Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Statement from the 46th President of the United States, The Hon Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.

On behalf of all the people of the United States, we send our deepest condolences to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the entire Royal Family, and all the people of the United Kingdom on the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
Over the course of his 99-year life, he saw our world change dramatically and repeatedly. From his service during World War II, to his 73 years alongside the Queen, and his entire life in the public eye — Prince Philip gladly dedicated himself to the people of the UK, the Commonwealth, and to his family.
The impact of his decades of devoted public service is evident in the worthy causes he lifted up as patron, in the environmental efforts he championed, in the members of the Armed Forces that he supported, in the young people he inspired, and so much more. His legacy will live on not only through his family, but in all the charitable endeavors he shaped.
Jill and I are keeping the Queen and to Prince Philip’s children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren in our hearts during this time.

May I extend my deepest sympathy to The Queen and the entire royal family at this sad time.

Thanks for sharing. Those are lovely quotes from Philip. A wise man. I love the nautical reference to going home one day; how perfect for a naval officer.

That’s beautiful. I kinda think going home is like getting on a boat. I just think about reunion and peace.
I had the same reaction as when my grandfather died- similar- not as severe. That same stomach dropping and tears I never wanted to feel again. He’s always been there. I’ll adjust. He’s probably up there booming “ get it together.”

It will certainly be difficult for the Queen and it is unfortunate that this happened so close to her birthday. But I have no doubt she will carry on. I remember that when the Queen Mother died, there was a statement that some of the Queen's engagements would have to be rescheduled. At that point, I think the Queen was almost 80. To me, that one statement defined her commitment to her country. I think Philip would expect his family to honor him by fulfilling their commitments and continuing their lives.

Very sad about Philip. RIP to a fantastic person for served the country

I saw the news earlier today.
He was a flawed but a good man, no one can say this man did not care, or did not give back to the world.
But it was expected, after Charles visit it became obvious he may not have much time anymore, and after Zara's baby being named after him.

I do hope members of the family had been able to say their goodbyes before he passed away.

I now deeply worry for The Queen, and fear the family and world would lose her in a short while from now, it is not uncommon for partners who have been together as long as they have to pass away a short time after the other does. :-(

In think the family are incredibly lucky. Before Monday it was 15 people.

But he and his family were lucky. What a life to see 6 grandchildren married and to live to see 10 great grandchildren. Two now to be named after him.

For a man from a traumatic and fragmented background to have created and see an United and by and large stable family is amazing.

Beautifully said...I’m also glad that Charles made it clear how proud he is of his Greek ancestry, and I hope Philip knew that.

My goodness, the difference in how this is being reported...it's enough to make your head spin. While some TV presenters are almost in tears while sharing the news, others are just proving themselves to be unthinking and inconsiderate asses.

I believe it was Rhiannon Mills who seemed teary and emotional while sharing the news. However, Gayle King asked in front of the entire world if his passing was brought about by natural causes. Good heavens. Given her involvement in matters over the last couple of months she'd probably have done well to simply report the fact that a statement was issued from the palace, etc. and leave it at that and I understand that she's receiving quite the bashing on social media for her question.

It's really quite mind-boggling to see the differences in the way this is being handled by different reporters, programs, and channels.

I don’t even count Gayle King - she’s an embarrassment. The only reporters who count, as far as I’m concerned, are those from the U.K.

Those are lovely comments from President Biden

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The grieving Queen is current considering revised funeral plans for her beloved husband, Prince Philip, in light of Covid restrictions. Well-wishers are being asked not to leave flowers but make a donation to charity instead. An online book of condolence has been set up.
EyiwA1CW8AAw_LL

Those are lovely comments from President Biden

Agreed. Really so many of the statements from other royal houses and world leaders have been so beautifully done and so personal and heartfelt without going overboard into the emotions that the late DoE would have found to be too over the top. I've been so heartened and impressed at how well done they've all been and how not a single one has sounded like a canned, generic, press-release type statement but how they've all been so beautifully personal. He clearly made a large and lasting impact on all of them.

Statement from the 46th President of the United States, The Hon Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.

Quote:
On behalf of all the people of the United States, we send our deepest condolences to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the entire Royal Family, and all the people of the United Kingdom on the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
Over the course of his 99-year life, he saw our world change dramatically and repeatedly. From his service during World War II, to his 73 years alongside the Queen, and his entire life in the public eye — Prince Philip gladly dedicated himself to the people of the UK, the Commonwealth, and to his family.
The impact of his decades of devoted public service is evident in the worthy causes he lifted up as patron, in the environmental efforts he championed, in the members of the Armed Forces that he supported, in the young people he inspired, and so much more. His legacy will live on not only through his family, but in all the charitable endeavors he shaped.
Jill and I are keeping the Queen and to Prince Philip’s children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren in our hearts during this time.

Those are lovely and kind words from The President of the United States, a man who has lost many very close family members and understands loss.

Last edited:
Agreed. Really so many of the statements from other royal houses and world leaders have been so beautifully done and so personal and heartfelt without going overboard into the emotions that the late DoE would have found to be too over the top. I've been so heartened and impressed at how well done they've all been and how not a single one has sounded like a canned, generic, press-release type statement but how they've all been so beautifully personal. He clearly made a large and lasting impact on all of them.

I think all of them can understand what Prince Philip gave up to marry Princess and future Queen Elizabeth, and I suspect they really did admire him. He made his “job” as consort his own, much like Charles made the Prince of Wales “job” his own. I read above that The Queen would be the one to name a new DoE. Personally, I can’t imagine anyone else as DoE, and I kind of hope there isn’t a new DoE (especially as this title was created for Philip).

About Biden, he has lost so much in his life - I’m not surprised that he would strike such a compassionate, perfect note in his comments.

He lived a life filled with acts we can all admire...if nothing else simply that he did not "retire" until his 90's! But I particularly remember him walking behind the casket of Princess Diana in her funeral cortege. I don't know whether or not his "position" required him to do so, but it seemed to me the act of a great gentleman.

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was one of my first English words beyond nursery rhymes, literally. As my mother taught me my first real English, she explained about Great Britain (the Commonwealth was past my young understanding at the time), Queen Elizabeth and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. I remember I asked why he wasn't a king and I got the explanation about the lines of "so he doesn't overshadow his wife and Queen. His life has been all about serving her."

RIP, Your Royal Highness.

Last edited:
I read above that The Queen would be the one to name a new DoE. Personally, I can’t imagine anyone else as DoE, and I kind of hope there isn’t a new DoE (especially as this title was created for Philip).

I'm not sure now exactly which reporter or historian I read it from this morning but I did read that because of the way the LP was written in 1947 for him to become DoE, the title passed to Charles immediately upon his death. However, once Charles becomes king the title will merge with the Crown and then be recreated for Edward in line with the wishes of HM and the late DoE.

Last edited:
Such sad news, and so unexpected, despite his age.

Truly a remarkable man, with such a strong sense of duty and of humor.

I read above that The Queen would be the one to name a new DoE. Personally, I can’t imagine anyone else as DoE, and I kind of hope there isn’t a new DoE (especially as this title was created for Philip).

As the eldest son, Prince Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh. Once Charles accedes to the throne and the title merges with the Crown, Prince Edward will be created the next Duke of Edinburgh.

The reaction to Prince Philip's death on social media like Tumblr, Instagram or Twitter is making me sick. People cannot respect that a great man died today.

It was stated long ago that Edward woudl become Duke of Edinburgh in due course.. and there has been another Duke of Ed besides Philip.....

Charles is not the DoE has is the PoW ..... this is such sad sad news I am overwhelmed and as well send my deepest sympathy and thanks for this life that was service

The reaction to Prince Philip's death on social media like Tumblr, Instagram or Twitter is making me sick. People cannot respect that a great man died today.

I visit Royal reporter accounts on Twitter, but I’m avoiding everyone else (including trending topics) because it’s vile out there. I saw one tweet asking if Charles was happy today .. I can avoid this garbage on Tumblr, fortunately, unless I might see this on one of my Tumblr friend’s account.

As the eldest son, Prince Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh. Once Charles accedes to the throne and the title merges with the Crown, Prince Edward will be created the next Duke of Edinburgh.

Thank you ! I’m sure Edward will be a fine DoE...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a sad day.
The Duke of Edinburgh has died.
He was a real constant of British life.

Harry & Meghan have paid tribute to Prince Philip on their Archwell website with a simple message “Thank you for your service... you will be greatly missed.”
https://archewell.com/

Reaction of the King and Queen of Bhutan to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNc7dKZsSb0/?igshid=3cysnnkv0oci

Reaction of Prince Achileas of Greece, son of Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal, on the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

A legendary, entirely unique man who constantly lived life with inspirational energy and devotion towards his many interests and loves - my family and I were deeply saddened to hear of the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh who was born Prince Philip of Greece in June 1921. He will be in my prayers, as will Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and their family. May he rest in peace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNc81BJlyvu/?igshid=18x5pt2yy9wtj

Princess Theodora of Greece's reaction to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
Incredibly saddened by the passing of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. An extraordinary man. May he Rest In Peace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdC_QSnEzB/?igshid=1c1l9goh8x16f

Princess Tatiana of Greece's reaction to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdJvscHJuj/?igshid=1ffzf6q2lc0j

Last edited:
Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...

When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.

Last edited:
Heather, that’s beautiful....

I thought so, too. Granted, President Obama has always had a talent for beautiful words but in this case it seems not only heartfelt and genuine but infinitely appropriate since there was so much press at the time about the late DoE driving the Obamas around and how much both couples enjoyed the visit.

Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...

When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.

This message from President Obama is comforting. It is nice to see so many world leaders sending their condolences to The Queen.

Charles is not the DoE has is the PoW ..... this is such sad sad news I am overwhelmed and as well send my deepest sympathy and thanks for this life that was service

Charles will inherit his father's titles to add to all those others he holds. He simply won't use them. The LPs written in 1947 are clear - 'heirs male of the body lawfully begotten' so Philip's titles pass to Charles now. Charles will still use Prince of Wales most of the time but Duke of Cornwall when in Cornwall or doing something with the Duchy, Earl of Chester when in Chester, Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, Lord of the Isles when in the Scottish Isles etc.

I visit Royal reporter accounts on Twitter, but I’m avoiding everyone else (including trending topics) because it’s vile out there. I saw one tweet asking if Charles was happy today .. I can avoid this garbage on Tumblr, fortunately, unless I might see this on one of my Tumblr friend’s account.

Why the hell would Charles be happy today? Even if those idiots are the ones thinking it's desperate to be King and therefore hoping for his mother's death he doesn't get an "upgrade" when his father dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom