The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1421  
Old 04-17-2021, 03:51 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks Betsypaige. Elizabeth wasn't writing love letters (I am sure she knew what would be expected of her in such a correspondence and writing lots of 'I love you's' surely wasn't included and would have been considered improper) but they DID start exchanging letters, so there was some kind of mutual interest (whether encouraged by others or not). The queen's confidants, including her lady-in-waiting Lady Pamela Hicks, confirmed that from age 13 she didn't have an eye for any other man than Philip.

I remember my first crush when I was 13 and he was a class mate of my brother - there was no sexual emotions involved, I was just happy to be allowed in the same room and just look occasionally at him. Or to meet him (we were at the same school) and be able to say "Hello" and talk for a moment. If I could have send him letters, they would have been short and boring because I wouldn't have adred to write more. He still took the time to explain to me that our difference in age lead to us having different ideas about a relationship and made me really agree with him that he couldn't be my choice for a "boyfriend". Very kind, very nice and that was that. Who knows what would have happened if I was a sheltered girl, he part of my family and we saw each other occasionally at family teas or something. Maybe we would be married now! But it didn't happen that way. It did, though, for Elizabeth and Philip.


As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.
__________________

  #1422  
Old 04-17-2021, 04:57 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
. . . . . As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.
I believe that Phlip must have loved Elizabeth because from the moment that her parents realised that her "crush" was still very real during and after the war, they went out of the way to introduce her to "suitable" young men. It has to be remembered that the King did not marry royalty but rather Scottish aristocracy and I think they both thought that a British aristocrat was better than an impecunious foreign Prince with a somewhat rackety family!
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #1423  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:01 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post


As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.

Actually there where not many non-german protestant Princes besides Philip whp where unmarried. Only the Princes Georg and Flemming of Denmark and Prince Bertil of Sweden.
__________________
Stefan



  #1424  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:04 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 32,076
Buckingham Palace on this Spring morning in London ahead of the Duke's Funeral.

  #1425  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:32 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post


As for the problems before the king agreed to an engagement: there weren't too many suitable second Royal sons around after WWII and I doubt the "grey men" would have wanted a British suitor for their future queen. A Scandie prince? In a way Philip was one of them. But he was British raised and served in the British navy, had a career, even though not much money, so he really fit. But they needed to "cut him down a bit" and so impressed IMHO on the Princess Elizabeth that she was the future queen and that he could be lucky that he was allowed to marry her.. In the end it was all politics and I am happy they came together as a couple and stayed so happy till the end.
Actually it seems that "the grey men" thought Princess Elizabeth should choose some nice young British aristocrat. They weren't impressed that Philip was a "penniless foreign barely a prince" with questionable parents, a rough childhood and some Nazi connections (even though his own service was impeccable) but allegedly would have been happier if she had married the male version of her mother. Hence the moves to make him as British as possible.

I think there would have been moves to impress on everyone that her husband was the consort here and comes 2nd officially no matter who she married.
  #1426  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:43 AM
Estel's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Somewhere, India
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Actually it seems that "the grey men" thought Princess Elizabeth should choose some nice young British aristocrat. They weren't impressed that Philip was a "penniless foreign barely a prince" with questionable parents, a rough childhood and some Nazi connections (even though his own service was impeccable) but allegedly would have been happier if she had married the male version of her mother. Hence the moves to make him as British as possible.

I think there would have been moves to impress on everyone that her husband was the consort here and comes 2nd officially no matter who she married.
Did the good ol' Duke of Windsor and Wallis actually call him a "foundling," or was that only a figment of imagination on the Crown's part?
  #1427  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I believe that Phlip must have loved Elizabeth because from the moment that her parents realised that her "crush" was still very real during and after the war, they went out of the way to introduce her to "suitable" young men. It has to be remembered that the King did not marry royalty but rather Scottish aristocracy and I think they both thought that a British aristocrat was better than an impecunious foreign Prince with a somewhat rackety family!
FYI, the quote you’re responding to isn’t mine...
  #1428  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:59 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,218
This is a downloadable Order of Service from the British Monarchy website:

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/f..._edinburgh.pdf
  #1429  
Old 04-17-2021, 06:02 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,445
The Royal Family's social media account has released a montage commemorating Prince Philip with the audio and words of Poet Laureate reading The Patriarchs - An Elegy.
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
A montage to commemorate the extraordinary life of The Duke of Edinburgh, made unique by its sheer breadth of experience, and the wartime generation he was part of.

With words by the Poet Laureate,
The Patriarchs - An Elegy.
5:47 PM · Apr 17, 2021·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...26258654695431

@theroyalfamily Verified
The Patriarchs - An Elegy

A montage to commemorate the extraordinary life of The Duke of Edinburgh, made unique by its sheer breadth of experience, and the wartime generation he was part of.

With words by the Poet Laureate.
1h
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNwo8pIHF5H/
  #1430  
Old 04-17-2021, 06:03 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Actually it seems that "the grey men" thought Princess Elizabeth should choose some nice young British aristocrat. They weren't impressed that Philip was a "penniless foreign barely a prince" with questionable parents, a rough childhood and some Nazi connections (even though his own service was impeccable) but allegedly would have been happier if she had married the male version of her mother. Hence the moves to make him as British as possible.

I think there would have been moves to impress on everyone that her husband was the consort here and comes 2nd officially no matter who she married.
I thin that the queen Mother also wanted a nice British aristocrat for Eliz's husband. Philips German connextions, his brash manner, his parents being separated and his mother in an asylum were not likley to recommend him to the Palace advisers or the RF in general....
  #1431  
Old 04-17-2021, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Did the good ol' Duke of Windsor and Wallis actually call him a "foundling," or was that only a figment of imagination on the Crown's part?
I don't watch The Crown anymore and don't read much about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor so I can't say, but it's best to consider all The Crown fiction that accidentally gets it right than the other way around.

Looking at the order of service, I do love Kontakion of the Departed.

Interesting that they have The Lord's Prayer without the Doxology as well. The CofE does use it but it's the BCP/alternative version of the service.

Eternal Father Strong to Save used to be my school hymn for some reason.
  #1432  
Old 04-17-2021, 06:14 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Royal Family's social media account has released a montage commemorating Prince Philip with the audio and words of Poet Laureate reading The Patriarchs - An Elegy.
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
A montage to commemorate the extraordinary life of The Duke of Edinburgh, made unique by its sheer breadth of experience, and the wartime generation he was part of.

With words by the Poet Laureate,
The Patriarchs - An Elegy.
5:47 PM · Apr 17, 2021·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...26258654695431

@theroyalfamily Verified
The Patriarchs - An Elegy

A montage to commemorate the extraordinary life of The Duke of Edinburgh, made unique by its sheer breadth of experience, and the wartime generation he was part of.

With words by the Poet Laureate.
1h
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNwo8pIHF5H/

Lovely tribute....
  #1433  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:08 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 4,897
I don't understand why Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was considered at the moment of his engagement to Princess Elizabeth, a lower royal.
Penieless, Yes
From a delicate family condition, yes
Ok, his sisters married German high titled who ended up Nazis.
Furthermore, the BRF, was German also, wasn't? Saxe-Coburgh.

But low royal? His paternal grand father was ruling King, coming from a ruling family in Denmark, brother of 2 Queens. His paternal grandmother a Romanov, niece of a ruling Tzar.
From his mother, descendant of Queen Victoria.
I don't see why it makes him lower than Princess Elisabeth, a part maybe that she was daughter of a King.
  #1434  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:26 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Actually there where not many non-german protestant Princes besides Philip whp where unmarried. Only the Princes Georg and Flemming of Denmark and Prince Bertil of Sweden.

Wasn't Philip Greek Orthodox? When did he officially join the Church of England?


Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I don't understand why Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was considered at the moment of his engagement to Princess Elizabeth, a lower royal.
Penieless, Yes
From a delicate family condition, yes
Ok, his sisters married German high titled who ended up Nazis.
Furthermore, the BRF, was German also, wasn't? Saxe-Coburgh.

But low royal? His paternal grand father was ruling King, coming from a ruling family in Denmark, brother of 2 Queens. His paternal grandmother a Romanov, niece of a ruling Tzar.
From his mother, descendant of Queen Victoria.
I don't see why it makes him lower than Princess Elisabeth, a part maybe that she was daughter of a King.

His royal credentials from a certain point of view were more impressive than Elizabeth's since Philip descended from sovereign families both in paternal and maternal line whereas Elizabeth's mother was just an earl's, daughter. Elizabeth was, however, a reigning King's daughter and an heiress presumptive to the throne.
  #1435  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:35 AM
Royal Newbie's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California, United States
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
I found this on YouTube. I’m not sure it will work in the US but it may be worth a shot.

https://youtu.be/LL55C3pgiEo

I am technically challenged so please be kind.

It looks like a BBC Link to the funeral.

This link is up and live right now with BBC coverage.
  #1436  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:41 AM
Royalist.in.NC's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Nowheresville, United States
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
I found this on YouTube. I’m not sure it will work in the US but it may be worth a shot.

https://youtu.be/LL55C3pgiEo

I am technically challenged so please be kind.

It looks like a BBC Link to the funeral.
Thanks so much! This link works perfectly!
  #1437  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:49 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Wasn't Philip Greek Orthodox? When did he officially join the Church of England?




Don't know. What i meant is that probably they did not want a catholic Prince.
__________________
Stefan



  #1438  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:52 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 32,076
Flags are flying at half mast on all State buildings today to mark the funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh in the Irish Republic.

This was was also done as a mark of respect here in 2002 for the late queen mother and in 1997 for Diana Princess of Wales.
  #1439  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:52 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Your BBC World is covering the funeral ? Odd, my cable guide doesn’t show it, and neither does the website.

I may try to stream the Aussie site that Dickie Arbiter will be on, at least occasionally ..other than that, I’ll flip between ABC and MSNBC
It is but I can’t watch it. Apparently it’s part of a much more expensive package that we don’t have. However, I’m already up and watching MSNBC and will through the funeral. I’m also recording in on CNN just to see the differences. So far MSNBC is doing a nice job. Victoria Howard has been on and they’ve been showing and discussing the military groups moving down the Long Walk and preparing for today, the long marriage of HM and the DoE, all of the royal burials at Windsor, etc. Nothing unmissable but still nice background while I make coffee and find some breakfast.
  #1440  
Old 04-17-2021, 08:00 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,689
As the majority of funeral broadcasts have now all begun, the funeral thread has been opened. This thread will be closed.

Please use the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rgh-48565.html thread for discussion on the Duke's funeral.
__________________

__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death of HRH Princess Lalla Fatima Zohra ( 1929-2014) Mademoiselle Lilo Royal Family of Morocco 3 10-19-2014 04:51 PM
Death of HRH Princess Lalla Amina (1954-2012) elladora Royal Family of Morocco 16 09-02-2012 06:37 PM
Death of HRH Princess Lalla Aicha: 17 June 1930-4 September 2011 kaoutar Royal Family of Morocco 28 10-06-2011 08:46 PM
Death of HRH The Duke of Parma 18 August 2010 iceflower Royal Families of Italy 149 11-06-2010 02:26 PM
Bahrain: Death of HRH Prince Faisal, son of King Hamad - January 12, 2006 fanletizia Royal and Ruling Families of the Gulf States 17 01-15-2006 12:02 PM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life fashion and style gemstones george vi gradenigo harry and meghan hello! henry viii highgrove hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan japanese imperial family japan history kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy mongolia names nara period pless politics prince harry queen elizabeth ii royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida thai royal family tradition united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×