The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

i just saw this. I had been avidly hoping that he would be able to make it to 100. He had such a long life and although it was not an easy life in many places, especially in his formative years, he left such an amazing legacy. I'm glad that two of his great-grandsons, born this year, were honored in carrying on his name as part of theirs.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
That is not Prince Charles' Twitter account.
Thanks - I should have known by the wording alone, not to mention I know Charles uses Clarence House

Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Is the Nr. of 30 fix. I guess the Funeral will be at St. Georg's Chapel and there it would surely be possible to allow more people also with Covid-restrictions such as seating apart and wearing maks.
30 is fixed for all in the UK,no exceptions.And certainly he wouldn t want to hear of any exception of the rule for him.
Royal Highness

He loved his queen, he worked hard for his ( adopted ) country, he was a solid, tender support to U. K. Head of State fulfilling her duties as a reigning queen. He earned his right to be mentioned in history.
May he rest in peace and live forever in the hearts of those he loved.
My condolences to the family. My deppest simpathies for Her Majesty the Queen, a woman who, lost, today, the love of her life...
Old 04-09-2021, 09:12 AM
Majesty

Reaction of the Dutch Royal House to the passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actuee...n-prins-philip

Tweet from King Philippe and Queen Mathilde.

https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...97871716417545
Old 04-09-2021, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Has a cause of death been released?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:17 AM
Nobility

I am deeply sad for the loss of a very respectable senior lady and her whole family. I am also sad because I remember my loved grandfather and grandmother that belonged to the same admirable generation of this extraordinary man.
I send my condolences to the Nation and the Queen for the loss of a man that learned (very painfully, I suspect) to play the second fiddle with dignity, grace e purpose, never loosing himself while doing that. Extraordinarily done Prince Phillip! Rest in peace!
Old 04-09-2021, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Reaction of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNck7xdA...d=neyi0dt3pvfe
And of course they are very close. I found Margrethe's contribution to the Queens 90 documentary one of the most moving along with Sarah Chatto.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
One of a generation we will not see the like of again.
Well said. This is exactly what makes me so sad for his loss. Feeling sorrow for the Queen as well.
Majesty

Interesting how the Dutch royal family includes the former monarch in their statement, while the Belgian message only was in name of the current head of state and his wife.
Heir Presumptive

Regarding funeral plans...

I love the name Operation Forth Bridge

Quote:
It's believed that he will have a military funeral rather than a state one, with a private service at St George's Chapel.

However the plans may have to be changed due to the Covid restrictions, which currently mean only 30 people are allowed to attend.

It's believed that organisers will keep the procession to a minimum to avoid crowds gathering.

While many of Britain's monarchs and consorts are buried in Westminster Abbey and St George's Chapel, Philip is likely to have picked a more private location. It's likely to be Frogmore Gardens, which is close to where he spent the lockdown with the Queen.

The Queen will enter eight days of mourning, during which laws will not be given the Royal Assent and affairs of state will be put on pause in a sign of respect.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/operation-forth-bridge-what-know-23883828.amp?__twitter_impression=true
Old 04-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Just watching Dr John Sentamu (retired Archbishop of York) talk about his "friend and brother" the DofE talking about having their shared sense of humour at events both discussing things like comparing Jesus turning water into wine to Uri Geller's spoon bending.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Well, this was certainly news I had been dreading. I had so hoped he'd make it to 100 as this seemed exactly the sort of thing this man with a backbone of steel would have enjoyed being able to say he had accomplished or achieved or checked off his list. He will certainly be missed. My deepest condolences to Her Majesty and family.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
And of course they are very close. I found Margrethe's contribution to the Queens 90 documentary one of the most moving along with Sarah Chatto.

It is interesting that the Danish royal house noted that Philip was born a "Prince of Greece and Denmark" ( a title he had to renounce in the UK) and that he was a great-grandchild of King Christian IX, as are also the Queen and other living European royals (Albert II of Belgium , Harald V of Norway, Constantine II of Greece, Queen Sofia, and, of course, Queen Margrethe II herself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Interesting how the Dutch royal family includes the former monarch in their statement, while the Belgian message only was in name of the current head of state and his wife.

Indeed, especially considering that, as I noted above, Prince Philip was King Albert's third cousin.

Princess Beatrix clearly had a personal relationship with the Queen and Prince Philip and that is probably why she was included in the statement. I don't think Albert and Paola are close to the British Royal Family.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How sad..
R.I.P Prince Philip
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

According to Inzamam Rashid (Sky News North of England Correspondent) with information from College of Arms, the funeral will not be a state funeral with no Lying-in-State. His Royal Highness's body will lie at rest in Windsor Castle ahead of the funeral at St. George Chapel. This was in line with the customs and His Royal Highness's wish. In accordance to COVID-19 restrictions, it regretfully requested that the members of the public do not attempt to attend or participate any events in the funeral.
Inzamam Rashid @inzyrashid
Some information on the funeral for #PrincePhilip released by the College of Arms.
11:15 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/inzyrashid/statu...09791190188033

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyiOVnPW...g&name=900x900
Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

My heart and prayers go out to his family. Even though it was probably expected, it still must have been a shock for them.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not unexpected but still very sad. I hurt for the family and the Queen.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:36 AM
Commoner

Although not entirely unexpected due to age and frail appearance, his death will bring much sorrow to his wife, and family and country.

My prayers are with Her Majesty the Queen.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:36 AM
Nobility

I'm sorry he has passed. He was one of my favorite members of the British Royal family. What an interesting life he led. And he led it with determination and panache! Rest in Peace.

Closed Thread