State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think, the most important question for jewel-Lovers like me will be: will Maxima wear the Stuart Tiara (in full size)?
BYe Bine

I think, the most important question for jewel-Lovers like me will be: will Maxima wear the Stuart Tiara (in full size)?
BYe Bine

I think she will wear the Stuart diamond because of its British connection, but will wear the side diamonds as earrings as she did at the Luxembourg state visit .

Yes, it will be held at Buckingham Palace, this was mentioned in the communiqué by the Court: https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-king-and-queen-netherlands

Back then in 1982 Queen Beatrix used Hampton Court Palace as venue for her counter-event. This because Hampton Court has strong links to Willem III of Nassau and Mary II Stuart, Prince and Princess of Orange.

No idea what the counter-event of King Willem-Alexander will be. On the website of the Koninklijk Huis is stated in Dutch that "this State Visit reaffirms the excellent ties between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom as North Sea neighbours, based on shared values in the past, the present and the future". More details will follow.

Last edited:
Yes, it will be held at Buckingham Palace, this was mentioned in the communiqué by the Court: https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-king-and-queen-netherlands

Back then in 1982 Queen Beatrix used Hampton Court Palace as venue for her counter-event. This because Hampton Court has strong links to Willem III of Nassau and Mary II Stuart, Prince and Princess of Orange.

No idea what the counter-event of King Willem-Alexander will be. On the website of the Koninklijk Huis is stated in Dutch that "this State Visit reaffirms the excellent ties between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom as North Sea neighbours, based on shared values in the past, the present and the future". More details will follow.

I am not sure there will be a return event considering that it is only a two-day visit.

One theory I've seen about why Kate doesn't have a family order (or at least HMs) is that the Queen's family order (with her picture on it) is produced on ivory which William is vehemently against.

Unless Kate gets a specially made ivory free order I think the status quo, where Kate doesn't have a family order but still gets sentimental jewelry loans like the Queen's wedding gift bracelet to show it isn't a snub, holds until the family order becomes ivory free (likely under Charles or William).

I can be made in other materials I believe. Ivory isn't an unsolvable problem. It's more like the Queen doesn't prefer giving RFO to anyone from the third generation to me.

I guess W-A will get the Garter, it's very strange if he as a king still doesn't get it. I wouldn't be surprised if Maxima receives nothing (same as Letizia) but of course hopefully not.

The British, the only thing I can assume is that Camilla will receive an order from the Dutch (Order of Orange-Nassau? same as Charles). For the rest I think probably only these who involves in the state visit will receive an order, like what happens in last year Spain visits. (OT but I kinda like that approach, nothing will be given unless you are the monarch/consort/heir or you contribute to the visit)

how absolutely exciting! i am very much looking forward.

may i ask if there is any protocol regarding which heads of state get invited first on state visit? i noticed that HM invited felipe and letizia before WA and maxima even though WA and maxima have been in the throne for longer.

It’s actually the government that decides on state visits. The invitation is sent on behalf of The Queen, but she doesn’t have any say in who is invited.

BYe Bine
I am hoping for a very regal tiara choice for Maxima. As much as I love the Diamond Bandeau on Maxima, I want to see something with a little more grandeur for the banquet.

I am surprised to hear the news about this unexpected state visit. Personally, I think a Belgian state visit would have been more urgent (considering that the last one was in the 1960s), but I guess that was a political decision of the British government.
I think the British government had taken the view that the Belgians have neither the political or the economic might to warrant a state visit.

Yes, I have actually read most noted bios on the Queen and many other sources because I am not someone who makes statements without having done my research. And I stand by my opinion. Thanks.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but it does not coincide with facts.

Anyway, I won't go into why HM is a modern monarch in this thread.

--------------------

If its in October, my guess would be that it'll be held at Buckingham Palace. More regal and the "main house" of the British monarchy to welcome the King and Queen of the Netherlands.
And here I'm being disappointed by the fact that it isn't going to take place at Windsor Castle, who is much grander & regal than BP.
I would also have preferred a summer visit, so the Queen and King WA could have used the 1902 State Landau (as HM and King Felipe did last year), but I assume that it didn't work out with their program and stuff.

Last edited:
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but it does not coincide with facts.

Anyway, I won't go into why HM is a modern monarch in this thread.

--------------------

And here I'm being disappointed by the fact that it isn't going to take place at Windsor Castle, who is much grander & regal than BP.
I would also have preferred a summer visit, so the Queen and King WA could have used the 1902 State Landau (as HM and King Felipe did last year), but I assume that it didn't work out with their program and stuff.

To be absolutely honest, if it was me coming in for a state visit to the UK, I'd much prefer Windsor Castle myself. BP just never enthralled me the way Windsor Castle does.

I am hoping for a very regal tiara choice for Maxima. As much as I love the Diamond Bandeau on Maxima, I want to see something with a little more grandeur for the banquet.

There is no question that Maxima will wear one of the big guns. The debate seems to be only which one.

One can be sure that Queen Maxima will do a wonderful job wearing splendid jewellery and, hopefully, Jan Taminiau's creations.

There is no question that Maxima will wear one of the big guns. The debate seems to be only which one.

I'm sooo disappointed there won't be a Guildhall banquet too, the more jewels the merrier. I don't get why this visit isn't 3 days as the recent Spanish one was.

I can't see why it wouldn't be a 3 day visit as even after the constant change of date for the Spanish state visit they found 3 days to fit it in. I wonder if the Dutch delegation couldn't fit it in. That said if you don't include travelling days two days is still really enough, the third day of most state visits usually starts with a formal farewell at BP/Windsor before the visiting Head of State goes on to visit somewhere further afield for business, academic purposes.

I'm sooo disappointed there won't be a Guildhall banquet too, the more jewels the merrier. I don't get why this visit isn't 3 days as the recent Spanish one was.
Well, most likely they will leave the UK early on October 25th, so I would therefore assume that there will be a Guildhall banquet on the second day of the visit.

To be absolutely honest, if it was me coming in for a state visit to the UK, I'd much prefer Windsor Castle myself. BP just never enthralled me the way Windsor Castle does.

Especially if there are renovations going on! Windsor looked so beautiful for Harry & Meghan’s wedding

I am not sure there will be a return event considering that it is only a two-day visit.

The king always sems to host some kind of return event. I even expect it to be in the evening. There is no reason why they cannot stay for one more night (at Mabel's home for example) or fly home late at night.

The king always sems to host some kind of return event. I even expect it to be in the evening. There is no reason why they cannot stay for one more night (at Mabel's home for example) or fly home late at night.

Mabel's residence is not needed. Like in Paris (where the Ambassador's glorious residence was used for the film Intouchables), also in London the King's Ambassador lives in a splendid city mansion at Hyde Park, which is at His Majesty's disposal when in London...

The King's return event in the Petit-Palais in Paris was spectacular. When the King hosts a return event, I expect a spectacular venue as well in London.
The King's return event in Paris, with footmen holding torches, spectacular decorations, etc.: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/--fgctyqh...5GoAU_rG1yEG5_-WCo9Uw/s600/Queen-Maxima-5.jpg

I think the sudden announcement of the State Visit by King Willem-Alexander has to do with last Tuesday. The Dutch Prime Minister received Ms Theresa May at the Catshuis in The Hague (his official residence), see picture. I am sure that, as a token that leaving the EU does not mean leaving Europe, this visit was agreed.

The Netherlands will follow the USA and relocate their embassy to Nine Elms near Vauxhall. At the moment the Dutch Embassy is a big building in Hyde Park (see picture). The new 75,000 sq. ft. Dutch Embassy is set to open in 2018/2019 next to the American, adjacent to Embassy Gardens.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be strange if Kate did receive Dutch order, while she is not having any British order.

Maybe she will receive RFO due to Dutch state visit?

It would be strange if Kate did receive Dutch order, while she is not having any British order.

Many of the senior royal women receives foreign orders before they get a British order. The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II is a personal family momento which the senior ladies wear on official functions and state occasions. Something she should’ve already received.

It would be nice if the King granted Catherine and Camilla and William an order during the State Visit.

It usually depends on who is actively involved in the state visit. I certainly hope Camilla will get a state order. If Kate and William are involved directly, I'd think they will get one as well.

We saw this with the Spanish state visit. Harry, Andrew and Anne all received a Spanish order as they were involved directly with the visit. While the Cambridges were not and did not receive one.

It usually depends on who is actively involved in the state visit. I certainly hope Camilla will get a state order. If Kate and William are involved directly, I'd think they will get one as well.

We saw this with the Spanish state visit. Harry, Andrew and Anne all received a Spanish order as they were involved directly with the visit. While the Cambridges were not and did not receive one.

Which was rather weird as they did attend the most important event: the state dinner and were seated more prominently than the recipients of the various orders.

Didn't the same happen to Diana ? I don't find it strange at all.

Didn't the same happen to Diana ? I don't find it strange at all.

She received the Grand Cross of the order of the Crown from Beatrix in 1982. She received an RFO from The Queen in 1981 apparently. I don't know if that counts.

But I do agree that I don't find it strange, foreign orders are handed out at State Visits quite "willingly" whereas British ones to British royal aren't.

We should be learning more about the State Visit soon.

Back
Top Bottom