Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly William said that the only way he'd walk behind Diana's coffin was if Phillip walked with him.

I shall never forget him behind Diana’s coffin. Told me a lot about him. I hope now there is a reunion and peace.

I would expect that there will be programs and the like on over the weekend to commemorate the life of the late DoE. Has anyone seen any of these listed so far? I'm in America so I might have to watch them at a different time. I'm wondering if there might be a special put on Netflix or Amazon Prime this weekend, though. They do have a ton of documentaries like that on the RF.

I’ll post if I see anything set to air on BBC America or BBC World as I get those channels. I wonder if PBS, which airs many Royal programs, or Smithsonian Channel, might air a tribute. I’ll tweet Smithsonian.

Edit: Smithsonian posted a clip from their Inside Windsor Castle special

Last edited:
He lived a life filled with acts we can all admire...if nothing else simply that he did not "retire" until his 90's! But I particularly remember him walking behind the casket of Princess Diana in her funeral cortege. I don't know whether or not his "position" required him to do so, but it seemed to me the act of a great gentleman.

I think it had less to do with him being a Prince, and more to do with being a grandfather. I shall never forget. The hug he gave the boys!

"Lilibet" is not King Felipe's aunt. He is the Queen's third cousin once removed .

However, in Hispanic countries, it is not uncommon for removed cousins to refer incorrectly to older cousins (of a different generation) as aunt/uncle.

Isn't Felipe's mother queen Sofia born a Greek princess and thus a direct cousin of prince Philip? And queen Ena of Spain, Felip's great-grandmother, was a Battenberg, too?

Won't family members be able to sit together?

So, we would have 10 family units for the BRF:
1. The Queen (it would be wonderful if at least one of her children could some how form a bubble with her)

2. Charles & Camilla

3. Anne & Timothy

4. Andrew

5. Edward, Sophie, Louise & James

6. William & Catherine (& children)

7. Peter (& children)

8. Zara & Mike (& children)

9. Beatrice & Eduardo

10. Eugenie & Jack

Assuming Harry won't be back in time, I left him out as well.

Households will be able to sit together, but the way the layout is in the Quire with two rows directly behind each other on each side I think the capacity will be halved.

There's not enough social distancing space to have people in both the front and back row. It might just work if families sat in front and behind each other - so William behind Catherine then a space to the next family- but I still can't see that working for all of them. I think using the bigger part of the church will be much more practical.

I shall never forget him behind Diana’s coffin. Told me a lot about him. I hope now there is a reunion and peace.

Indeed. I remember one of the commentators had been wondering where Philip was- then seeing him clearly planning to walk behind the coffin. He was impressed....but not impressed. It was like- exactly what he expected from Philip, but impressive due to him being in his 70s by then.

He walked behind his sister and her family’s coffins as a teenager.

It indeed said a lot about him. What a man.

Harry spoke to his dad...he’s trying to make it for the funeral...

I’m hoping that the family can come together and make peace now that they are face to face...lord knows no one wants to have any regrets should something happen to anyone in the family.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-harry-scrambles-return-prince-23887173

If this article is accurate then it heavily implies that the last 24 hours at least have been very clear that it was only a matter of a time and a very short time at that. Hopefully that allowed everyone time to say their goodbyes either in person if possible or by video call.

Wow...those words by President Obama brought tears to my eyes. What a powerful and beautiful tribute!!!

Households will be able to sit together, but the way the layout is in the Quire with two rows directly behind each other on each side I think the capacity will be halved.

There's not enough social distancing space to have people in both the front and back row. It might just work if families sat in front and behind each other - so William behind Catherine then a space to the next family- but I still can't see that working for all of them. I think using the bigger part of the church will be much more practical.

There are three rows, so they could use the front and the back row.

I don't see them using the less personal bigger Nave as the "ceremonial center" is within the quire. So, unless it is absolute necessary (which I don't think it is if you carefully plan it out), I'd say they'll use the quire.

If I am counting correctly there are 33 seats both on the left and on the right side in the front (so 66 in total - using only the first and second row, that would leave 44; depending on the number of households they could probably seat at least 6 on each row (3 groups of 2; or up to 9 if two larger households - with 2 seats between each party); so that's 24 or more in total only in the front part). Then there is the area for the choir that can be used, as they won't need a choir. And behind the choir are a few more seats. So, that seems plenty to seat at max 30 people divided over between 10 and 15 households at most.

Last edited:
I think it had less to do with him being a Prince, and more to do with being a grandfather. I shall never forget. The hug he gave the boys!

I don't recall seeing that image but I'd like to. Was it at the actual funeral or while they were looking at the flowers outside Balmoral?

I’m hoping that the family can come together and make peace now that they are face to face...lord knows no one wants to have any regrets should something happen to anyone in the family.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-harry-scrambles-return-prince-23887173

It would be wonderful if he could make it - if the current Covid-regulations allow for it; one poster wrote about the option of a 5 day quarantine and a negative test afterwards. So, if he would arrive tomorrow morning (so leave tonight), he could be tested on day 5 (Wednesday); get his result on Thursday; and be at the funeral on Friday or Saturday - assuming he tests negative. If he tests positive, he of course cannot attend - but that would apply to any family member testing positive in the next week.

My deep condolences may the queen and her family will have strength for the coming days and weeks

If this article is accurate then it heavily implies that the last 24 hours at least have been very clear that it was only a matter of a time and a very short time at that. Hopefully that allowed everyone time to say their goodbyes either in person if possible or by video call.

It does sound like that....I’m glad Philip didn’t linger in pain, but like you said, I hope that everyone had time to say goodbye. It would be so painful to live with regrets..

I think the Queen would like to have all her children and grandchildren there. And Prince Harry must want to be at your grandfather's funeral.

Oh, that’s...let’s just say I’m not comfortable with this.

Well how else would they do it? Macabre certainly but people don't want to talk the day someone dies and it takes time to put TV shows together. They probably have dozens for the Queen.

Happens for loads of people. When I first started seeing them I was a bit confused but it makes sense.

TBF for Anne and Edward is was clearly part of one of the many documentaries they've taken part in and said similar comments in just dressed in black. Morbid yes, but then no more so maybe that carrying a black outfit around "just in case". I'm sure they see it as part of their public duty and would rather make a fitting tribute to their father when they aren't grieving.

I don't recall seeing that image but I'd like to. Was it at the actual funeral or while they were looking at the flowers outside Balmoral?

I recall seeing during the funeral procession, briefly when they(Phillip, Charles, William, Harry, Charles Spencer) thought they were out of public view under Marble Arch that was when there was a side hug or pat on the shoulder from the DoE to his grandsons. Then they began to walk forward again.

very nice interview of the Duke and Barbara Walters

Prince Philip Talks About His Role In The Royal Family On Today In 1969 | TODAY

Neither am I, I could never speak about my parents in the past tense when they are still alive.

Yup...and it strikes me as nervy to ask Anne and Edward, though they agreed, so obviously they didn’t Baffert any issues with it.

They don't. If you notice they talk about the past and their childhood etc.

Oh, that’s good...I didn’t listen to it, just read scanned the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward is wearing a black tie and the conversation is very much presented as though he is dead already. They could have done the interviews without the macabre touches but still planned for them to go out after he died.

Yup...and it strikes me as nervy to ask Anne and Edward, though they agreed, so obviously they didn’t Baffert any issues with it.

BBC one has Charles too. I would say Andrew has been edited out...

I believe its common practice to be honest, for royalty, for PMs and senior politicians, world leaders etc.

Edward is wearing a black tie and the conversation is very much presented as though he is dead.

Yeah but they aren't like now he is gone or anything. It is obvious filmed to be shown after he dies but they are talking about his achievements.it isn't a weep feast imaging his death.

I believe its common practice to be honest, for royalty, for PMs and senior politicians, world leaders etc.

Actors. I have seen one for Richard Attenbourough, Peter Hall once they get to a certain age I think they just make them. Judi Dench probs has one. Maggie Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the comments sound quite similar to those made when he turned 90 and then when he retired to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom