a complete overhaul inside and out...but I can't imagine they wouldn't do the outside too..along with the garden areas.

LaRae

Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Are the Sussexes keeping hold of Nottingham Cottage too, long term?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

^
I bloody well hope they RESPECT the nature of the building, they have the honour to occupy.
They are merely temporary 'tenants', and our historical fabric is of infinitely greater importance than their stylistic whims..
If they want 'modern they should go elsewhere and build anew !
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM
Nobility

According to Richard palmer the Frogmore Cottage will be their main residence for the "foreseeable future" and if it is true it will only have 5 bedrooms that seems a bit small for the Sussexes growing family.

I wonder if this is just a move to hold them over until something becomes available in London.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Exterior changes to Grade II listed properties are tricky - they are listed for a REASON [that they are either of 'historical or architectural interest']..
Nobody [not even Royals] can ignore that, and rightly so.

That said, restitution can be made 'to a previously existing historical state', provided photographs of that state exist.

So the restitution of the single storey front extension [with the louvred windows] would be possible, and that is a LOT prettier than the existing entrance..
I agree. That would make a much more welcoming, and more historically appropriate, appearance to the front. Thank you for the info.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Let's hope they give Frogmore cottage a complete overhaul inside and out...but I can't imagine they wouldn't do the outside too..along with the garden areas.

LaRae
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Pranter. That whole place needs to be reconstructed.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exterior changes to Grade II listed properties are tricky - they are listed for a REASON [that they are either of 'historical or architectural interest']..

That said, restitution can be made 'to a previously existing historical state', provided photographs of that state exist.

So the restitution of the single storey front extension [with the louvred windows] would be possible, and that is a LOT prettier than the existing entrance..
I don't think they would've chosen this building if they had serious issues with its exterior. However, some cosmetic work like a fresh coat of paint will do wonders for the place.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
whole place needs to be reconstructed.
I'm 'bound to say' -spoken like someone with NO respect or sensitivity to what came before an individuals TEMPORARY tenure of a historic building.

If they muck it up I GUARANTEE The Duchess will be blamed...
Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
According to Richard palmer the Frogmore Cottage will be their main residence for the "foreseeable future" and if it is true it will only have 5 bedrooms that seems a bit small for the Sussexes growing family.

I wonder if this is just a move to hold them over until something becomes available in London.
Well, as raised elsewhere in the thread, there’s always a question as to what’s meant by the stated bedroom count of royal residences. Depending on who’s doing the talking it could mean total number of spaces in which humans associated with the place could sleep or it could just mean family bedrooms, not counting accommodations for staff. Back when Omid Scobie said he’d heard Nott Cott was 3 bedrooms and not the widely reported 2, my thought was that there may have been a staff room that some were counting as a bedroom and others weren’t. But for “Frog Cott,” five family bedrooms could be just fine if they’re not planning on more than two or three children, especially if that also means other spaces once used as bedrooms is now available for office, exercise and/or play rooms.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm 'bound to say' -spoken like someone with NO respect or sensitivity to what came before an individuals TEMPORARY tenure of a historic building.

If they muck it up I GUARANTEE The Duchess will be blamed...
Folks will get over the Sussex’s doing what they like to their official residence. Just like folks got over the Cambridge’s doing what they wanted to their country home, Anmer Hall. By the current pictures, that Cottage needs work to change it from an work space to a family home.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Saw on Twitter that one part of the submitted (and approved) plans are to have some sort of glass extension and remove some of the doors and add windows etc. No idea where specifically.

LaRae

Quote:
^
I bloody well hope they RESPECT the nature of the building, they have the honour to occupy.
They are merely temporary 'tenants', and our historical fabric is of infinitely greater importance than their stylistic whims..
If they want 'modern they should go elsewhere and build anew !

Seeing has how I am NOT a fan of modern style or minimalist design ...I think it would be a crime to take a historic building like that and make it into something it's not.

I've seen enough renos on old and historic houses to know you can modernize the interior while keeping the integrity. Of course from how it sounds the interior has been butchered previously ..at least some period elements totally removed.

LaRae
Old 11-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post

I don't see why five bedrooms would be too small. That is thevsanevanount if bedrooms as Kate and William who have three kids. Bedroom count doesn't count staff rooms like a nanny.

They would not done all this money as a hold over. They would either continue renting in the Cotswolds or something larger would be found in first place.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just an odd idea here. Looking at some of the overviews of Frogmore Cottage, it seems to have another building quite close to it. If so, couldn't that, at some time in the future, be renovated to be sort of a guest house/apartment for a visiting grandmother or friends? Or for security?

As building renovations and restoration plans have to be filed and approved, I seriously doubt that anything the Sussexes would do to Frogmore Cottage will go against those guidelines already in place for the residence. They're not about to paint the exterior a neon purple with electric blue trim or anything.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just an odd idea here. Looking at some of the overviews of Frogmore Cottage, it seems to have another building quite close to it. If so, couldn't that, at some time in the future, be renovated to be sort of a guest house/apartment for a visiting grandmother or friends? Or for security?

As building renovations and restoration plans have to be filed and approved, I seriously doubt that anything the Sussexes would do to Frogmore Cottage will go against those guidelines already in place for the residence. They're not about to paint the exterior a neon purple with electric blue trim or anything.
It could be. Security doesn't live in house anyways.

But they don't likely need a guest house. Even if they have two kids, that leaves two guest rooms in the main house. If Kate and wills, can make do with five bedrooms, I am sure Harry send Meghan can.

As for the renovations they will be even more caution about resorting historical integrity then others. A,one other things, house is owned by crown estate not them. A lot you can do to modernize interior without losing integrity.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Well, if Charles has any say the reno will surely play it safe...we all know how he feels about modern vs. historic architecture. And on a macro level he holds the Sussex purse strings.

That said, the current collection of royal residences contains a variety of historic styles because for centuries royals felt free to build and renovate in the vernacular of their time. It seems a little strange that everything, even smaller structures with less of a clearly important history, should now be kept in amber to the point that no generations past Victoria or Edward’s leave a strong architectural mark for future Britons to enjoy as a glimpse at this time.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

We don’t have any pics of the current state of the cottage while under construction. Since we’re looking at the old pics of the cottage, tons of work is needed for that place. I hope whatever they do, their new home will help bring many years of joy to them.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Well, if Charles has any say the reno will surely play it safe...we all know how he feels about modern vs. historic architecture. And on a macro level he holds the Sussex purse strings.

That said, the current collection of royal residences contains a variety of historic styles because for centuries royals felt free to build and renovate in the vernacular of their time. It seems a little strange that everything, even smaller structures with less of a clearly important history, should now be kept in amber to the point that no generations past Victoria or Edward’s leave a strong architectural mark for future Britons to enjoy as a glimpse at this time.
There is a mark of the time. New builds. There is no reason to reconstruct old buildings into modern buildings to leave their touch. The U.K. is a lively blend of many different design styles for centuries long before Victoria and now periods after.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

HTML Code:
strong architectural mark for future Britons to enjoy as a glimpse at this time.
I refer you to the now [mercifully] demolished 'Southyork' as an indication of how modern Royal architectural 'taste' might be, and wonder how future generations may judge it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	southyork.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	301481  
Old 11-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Seeing has how I am NOT a fan of modern style or minimalist design ...I think it would be a crime to take a historic building like that and make it into something it's not.

I've seen enough renos on old and historic houses to know you can modernize the interior while keeping the integrity. Of course from how it sounds the interior has been butchered previously ..at least some period elements totally removed.

LaRae

Look, we are talking about the son of Prince Charles.... Doesn't that says enough about respecting historic buildings?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can see Charles getting his little fingerprints all over this restoration. Its something he loves and something he's quite knowledgeable about. The man has good tastes and I'm sure Harry and Meghan will value his input and suggestions. I would be surprised either if Charles is helping out financially with the interior decorating as he helped Will and Kate with the interior of Apt. 1A at KP.

I'm sure it'll all turn out beautifully.