What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think m & f are completing one another...in a way f is looking for a stronger personality (and emotionally?) than he is, but not necessarily a mother figure. And he gets that from m. as for m, she just love to be in her postion :lol:

ulik said:
i think m & f are completing one another...in a way f is looking for a stronger personality (and emotionally?) than he is, but not necessarily a mother figure. And he gets that from m. as for m, she just love to be in her postion :lol:
I think you are right ulik. Fred seems to be totally comfortable with who he is and doesn't appear to need to prove it to the world. Mary appears to be very confident and self assured. Neither seems to need the other to prop them up, but they appear to have really complimentary personalities. :cool:

Fredrik continues with the charities and interests he had before marriage, and Mary seems totally unthreatened by that. She knew what sort of a man she was marrying and accepts his continuing interest. She, in turn, is also developing her own interest and charities, and not appear to need him to "hold her hand" everywhere she goes. :D

If you take the "Royal" out of their lives, they are much like any other working married couple. Each has their own job. They just have the advantage of working for the same "firm". :cool:

Just hope they don't talk too much "shop" at home. :flowers:

...Also because they share with the media, the general public and the Danish citizens, the moust important days in Christin life, they are consider to be in my opinion, the moust kind, attentive and of course attractive royal couple at the moment!!!

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:
Because they share with the media, the general public and the Danish citizens, the moust important days in Christin life, they are consider to be in my opinion, the moust kind, attentive and of course attractive royal couple at the moment!!!

I agree with you Biboquinhas! Frederik and Mary are such a loving couple and with the cutie Christian they a very nice family.. I wish them all the best.

ysbel said:
For you who watch the Danish Royal Family in Australia, would you still follow the family if Frederik and Mary divorced and both of them remarried to other people (lets say for argument's sake that Fred's second wife would not be Australian or from New Zealand and Mary married a fellow commoner Australian and retired from public view)

I would still follow the DRF if Mary and Frederik divorced that married other people. I think the Danish Queen is interesting.

ysbel said:
I think its a mentality where people get very attached to an individual royal whereas other royalty followers such as myself have an interest more in the whole institution of the monarchy.

I agree with much of what you have said, ysbel.

From what I gather, it is a similar mentality which was shared by the Americans when Grace Kelly married into the Princely House of Monaco. They (the majority) were not interested in the institution as much as they were the indavidual.

I, like yourself, am more interested in the workings and history of Hereditary Sovereignty, though there are certain people within these institutions that appeal to me on a singular basis. Mary being the more notable and that is largely because she was an Australian, born and bred. Absolutely. Though she is not the sole reason why I am interested. Far from it.

Last edited:
For me they are lovely

Mary is wonderfull, she is elegant, and lovely, she behaviors better than if she was BORN princess, she is happy of her life and she deserves her people.

Frederik is lovely, and I felt very touched when he cried during his wedding.

Little Christian, is THE CUTTEST royal boy of our days. I love him

Henri M. said:
It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. Prince Willem-Alexander even publicly stated that he hoped that the Máxima he learned to know and became in love with, would always remain the same Máxima (and not let her unique self be buried).

I see Mary as the exact same as before her marriage, except for the weightloss and the new clothes and jewelry, but that could be said for the other crownprincesses as well. Who of the current crown princesses didn't change their appereances a wee bit? Mary changed as much as the others imo, except for maybe Letizia, who was very groomed already, since she already was an official figure.

From all the 'Crown Princesses', let me name it that way, I have never felt a 'click' with Mary. She is the fake one, with her stylistes and her strange cover-photographs which are not at all comme-il-faut for royalty. Diana started with this and caused the Beckhamization of the monarchy. Mary should not let the old and ancient House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg going the same path into the present anglosaxon disease of worshipping of celebrities and kissing every pooh-pooh of the likes of Paris Hilton or Madonna's African baby (the poor, poor thing).

What? When has Mary let the danish royal house fall into the same path as Paris Hilton? In what way(s)? In the airbrushing of the official photographs? That is CLEARLY a danish royal thing. All their pictures are airbrushed, why would Mary have any influence on that?

For no second I believed in that marriage of her. She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

What a nice thing to say.

Most of you knows me, and I uses to like mostly nobility Crownprincesses. Not for an snobish thing, but for the connection all those old Royal Houses have with the History of the countries they rules. So, generally I'm not very happy when a Royal marries an rich man's daughter (or a rich man's son, since there also are Royal Crownprincess). However, I like Princess Mary. She doesn't looks false to me. She is regal...She LOOKS regal. Who may deny it? She is naturally elegant, pretty and natural. Her jewels looks wonderfully on her. I must accept that some crowned Royals, with tons of blue blood into them, doesn't looks as well as Princess Mary does.

And she seems to be happy married to Prince Frederick. Every time I see them together, they seems to be genuinelly happy, sharing a life in common. What more can we ask for a good Crownprincess? Well, maybe intelligence, but I don't really know if she is not intelligent. Nowadays, Princes and Princesses are not allowed to show their real opinions on things, since they can't take political possitions. So, I bet she is also intelligent.

I think that Denmark has a very good Crownprincess. And she is the mother of our beloved Prince Christian! So, how couldn't we like her? ;)

Vanesa.

I find Frederick & Mary a lovely young couple. In fact I enjoy all the young roual couples. I find the Crowm Princesses very modern and refreshing.

I'd still follow the DRF 'cuz I like the history and the genealogy of that house, King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid are amongst my favorite royals:flowers:

ysbel said:
For you who watch the Danish Royal Family in Australia, would you still follow the family if Frederik and Mary divorced and both of them remarried to other people (lets say for argument's sake that Fred's second wife would not be Australian or from New Zealand and Mary married a fellow commoner Australian and retired from public view)

I would still follow the Danish royals if (a big if IMO) Mary & Fred divorced and remarried other people. Why? Because I have been introduced to a whole new type of royalty: the down-to-earth kind, that being the Danish royals, the Dutch, the Norwegian, etc. Up until Mary married Fred, the only royalty I knew of was the British royals and the royals from Monaco, both wildly different from the Danish RF. These royal families are addictive because they behave like us, like human beings. And I like Queen Margrethe as well, to me she is excentric, and I like it! :flowers:

I would still follow the DRF if, (and this is a BIG if) Fredrick and Mary were to divorce because little Christian and the new baby, despite the heritage they are born into, will always be Mary's children too and as such will be a huge part of why I like this royal family so much. It seems to me that if you met them in a pub and started a conversation with them, you would find them as easy going as any other young family. :flowers:
I would love to bump into them and have a beer.

I like them. They are simple and seems to be open to "the public"...But for me is a little better that I don't feel they are "exactly" like me, or all the magic thing about them will be lost. They are Royals. And is just for this they have this Forum devoted to them. If they have been like you and me, we should be not speaking of them, here in a message board. I'm sure you don't care to discuss a couple, friend of mine who I use to go to drink beer with. But you really cares to discuss Prince Frederick and Princess Mary. This makes all the difference.

Vanesa.

I'm in the minority at least on this page of the thread maybe in other pages it states other things. But I for one do not think of the Danish RF as simple or even down to earth. I mean maybe they are but they are a royal family and they are not constantly letting us in to the palace and letting us see them in real life situations. I think they are mysterious and similar to other royal families. We don't really know what they are really and truly like. Pics and appearances are carefully scheduled and shown to represent the family in a good way not neccesarilly in a natural way. Personally I think they are a little showy at times and I also think much like Beatrix and Elizabeth, Margarethe keeps the standards high. So saying they are simple I can not agree.

I understand the history in the Danish RF and therefore I follow them a bit but not as much as other RF's. I do like Mary's fashion sense. But I haven't been impressed with Fred at all. However, I did recently do some research on his educational experiences and I now know that he has definitely spent more time in a classroom preparing for his future than some other royals. But in recent months/year he hasn't done much that has made me really like him any more or less. However, in Fred's defense I can certainly see that he has a position for life I mean crown prince and then someday king so the attention is never going away from him. So it does make sense that there would be times when he would essentially want or need a break from the rigid very royal schedule of appearances which seems to be happening. Hence Mary seeming to be doing more public appearances than him in recent months.

To sum it all up I wouldn't say I dislike Fred and Mary. But for some reason it has taken me a very long time to warm up to them. I'm still not completely "gaga" over them. I think I pay attention to them more for curiousity reasons then any other reason. I just haven't discovered any real connection to them like I have with other royals. However that's what is so great about having many different royal families to follow.

Last edited:
Aurora810 said:
they are not constantly letting us in to the palace

Do you mean like tours of the palaces/residences? Or do you mean actually seeing them living inside the palaces?

I agree with you on your point of Margrethe keeping the standards high, which I think is good for a monarch to do. I mean, if her expectations of her family were low, we would hardly see any of them! ;)

JessRulz said:
Do you mean like tours of the palaces/residences? Or do you mean actually seeing them living inside the palaces?

Yes, I mean in actual living situations. Not that I would expect them to or anything. I just think it's hard to say that people are down to earth when you don't actually know them. Yes, it appears they are possibly. Especially since both Fred and Joachim married common girls. But we just don't know for sure.

And also I don't mean standards being kept so high that it makes it possible for us to see them more. I mean standards as in the way they dress and act in public. For example wearing hats to certain events. Dressing in certain wear at certain functions. Acting and walking in certain ways. For example I once saw some pics of the RF walking into a church service in honor of the tsunami victims. Anyways, the thing that struck me as a high standard was that Fred and Mary didn't walk in together like a normal married couple. They instead walked in a line right behind each other. First the Queen her consort, then Fred and Mary followed behind Fred. Typically and I think maybe in the Norwegian RF one would see Haakon and M-M walking in similar to how other regular married couples would walk in, side by side and holding hands possibly. Here are also some examples of this service so you can see what I mean.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74435&d=1104692554 (originally posted by Julia)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74669&d=1104761408 (originally posted by Anna_R)

In my opinion it's these rather small but at the same time large differences between a royal family and a typical/simple family. But that is what I really do like the fact that the standards are a little higher. But at the same time I can't say that I don't like it when the standards aren't as high either. I love the Norwegian RF but I believe there is a much simple approach with them. After all Martha Louise wrote that children's book about how they don't wear crowns because they want to fit in with the regular people more. I wouldn't want every country to be the exact same but the higher standards seems to fit well with Denmark.

Last edited:
Aurora810 said:
I just think it's hard to say that people are down to earth when you don't actually know them. Yes, it appears they are possibly. Especially since both Fred and Joachim married common girls. But we just don't know for sure.

I think that I can say with a certain amount of evidence from the past that the family are down to earth. They are seen in public doing more normal things than say, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Anne or other members of the British Royal family. On their recent trip to Tasmania they were seen shopping, walking with dogs and babies, heck, Fred even opened the front door when someone knocked. Mary took a regular flight to Australia and a taxi to her distination. In their homeland they visit her father and stepmother in the car parking on the street and unloading strollers and nappy bags just like any other young family, that to me seems to suggest that, if you met them in a pub, like Fred did Mary, they would be quite happy to chat. That is what I, personally, find so appealing about them.:flowers: IMO

crisscross1 said:
I think that I can say with a certain amount of evidence from the past that the family are down to earth. They are seen in public doing more normal things than say, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Anne or other members of the British Royal family. On their recent trip to Tasmania they were seen shopping, walking with dogs and babies, heck, Fred even opened the front door when someone knocked. Mary took a regular flight to Australia and a taxi to her distination. In their homeland they visit her father and stepmother in the car parking on the street and unloading strollers and nappy bags just like any other young family, that to me seems to suggest that, if you met them in a pub, like Fred did Mary, they would be quite happy to chat. That is what I, personally, find so appealing about them.:flowers: IMO

Well that's your opinion. But as for me I'm not sure because I don't know them personally. It's easy to appear down to earth and do "normal" things when people are watching. That is one thing about all RF's they really know how to show themselves as normal which is great. But my point is that I would never go that far as to say that about anyone without sitting down and really talking to them. There's people in this world that do all the things that you just listed but when you sit down with them they are not down to earth they think it's all about them. They think they are all that and a bag of chips. ;) We don't know what goes on behind closed doors!

oh and another thing. The trip to Tasmania was meant for them to be in privacy to have time away from the limelight. They should do normal things and do things in a very unassuming manner. It wasn't a state sponsered trip. It wasn't official. Can you imagine the negative headlilnes if Mary had been picked up at the airport in a limo. RF's are smart they know how to appear normal enough but at the same time not too normal. Because if they are too normal the ohh and aww of royalty ceases to exist.

Aurora810 said:
Well that's your opinion. But as for me I'm not sure because I don't know them personally. It's easy to appear down to earth and do "normal" things when people are watching. That is one thing about all RF's they really know how to show themselves as normal which is great. But my point is that I would never go that far as to say that about anyone without sitting down and really talking to them. There's people in this world that do all the things that you just listed but when you sit down with them they are not down to earth they think it's all about them. They think they are all that and a bag of chips. ;) We don't know what goes on behind closed doors!

I don't know what 'being all that and a bag of chips' has to do with being down to earth. You are talking about their personailty. Sure there are people who are boring, interesting, intelligent, egotistic, shy, that is their personalities. I am saying that if I met Fred and Mary in a pub, they give the impression they would take the time to stop and say hello. I might leave the pub and think what crashing bores they were or how incredibly self centered they were, but I would still have had the opportunity to meet them in that normal 'down to earth' setting.
The Prime Minister of Australia, who seems to be 'very down to earth' is quite often seen jogging on a nice morning. People often stop him to say hello and talk about things in general. Apparently he has a warm and kind personality.
That's my point.

Aurora810 said:
oh and another thing. The trip to Tasmania was meant for them to be in privacy to have time away from the limelight. They should do normal things and do things in a very unassuming manner. It wasn't a state sponsered trip. It wasn't official. Can you imagine the negative headlilnes if Mary had been picked up at the airport in a limo. RF's are smart they know how to appear normal enough but at the same time not too normal. Because if they are too normal the ohh and aww of royalty ceases to exist.

Seriously, I think you are missing the point.
Have a Happy Easter.:flowers:

See we are two different people and in my mind "down to earth" is a phrase that you use to describe someone that you know personally. I would never say that about a celeb or royal. I might say hey I heard from people that know Tiger Woods that he is really down to earth I might also say that based on blank Mary seems down to earth. But I would never say that they are definitely down to earth people. My point is that we just don't know for sure. We are judging them by pictures, articles, and short interviews. You can't judge a person accurately by that. This has nothing to do with anything but I often think to myself if I was ever able to meet a few of these royals and get to know them on a personal level I think I might be really shocked. Chances are that the ones I judge to be the most natural, compassionate, and easygoing. The ones I like the most I might not like at all in person. And instead the ones that I was unsure of based on their pics and interviews might actually be the ones I like the most. ;)

Aurora810 said:
For example I once saw some pics of the RF walking into a church service in honor of the tsunami victims. Anyways, the thing that struck me as a high standard was that Fred and Mary didn't walk in together like a normal married couple. They instead walked in a line right behind each other. First the Queen her consort, then Fred and Mary followed behind Fred ... Here are also some examples of this service so you can see what I mean.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74435&d=1104692554 (originally posted by Julia)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74669&d=1104761408 (originally posted by Anna_R)

That possibly could have been because they walked in beside bishops. The aisles aren't wide enough to have more than two people walk side by side, and in this instance, F&M walked beside bishops instead of side by side with each other. But at the reburial of Empress Maria Fydnorovna (spelling?), Mary & Fred did walk in together at the service in Denmark :flowers:

Last edited:
crisscross1 said:
Seriously, I think you are missing the point.
Have a Happy Easter.:flowers:

No I'm not missing the point don't judge that post. Look at the time I wrote it I wrote it before you made your next post back to me. That post was really just an add on to my previous post.

It's all about perception. You have your perception of Fred and Mary. And I have mine. I'm new to this royalty thing. I'm not that familiar with everyone. I'm still learning. And I'll admit I have been real slow to warm up to Fred and Mary. Not sure why! But I don't see some of the warmth in pics of them interacting with the people that I see with other royals. But that's just my perception! I very well might be wrong they might be behind closed doors some of the warmest and friendliest people ever and those that I've judged to be warm are in reality not that warm. Do you see what I'm saying? It's all about perception. But make no mistake about it the RF's are very keen to how they are perceived. I think I judge things that they do a little different then you also. But that's expected we are two different people from different places. It's okay to agree to disagree.:)

JessRulz said:
That possibly could have been because they walked in beside bishops. The aisles aren't wide enough to have more than two people walk side by side, and in this instance, F&M walked beside bishops instead of side by side with each other. But at the reburial of Empress Maria Fydnorovna (spelling?), Mary & Fred did walk in together at the service in Denmark :flowers:

I doubt it. The whole mood of the service was just different then that of other things. I didn't mean it as a bad thing I just happened to notice it and thought it was a good way to show an example of higher standards. But another example of higher standards is the use of Fred's uniform. You don't see other princes in their uniforms as much as Fred. I think!

Aurora810 said:
I doubt it. The whole mood of the service was just different then that of other things. I didn't mean it as a bad thing I just happened to notice it and thought it was a good way to show an example of higher standards. But another example of higher standards is the use of Fred's uniform. You don't see other princes in their uniforms as much as Fred. I think!

Ah, I get your drift now :) I don't know whether it's the higher standards thing, or a protocol thing, but I get what you're trying to say

Aurora810 said:
I'm new to this royalty thing. I'm not that familiar with everyone. I'm still learning. And I'll admit I have been real slow to warm up to Fred and Mary.

I assumed that because, looking through your past posts, you have made quite a few posts in the DRF threads, you must know a lot about them. Anyway as you said, we all have our own opinions but, having looked up the definiton of 'down to earth' I know what it means and I am happy using it in the context that I did. It is still my opinion.

crisscross1 said:
I assumed that because, looking through your past posts, you have made quite a few posts in the DRF threads, you must know a lot about them. Anyway as you said, we all have our own opinions but, having looked up the definiton of 'down to earth' I know what it means and I am happy using it in the context that I did. It is still my opinion.

Yes, I really have to stop saying that because I'm really not new anymore. I have looked through past threads and done as much reading up as I can. However, I wouldn't classify myself an expert either though. Not sure but I guess you are being sarcastic as well. Lets just agree to disagree. It's not even that we are disagreeing you are comfortable describing them as down to earth and I'm not because I don't know for sure. RF's know what they are doing they know when to project the "royal" side and they know when to allow themselves to be viewed as "somewhat normal". I would have to say the Danes definitely appear more "down to earth" then say the British well except for Harry. I mean getting drunk and stumbling out of a bar. Well, how much more "down to earth" can one be?;)

Last edited:
Aurora810 said:
No I'm not missing the point don't judge that post. Look at the time I wrote it I wrote it before you made your next post back to me. That post was really just an add on to my previous post.

It's all about perception. You have your perception of Fred and Mary. And I have mine. I'm new to this royalty thing. I'm not that familiar with everyone. I'm still learning. And I'll admit I have been real slow to warm up to Fred and Mary. Not sure why! But I don't see some of the warmth in pics of them interacting with the people that I see with other royals. But that's just my perception! I very well might be wrong they might be behind closed doors some of the warmest and friendliest people ever and those that I've judged to be warm are in reality not that warm. Do you see what I'm saying? It's all about perception. But make no mistake about it the RF's are very keen to how they are perceived. I think I judge things that they do a little different then you also. But that's expected we are two different people from different places. It's okay to agree to disagree.:)
Please don't apologise, your posts are some of the most sensible and level-headed in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom