Andrew & Sarah: Marriage, Divorce and Divorce Settlement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Sarah and Andrew will ever remarry. That part of their relationship is over. They 'share' a huge house...and live their own lives. She has publically said she regrets the divorce and (I think it was the Oprah interview) she wished they were still married. Andrew has never given any such indication by word or action. If they wanted to be married they would be..I don't think the DoE or Queen would stand in the way. Because they haven't remarried..to me indicates they are content with things as they are.

LaRae

I think Andrew hasn't said anything not because he doesn't want to, but because he knows it would be practically impossible. For he and Sarah to be married now and for Sarah to have to stand up to the scrutiny of royal life might just wreck their relationship all over again.

I don't think Sarah has any desire to be obligated for the duties of the Duchess of York again..

LaRae

They left the Church in the same car , I wonder what they said .

Of course she woudlnt. Even if she remarried Andrew, no one would want to see her doing engagements...

Her lack of self-control at her daughter's wedding was surprising, considering her many public appearances since 1986.

I think Sarah prefers her current life. She thus has more freedom, without the pressure of being a member of the Royal Family. And so I guess she would not agree to remarry Andrew.
And I think Sarah has the life she always wanted to have.

A curiosity: When was the last time Andrew and Sarah appeared together as a couple?

I disagree; I think she'd love to remarry him.
I think he is the one who doesn't want to.

In the late 90's Andrew was quoted saying that he and Sarah maintained their relationship deliberately and that "we aren't just doing it for the children". A year later in 2000 he said that re marriage was something he had "not ruled out".

But since then...nothing public from him on the subject.

Andrew and Sarah have all but ruined their public images but in a way they are having the last laugh on their detractors in the press and public. Sarah was consistently called a bad mother when the girls were little and yet her children seem among the most balanced, well bred and non neurotic of any of the Royal offspring in Europe. Their Instagram comments show that their love and respect for their scandal plagued parents borders on reverence.

As for their relationship whatever is going on with Andrew and Sarah one thing is very obvious.

They understand and apparently completely accept one another. Their children are grown. There is no reason to share their lives at this point unless they simply want to.

And if one accepts the literal Scriptural teaching regarding Christian marriage, they were never divorced and it's just a "piece of paper" anyway as Sarah once commented.

I am not sure I believe they will ever re marry at this point...but I am pretty sure that they will never marry anyone else either.

Last edited:
Of course she woudlnt. Even if she remarried Andrew, no one would want to see her doing engagements...

She already conduct engagements on behalf of her patronage’s.

In the late 90's Andrew was quoted saying that he and Sarah maintained their relationship deliberately and that "we aren't just doing it for the children". A year later in 2000 he said that re marriage was something he had "not ruled out".

But since then...nothing public from him on the subject.

Andrew and Sarah have all but ruined their public images but in a way they are having the last laugh on their detractors in the press and public. Sarah was consistently called a bad mother when the girls were little and yet her children seem among the most balanced, well bred and non neurotic of any of the Royal offspring in Europe. Their Instagram comments show that their love and respect for their scandal plagued parents borders on reverence.

As for their relationship whatever is going on with Andrew and Sarah one thing is very obvious.

They understand and apparently completely accept one another. Their children are grown. There is no reason to share their lives at this point unless they simply want to.

And if one accepts the literal Scriptural teaching regarding Christian marriage, they were never divorced and it's just a "piece of paper" anyway as Sarah once commented.

I am not sure I believe they will ever re marry at this point...but I am pretty sure that they will never marry anyone else either.

:previous::previous::previous:
100% agree with you there, neither one will marry another person as long as the other is still alive (and maybe not even then)

Last edited:
And if they remarried, I get the feeling no one would want to see him doing engagements either. :whistling:

He's not overly popular as it is, so if he were inclined to remarry her, which Im sure he is NOT, it would impinge on his popularity within his famiy and with the public. And in the unlikely event that she did get him back, I think it would be with the proviso that she was just his wife in private nad was not dong any engagements...

In

There's a very good reason for Sara to stay iwht Andrew.. she regrets the divorce and his loyalty gives her some security. And he is a decent man, in spite of his faults and wants to look after her. I don't think they will marry anyone else, Andrew has his bachelor freedom and I don't know if anyone would be that keen on him, frankly and I am even surer that Sarah is not likely to find another husband.
I wouldn't say Sarah has had the last laugh.... she's not popular among her ex's family, and certainly not among the British public. So she does look faintly risible still living with him... (in the sense of sharing a house)….

I must say, I don't really think Andrew and Sarah will ever re-marry but I also don't think they'll really ever change their arrangement. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to see a picture from Eugenie's wedding of Charles appearing to laugh with Andrew and Sarah as they sat in the church. Now I realize that pictures can be misleading but after all the talk of how Charles and Andrew are at odds, Charles can't stand Sarah, etc. it was a very nice image. So, should they ultimately choose to remarry, I don't see Charles standing in the way. Now whether the same could be said for the Duke of Edinburgh or not...

I must say, I don't really think Andrew and Sarah will ever re-marry but I also don't think they'll really ever change their arrangement. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to see a picture from Eugenie's wedding of Charles appearing to laugh with Andrew and Sarah as they sat in the church. Now I realize that pictures can be misleading but after all the talk of how Charles and Andrew are at odds, Charles can't stand Sarah, etc. it was a very nice image. So, should they ultimately choose to remarry, I don't see Charles standing in the way. Now whether the same could be said for the Duke of Edinburgh or not...

I don't see anyone really standing in their own way right now. With the announcement of the Sussex baby this morning, it's unlikely Andrew would ever end up requiring permission to marry again. Even when Charles becomes King. And I believe I heard reports that Fergie was seeking residency in Switzerland to spend more time at their chalet there. Doubt she has any plans for remarriage to Andrew if that's the case.

Honestly, this current arrangement works and has worked for years. No need to change it. Marriage does complicate matters some. And if ain't broken, why fix it?

There's a very good reason for Sara to stay iwht Andrew.. she regrets the divorce and his loyalty gives her some security. And he is a decent man, in spite of his faults and wants to look after her. I don't think they will marry anyone else, Andrew has his bachelor freedom and I don't know if anyone would be that keen on him, frankly and I am even surer that Sarah is not likely to find another husband.
I wouldn't say Sarah has had the last laugh.... she's not popular among her ex's family, and certainly not among the British public. So she does look faintly risible still living with him... (in the sense of sharing a house)….

I remember after Beatrice's birth Sarah left the infant with her nurse to spend time with Andrew on his base. The press and public went freaking wild, call her a "bad mum" who was not bonding properly with her baby by wishing to spend time with her Navy husband. I mean...how dare she, right?

She was compared with that goddess of maternal love Diana, and found severely lacking.:whistling:

When you make the decision to bring children into the world it your responsibility to see them to a stable, emotionally secure adulthood.

By that standard of sucess-their most important accomplishment ,Sarah and Andrew succeeded. They kept their family unit intact and happy. They ignored all the critics and they are still standing, living their lives.

They are having the last laugh, imo.

well if you call being pretty unpopular with the public, and in sarah's case still hanging on desperately to her ex husband, "havig the last laugh", fine. I seem to remember scandals about boht of them, only a few years ago..
Of course you could say that they are hard enough to brazen these things out... but its not IMO very admirable.

I pleasantly surprised to see a picture from Eugenie's wedding of Charles appearing to laugh with Andrew and Sarah as they sat in the church. Now I realize that pictures can be misleading but after all the talk of how Charles and Andrew are at odds, Charles can't stand Sarah, etc. it was a very nice image. So, should they ultimately choose to remarry, I don't see Charles standing in the way. Now whether the same could be said for the Duke of Edinburgh or not...

Charles is hardly going to show disdain for his brother and his ex on the day of their daughters wedding. it doesn't mean that he would welcome S back into the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles is hardly going to show disdain for his brother and his ex on the day of their daughters wedding. it doesn't mean that he would welcome S back into the family.

Of course he would. If his brother is happy with Sarah, Charles would be the last to deny his brother's happiness and wellbeing.

I would agree that he wouldn't openly be hateful or hostile on the day of their daughter's wedding. Charles is far to well-mannered for that. However, in the image I'm talking about he wasn't smiling politely and simply putting up with them, he was laughing uproariously and appeared for all the world to be having a great laugh and catching up with both Andrew and Sarah. Frankly after all the negativity and rumors, it was very, very nice to see.

well if you call being pretty unpopular with the public, and in sarah's case still hanging on desperately to her ex husband, "havig the last laugh", fine. I seem to remember scandals about boht of them, only a few years ago..
Of course you could say that they are hard enough to brazen these things out... but its not IMO very admirable.

Seriously though...why would being popular with the public matter to the Yorks? How might popularity with the public change their lifestyle one iota?:sad:

The late Princess of Wales was the most popular Royal of all, and the most miserably unhappy.

Princess Michael of Kent has also had scandals-a couple of them-and she is not very popular with the public either, but seems to live a very satisfying private life with her family around her.

I just don't see why or how it might matter to any one except the "front line" Royals like the PoW and his wife and sons and their families.

And of course HM the Queen.

I know the picture you're referring to and I really liked it too. Charles is having a good laugh with Fergie, and it's clear that William, Kate and Meghan are laughing too (Harry's face, alas, is totally obscured by one of the lamps). Charles did famously once admonish Diana, saying "Why can't you be jolly like Fergie?" and perhaps the reports of his disdain for her have been a tad exaggerated. He and his family certainly greeted her warmly.

I almost wonder if Sarah is the one who would be a bit more hesitant to remarry - she'd be back under the microscope.

I almost wonder if Sarah is the one who would be a bit more hesitant to remarry - she'd be back under the microscope.
Has she ever really left the microscope though? It has just gotten a little less focused at times but it's always there or we wouldn't see pictures of her going to dinner, skiing, etc. She's tried to find a way to make a living, lots of ways actually, and was accused of "cashing in" on her former in-laws. I've posted through the years that there was no way she could support herself, outside of remarriage to anyone, where she wouldn't be accused of either cashing in or taking a job away from someone more deserving. Kind of the same thing her daughters have had to deal with. No, the microscope is still trained on her, and the petrie dish that's the BRF hasn't quite let her out.

The microscope is not as intense as it once was, and it would be less intense if Sarah would stop courting the press and attention.
I have never thought Sarah was a bad mom though her making out with her lover in front of her kids was questionable. And I never got any inkling that Andrew was anything but a good dad. To be fair all the Queen's grandkids seem well adjusted and to have been raised well.

The microscope is not as intense as it once was, and it would be less intense if Sarah would stop courting the press and attention.
I have never thought Sarah was a bad mom though her making out with her lover in front of her kids was questionable. And I never got any inkling that Andrew was anything but a good dad. To be fair all the Queen's grandkids seem well adjusted and to have been raised well.

Nobody wants Sarah back as a member of the RF. Andy is not that popular with the public, nor is she.. but boht of them do have a rather brazen streak that I think it does not bother them too much... they wll still show up and grin.. but I don't believe that anyone in the RF would be happy with them becoming a married couple again. I certainly can't imagine Sarah doig royal engagments..

If Sarah ever re- married Andrew, would she have to do royal engagements or could she just say that she doesn't want to do them and retain the life she enjoys at present but just be married to Andrew?

I imagine that she *could* just stay in the background while Andrew is off promoting the "Firm" but it wouldn't make for good optics. More or less, if she were not to do public duties as the rest of the working royal couples, she would be giving credence to the DF commentators that would call her a "sponger".

I seriously doubt we'll ever face that situation again with Andrew and Sarah remarried. They have things exactly how the like them right now and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Is it true that if Sarah re-married Andrew she would not be allowed to appear on television shows like Good Morning Britain?

Well she couldn't go on them to sell things like she does now. She could go on them to talk about a charity or good cause

I imagine that she *could* just stay in the background while Andrew is off promoting the "Firm" but it wouldn't make for good optics. More or less, if she were not to do public duties as the rest of the working royal couples, she would be giving credence to the DF commentators that would call her a "sponger".

I seriously doubt we'll ever face that situation again with Andrew and Sarah remarried. They have things exactly how the like them right now and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

I agree, at least, I don't think they will remarry while Prince Philip is alive, but I'm not sure about after. Wouldn't Andrew want to be assured Sarah will be provided for in the event of his death, at least? Remarrying would make things more official and legal.

And perhaps as Andrew gets older and William and Harry increasingly shoulder more royal duties, he can step back a bit...

Andrew, actually, could assure that Sarah is well provided for simply putting it into a legal last will and testament. They already co-own a chalet in Verbiers and as close as the York family is, I'm sure her daughters also would see that she was well cared for and comfortable.

Today in Royal History is supposed to be the 33rd Wedding Anniversary of the Duke of York and Sarah, Duchess of York. They divorced in 30 May 1996.

:previous: I wonder if we will be seeing a photo or two of the two of them celebrating their anniversary with a romantic dinner for two in some romantic restaurant as has so often happened. For that reason, I have always wondered if they have never really considered themselves actually divorced.

Back
Top Bottom