The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly!!! Meghan is already working for the Royal Foundation. She was part of the panel who chose the winners for the Endeavour Awards. She presented one if the prizes. Her charity interests will become part of the Royal Foundation.

So why should she be quiet and appear as though she has no involvement with the royal foundation when she clearly does?

Last edited:
it is true that meghan shows passion, but her voice as someone who is not yet a royal and has not been involved with the foundation should have been more subdued in my opinion. this event is about the royal foundation, and it was founded by william, kate and harry. i find it disrespectful to hoard the floor on your past work or your beliefs or disbeliefs which are unrelated to the foundation - in fact, women empowerment is nowhere to be seen in the projects the foundation works on (at least currently, i am sure meghan will change that, which is great and i look forward to seeing her work on the topic):

https://www.royalfoundation.com/our-work/

there are 4 people here who represent a higher institution - it would be great if in the future they strive for a more even tone of speech, without the need for any of them to show off or attract attention onto them. that is a big part of good performing teams.

nice touch to let kate do the speech, since she was the person who started the idea of the foundation, according to william and harry.

She did not hoard the floor, she was asked by the presenter about how all her past philanthropy work and how may her future work with the Foundation would compare so she is right to draw on her experience of that. Meghan spoke twice in total and interjected at the end when Kate had finished her point. What should she do sit down and say little as possible? No. She has experience let her speak on it and not let others speak on her behalf because she is a woman with a voice and a platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is true that meghan shows passion, but her voice as someone who is not yet a royal and has not been involved with the foundation should have been more subdued in my opinion. this event is about the royal foundation, and it was founded by william, kate and harry. i find it disrespectful to hoard the floor on your past work or your beliefs or disbeliefs which are unrelated to the foundation - in fact, women empowerment is nowhere to be seen in the projects the foundation works on (at least currently, i am sure meghan will change that, which is great and i look forward to seeing her work on the topic):

there are 4 people here who represent a higher institution - it would be great if in the future they strive for a more even tone of speech, without the need for any of them to show off or attract attention onto them. that is a big part of good performing teams.

nice touch to let kate do the speech, since she was the person who started the idea of the foundation, according to william and harry.

Two problems here. One, she didn’t hoard the attention. The forum was pretty evenly spread out with questions to all four and discussion points from all of them. In fact, the forum was also designed not to talk about only what has happened, but also where it’s going. Two, the interviewer directly asked Meghan about her future plans and brought up her past work. So if she just sat there and smiled and nodded her head he whole time, it’d be extremely awkward. Perhaps the perception that Meghan took unfair portion of the time at the forum is from the media coverage. However, if people watched what happened, that’s just not what happened. The media coverage focused a lot on Meghan because they’ve seen the other three together before, but it’s the first time Meghan is joining the group in a work capacity.

On top of that, Meghan did have a very good point that was precise and commented on a common misconception about what needs to be done for women empowerment right now. I follow some of the royal correspondents on Twitter, and I can say a lot of the female reporters retweeted that specific quote and were so impressed with her for saying it. A lot of them also support female empowerment and equal rights outside of their jobs.

Last edited:
If you watch the whole event (35 min roughly) you see that things are very much balanced out. The interviewer went down the line asking each of them questions.

Then due to it being a more relaxed format they all interjected at times. The whole discussion about 'disagreements' was quite funny.

LaRae

People have to remember...William, Catherine, Harry and Meghan have roles to play in their foundation. No one is looking to outshine the other, but they all have their own strengths and that must be respected by the media and public.

Obviously, Meghan have more experience in some areas than Catherine, but no one should use that to make it seem like she’s trying to step on Catherine’s toes and not respecting her position.

I think royal watchers online should not follow the media’s lead on trying to create unnecessary and false tension between these two ladies. Especially when it comes to their work in this foundation.

Obviously, Meghan have more experience in some areas than Catherine

And Catherine has more experience than Meghan in some areas. Catherine is Patron of 17 individual charities plus she’s joint Patron of the Royal Foundation.

And Catherine has more experience than Meghan in some areas. Catherine is Patron of 17 individual charities plus she’s joint Patron of the Royal Foundation.

I doubt Dman was trying to shade Kate. We all know she’s been married into the royal life for longer. Dman’s point was that Meghan wasn’t trying to step on Kate’s toes as some here have said.

Reactions: ACO

Right, but I just don’t think people should try to use Meghan’s media related experiences to create this imaginary tension between the two ladies.

Catherine have eight years of experience of being a working senior royal under her belt. I’m sure Meghan fully respect and appreciate Catherine’s position.

They will go forward doing the work of this foundation as a team by bringing their own experiences and passions to the table.

The DF coming up with a body language section don’t help things.

Last edited:
For all the criticism on the younger generation not doing enough, shouldn’t we be glad the latest addition to that generation is doing her homework in researching charities she’d be interested in working with and issues she wants to take on in such an enthusiastic manner while engaged so that she can hit the ground running when she is married? I mean she can realistically wait until after the wedding and then take years to adjust and still have the excuse of adjusting to royal life. I’m not saying she’s going to all of sudden have as many patronages as those that have been doing it for years, but she’s certainly seem to want to do the job.

And don’t get me started on the headlines yesterday. Of all the things that were talked about, some of the headlines decided to make it a battle of the dresses. I’ve got no problem with people talking about fashion, I do it. Especially if the clothes highlights a worthy issue. But I don’t think, with all the things that was discussed, its importance deserved the headline.

Last edited:
I doubt Dman was trying to shade Kate. We all know she’s been married into the royal life for longer. Dman’s point was that Meghan wasn’t trying to step on Kate’s toes as some here have said.

Agreed. Of course Kate has more experience with the royal life. At this point she has been in it half her life. That doesn't change that Meghan also has more experience with the media portion and is more comfortable in that setting. Both are facts. It is not a slight against either when pointed out.

Meghan was part of the foundation discussion. She was directly asked questions and had a mic hooked up to her. Was she not suppose to talk? She actually talked the least which was expected. It is just that what she said made for the press soundbites because she is the new one in town.

The problem is many people only get their news from soundbites or clips and those are never/rarely balanced. And thereby get entirely wrong impressions of people/events.
Whichever reporter, network, website is using them has a story or agenda they are supporting.

So, no Meghan did not take over the foundation discussion if you take it as a whole but I understand how that impression can be given by a story and 90 second clip.

True! If I had not watched the entire video on this forum and relied only on the BBC report from royal reporter Nicholas Witchell, I would've gotten the impression that only William and Meghan spoke!!!! Witchell even said that the greatest attention was on the newcomer Meghan Markle which was not true!!!

Today, March 1, the Duke of Cambridge presented new workplace mental health initiatives at Unilever House in London. He stressed the importance of mental wellbeing at work by introducing a new Heads Together workplace mental health initiative:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

Today, March 1, the Duke of Cambridge presented new workplace mental health initiatives at Unilever House in London. He stressed the importance of mental wellbeing at work by introducing a new Heads Together workplace mental health initiative:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

They are launching social media platforms per his speech. This must phase one of the global explanation William referenced at the forum yesterday. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future.

According to The Royal Foundation's website, even if it was established in 2009 it did not become fully operational until 2011.

According to The Royal Foundation's website, even if it was established in 2009 it did not become fully operational until 2011.

The Royal Foundation was set up as Royal Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry in 2009. It was renamed Royal Foundation of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry in 2011 after the Cambridges married. So technically, it's true that in today's name, it was established in 2011. However, it was not something new in 2011. It was already existing, just under a different name. It was always as operational as it needed to be. Obviously it grew over the years as the young royals took on more issues, but that's always been the vehicle they used for their charitable endeavors.

Last edited:
The Royal Foundation was set up as Royal Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry in 2009. It was renamed Royal Foundation of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry in 2011 after the Cambridges married. So technically, it's true that in today's name, it was established in 2011. However, it was not something new in 2011. It was already existing, just under a different name. It was always as operational as it needed to be. Obviously it grew over the years as the young royals took on more issues, but that's always been the vehicle they used for their charitable endeavors.

Correct and the name will be changed again come May.

Monica was just quoting what the website says. Fully operational in 2011.

“The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry was legally established by The Princes in September 2009 and became fully operational in 2011. Along with The Duchess of Cambridge who is now officially a Patron, they intend to use the Foundation as the main vehicle for their philanthropic activities.“

The Royal Foundation

Two charities Catherine took on this past week, Nursing Now and The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, proudly point out their work with woman.

The RCOG works around the world to support women’s health.

Nursing Now is a global campaign, launched with support from The World Health Organisation. Catherine was photographed with various UN health officials.

So there’s plenty of opportunities for Meghan to champion her own causes but that will compliment the work already being done by W,C&H.

I absolutely agree with your post Carlota and, as I said elsewhere on this forum, she made sure to have the last word and she shouldn't have. ? The only thing I can say is that the BBC interviewer (of course) asked a leading question about women empowerment, but MM should have been wise enough to steer the course of her answer.

I absolutely agree with your post Carlota and, as I said elsewhere on this forum, she made sure to have the last word and she shouldn't have. ? The only thing I can say is that the BBC interviewer (of course) asked a leading question about women empowerment, but MM should have been wise enough to steer the course of her answer.

Why? Legit question. It will be her focus and she had a right to speak on it as much as the others. In fact KP issued a statement to the press backing her. So clearly it was well planned out. She didn't take over the panel. She spoke the least of all of them. If the BRF didn't want Meghan involved and speaking her mind then she wouldn't have been included. Not like she was required yet.

How is it that she had to have the last word? Because she had an view to the topic being discussed and offered? They all jumped into at some point when they wanted to add to the answer. If they didn't want her to participate, they wouldn't have invited her. The host and Meghan spoke up at the same time. Some are acting like Meghan realized the host is ending the discussion and decided now is the time to have the last word. And how is she not wise by answering in the interviewer's question in a very well spoken way? Because her answer was very good and some felt that took too much attention away?

It's really a sad situation when women are arguing over two women. Meghan didn't do anything wrong. She answered the questions in a thoughtful and articulate way, and she never disrespected anyone. The trio seemed very pleased to have her there. If they didn't want her input, she wouldn't have been invited to attend or she could have sat in the audience.

Harry is going to want his wife to be by his side at these events, just as William has had the pleasure of Kate's assistance. Harry loves Meghan, and he clearly appreciates her vast knowledge of certain issues. She's there to help him, not to harm him or any members of his family - that includes Kate. Fans of these women seem to have more issues with one another than Meghan and Kate seem to have with each other.

I think they will work just fine together. Harry said during the engagement interview that Meghan will be a team player. Can’t ask for more than that.

We have a pretty good idea what her interests are. It’ll be interesting to see what she picks as her initial charities.

Monica was just quoting what the website says. Fully operational in 2011.

“The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry was legally established by The Princes in September 2009 and became fully operational in 2011. Along with The Duchess of Cambridge who is now officially a Patron, they intend to use the Foundation as the main vehicle for their philanthropic activities.“

The Royal Foundation
You are correct. However, before William and Harry sat down a figured out they could halve their administration and double their usefulness by creating the Royal Foundation, both William and Harry were already invested in charities that spoke to them as individuals. That and the notion that they were uniquely placed to become charity facilitators has produced a workable foundation while still allowing time for specific personal interests.

I'm curious, why Meghan shouldn't have answered the question the way she did?
Why shouldn't Meghan commented after Catherine did?

I haven't had a chance to sit and watch the video yet but I'd like to chime in on the "talking over" thing.

It seems that way this interview was conducted that it was mean to be more along the lines of "the four of us" chiming in when talking about something. It wasn't structured as to whose turn it was to speak. A more structured interview with each given a certain amount of time to speak and answer a question just wouldn't have had the same effect as "the four of them" talking as a whole and stating something when the occasion arose that added to the material.

None of the four were to be singled out and to me, that sounds like it was perfect for denoting all four of them were working together on this. As Dman would say, it alludes more to #TheFabFour as a team rather than four individuals. It seems they had quite a good time with it.

Your impression is a bit off. It was very much answering questions one by one (in the order they were seated in). Only at the end it was a bit more of a general conversation about disagreements while working together as a family. William and especially Harry took the lead and at the end Catherine chimed in and probably Meghan felt that she had to contribute as well which resulted in her being the 'closing' speaker.

Your impression is a bit off. It was very much answering questions one by one (in the order they were seated in). Only at the end it was a bit more of a general conversation about disagreements while working together as a family. William and especially Harry took the lead and at the end Catherine chimed in and probably Meghan felt that she had to contribute as well which resulted in her being the 'closing' speaker.

Yea, I think it was just a matter of all of them caught in a discussion. And Meghan did have a point about pushing the envelope that tied into Harry’s discussion about different personalities bringing different things to the table. Her point is that working together is also about challenging each other to go that extra mile and sometimes that’s through disagreements. Which is very true.

The work the Cambridge’s and Harry and Meghan are doing in the Royal Foundation are relevant, present new challenges and is with the times. The samething can be said about the Prince’s Trust.

The addition of Meghan to that little group shows a lot of promise and I love the dynamic whereby each person's forte seems to be enabled. But sticking to the ladies, Catherine watches, listens and learns, whilst Meghan speaks with passion and knowledge. I think that put the original interviewer unexpectedly on the back foot, while Rachel Johnson was out of her depth so she indulged in a little tall poppy syndrome.

As to Harry biting his lip, well I think he was trying not to laugh as Meghan all but ran right over the interviewer. If anyone knows Meghan it is Harry and I think William and Catherine have learned Harry has his very own 'Pocket Rocket' who can more than hold her own. A very welcome addition to the foundation.

Check out the faces of Harry and William, and Catherine looks totally relaxed an has a blissful little smile on her face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom