Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch and don't intend to, but the way Harry insists that Meghan is just "just like my Mum" causes me to seriously wonder where his head is.

Diana Frances Spencer..very young..limited formal education..sexually inexperienced, sheltered, insecure, but savvy in the ways of Court life and the Aristocracy.

Just like Meghan?

Had a tough time marrying in but in her own words decided to "swim instead of sink" and stuck with it for 15 years.

Just like Meghan?:cool:

Harry’s said things like this before and I think it’s a mix of genuine grief, wishful thinking and cynicism.
It’s cynical because he brings up his mother a lot in public conversations, not just the occasional remark about her accomplishments or how he misses her, but often comparing himself or Meghan to Diana - apparently they’re three peas in a pod!

I agree with you, Diana is often presented as some kind of royal rebel, but she wasn’t. She was perfectly willing to fit into the royal system; I think if she and Charles had been even slightly more compatible she would have continued to mostly play by the rules, because she liked the actual work of being the Princess of Wales, and knew she was very good at it.

Harry certainly seems like Diana (and Charles) in how he’s made poor choices with regard to his dealings with the press. But neither Charles nor Diana were entirely driven by their hearts - they were both capable of making rational decisions and were also able to keep their mouths shut when they judged that silence would benefit them more over the medium-long term. Diana, who never pretended to be academically gifted, was much more capable of thinking strategically than either her younger son or his supposedly bright wife.

Harry was a child who’d already been away at school for several years when his mother died. He saw her at weekends and holidays, and I’m sure she was mostly cheerful and fun with him during those times (although it’s interesting that William seems to have more complex and realistic memories of Diana). I’ve no doubt that Meghan can be similarly cheerful and fun when she wants to be. And Meghan, like Diana, has shown that she’s willing to manipulate people and situations to get what she wants. But those are pretty superficial similarities.

The paternal side of her family is pretty nightmarish and I sympathize deeply with her there. The drama with her siblings and father is a lot to bear on the public forum. The irony is that she and Harry are acting the same way as them, publicly bashing the BRF and making things difficult via the media.

I said the same thing to my husband last night. She is doing to the BRF what her family did to her before the wedding. One HUGE reason why I don't respect her.

The paternal side of her family is pretty nightmarish and I sympathize deeply with her there. The drama with her siblings and father is a lot to bear on the public forum. The irony is that she and Harry are acting the same way as them, publicly bashing the BRF and making things difficult via the media.

Ironic indeed!

I stand behind my previous post that I enjoyed hearing about the early days of their courtship. However ...

1.) why would they say that the engagement photocall was staged? If they hadn't been given any direction, they would both be criticizing the firm for not setting expectations and sending them out there unprepared. My God ... she's an actress. Isn't she used to getting direction on what to do/expect?
2.) there are no "surprise" luncheons with the Queen! She knew who was attending that luncheon. If she googled or Instagramed Harry before she met him ... don't tell me that she didn't google how to curtsy or she didn't see it a million times before in video/photographs!
3.) No color? Her entire life today is being shot in black x white photography ... as were some of her wedding pictures! She wore that inky green disaster to Louis' christening. She wore color during their Commonwealth tour of Australia and the Pacific Islands.
4.) Her first Walk About -- she didn't know what to wear? Really? You had a freakin' stylist in Canada who, by your own accounts, counseled you on what to wear. Really?
5.) Her friendship with Eugenie. If you were such good friends, why didn't you feel secure enough to call her -- Harry's much loved and trusted cousin -- to ask her advice? You are billed as a confident, well prepared woman who went to Northwestern (not a school for shrinking violets) ... you didn't have the confidence to ask Harry's cousin for advice?
6.) Who are all these friends who suddenly appear in the video? What happened to Jessica Mulroney? All the others who sat in the Choir at the wedding as if they were your family? I never saw this group of friends who appear in the video. Are you recycling friends?

Total hypocrisy ... on so many levels.

Excellent points. I guess they are never going to put themselves in the position where the inconsistencies are put to them in person. I suppose if Oprah had properly challenged them, then the Haz n Meg show might not be dragging on so long but they don’t want it called out so they can continue to seethe about everything.

Not usually in the habit of linking to The Mail but these three articles are worth a read. Lords Hall & Frost have held high public offices in Britain & know their respective briefs inside out. Criticism of H&M is no longer confined to certain sections of the public. It is also becoming more vocal & substantive.

The use of art that is not part of the Royal Collection is a damning indictment of Netflix's sloppiness or deception depending on your point of view. The entire Royal Collection is after all on line for public viewing. It's not a secret.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...BC-interview-Duchess-claims-orchestrated.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...illions-Brexit-voters-new-Netflix-series.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uggests-racist-imagery-Buckingham-Palace.html

Having just seen a clip in which a "pap" is meant to be following on a motorcycle I am confused. Where's the motor cycle? Is this meant to be a reconstruction?

Shameless quoting of self from post 368 :)biggrin:) but does anyone know the answer? It's such a weird scene.

Watched all episodes. Pretty boring. They are of course who they are. The niece I felt sorry for. Meghan didn’t invite anyone…and she has plenty of suitable family. I don’t think they stopped Kate inviting that fairly embarrassing uncle. She just wanted Oprah there.

I don’t really care to be honest. They aren’t interesting or talented and those images of their celebrity opulent life is irritating.

Shameless quoting of self from post 368 :)biggrin:) but does anyone know the answer? It's such a weird scene.

They were talking about a paparazzi photographer on a scooter following them in New York. Any scenes of real intrusion seemed to happen in the U.S. and Canada, even though they focused on the British press.

You never see the photographer in question- they just talk about it. However, in order to talk about it, they take off their masks. Seems rather silly- many celebrities loved the mask mandates during the pandemic because a mask and a pair of sunglasses obscures your identity heavily and makes photos almost worthless.

They were talking about a paparazzi photographer on a scooter following them in New York. Any scenes of real intrusion seemed to happen in the U.S. and Canada, even though they focused on the British press.

You never see the photographer in question- they just talk about it. However, in order to talk about it, they take off their masks. Seems rather silly- many celebrities loved the mask mandates during the pandemic because a mask and a pair of sunglasses obscures your identity heavily and makes photos almost worthless.

It reminded me of the last photograph of Diana and Dodi looking out the rear window of the car in Paris.

I’m pretty sure they meant the little blue scooter that scoots by in the scene.

Ah I see. It is odd to remove their masks as you say.

Lots is odd including putting shades on in the car when you aren’t driving and are in back seat. I mean you don’t need them.

Totally pretentious.

*If* Meghan really wanted her niece there, She could have challenged "The Powers That Be" that allegedly said no. I'm not buying that one.
Harry definitely would have gone to bat for her. Does anyone REALLY believe that The Queen and Charles would have said no ?

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
We make our choices. Good luck to them.

Watched all episodes. Pretty boring. They are of course who they are. The niece I felt sorry for. Meghan didn’t invite anyone…and she has plenty of suitable family. I don’t think they stopped Kate inviting that fairly embarrassing uncle. She just wanted Oprah there.

There's no way of knowing what the conversations were behind the scenes on who was invited and who was banned unless Charles or William comment differently, which they won't do since they will follow protocol of silence. However, I find it hard to believe that Meghan would not have been allowed to invite close family members if she really wanted them there, especially after William made a point to disclose that the Queen had been flexible about his own guest list.

I think it's more a case of Meghan being told 'this is how much room we have in the church, so you can invite x number of people', and Meghan decided to choose celebrities over family. But now she can make the BRF the villains by telling her niece that she wasn't allowed to invite her.

Diana is often presented as some kind of royal rebel, but she wasn’t. She was perfectly willing to fit into the royal system; I think if she and Charles had been even slightly more compatible she would have continued to mostly play by the rules, because she liked the actual work of being the Princess of Wales, and knew she was very good at it.

Exactly!
Diana actually adapted very well into royal life and was superb at charitable events.

I remember she was hopeful she would not have to give up her charity work after the divorce.

There's no way of knowing what the conversations were behind the scenes on who was invited and who was banned unless Charles or William comment differently, which they won't do since they will follow protocol of silence. However, I find it hard to believe that Meghan would not have been allowed to invite close family members if she really wanted them there, especially after William made a point to disclose that the Queen had been flexible about his own guest list.

I think it's more a case of Meghan being told 'this is how much room we have in the church, so you can invite x number of people', and Meghan decided to choose celebrities over family. But now she can make the BRF the villains by telling her niece that she wasn't allowed to invite her.

Like that isn’t the case with all weddings. My mother still Ian’s about how she couldn’t invite all the friends she wanted because her family was huge and her MIL insisted on equal numbers.

Bit like this documentary. How many Harry people exactly? A polo playing friend and a friend who won’t even have his last name on it.

Like that isn’t the case with all weddings. My mother still Ian’s about how she couldn’t invite all the friends she wanted because her family was huge and her MIL insisted on equal numbers.

Bit like this documentary. How many Harry people exactly? A polo playing friend and a friend who won’t even have his last name on it.

There were loads of peoples from charities, there could have been room for family. I struggle to understand why the palace would try and control Meghans guest list.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Meghan and Harry’s press team briefed them that her relationship to Ashleigh might be difficult to explain given what was happening with Samantha. I think that part is true. I just also think if having her there was very important to Meghan, than Meghan could have said it was more important to have her there and that she didn’t care what the tabloids said about it.

There were loads of peoples from charities, there could have been room for family. I struggle to understand why the palace would try and control Meghans guest list.

I doubt they did.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Meghan and Harry’s press team briefed them that her relationship to Ashleigh might be difficult to explain given what was happening with Samantha. I think that part is true. I just also think if having her there was very important to Meghan, than Meghan could have said it was more important to have her there and that she didn’t care what the tabloids said about it.

They may have, but how’s it hard. Also given some of the other side we have heard, Harry and Meghan are difficult so when they tried to have a conversation about her being there they may have freaked out and assumed they were saying don’t invite her. I mean up there with Archie not being made a Prince because of race and the whole married in garden thing.

I am sure Jason enjoys being name checked 100s of times. He probably isn’t watching. Who would.

Last edited:
I'm left wondering - how is this much different to what Thomas Markle did? He went to the press and talked - they've been to Oprah, Netflix and a publisher and talked. He worked with journalists behind the scenes they had Finding Freedom. He used pictures and stories from the past - they've done the same in these episodes. He's done so knowing its not what his daughter wanted - they've done so knowing its not what Harry's family want. I don't see much difference so wonder how those who were so outraged on Meghan and Harry's behalf when Thomas did what he did now feel about these two doing it. I'm not trying to be controversial - it was about then I stopped following these two half as much as I did because it all seemed a bit OTT and rather odd to me so it really sticks with me.

The way the episodes were cut / edited really suggests IMO a struggle to get real important and dramatic bits on camera. It reminds be of those "scripted reality shows" where not really much happens but they still make it seem like a world ending nightmare. It suggests there really was very little content to work with so a lot of editing - the pictures, the music, the multiple camera shots - had to be used to hide that to a degree.

I find it really interesting that there just isn't any desire from these two people who have every opportunity life offers to do more than just moan about events from nearly 3 years ago. What happened to "Be The Change You Want To See" hey.

Yes, I agree. There's almost certainly truth to this. What they said makes a lot of sense because it is difficult to understand her relationship to Ashleigh given the situation with Samantha, until you see it laid out as Meghan did here.

It's probably also true that it was pointed out to them that this would be a topic of conversation if Ashleigh were invited to the wedding. Someone might have even been asked for their own opinion, and recommended against it.

What is less believable is that she could not invite Ashleigh is she wanted. There is no world in which it wasn't pointed out that inviting celebrities who walked in to the wedding admiring they had never met either one of the couple was also going to raise questions and criticisms. Apparently this did not bother her.

I'm just here. I can't believe they actually brought Princess Michael into this directly. How dare they accuse her of racism because of a brooch. Princess Margaret was proudly photographed with 2 Blackamoor statues in her drawing room at KP over the years too so was she racist or was she just standing with some works of art?

Is Meghan now saying that nobody taught her how to curtsey? In the Oprah interview she said that Fergie taught her how to curtsey before the Queen came for lunch at Royal Lodge.

Or they may have assumed Ashleigh would be at the wedding and just wanted to go through a game plan for how the team would handle the possibility of an angry Samantha publicly lashing out when she found out. Given that the timeline for this would have been immediately prior to the wedding, or while the newlyweds were on their honeymoon, the team would have been doing the professional thing, and would actually have been doing something nice for Harry and Meghan by trying to anticipate and plan for unpleasant surprises.

Of course at that point in time the team was probably still thinking they were dealing with two rational adults who could have a mature discussion and take responsibility for their own decisions. Silly them.

That is a possibility, but I don't think it would have been that hard to explain Ashleigh's presence. Ashleigh was an adult and perfectly able to have a separate relationship with Meghan - she does now. Meghan's father was supposed to be there, despite his relationship with Samantha. From tiaragate, we know that Harry would have stood up for her. I just don't buy it. She didn't invite Ashleigh because she didn't want to.

Individuals aside, they totally trashed the British public. Large swathes of this documentary were not aimed at the royal family or even the press but the British public at large. Many people in this country were portrayed as ignorant, racist xenophobes, it was beyond disgraceful and if Charles doesn't strip them of their titles IMMEDIATELY I will now consider him to be complicit as well, enough is enough from the so called Sussex's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom