The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the comments on here before I clicked the link, I expected a very different picture than what I ended up finding. I see absolutely nothing outrageous about that picture. That's a 16-year-old girl being a 16-year-old girl.

And I guarantee you, older generations of royals will have been in similar situations (partying and having fun with friends? Haven't we all?), only they have been afforded the privilege of not having lived through those situations in a time where everything you do is blasted onto social media.

British royal family member Jack Brooksbank, who is in his 30s, recently received outraged comments on social media for photographs of a boating trip with female coworkers and guests wearing swimwear.

I saw nothing but a bunch of 16 year old girls partying. The only difference is that social media is now a thing. And as Muhler stated earlier, this looks like a themed party. I was expecting pearl-clutching photo!

Royals of bygone years have done the same thing too - and Princess Alexia will not the only one in her Royal age group that will have these photos "leaked"...

I apologize if this is incorrect as I have not had the time to follow the story, but from the news posted in this thread it appears that the "pearl-clutching" is directed at the media or whoever may have published the photographs rather than the princess.

The event at issue was not part of the school's curriculum. It was not an academic event. It was an event outside of learning hours.

I don't have a good analogy for outside the U.S., but the event was extracurricular, and voluntarily attended, like a fraternity party. The event was likely also created by, and run by, the students, and not the administration. Attendance was not mandatory. We don't know if the same type of themed party existed when the Duchess of Brabant attended.

I have no issue with Alexia's choices. I have no issue with a student choosing not to make the same choices. One doesn't have to defend Alexia by implying something untoward against another classmate who wasn't photographed.

The admissions process for UWC colleges differs by country. You apply through your country's committee. I imagine this is so each student is fairly judged on their academics and accomplishments based on their local area.

Deadlines also differ by country committees, thus I would infer there is a variety of acceptance dates. As each committee determines acceptances for their regions, a decision made by the Dutch region has no effect on the timing of a decision made by the Spanish region.

The site removed the picture, it is no longer there. They write that they did so after reading the comments.

Thanks for the update. My (not-royalty interested) husband recently asked how she was spending her gap year and I had no clue. My guess is she will spend quite some time traveling South America, so it seems I got the America right but she is in the North instead of South (so far). And I agree, most likely lots of her plans are 'pandemic-dependent'.

That is her assumed boyfriend, a purely wild guess by the YouTube poster. I do not even recognize Amalia at all.

Has Maxima seen to it that her daughters learn Spanish?

Just curious.;)

During their conversation with the press at the end of the state visit, queen Máxima and king Willem-Alexander shared that Amalia is enjoying her gap year, which includes some internships and 'hobbies' which will help her grow as a person before she starts university studies next year. She is nervous about her entrance into the Council of State and the speech she will be giving; but her father had the same experience and is supporting her.

They haven't seen Alexia since she left for school in Wales due to the very strict Covid-regulations at the school that until very recently didn't allow students to leave the school (makes you wonder about why Leonor was allowed to leave) nor receive visitors. They now allow students to leave the school, so the king and queen hope to go to a place near the school soon to be able to see their daughter (all: Covid-regulations permitting). Alexia is enjoying her time; she was a bit nervous at first and it was rather intense to start studying fully in English but she is fully enjoying her time there - also taking advantage of the many extracurricular activities.

Has Maxima seen to it that her daughters learn Spanish?

Just curious.;)

Yes, the princesses grew up bilingual Dutch-Spanish (possibly trilingual - not sure when they started to learn English). Máxima herself spoke Spanish to them in private (which is the smart thing to do). As a family they speak Dutch but at least when they were young individual conversations between Máxima and her daughters were in Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
The book about Amalia seems to confirm that Alexia is indeed 'the rebel' in the family. She is the one who likes to challenge their father (and mother) at times. Amalia prefers harmony over conflict.

(Based on an article by royalblog about the book)

Last edited:
Good idea!

Protesting while you are flown with private jets to family properties in Austria, Greece and Argentina? Protesting while sunbathing on her father's petrol-swallowing boat? Protesting but at the same time cheering compatriot Max Verstappen at the Formula One in Zandvooort, the race-track owned by her cousin Bernhard van Vollenhoven.

It comes out of a good heart but I am afraid Alexia is a little blind for her own massive carbon footprint.

Protesting while you are flown with private jets to family properties in Austria, Greece and Argentina? Protesting while sunbathing on her father's petrol-swallowing boat? Protesting but at the same time cheering compatriot Max Verstappen at the Formula One in Zandvooort, the race-track owned by her cousin Bernhard van Vollenhoven.

That was my initial reaction too, but, since I am not Dutch, I thought it would be inappropriate to comment. Anyway, you beat me to it.

It comes out of a good heart but I am afraid Alexia is a little blind for her own massive carbon footprint.
Bingo! I suspect like many (not all) teenagers Alexia is protesting because it is the "in" thing to do.

Bingo! I suspect like many (not all) teenagers Alexia is protesting because it is the "in" thing to do.

Absolutely.

Teenagers tend to do and share the opinion of their peers and get involved in what is the current fashion so to speak among teenagers. - At present it's very much the climate.
Not the worst thing to support and demonstrate for of course.
We can't expect a sixteen year old to think several steps ahead and turn the mirror at herself and realize that it may appear somewhat hypocritical.
I think Alexia genuinely believe something should be done to address the changing climate and she would like to support that. - And on top of that it's a fun and feel-good thing to do with the other teens.

Anyway, it takes a very strong-minded teenager to stay home when all her friends and classmates and everybody else in her immediate social circle wants to go do something.
Especially when it's about saving the world, something most thinking teenagers are very keen on.

- When the drums are beaten everybody, but the strongest, march...

That’s true for many adults who attend protests, as well.

Sure, kids Alexia’s age do what their friends do, or what their parents have told them is the right thing to do (except for the ones who make a point of doing exactly the opposite of what their parents have told them). But no teenager ever became a well informed adult able to think for herself without having these sorts of experiences and being exposed to the different view points that are out there.

Let's cut Alexia some slack, she is 16, she is allowed to change her mind as she grows up and learns more in life.

Or are we going to hold 'went with her parents on holiday during covid' against her all her life?

Wouldn't her parents be responsible for that anyway, considering she is still a minor? Bashing teenagers for being in favour of a cleaner environment is IMO not necissarily a very edifying thing to do. Irritating as these teenagers may be to some, they are forming their personalities and shaping their values. Some of it will stay and some may not. But I think we should be happy that they try to get engaged.

If we were to point out hypocricy in all the good causes that are supported the RF may as well drop most of the things they do. The same could probably be said for most of us too probably.

Last edited:
A sarcastic comment directed to the woke incrowd by the French columnist Sylvain Ephimenco (a regular contributor to the newspaper Trouw):

An immense deception: Amalia likes boys !

Sylvain Ephimenco
November 18, 2021, 07:46

Suddenly there was a breeze of euphoria on that 12th of October. After questions from the VVD (Conservative Liberals) and the PvdA (Labour) in response to the book Amalia, the call of duty by Peter Rehwinkel, outgoing Prime Minister Mark Rutte thought the time had come to place the dots the i's and to cross the t's.

No, there was nothing to prohibit the Princess of Orange from falling in love with a lady. In fact, there will be nothing in any Act of Consent making it impossible for Princess Amalia to marry a person of the same gender. At most, a complicating factor will arise when a potential heir to the throne would be identified from said marriage.

We, from the us-kows-us incrowd, were already thinking about it: soon we will have a modern Queen who has mastered the Zeitgeist and next to her on the throne a fabulous Princess-Consort! We already dreamed, as a royal enrichment, of a new addition to the already complicated category lgbtqiap+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, asexual, pansexual). Something alike lgbtqiapMajesty+.

But with Claudia de Breij's recently released book Amalia, an icy shower fell on our galloping imagination: the Princess of Orange likes boys! She even described her type as a boy who is not rude, but has gallant manners. Preferably a German. Such a typical German Hofjunker (Court squire) without Dutch DNA because there is some genetic clumsiness ingrained there.

Yesterday we could read in the Volkskrant column by Aaf Brandt Corstius how immense the disappointment was. The columnist wrote down the words of author De Breij with grit: 'Years after now, a Prince-Consort on the horizon'. And cynically she added: "Well well, we can all breathe a sigh of relief." Not so.

But don't worry, according to Aaf, because nothing is lost. She said that we must know today's 18-year-olds aren't into gay-this, or straight-that, or bi at all: "They're just individuals and they just like somebody else. The one week they have a crush on a boy, the next week on a girl. The following week on someone whose gender cannot be determined."

Yes, today's eighteen-year-olds can steal the entire rainbow flag in three weeks! Aaf's conclusion: everything is still possible, because 'a Prince Consort does not need to have a penis'. Who knows, with or without a penis, the hetero-dominance of 90 to 95 percent of humanity will finally be broken! For example, I was reminded of one of Eva Meijer's last colum in this newspaper this summer. She stated she understood little about this 'choice for heterosexuality', which she called 'indoctrination', because with this someone 'excludes possible partners on the basis of their gender'.

She also complained about "heterosexual propaganda" in books, movies and commercials. Gripped by the stormy Zeitgeist, I have now decided to come out myself. I make it all public now and unequivocally admit that I am an ordinary straight male, a product of pure propaganda, indoctrination and a wrong choice. And the worst thing: I find being straight very pleasant and most exciting!

Source: https://www.trouw.nl/opinie/een-immense-teleurstelling-amalia-valt-op-jongens~bac21179/

Last edited:
Oh dear, the anti-woke warrior of Trouw going for easy clickbait again. What a cranky bore he has become. It is a good business model for these columnists to create outrage by looking high and low while searching in whatever corner they can find a woke-remark about which they can be outraged. At the same time we have people issueing near death-threats in our parlament, but that is not a problem for Ephimenco, or so it seems.

This narrative of hetrosexuality being under attack while people of other preferences are emancipating is as tedious as it is paranoid. Not that the column of Aaf made much sense, at least not outside her progressive urban bubble of the Volkskrant readers.

I do not think the right wing conservatives have the perogative of expecting the RF to live up to their value system alone. The monarchy will need to represent all of us. In fact it is now the populist right who is consistantly insulting the monarch, in ways we have not seen in recent history, not even by the former Mao-ist party. Only last week Baudet referred to the King as 'a weak d#ck', not something that others do. Except Wilders of course, who enjoyed insulting Queen Beatrix in the past.

Last edited:
Oh dear, the anti-woke warrior of Trouw going for easy clickbait again. It is a good business model for these columnists to create outrage by looking high and low while searching in whatever corner they can find a woke-remark about which they can be outraged. At the same time we have people issueing near death-threats in our parlament, but that is not a problem for Ephimenco, or so it seems.

I found it spot-on because while the "silent majority" most likely thought it was only Selbstverständlich that Amalia has a crush on gallant German boys ("what else do you expect?") the progressive us-knows-us (who would prefer to topple the monarchy anyway) suddenly is disappointed because we will not have a Lesbian Queen ???? Pardon eh... of course I meant, in newspeak: a lgbtqiap+ Bearer of the Crown.

Last edited:
I doubt that a silent majority is longing for a German husband for Amalia TBH. I suspect most people will not care one way or the other. But I can't see what is wrong in Aaf thinking it would be nice to have a Lesbian queen. Much as you and I hypothetically may prefer to have a queen who marries Duke Karl-Theodor of Württemberg or another German nobleman. Why would such a preference be more acceptable than that of Aaf Brandt Corstius?

Why this opinion of Aaf BC and her weak column needs to lead to this victimhood narrative puzzles me. Though as I said Ephimenco is obviously aiming for clicks. This narrative of a one and undevided Volksgemeinschaft with a uniform opinion & that is constantly under attack from outsiders is a rather creepy concept to begin with.

Last edited:
Do not underestimate "the silent majority"... I am afraid that I am with Sylvain Ephimenco on this because he reveals the double agenda amongst the us-knows-us incrowds (the Gutmenschen) commenting on Amalia:

Boohooohooohooo !!!

Geez, what is the matter?

Boohoohoohoo.... we will not have a proud Lesbian Queen !!!

Uh oh.... I thought you wanted the blow up the monarchy anyway?

:lol:

Last edited:
I am not sure if Aaf ever said she wanted to 'blow up' or do anything at all about the monarchy. But Ephimenco is a republican - which was a theme in his book 'Een beetje dom' or in for example this column. So by your own logic the double agenda will at least not be restricted to Aaf BC alone but can be laid on the feet of Ephimenco too.

After Hooghiemstra abused Pss Alexia for point-scoring and clicks in an -IMO- inflated and paranoid anti-woke battle Ephimenco now does the same with the princess of Orange.

The danger for the monarchy these days does however not come from the left. 'The left' is barely existent in our country. Close to death even if we look at the amount of seats in parlament. The real danger to the monarchy comes from the populist right, whose aim it is to undermine our institutions. It is Baudet who is insulting the King, calling him 'a weak d#ck'. It is Wilders who attacked Beatrix whenever he got the chance as he found her too 'politically correct' and it was Fortuyn who was openly republican and who critisized Queen Beatrix whenever he could as well.

To be navigating in this context this is a mine field for the RF and I am not sure how much longer they can do it without the whole thing falling apart.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Aaf ever said she wanted to 'blow up the monarchy'. But Ephimenco is a republican - which was a theme in his book 'Een beetje dom' or in this column. So by your own logic the double agenda will not be restricted to Aaf BC alone but can be laid on the feet of Ephimenco too.

Naturellement, as a true French compatriot, fully indoctrinated by the French system, Sylvain Ephimenco is a republican ( Liberté ! Egalité ! Fraternité ! ) and that is exactly why he has a special angle looking to Les Pays-Bas, wondering about a self-declared "modern and tolerant" society having such an anomaly as a hereditary succession. How can Les Bataves (synonymous for The Barbarians in his French eyes) endure this?

And trust me, Aafje, as a true daughter of her raging father Hugo Brandt Corstius (he was a feared columnist with a razorsharp pen) would prefer nothing more than see the Oranges backing their bags and leave a.s.a.p.

:lol:

Sure, in polite company they most likely will show a detached and patronising attitude about the monarchy -partially to reaffrim their own image. But these canal-belt progressives have the tendency to be turning into ermine fleas whenever it counts. Just look at the author of the book on Amalia.

Beatrix and Claus were especially good in making connections with them, which was more important in their days as the caviar left still had a somewhat important voice. It is however on its deathbed now and heading for extinction as the cultural climate in the country has turned firmly anti-intellectual.

If the caviar left was the worst the RF were to fear we would surely be keeping the house of Orange until the end of times.

Last edited:
The Princess of Orange was quite relaxed about an eventual end of the monarchy. In the book she said to author Claudia de Breij: „Ze mogen het best doen hoor, dan ga ik ook door met mijn leven.”

(They can do it anyway, also then I will continue with my life.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom