Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 1: February 2018 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Today, February 8, Queen Margrethe paid a visit to Oksbøl Army Base to attend a parade marking the reinstatement of the Danish Artillery Regiment.

Later she visited Schleswig's Foot Regiment at Haderslev Barracks.

** kongehuset gallery ** belga gallery **

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower. ?

Yes, Slevigske Fodregiment = Schlewigan Regiment of Foot has been restored. It's an old, proud regiment and it's good to see it back in the line.
We now have four combat regiments - with probably more being restored to service over the next few years.

The regiment will be the core in the also newly restored 1. Brigade.
The Danish system works pretty much like the British regimental system. Each regiment consists of three battalions. A standing battalion, a reserve battalion and a skeleton "garrison battalion". In case of a general mobilization, or in this case when a new brigade is formed, one of these battalions typically break away from the regiment and form the core of a new regiment.

These years the Danish defense is being allocated more funds, after (justifiable IMO) pressure from USA to increase the spendings. But it isn't just a question of more money and calling up more conscripts, that would be a waste of money. The soldiers have to have a job and the proper equipment for that job as well as international partners to work with carrying out that job. That has typically and mainly been Britain (for the army) but now also France (for the navy) as well as Estonia.
After a bit of thinking it has been decided to earmark 1. Brigade as a conventional brigade with Schleswigan Regiment of Foot earmarked as the light, rapid deployment (spearhead) regiment. Primarily for the Defense of Denmark itself, but just as much for deployment to the Baltic countries. I.e. Estonia.
Until today the Danish military has had three combat regiments earmarked for heavy international operations, often counter insurgency warfare. But 1. Brigade is destined for conventional warfare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

As a uniform-nerd it's always fascinating to study photos with members of the British military, because they have a truly bewildering number of uniforms!

Most NATO countries settle for a standard service uniform, a field uniform, a dress uniform, a mess uniform and a gala uniform - with minor details depending on circumstances and units. But the British! :eek: They use a multitude of uniforms!

The two gentlemen with the backs to us in this photo: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJpXIjWoAAPgGc.jpg
Is the British Sergeant Major. As the highest ranking NCO in the regiment, he is routinely invited to such dinners. (Some would, with considerable justification, claim that the Sergeant Major ranks just below the colonel of a regiment - and only if the Sergeant Major don't mind...)
He is flanked by a Danish senior sergeant. It's common courtesy that you match the ranks of your hosts. Here represented by a Danish NCO.

British rank insignia are no less bewildering!
As far as I can tell, the man sitting on QMII's left, is either a second lieutenant (but that would be most weird, and he is a bit too old) or a major. That would make him the battalion field commander.
The man in black is a staff officer. Easy to tell from his black uniform. The red officers sash, and the staff officer stripe on his pants. I can't tell his rank though.
The man to QMII's right, and as such the position of honor, is interesting. I can't tell his nationality. He is not British, and he is not German, so my guess is that he is a NATO liaison officer.

So my qualified guess is that QMII was here meeting relatively informally with some of the officers who actually run the practical details of the regiment on a daily basis.

Last edited:
And now for something different.

https://jyllands-posten.dk/sport/fo...beyonce-og-dronningen-paa-kvindernes-kampdag/

QMII has become a poster-girl, so to speak, for the International Women's Rights Day.
The soccer club, FCN, are selling soccer shirts with the names of female role models. Partly in honor of the day and partly to raise funds for their newly founded women's team. (Soccer is increasingly a female sport here in DK as well. While still heavily dominated by men, some of the more enthusiastic - and loud - fans, can be found among women supporters as well as more and more girls are taking up soccer.)
UN has praised to soccer club for the initiative and FCN's manager, Søren Kristensen says that the reason why QMII have been selected as well is:
"Everybody in the country respects her. When I think about Denmark I think about her. I'm a team captain myself and have to lead and rally a group with different backgrounds and opinions towards a common goal.
That's a responsibility I take very seriously and would like to do as well as possible.
In that I can find inspiration in her, who has done so in such a distinguished way for so many years with a whole people."

So QMII is to be find with names like Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki and Astrid Lindgreen.

- This is placed under an official thread, because it requires QMII's permission for her to be used to promote something - especially when it involves money and merchandise.

Queen Margrethe received the new Ambassadors of Bulgaria, Croatia, Russia, Chile and Malta at Fredensborg Palace today, March 15:

** kongehuset gallery **

Thanks for the update!
The Danish Court has one of the most spectacular ceremonies for ambassadors. The Russian ambassador looked nice in a uniform.

I agree with you Al Bina.A very nice welcome for the new Ambassadors. And Her Majesty looked lovely in that dress.

The Queen Margrethe will make an official visit in Estonia for a specidic reason:

"Denmark’s history is closely connected with Estonia’s capital, Tallinn, which according to the legend was the place where Dannebrog fell from the sky in 1219. On the 800th anniversary of the event, Her Majesty The Queen arrives in the city aboard the Royal Yacht Dannebrog and begins an official visit in the Baltic country."

Her Majesty The Queen visits Estonia | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2019.
Written by Henrik Salling.

In a recent documentary it was explained how people are recommended for an order, how the vetting process works to the final okay by QMII. Whereupon the recipient get the order - by post.
It is customary for the recipient to thank Her Majesty for the order at the first public audience.

Here QMII takes over an explains how a public audience works.
You don't book a time, instead you merely show up. But you must have a purpose for wishing an audience with the Monarch.
As QMII puts it: "Everyone can show up, if they have a reason. Unless they just want to see the monkey, then it's a no."

QMII was a raw bundle of nerves at her first public audiences when standing in for her father after she turned eighteen.
"30 years ago I didn't find it that easy to talk with people.
Back then I was nervous as a dog. I was after all at the age with recipient's children."

- Of course I haven't yet gotten around to seeing the docu yet. But it sounds interesting.

Easter at Marselisborg with H.M.The Queen.

Interview with the queen

Last edited:
QMII attends service every day during Easter, also today.

Today thought she brought two close friends with her to Aarhus Cathedral, Birgitta and Kjeld Hillingsø.

They are the parents to Ellen Hillingsø, with whom Mary recently went to the theater.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/glad-dronning-margrethe-havde-baere-venner-med-i-kirke

The other days:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ionen-i-haevd-begynder-langfredag-i-domkirken
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/dronning-margrethe-kom-alene-til-hoejmesse-i-aarhus

"In the light of light and torches, Her Majesty the Queen this evening was welcomed home to Fredensborg Slot by the city's citizens.
Since 1988, Fredensborg city has organized a torchlight course in connection with residency to the North Zealand castle. At the evening's event, Her Majesty thanked the welcome and sang with the attendants at "There is a lovely country"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwnDxGclx0-/?utm_source=ig_embed
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...e-roert-over-fakkeloptog-paa-fredensborg-slot
https://sn.dk/Fredensborg/Video-og-...s-lyste-byen-op-for-Dronningen/artikel/833857

Wonder if she is still there?

Her adjutant would have had to carry her kicking and screaming back to the car. :D

It's a bad week for knights in Scandinavia.
Following the King of Sweden's decision to strip the rape convicted Jean Claude Arnault of the Order of the Polar Star earlier this week, his first cousin Queen Margrethe have stripped Christian Kjær of The Order of the Dannebrog & his additional honorary titles of Court Chamberlain & Master of the hunt. The direct cause for The Queen's decision is that Kjær, who was a close friend of her deceased husband Prince Henrik, received a suspended sentence in a traffic case earlier this year. Kjær was so sure of his acquital that he made a bet with reporters covering the case.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/kongehuset-har-taget-alle-titler-fra-christian-kjaer

:previous: I bet he regrets that now!

Yes, as the Monarch it is QMII who decides if someone is to be stripped of titles and orders. - Even someone who was a close friends of PH. - Or to be more correct, because he was such a close friend of PH.

Christian Kjær came driving along when he was stopped from crossing a road because of a cycle-race. That can of course be annoying, but that's life and it's announced well beforehand where and when.
Anyway, he was stopped by an official. But the good Christian Kjær either felt he was too important to be stopped because of some cyclists or he felt provoked by the official. Whatever, he moved his car forward, very slowly, so that the car lightly touched the official. - That's assault, not to mention a breach of I don't know how many traffic rules.

But he got off very lightly!
30 days suspended prison sentence. A 10.000 DKK fine (Some 1.500 $) and a ban on driving for one year.

Often it's the Police Home Guard who acts a traffic wardens as such events and had he pulled that stunt against someone from the Home Guard, Christian Kjær would not have gotten away with a suspended sentence. We are talking 60 days in prison plus additional for assaulting a Home Guardsman on duty. 90-120 days would seem likely IMO.

Of course there is no way QMII can show understanding for such behavior. So Christian Kjær has been stripped of his order as Knight of Dannebrog, First Class. As well as two courtier-ranks.
That means he will no longer automatically be invited to New Year Courts and similar official events, let alone State dinners and galas.
Nor will he take part in royal hunts.
In fact I doubt he will ever be invited again.

It also means he can wave any future honors goodbye.
It's a breach of the conduct expected of a man who received such honors.

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower & Polyesco.

https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...rgrethe-ville-afsloere-hans-omstridte-statue/

Even though King Christian IV is behind most of the older and most distinctive buildings in Copenhagen, you actually have to look hard for a statue of him.
There is indeed a very good statues of Christian IV, but it's somewhat away from the tourist tracks.
But today a new one was unveiled, where the king is standing on Round Tower, turned upside down, being a reflection in the water. Copenhagen is very much connected to the sea.

But Christian IV must have been in a foul mood today, or he didn't appreciate the statue of him, so he refused to be unveiled!
First the cord snapped. Leaving him covered.
Then some organizer and QMII tried to yank the veil free. They succeeded - to some extent. Christian Four still refused to unveil his face, and only with the help of a ladder was the rest of the veil lifted.
QMII had a very merry time today, methinks! :lol:

Of course there is no way QMII can show understanding for such behavior. So
It's a breach of the conduct expected of a man who received such honors.
Just another proof of how passionate Danes are about their morning pastries.

I was a bit surprised when Google took me somewhere that stated that Danish courts are obligated to inform the Royal Court when they press charges against a Knight of the Order of the Dannebrog.
I also agree that, although a revocation of the order isn't unusual in cases like these, Christian Kjær being that close to the Royal family was one of the reasons for the Queen taking such a swift action. It would be a PR disaster for both the Court and the other Knights of the Order if he was seen as being able to use his connections to get off easy compared to others.
The Queen expects that the holders of the honorary positions and the order set an example for others and, as a reporter writes, by taking this action she's literally put Christian Kjær out in the cold. He won't be received at Court again and he will probably not be invited to functions and parties where high ranking members of the Royal family is expected to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom