The Future of the British Monarchy 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the coronation the royals will return to the normal routine of events with no 'big' events hopefully for the next 20 years or so (and that will be a funeral).

In the 21st century we have had 3 major funerals, 4 televised weddings, 3 jubilees and now a coronation.

Go back into the last 20 years of the 20th century and there were 3 televised weddings and one funeral.

In the 20 years before that - 1 jubilee and 3 televised weddings (Anne, Alexandra and Margaret).

We have been spoilt with the really big events over the first quarter of this century but no events on the large scales are now expected (or hoped for by most) until Charles dies or the Wales children start to marry.

No major royal births - yes I know Eugenie is expecting but that will not create a frenzy in the way the the Wales' births did (or even hers did back in the day).

Yes I know Louise and James will probably marry in the next 20 years but at most they will be private weddings at St George's and the King may even ask for them to be more like Beatrice's was in the end - nothing other than a couple of pictures released.

A lot may happen in twenty years: Camilla will be 95 (turning 96 in 2043) and Charles would be 94 (turning 95); so, while I wish them longevity, it's quite uncertain whether both will reach that age. While Charles's parents quite exceptionally both did, Camilla's parents did not (they reached the ages of 89 and 72).

And I wouldn't mind if/exclude the option of one of the Wales children married/marrying while in their twenties.

A lot may happen in twenty years: Camilla will be 95 (turning 96 in 2043) and Charles would be 94 (turning 95); so, while I wish them longevity, it's quite uncertain whether both will reach that age. While Charles's parents quite exceptionally both did, Camilla's parents did not (they reached the ages of 89 and 72).

And I wouldn't mind if/exclude the option of one of the Wales children married/marrying while in their twenties.

You obviously missed by use of the word 'hopefully' for nothing for about 20 years.

I suspect Camilla's funeral will be quite low key as well. She isn't beloved in the UK and I don't see her having a lying in state or anything like that.

Of course the Wales children could marry in their 20s. In 20 years George will be 29, Charlotte 27 and Louis 25 so just about marrying ages.

You obviously missed by use of the word 'hopefully' for nothing for about 20 years.

I suspect Camilla's funeral will be quite low key as well. She isn't beloved in the UK and I don't see her having a lying in state or anything like that.

Of course the Wales children could marry in their 20s. In 20 years George will be 29, Charlotte 27 and Louis 25 so just about marrying ages.

I think that Camilla's popularity might rise but hardly outright boost since there will be fewer of people whom have memories about Diana so not ranting of Camilla stealing Diana's place.

I think that Wlliam's children are probably at early fo their 30's when they marry. Nowadays it is pretty rare that even someone commoner marry before their 30th birthday. William was too around 30 when marryied and Harry was already over 30 when married. So I would expect that at least George and Louis are already on their early 30's when they are marrying.

The funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh was "no fuss please" as he wished but actually did impress me more than the funeral of the Queen, to be honest. The fact that it all did happen within the magnificent Windsor Castle grounds and was more intimate made it more a "family event" we all could witness.

May King Charles III and Queen Camilla live many more years in good health andd "rule" over their Realms in a long period of peace and prosperity.

Yes It will be very interesting to see what happens in the future, I mean I'm younger then William so I could even see Prince George's Coronation and his Children get married as well as him so lots of exciting events for me to come Royal in the future including today

Probably not. It will be a long time before George gets married..and the next really big event will probalby be Charles' funeral and Williams accession.

I suppose also even though not Royal events we will have the WW2 Anniversury events happening in the next decade that the Royals will take part in. Wonder if there might even be a balcony appearance for that event like the 50th of VD Day

I think that Wlliam's children are probably at early fo their 30's when they marry. Nowadays it is pretty rare that even someone commoner marry before their 30th birthday. William was too around 30 when marryied and Harry was already over 30 when married. So I would expect that at least George and Louis are already on their early 30's when they are marrying.

I wish King Charles III to live so long to meet his first great-grandchild!?:flowers:

I suppose also even though not Royal events we will have the WW2 Anniversury events happening in the next decade that the Royals will take part in. Wonder if there might even be a balcony appearance for that event like the 50th of VD Day
none of these will happen until the 2040s

Trying to do some maths here but I have just turned 30. I could see 3 coronations (This one included) Could I likely even see Prince George Kids get married

Talking to many of the people at the party - many people noted that they were there because this will be the last of the royal events forever. And I agree. Yes - I might (hopefully not too soon) see Charles funeral but it will not be the pomp and cermony of Elizabeth II. I think we have seen the last coronation - and we will just have a enthronement ceremony of Prince William. George will probably marry at Windsor.
We will probabaly not see anything of the lesser royal weddings, and that includes Charlottes and Louis's.
This is the last of the great royal occasions. Their time has passed. What is that saying - its the End of the Parade.

You could be right but I can't see it. Look at the pictures today of the crowd. We love our pomp and It won't change too much

I did have a good chuckle when an American commentator said that the Mall was fulled with mostly tourists - I was thinking we wish. Does he know the exchange rates and flight of airline tickets these days.
I am glad that people put the nay says to rest - all those commentators saying that there will be far less people then the Jubilee.

Talking to many of the people at the party - many people noted that they were there because this will be the last of the royal events forever. And I agree. Yes - I might (hopefully not too soon) see Charles funeral but it will not be the pomp and cermony of Elizabeth II. I think we have seen the last coronation - and we will just have a enthronement ceremony of Prince William. George will probably marry at Windsor.
We will probabaly not see anything of the lesser royal weddings, and that includes Charlottes and Louis's.
This is the last of the great royal occasions. Their time has passed. What is that saying - its the End of the Parade.

That is very possible but I think these events will continue to be major celebrations. They may adapt with the times but the urge to celebrate major milestones is part of our human nature.

There was a big TV audience for Harry and Meghan's wedding, and even Eugenie and Jack's wedding drew a far bigger TV audience than is the norm for a weekday morning. People like to see the royals, the celebs, the fashions. I'm sure that Louis and Charlotte's weddings will be televised live, in whatever form television exists in by then! And I think William will have a proper Coronation. But all of those things are, hopefully, a long way into the future.

What would likely be the next big Event after the coronation royal family wise

We won’t see anything on this scale until Charles’ funeral and Williams coronation (if he have one)

The next ”major” british royal family celebration will likely be Charles’ 80:th Birthday in 2028

Camilla turns 80 in 2027 but that will more likely be celebrated by a private family dinner at Windsor or Balmoral and a royal 21-Gun salute by the military…. I really can’t see her wanting to have her birthday as a public spectacle… She loves these grand ceremonies as much as Prince Philip did (=not at all)

Last edited:

I don’t think George will be allowed by The King (wether it is his father or his grandfather) to marry outside of London if UK is still a monarchy… There will be a too big public interest for that…

Wether William will have a coronation depends on if The King is still the Supreme Governor of the Church of England by the time of his accession… If he is not, then the only legitimate reason for not ending the coronations has gone…

Last edited:
Nowadays it is pretty rare that even someone commoner marry before their 30th birthday.

The Office of National Statistics' data for opposite-sex marriages legally registered in England and Wales in 2019 shows that 36% of never previously married grooms and 47% of never previously married brides were under 30 years old at the time of the marriage.

There's never any talk about disestablishing the Church of England (in England - it's long since been disestablished in Wales). Only about 15% of people classed themselves as Anglican in the last census, so it does seem anachronistic to have a state church, but it's just not an issue. There was some talk from the Labour Party at one time about abolishing the House of Lords, but that never seems to be mentioned any more either.

There was an anti Monarchist protest in London and were based at Trafalgar Square, estimated to be 1,000 -2,000 strong.
There was also one in Belfast today.

There was an anti Monarchist protest in London and were based at Trafalgar Square, estimated to be 1,000 -2,000 strong.

They said soemthing about that on ARD and that Police had arrested some of the people because o a new quet autocratic law

They said soemthing about that on ARD and that Police had arrested some of the people because o a new quet autocratic law

The leader and a dozen others were arrested earlier on Saturday morning.

The point was that protests were allowed but not shouting with amplifiers because of the reaction of animals passing by. That was a restriction and the protesters used megaphones so the police came into action.

The Office of National Statistics' data for opposite-sex marriages legally registered in England and Wales in 2019 shows that 36% of never previously married grooms and 47% of never previously married brides were under 30 years old at the time of the marriage.

That's pretty fascinating, but there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Trend. These may be the marriage rates for under 30 now, but it may not be so in the future. Twenty years ago, people were getting married in their early-mid 20s. Twenty years in the future, especially with increasing lifespan even within the long-lived BRF, many people may put off marriage until their late thirties early forties.

2. Non-romantic reasons. A lot of people, besides being in love, get married for financial stability (which HRH Prince George of Wales wouldn't need), higher social status (ditto), or to have children within wedlock (people are waiting later to have children, and there's a good chance that the trend will continue).

3. Working within the monarchy. Honestly, HRH Prince George of Wales will not just be marrying a person, he'll be marrying someone who will be expected to work alongside him to keep the BRF running smoothly. This job is going to take a lot of sacrifice on their part, so they're going to have to have the maturity and patience to accept that. HRH Prince George of Wales may not want to put his future partner through that when they're both still growing up, and said partner may want to experience their own career before giving it up to work for the BRF.

4. Necessity. For the most part, everyone who is working now will probably be still working by the time HRH Prince George of Wales is in his 20s. HRH The Duke of Kent and HRH Princess Alexandra will probably not be working by that time, but the prince himself and probably his sister will make up for that. It would give HRH Prince George of Wales the time to enjoy his romance without throwing his partner into the royal fold so soon.

There are no autocratic laws. There were concerns that protesters would throw paint - as someone from "Just Stop Oil" did recently at the World Snooker Championships- , breach safety barriers, chain themselves to railings, or frighten the horses and cause them to bolt. So a small number of people were arrested. There were a few hundred protesters, if that, compared to millions celebrating in London and across the country.

The Wales children are very popular already.

Last edited:
There are no "autocratic" laws. There were concerns that protesters would throw paint - as someone from "Just Stop Oil" did recently at the World Snooker Championships- , breach safety barriers, chain themselves to railings, or frighten the horses and cause them to bolt. So a small number of people were arrested.
Apparently the law is very New and quiet strong. Apparently it was thougt that it would not be enforced today. But that is what was seid on german TV

Yes, new laws were passed. Some protests have got out of hand recently - so-called environmentalists have blocked roads and even stopped ambulances from getting through.

For the British Monarchy, I see indifference continuing and also grumbling about the cost of a monarchy. The women's magazines seem interested only in Princess Catherine. So, I don't know if there'll be a monarchy 50 years from now.

For the British Monarchy, I see indifference continuing and also grumbling about the cost of a monarchy. The women's magazines seem interested only in Princess Catherine. So, I don't know if there'll be a monarchy 50 years from now.

I am pretty sure the magazines will be interested (eventually) in Princess Charlotte and whoever marries Prince George.

That is the plus of being a family business: there is always a new generation that can replace the older one when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom