The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles is not the DoE has is the PoW ..... this is such sad sad news I am overwhelmed and as well send my deepest sympathy and thanks for this life that was service

Old 04-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
The reaction to Prince Philip's death on social media like Tumblr, Instagram or Twitter is making me sick. People cannot respect that a great man died today.
I visit Royal reporter accounts on Twitter, but I’m avoiding everyone else (including trending topics) because it’s vile out there. I saw one tweet asking if Charles was happy today .. I can avoid this garbage on Tumblr, fortunately, unless I might see this on one of my Tumblr friend’s account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
As the eldest son, Prince Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh. Once Charles accedes to the throne and the title merges with the Crown, Prince Edward will be created the next Duke of Edinburgh.
Thank you ! I’m sure Edward will be a fine DoE...

Old 04-09-2021, 12:20 PM

What a sad day.
The Duke of Edinburgh has died.
He was a real constant of British life.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Harry & Meghan have paid tribute to Prince Philip on their Archwell website with a simple message “Thank you for your service... you will be greatly missed.”
https://archewell.com/

Reaction of the King and Queen of Bhutan to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNc7dKZs...d=3cysnnkv0oci

Reaction of Prince Achileas of Greece, son of Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal, on the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

Quote:
A legendary, entirely unique man who constantly lived life with inspirational energy and devotion towards his many interests and loves - my family and I were deeply saddened to hear of the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh who was born Prince Philip of Greece in June 1921. He will be in my prayers, as will Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and their family. May he rest in peace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNc81BJl...=18x5pt2yy9wtj

Princess Theodora of Greece's reaction to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
Quote:
Incredibly saddened by the passing of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. An extraordinary man. May he Rest In Peace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdC_QSn...=1c1l9goh8x16f

Princess Tatiana of Greece's reaction to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdJvscH...d=1ffzf6q2lc0j
Old 04-09-2021, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...
When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Heather, that’s beautiful....
Old 04-09-2021, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Heather, that’s beautiful....
I thought so, too. Granted, President Obama has always had a talent for beautiful words but in this case it seems not only heartfelt and genuine but infinitely appropriate since there was so much press at the time about the late DoE driving the Obamas around and how much both couples enjoyed the visit.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...
When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.
This message from President Obama is comforting. It is nice to see so many world leaders sending their condolences to The Queen.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Charles is not the DoE has is the PoW ..... this is such sad sad news I am overwhelmed and as well send my deepest sympathy and thanks for this life that was service
Charles will inherit his father's titles to add to all those others he holds. He simply won't use them. The LPs written in 1947 are clear - 'heirs male of the body lawfully begotten' so Philip's titles pass to Charles now. Charles will still use Prince of Wales most of the time but Duke of Cornwall when in Cornwall or doing something with the Duchy, Earl of Chester when in Chester, Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, Lord of the Isles when in the Scottish Isles etc.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I visit Royal reporter accounts on Twitter, but I’m avoiding everyone else (including trending topics) because it’s vile out there. I saw one tweet asking if Charles was happy today .. I can avoid this garbage on Tumblr, fortunately, unless I might see this on one of my Tumblr friend’s account.
Why the hell would Charles be happy today? Even if those idiots are the ones thinking it's desperate to be King and therefore hoping for his mother's death he doesn't get an "upgrade" when his father dies.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Why the hell would Charles be happy today? Even if those idiots are the ones thinking it's desperate to be King and therefore hoping for his mother's death he doesn't get an "upgrade" when his father dies.
It’s his and Camilla’s anniversary ...

It doesn’t take much for people to hate on Charles....I blocked this person; I have no patience or tolerance for this kind of thing.

I saw multiple tweets about Diana laughing, one of which she Em’s laughing as Philip tried to get into heaven. Some people are twisted.🤬🤬🤬🤬
Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Has a cause of death been released?
I would imagine that it is due to old age.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:42 PM
Majesty

the royal messages of support have not taken long:

Spain's king and queen telegrammed "Dear Aunt Lilibet" to mourn the passing of "Dear Uncle Philip". The telegram from King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain was particularly poignant, sending "all our love and affection" to Aunt Lilibet (the affectionate name used by the duke for his wife) and Dear Uncle Philip. "We shall never forget the moments that we shared with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom by your side," they told the Queen.

Sweden's King Carl Gustaf was also moved, saying the duke had been "a great friend of our family for many years, a relation we have deeply valued".

The Dutch royal family said they remembered Prince Philip with great respect, adding: "He dedicated his long life to the service of the British people and to his many duties and responsibilities. His lively personality made an indelible impression."

Belgium's King Philippe said he and Queen Mathilde would "always cherish the memories of our warm encounters".

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56687736
Old 04-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It’s his and Camilla’s anniversary ...

It doesn’t take much for people to hate on Charles....I blocked this person; I have no patience or tolerance for this kind of thing.

I saw multiple tweets about Diana laughing, one of which she Em’s laughing as Philip tried to get into heaven. Some people are twisted.🤬🤬🤬🤬
Oh, how horrible. I'm very, very glad that I didn't see these particular tweets. I was just thinking how much significance this date has for Charles and how it must be so bittersweet and now will be so even more. April 9 is not only he and Camilla's wedding anniversary but is the date on which his beloved grandmother's funeral took place and now the date on which his father passed away.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
In think the family are incredibly lucky. Before Monday it was 15 people.

But he and his family were lucky. What a life to see 6 grandchildren married and to live to see 10 great grandchildren. Two now to be named after him.

For a man from a traumatic and fragmented background to have created and see an United and by and large stable family is amazing.

I didn’t realize that. They are fortunate in that regard. That’s twice the number of people who can attend.

That is a good point. I thought it notable that Philip had such a difficult, unstable upbringing and married a woman whose family was very close and stable. And has had a large, loving stable family of his own.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:52 PM
Commoner

I'm shocked and saddened at the news of Prince Philip's death. He was a resolute man who remained faithful to his wife, family, and country in the midst of a turbulent world. I respect him for that despite his flaws. My deepest condolences to HM The Queen and her family in this troubled times. May the Duke of Edinburgh rest in peace.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
That’s beautiful. I kinda think going home is like getting on a boat. I just think about reunion and peace.

I had the same reaction as when my grandfather died- similar- not as severe. That same stomach dropping and tears I never wanted to feel again. He’s always been there. I’ll adjust. He’s probably up there booming “ get it together.”

I can absolutely picture Philip saying that. Makes me smile to think about.

Quote:
I don’t even count Gayle King - she’s an embarrassment. The only reporters who count, as far as I’m concerned, are those from the U.K.

Those are lovely comments from President Biden

Yes- President Biden’s statement was lovely. He’s unfortunately got lots of experience with loss.

Ugh- on Gayle. In light of her recent contributions to the family drama....this is particularly distasteful.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i find their message rather cold myself....
What message? Their foundation's website has been blacked out just as The Royal Foundation's website has been. What's the difference?

Old 04-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Agreed. Really so many of the statements from other royal houses and world leaders have been so beautifully done and so personal and heartfelt without going overboard into the emotions that the late DoE would have found to be too over the top. I've been so heartened and impressed at how well done they've all been and how not a single one has sounded like a canned, generic, press-release type statement but how they've all been so beautifully personal. He clearly made a large and lasting impact on all of them.

You said that really well. All of the statements have felt personal and heartfelt in summing up a long and extraordinary life. But not over the top either.

And I’m pleased that it’s far beyond- they are saddened that the husband of HM passed.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVirginia View Post
He lived a life filled with acts we can all admire...if nothing else simply that he did not "retire" until his 90's! But I particularly remember him walking behind the casket of Princess Diana in her funeral cortege. I don't know whether or not his "position" required him to do so, but it seemed to me the act of a great gentleman.
Supposedly William said that the only way he'd walk behind Diana's coffin was if Phillip walked with him.

Closed Thread