The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
This is one interview too far. I think we can safely say that at the next Coronation Harry and Meghan will be guest presenters on US prime time taking us through the ceremony based on Harry's previous experience of state ceremonies. Sad and tawdry affair. Their titles need to go at some time before they cash in on them completely. The question is timing. The Monarchy won't want to look petty or vindictive, and I guess they hope that the titles have some kind of a restraining influence on them. I dread to think what these loose cannons will say and do once they are completely cast adrift.
I really do not think it will go this far - I think the Windsor's learned from the Duke of Windsor that completely cutting the family off from each other was not the way to go. So yes they will be at the next coronation.

It is just - how many times do you need to set the story straight or to put forward your version of the story? Yes - I know that we have to believe that they they had nothing to do with Omid Scoobie's book. But there comes a time when even Meghan and Harry have to realize that they cannot expect the world to love them. Lets hope they draw a line in the sand and move on now.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:19 PM
Serene Highness

I hope so. Everyone's got grievances against someone ... OK, not usually the media, but maybe an ex-partner, an ex-boss, or an ex-friend who treated you badly. There comes a point where you have to let it go and move on.

We don't actually know what they're going to say. They may surprise us and say that they want to talk about the Invictus Games!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I think people expecting this to be some huge attack on the royal family will be very disappointed. Equally I think those who think the Sussexes will be banned from the family, public events, and all of the UK, will also be disappointed.

I doubt this will be anything scandalous. We all know they will have as much control as they can. They would not have agreed to it if not so. It will be their opportunity to answer some softball questions but mostly promote their projects -- some of which are in partnership with Oprah herself.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:43 PM
Courtier

I sat here for a while debating with myself if I should post this here or not. In 1997 when Pss Diana had the tragic Accident in Paris in the Alma Tunnel and so sadly paid with her life and left two young children behind. The day of the funeral and Harry, William walked behind their beloved Mothers coffin, with Father Charles, Grandfather Phillip and Uncle Charles Spencer. The sadness on his little face was heartbreaking. It caused a lot of pain and emptiness in him, which is understandable. Maybe this will explain a lot about his actions in later years. When his Father married Camilla in 2005 and a year later they came to New York, to lay flowers at the 9/11 Memorial, there was a small segment on the Oprah show, she said at the time, that she wants Camilla on her show and put her in the HOT seat about Diana. Oprah needed to be silent. If she ask Camilla to be a guest on her show I don't know, but I read Camilla's Office declined the invitation. Good for them. Harry was special to the people he met and especially to the children around the world, when he made visits, he was like a big brother returning from a trip and was happy to be with them again. He was happy as a Soldier, he was one of them, when he exited the Military he changed MO, he was lost. Sadly to say after he married, he lost some of himself, he was made to change, sorry to say this, but not for the better. Turning his Back on the Family he knew, was born into it, he grew up with and his friends made him bitter IMO. A few years later Oprah went to Denmark with the Obamas to talk about the Olympic Games being held in Chicago, the Games where held in a nother City, I don't remember where, not important anyway. But Oprah tried to get CPss Mary on her show, but she also declined. The only one who went on her show was Queen Rania of Jordan, because she wanted to get the word out about the charities she started or wanted donations for existing ones. Lots of people watched her. It seems to me Oprah has the need to surround herself with Royals, maybe I am wrong, but it is a money maker for her. Harry and Meghan being interviewed will put a feather in her cap.?
Old 02-16-2021, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I don’t think the RF expects anyone to be cut off, never to attend family events again or whatever else. The RF works in two ways- official working royals who represent the Queen, carry out official duties, have patronages and make visits recorded in the CC OR members of the Queen's family who have their own lives doing day jobs or managing their own finances and who don’t formally represent the Queen. Its clear BP doesn’t want a middle ground half one or other and that is only fair.
If H&M aren’t working royals then they don’t have to run things like this through BP or follow the rules other royals do, but they also can’t do the official stuff working royals do. It really is quite simple. With this interview they are saying they are moving into celeb line of work- absolutely fine. Then just like Zara and Mike or Peter and Autumn they can do as they please business wise but can’t also be HM’s official representatives. They can have personal charities to support but those which are “official” expect working royals who represent the Queen and country not some LA based celebs who appear from time to time. I’m also sure when HM gave her own patronage of the National Theatre to Meghan it was on the hope Meghan would have more personal interest and role in it than HM was- evidently that is not now the case.
Of course H&M will remain part of the Queen's family and attend personal family events just as the Queen’s family all do.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

Any formal public appearances with the Sussexes & the monarch will be seen as acceptance or tacit encouragement of their behaviour. It's certainly not in the interests of the monarchy to give the British public that impression. Best leave all contact private.

Otherwise cynicism will snowball into hostility or contempt, especially in the next reign.

Leave the Sussexes in America to sell themselves for a mess of pottage.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

I agree with posts above about Harry and Meghan becoming American celebrities. It's the template they've been using from the beginning. Now that their official ties with the BRF have been cut they're free to decide what kind of public people they want to try to be. The tension comes from the fact that their celebrity is based on Harry's royal status; that's the only thing they have to barter to get this level of exposure. So, while Oprah's not going to throw any hardball questions at them, she's not going to be interested in spending 90 minutes talking about Archewell. Which is good, because I don't think Harry and Meghan are interested in spending 90 minutes talking about Archewell, either. There will be lots of talk about Archie and the new baby, probably the miscarriage, the lawsuit, the evil British press, Diana, the trauma, the pressure. Maybe some backhanded comments re: the BRF, along the lines of Harry's prior statement about his relationship with William, but nothing that goes too far. But nothing hugely surprising, and certainly no acknowledgement that they're anything other than the victims in whatever story they decide to tell.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don’t think the RF expects anyone to be cut off, never to attend family events again or whatever else. The RF works in two ways- official working royals who represent the Queen, carry out official duties, have patronages and make visits recorded in the CC OR members of the Queen's family who have their own lives doing day jobs or managing their own finances and who don’t formally represent the Queen. Its clear BP doesn’t want a middle ground half one or other and that is only fair.
If H&M aren’t working royals then they don’t have to run things like this through BP or follow the rules other royals do, but they also can’t do the official stuff working royals do. It really is quite simple. With this interview they are saying they are moving into celeb line of work- absolutely fine. Then just like Zara and Mike or Peter and Autumn they can do as they please business wise but can’t also be HM’s official representatives. They can have personal charities to support but those which are “official” expect working royals who represent the Queen and country not some LA based celebs who appear from time to time. I’m also sure when HM gave her own patronage of the National Theatre to Meghan it was on the hope Meghan would have more personal interest and role in it than HM was- evidently that is not now the case.
Of course H&M will remain part of the Queen's family and attend personal family events just as the Queen’s family all do.

I agree. IMHO the Sussexes will be part of the extended family who happen to have titles like Prince/Princess Michael of Kent, the York Princesses and some of the children of the Gloucesters/Kents. I believe in the coming years that they'll occasionally be in attendance at large family events ie: Balcony appearance for Trooping the Color, the annual Christmas luncheon or family weddings.

Likewise I agree that those royal patronages that were passed down from QEII and the DoE will likely be given over to other members of the family as well as Prince Harry's honorary military appointments. As for their other patronages ie Well Child, then IMHO it's up to the organization to determine if they want to retain them as patrons and for the Sussexes to decide if they wish to continue in that role.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

There's plenty of evidence that the Sussexes are unpopular & divisive in a way that (with one exception) other members of the family are just not. Most of them barely register at all. Most of them wouldn't be recognised on the street.

The very fact that they're being interviewed only as a direct consequence of who they are will do them no favours in Britain.

I think there's a danger of underestimating the strength of dislike for many of their actions. I think there's also a danger of overestimating public support for the idea of a royal family. Not the monarchy, that's a different if related issue.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

It is just - how many times do you need to set the story straight or to put forward your version of the story? Yes - I know that we have to believe that they they had nothing to do with Omid Scoobie's book. But there comes a time when even Meghan and Harry have to realize that they cannot expect the world to love them. Lets hope they draw a line in the sand and move on now.

This. Even if we think that the interview is a way of publicizing Archewell, they should think twice about the wisdom of this approach. It should be a one-off occurrence. Oprah will throw a few softball questions about royal life and Meghan will say how hard it was. I have never believed that Oprah is a very good interviewer--she likes to play to the audience--but H and M clearly feel safe with her. They are in the position of needing the exposure to further their work, but they might find out that they cannot control all aspects of that exposure. In my view, it would be best to work their connections more privately and grow their philanthropic efforts slowly.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:06 PM
Courtier

I have to confess, I am exited about the upcoming Interview with Oprah... - but for all the wrong reasons!

Sure, they will talk about Diana - but how so, without shining a bad light onto Diana's husband, the future Monarch, and the Queen herself?

What else can they talk about? Not much! The evil British press? ... is probably not worse than the evil American press....

Harry's war adventures in Afghanistan? In the anglo-saxon culture one leaves it all at the battlefield and does not bring it home, expect the heroes, which get book deals and all.

Harry's love for animals? Well, he has been a hunter...! Not cool for many millennials probably.

So, what is left, is the dis-functional British Royal Family, some kind of Star-Wars-Story, with Harry as Annakin's son, Diana as Princess Amidala and so on...

Yep, I am really exited!
Old 02-16-2021, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well, I personally am looking forward to the Sussexes interview. They aren't senior royals and don't live in the UK anymore. It will indeed be interesting to see what they'll have to say.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-16-2021, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

A YouGov poll was conducted with 4334 British adults (Age 18+), where they were asked Do you think it is appropriate or inappropriate for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan) to give a 90-minute interview to Oprah Winfrey, including about their experiences with the Royal Family?
It is appropriate- 29%
It is inappropriate- 46%
Don't know- 25%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics.../02/16/645ef/1

I understand that the last bit "including about their experiences with the Royal Family" of the question could be bias/misleading in persuading the surveyed people to say "It is inappropriate". There is also 25% don't know. Like previous royal polls, it's the older age groups (50-65 & 65+), Conservative voter and Leavers who are pulling the "It is inappropriate" response up. Again, these people are more likely to be pro-royal family monarchists. Unlike some royal polls, this survey is under the Politics heading rather than Entertainment.

This poll does somehow reinforce that if Harry & Meghan do mention about the royal family in the Oprah's interview (chances/probability are unknown), it would probably not go down well with the British public. I have encountered some staunch Sussex critics online who not only wants Harry & Meghan to lose their royal patronages and titles, but also wants Harry and his descendants to be remove from the line of succession!

The reason they stated is that the Sussexes are less likely to be living permanently in the UK. I guess this kind of ties into Counsellor of States in the Privy Councils where the staunch critics did not want the Sussexes to be involved or get information on State affairs (politics, government, constitution...). As far as concern, only an Act in Parliament (not just in the UK) could remove a royal family member from the line of succession.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:01 PM
Aristocracy

TLLK - A balcony appearance is very different to attending private gatherings as royal family members. There will be no balcony appearances, I am sure of that.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for posting that AC. So only a minority approve. No surprises there. CBS themselves say that the interview will touch upon life in the royal family. So I don't think it's an unfair subject to include in the question yougov asked.

PS Since the topic was raised - how many countries in the world require their head of state to be born in the country concerned? I know the USA does for one. Debate for another thread I guess.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/da...ge-2021-02-16/

Say what you want about British tabloids but sometimes, just sometimes, they're genuinely a breath of fresh air.
And are they going to tell All? I'm sure if they do (which they won't) the Star, along with all the other grubby tabloids, will be right there lapping it all up!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And are they going to tell All? I'm sure if they do (which they won't) the Star, along with all the other grubby tabloids, will be right there lapping it all up!
It's funny & tongue in cheek! It's an example of pricking pomposities & doing what the tabloids can do so well.

But yes we know what depths they can plunge to & indeed the scandals that forced The News of The World to close.

Dare I mention that it was an Australian who introduced modern tabloid journalism into Britain?
Old 02-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
TLLK - A balcony appearance is very different to attending private gatherings as royal family members. There will be no balcony appearances, I am sure of that.
Balcony appearances are made by members of the British Royal Family whether or not they work for the "Firm" side of the family business. If balcony appearances were restricted to working "Firm" members only, the balcony would be less crowded and exclude all the Yorks, the Sussexes, Anne's children and grandchildren and quite a few more I'm just not thinking of right now.

The Sussexes, being on their own, are excluded from "Firm" business and representing the Queen and her monarchy and are private citizens. This is not ostracizing them from being members of the Queen's family. This interview coming up with Oprah on CBS is part and parcel of their private endeavors and really shouldn't reflect on the "Firm" or even the family in a negative way. I'm sure that Harry and Meghan will not "dish all" or denigrate or defame the BRF.

What it boils down to is that Harry and Meghan want to put a positive foot forward and talk about who they are, where they're going and what they hope to accomplish going into the future. This won't be accomplished by dredging up tabloid style whining and complaining and rehashing things that the tabloids feed on. The main focus will be on them and them alone. You don't build up a philanthropic foundation by denigrating and defaming what happened in the past. You look ahead to building a prosperous future.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree. IMHO the Sussexes will be part of the extended family who happen to have titles like Prince/Princess Michael of Kent, the York Princesses and some of the children of the Gloucesters/Kents. I believe in the coming years that they'll occasionally be in attendance at large family events ie: Balcony appearance for Trooping the Color, the annual Christmas luncheon or family weddings.
There is just one thing wrong with that scenario. Unlike the many cousins and second cousins of the monarch who throng the Balcony at Trooping etc, in the next reign Harry will be the monarch's son and Meghan that King's daughter in law. As the King's son and daughter in law they will have more right to appear on the Balcony than Alexandra's descendants, or the Duke of Kent's or Anne's etc.

Harry will remain Charles's son and William's brother for as long as he lives, as Joe Little of Majesty Magazine put it, Harry remains 'indelibly Royal'. And wherever he lives he will be a King's son and the next King's only brother, with everything that brings with it, including within the US.

The next reign will bring Harry closer to the Throne as the only other son of King Charles, not further away from it, a forgotten Royal on the side, as many here would like it.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It's funny & tongue in cheek! It's an example of pricking pomposities & doing what the tabloids can do so well.

But yes we know what depths they can plunge to & indeed the scandals that forced The News of The World to close.

Dare I mention that it was an Australian who introduced modern tabloid journalism into Britain?
I was born and brought up in England and have been back many times, sometimes for long stretches of time and know all about the British Press. I have always found that articles and pictures considered 'funny' are only considered so by those who dislike the people being made fun of.

Why is taking part in an interview with Oprah considered 'pompous'? The Sussexes never said they were never going to appear in public again or do interviews etc.

I think the people who could genuinely be regarded as pompous are the never ending talking heads and supposed 'Royal experts' who appear on TV and write newspaper columns weekly, pontificating about this couple and sitting in judgement in a way they would deeply object to if the tables were turned on them!

It's not just the Murdoch Press who enjoy baiting and tormenting the Sussexes in their pages, as well as many many others, but all the tabloids, who use the couple for Clickbait and to make money. In my view that is 1000 times worse than appearing with Oprah for an interview that is not likely to contain anything untoward.

Closed Thread