Andrew & Sarah: Marriage, Divorce and Divorce Settlement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only reason I can think of is without being Andrew's wife they won't be able to be buried together at the royal burial ground at Frogmore. If Sarah is his wife then she could be buried beside him there but otherwise separate burials or he has to be buried somewhere else. Only royals and their spouses can be buried in the Royal Burial Ground.

There is possibly another reason. With their ties to Epstein and Maxwell, they could be called on to testify in court. If they are married, they cannot be compelled to testify against each other.

Last edited:
The Real Reason Prince Andrew and Sarah got divorced

:previous: It's almost startling to see those photos and remember how attractive those two were, individually and as a couple.

I stayed up all night for their wedding. It was very beautiful and fun and romantic. More successful than the Wales wedding five years earlier in every respect imo.

Time is so cruel, so merciless.:ermm:

I think that the signs were there that Sarah was not really likely to work out as a royal wife.. even at the beginning. I think Andrew did love her and was hurt and hardened by her infidelity and her getting fed up with him...

They were cute, once, and did seem very sweetly sincere. Even so, though:
-it’s still like watching a pair of unsupervised puppies
-and it’s quite striking and telling (and another warning sign) how much Sarah seems to be the “mature” one here…:ermm:
-and plus! Andrew’s terrible memory/obliviousness may in fact be a thing.

Last edited:
I think that the signs were there that Sarah was not really likely to work out as a royal wife.. even at the beginning. I think Andrew did love her and was hurt and hardened by her infidelity and her getting fed up with him...

Perhaps that's why she is so steadfastly loyal to him now...residual guilt?

I don't believe that he was an ideal husband either. He was self-absorbed and could have/should have stood up for her to the bullying courtiers more than he did.

In other words, they failed one another and result has been more catastrophic for the monarchy and themselves personally than anyone could have ever foreseen.:sad:

Perhaps that's why she is so steadfastly loyal to him now...residual guilt?

I may be too cynical, but I believe Fergie's loyalty is directly connected to the fact that he is her meal ticket.

She could never have the lifestyle she now enjoys if he hadn't taken her in, and had his staff treat her as his de facto wife.

:previous: I agree that might have been true in the past, but what about today?

He has been literally stripped of everything except the roof over his head. He is in the deepest disgrace of his life?

What's in it for Sarah?

He has been literally stripped of everything except the roof over his head. He is in the deepest disgrace of his life?

What's in it for Sarah?

As of now, being with Andrew still gives her a degree of financial security and a partner to be with. I do not think she has had many successful relationships since her divorce. Cynical as it may sound, I just do not think she has much going on for her outside of her relationship with Andrew.

Last edited:

What's in it for Sarah?

who else has she got? I think she's fond of Andrew, enjoys his company as a friend.. and is grateful for his loyalty. But years ago, she got fed up with him being so dull, being away a lot, and htought that she could do better, that she could find a richer man, who was a doting husband.. and she would not be bound by the restricitons of royal life.

As of now, being with Andrew still gives her a degree of financial security and a partner to be with. I do not think she has had many successful relationships since her divorce. Cynical as it may sound, I just do not think she has much going on for her outside of her relationship with Andrew.

Andrew is still well off, in that his mother will provide for him for life. and yes, I think that most of Sarah's relationships haven't worked out.. whereas Andrew is still loyal to her.

What's in it for Sarah?

He is still a prince of the blood royal, he still is a Duke and still lives on a fabulous accomodation in 40 hectares of lush green land at Windsor. Still better than living on benefits in a terraced house in Hull.

Last edited:
Continuing the remarriage discussion following the Queen's funeral:

Mods - feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread if necessary, but, I have a feeling, after the very prominent place Sarah had, sitting with the immediate members of the Royal Family at both services today, that Andrew's future could very likely include remarriage to Sarah.

Even if they did remarry I don't see a place for them in the family going forward. The Queen liked Sarah and it might have been her wish for her to attend and sit with her daughters, I don't think Charles has much time for her.

I was thinking about this, if Andrew were to remarry Sarah, would his reputation be improved a bit, even by the slightest measure? Someone who has accusations against him then settling down again in a healthy relationship, I don't know, just a thought.

From things like The Palace Papers, it's possible their relationship is more codependent than healthy.

I can see him and Sarah remarrying - something about today just struck me about the two of them. Though I do believe it was likely HM's wish for Sarah to be sat with the family so not necessarily a sign of any new developments in that area.
TBH I always got the impression one of the reasons they split was because she was deemed so unsuitable at the royal role which put pressure on them. If Andrew is no longer doing anything "official" and can no longer fly the world for fear of legal action possibly (don't know where they stand on this) I can see him and Sarah settling down somewhere almost as married or indeed getting married very quietly. He has no way of finding a new partner now - who would go near him - so they have each other.

I always thought that in fact they never stopped loving each other.

I agree that they have always been in love. After today, I’m willing to bet that they will remarry. They are good for each other.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll get remarried. If they do it will just bring more attention to the title and their private lives which I doubt they want.

There would also be questions about money and her doing things like opening a cosmetic surgery clinic in Poland (presumably for money).

Plus there was that "security incident" with woman who the guards let through to see Andrew, which suggests that they might be used to doing that.

Whatever the status of their relationship it seems to have worked for them but remarriage and the scrutiny it would bring is a different ball game IMHO.

Fergie back in the royal fold 25 after the last major even she attended. Ironically Diana's funeral ... I know she was at Harry's wedding but not seated with the family.

Lovely to see her and gracious to include her. Looks like Charles, or her Maj whoever idea ot was, got the optics so right.

Fergie back in the royal fold 25 after the last major even she attended. Ironically Diana's funeral ... I know she was at Harry's wedding but not seated with the family.

Lovely to see her and gracious to include her. Looks like Charles, or her Maj whoever idea ot was, got the optics so right.
I think it was simply because the late Queen still liked her.

I don't think they'll get remarried. If they do it will just bring more attention to the title and their private lives which I doubt they want.

There would also be questions about money and her doing things like opening a cosmetic surgery clinic in Poland (presumably for money).

Plus there was that "security incident" with woman who the guards let through to see Andrew, which suggests that they might be used to doing that.

Whatever the status of their relationship it seems to have worked for them but remarriage and the scrutiny it would bring is a different ball game IMHO.

I'm not sure that scrutiny would follow if they remarried. Andrew is no longer a working royal and is essentially persona non grata and I think any remarriage would be a quiet and private affair and we might not even find out about it until it had happened so as to avoid prolonged speculation about the event. There would be an initial flurry of interest after the news broke with some mention of toe-sucking and her being shunned by the Duke of Edinburgh, but I think The Powers That Be would ensure that coverage of anything to do with the couple would thenceforth be kept to a minimum.

I think Andrew and Sarah are fond of each other and enjoy seeing their children and grandchildren as a family but that imo is as far as it goes. Since their divorce they have been very much used to going their own ways and doing their own thing for 90% of the time and that’s not really conducive to having a happy married life.

I can’t see Andrew for example flying off to Europe or the US several times a year any more, as Sarah still often does, nor would Sarah enjoy hanging around at home with a quiet social life. So no, I really can’t see a remarriage on the cards for these two.

Last edited:
They seem to be better as friends than as husband and wife. If they remarried their relationship stability will, once again, become a bullseye for the tabloids.

I suspect if they did remarry they would now do so taking a leaf out of Beatrice’s book, and do it quietly. During a visit to Eugenie in Portugal even, if that meant the media were less likely to find out about it.

They may not have cared what the media thought before, but if the optics are wrong now, there is no chance of their grandchildren going to school without being told that what their grandfather was accused of is fact.

I was not surprised to see Sarah at the funeral, as it was Philip that couldn’t forgive her. As I understand it Sarah and Andrew were separated before the toe sucking episode, and the timing of the release of the photos unfortunate, so I can see why the Queen would have remained on good terms with her. It would have been what Andrew wanted, after all.

The biggest surprise for me was that Andrew wasn’t seated with Sarah himself, away from the Royal Family. I didn’t see anything wrong with him sitting with his siblings at their mother’s funeral, I just wouldn’t have been surprised had he not. I even thought he might prefer that, as his siblings would all be sitting with their spouses, where Sarah was never going to sit.

He would want his place in the pecking order.
As for marriage , I am not sure as she is not accountable to the royal family at the moment , that would change with a marriage. I know they live together etc but it does make a difference.

I am not sure what remarriage would get Andrew and Sarah at this stage. Andrew does not have a future as a working royal. Sarah continues with her commercial ventures with varyng levels of success, and I see no reason to interrupt it. They can live quietly as man and wife, and spend as much or as little time together as they please.

As for marriage , I am not sure as she is not accountable to the royal family at the moment , that would change with a marriage. I know they live together etc but it does make a difference.

They have been living together at Royal Lodge which is a big house with lots of rooms. I always thought the "living together" is not in the usual sense but more for practical reasons, such as saving rent for Sarah. If they would still be a loving couple it would show more in public. To me it looks like being good friends and none of them is feeling lonesome in such an arrangement.

I agree. Even though Andrew isn't a working member of the family he is still a member of the family and so would Sarah be if they remarried. She would be HRH The Duchess of York again instead of Sarah Duchess of York ( does anyone else get annoyed with the media's habit of puting all the royal ladies names in front of their titles these days when it's the style reserved for ex-wives and dowager's?) Sarah is, and always has been, a walking calamity and I can't imagine Charles would want her back for one second as she can't be trusted to behave. Anything wrong she does at the moment is on herself but it would be used as a stick to beat the Monarchy with if she was Andrew's wife and Charles dosn't need to invite anymore grief as he has enough problems to deal with.

Last edited:
The relationship which they have at the moment seems to work for them. I'm not sure what rocking the boat by remarrying would achieve.

There is also another option - they can remarry after Charles' passing away.

Andrew is 11 years younger, so probably he will outlive his brother.

Andrew and Sarah could get married in secret, but I don't know if they will, as their relationship has worked that way so far, but it could be a possibility. She seems like an excellent person to me, I saw an interview with her when she came to Portugal this year and I was impressed. I believe they like each other very much, and it's no secret that they live together.

What if they’re already married and we just don’t know?
Why else would Sarah have such a prominent seat with the royal family (even if not with Andrew) at the queens state funeral?
Even at Harry’s wedding she wasn’t seated with the royal family.

What if they’re already married and we just don’t know?
Why else would Sarah have such a prominent seat with the royal family (even if not with Andrew) at the queens state funeral?
Even at Harry’s wedding she wasn’t seated with the royal family.

She was invited by the queen because the queen has remained friends with her, though Philip could not tolerate her. Charles certianly would not want her marrying Andrew and why would she? it would just look like 2 rogues getting togehter since tehy clearly bring out the worst in each other.

Back
Top Bottom