The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a lovely interview. I was also stressed out all last Sunday, over the Champions League places in my case, and it was quite nice to hear William say that he was too!

The Duke of Cambridge released a video to mark the new season of the Premier League which kicks of today,September 12th.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/cambr...lowing-the-abuse-of-black-footballers-155303/

The Duke of Cambridge, President of the Football Association, has sent out a series of tweets condemning racism in the sport following an avalanche of abuse towards black players on social media.
Posting from the Kensington Palace Twitter account, Prince William wrote: “Racist abuse – whether on the pitch, in the stands, or on social media – is despicable and it must stop now.
“We all have a responsibility to create an environment where such abuse is not tolerated, and those who choose to spread hate and division are held accountable for their actions. That responsibility extends to the platforms where so much of this activity now takes place.
“I commend all those players, supporters, clubs and organisations who continue to call out and condemn this abuse in the strongest terms. – W”
Prince William has been President of the FA, the governing body of English football, since May 2006.

In that time, he has constantly spoken out against racism and has backed high profile anti-discrimination campaigns such as Kick It Out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Prince William has vowed “enough is enough” as he plans to take on racist thugs who abuse footy players.
The Duke of Cambridge called an emergency meeting with figureheads and campaigners to devise plans on how a “multi agency partnership” can work together to stamp out sickening racism in football.
In his role as President of the Football Association, William urged the need for a “root and branch” assessment of how players and fans can deal with vile racists, after an explosion in “despicable” abuse aimed at the game’s biggest stars.
Aston Villa fanatic William believes more pressure needs to be put on the big tech giants to act instead of turning a blind eye.
William on Tuesday summoned Mark Bullingham, CEO of the FA, to discuss plans for an inquiry into the outbreak of racism in recent years, often through social media channels.

There've been several very nasty incidents recently. The FA and the clubs have condemned it, and the police have been called in, but there's not much anyone can do if the person behind the social media accounts posting the abuse can't be identified. Maybe they'll listen if Prince William and other big names all keep on at them.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/21/rugb...ake-over-from-harry-as-royal-patron-14121162/

Rugby League chiefs are said to be keen for Prince William to take over his brother’s role as the royal face of the sport. It comes after Prince Harry was stripped of his royal duties when he and his wife Meghan Markle stepped away from the family to pursue a more independent life. That means the Duke of Sussex will no longer be the patron of the Rugby Football League (RFL) and Rugby Football Union (RFU). The patronages have returned to the Queen temporarily but are set to be redistributed to other working royals – and William is thought to be favourite for the role. Rugby league’s bosses are hopeful for a big name to put the sport in the limelight ahead of this autumn’s World Cup, which is being hosted by the north of England from October. The Telegraph reports that the RFL is hoping that William will be given the role. A source close to senior figures at the RFL told the paper: ‘The World Cup is going to take place in the north of England, which is very significant at this time and very important for the royal household to acknowledge and get behind, particularly as it will be happening in many towns where major events are not usually held, such as St Helens, Doncaster and Hull. ‘The Duke of Sussex was a high profile figure who embraced the World Cup and we hope the next appointment will be a continuation of that.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/21/rugb...m-harry-as-royal-patron-14121162/?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

William would be a good fit for the Rugby League but not for England Rugby as he already is patron of Welsh Rugby.

The Duke of Cambridge, President, the Football Association, this morning held a Meeting with Ms Deborah Hewitt (Chairman) via telephone. 1/18/22.

Boos and jeers broke out from the assembled crowds when William was shaking players’ hands at the FA Cup Final. It appeared to come from Liverpool fans. They have made something of a tradition of booing the National Anthem at soccer events for many years, it is said largely due to perceptions of a coverup for the Hillsborough disaster by the establishment. It occurred here too. However, booing during a presentation is seemingly new.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-william-booed-fa-cup-final-b2079251.html

:previous: Thanks for sharing the information Curryong. However it was very sad to see that the B Positive Choir made up of members who have
Sickle Cell Anemia and sang "Abide With Me" were treated to the same disrespectful jeering as well. :sad:

"Prince William was booed by sections of the crowd as he appeared on the pitch before the FA Cup final at Wembley.

The jeering started when the Duke of Cambridge, who is the president of the Football Association, was introduced to fans during the pre-match BBC television coverage.

Fans also jeered during God Save The Queen and a rendition of Christian hymn Abide With Me."

That Christian hymn does not belong in a football stadium where the overwhelming majority is practically atheist, muslim, hindu, jew, humanist, whatever.

I'm not saying this just because I'm from Manchester, and Liverpool is our rival city. Half my family are from Liverpool.

The city of Liverpool is probably the most left-wing, anti-establishment part of England, During the 1980s, Liverpool city council was known as the Loony Left.

I don't think the issue was with Abide With Me: it's as much a football song as a hymn. No-one thinks of it as a Christian hymn: it's the Wembley song. The booing was against the Establishment, not the hymn.

What happened was disgraceful, and has been condemned by Members of Parliament from all parties.

Curryong and Alison H thank you for sharing the background information on "Abide With Me" and its association with the FA. So it's due to the song's link to the FA that it's considered to be part of the "Establishment " and therefore booed in Liverpool?

I'm not saying this just because I'm from Manchester, and Liverpool is our rival city. Half my family are from Liverpool.

The city of Liverpool is probably the most left-wing, anti-establishment part of England, During the 1980s, Liverpool city council was known as the Loony Left.

I don't think the issue was with Abide With Me: it's as much a football song as a hymn. No-one thinks of it as a Christian hymn: it's the Wembley song. The booing was against the Establishment, not the hymn.

What happened was disgraceful, and has been condemned by Members of Parliament from all parties.

You beat me to it! Thank you for giving the historical context.

Liverpool has an interesting history. Similar to Glasgow in so many ways - slave trade, famine driven large scale Irish settlement, bitter sectarianism, radical politics, grim deprivation & economic decline.

None of this surprises at all. It wasn't William they were booing, they were having a go at a representative of the rf. It wouldn't have mattered who'd turned up.

Many would boo The Queen herself if they got the chance.

Last edited:
LFC's fans/hooligans are one of the most "problematic" football fans in the world. And it's putting it mildly. I'm speaking as someone who's been following football and football leagues of 6 countries for over 2 decades since I was a kid (thanks to my uncle who played for the local team), felt in love with Owen's play which led me to LFC then became fan because of Gerard (there was time when I watched every LFC match (on TV) even though I'd have exam in the morning).

Booing national anthem is not really new thing for them, there's also time when they started to sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" to drown the national anthem. And sadly, that's not their worst behaviour. At this point, I'm not sure whether it's because they still hold a grudge over Hillsborough or it's sort of a requirements as LFC fans to behave that way.

To be fair - and I'm saying this as a Manchester United season ticket holder - there've been times when, in the glory days of the 1990s, some United fans wouldn't sing the National Anthem because of a feeling that the rest of the country was "ABU" - anyone but United.

And it's not just in England. I can remember some Napoli fans cheering for Argentina against Italy, because Maradona was at Napoli at the time, and there was a feeling that the Italian Establishment only represented the north and centre, not the south of the country.

It's just a small number of people, but it's very embarrassing when it's at a big event.

What it isn't is anything against William personally, and hopefully he knows that.

The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages

I detest booing. It’s just rude. I don’t care if it’s regarding a controversial sporting decision or to make a political point (ie- anti- establishment).

Anyway- this is just so inappropriate, rude, out of line and nasty. Not surprising though. Filters seem to have gone out the window everywhere.

I am glad to read that it has been across the board condemned by the MPs.

You beat me to it! Thank you for giving the historical context.

Liverpool has an interesting history. Similar to Glasgow in so many ways - slave trade, famine driven large scale Irish settlement, bitter sectarianism, radical politics, grim deprivation & economic decline.

None of this surprises at all. It wasn't William they were booing, they were having a go at a representative of the rf. It wouldn't have mattered who'd turned up.

Many would boo The Queen herself if they got the chance.

Thanks Durham for this important distinction. While immaterial to the behavior, it is important to note that there is a massive difference in terms of the messaging were it to be an individual person being booed as that person, as opposed to what was taking place here.

Thanks Durham for this important distinction. While immaterial to the behavior, it is important to note that there is a massive difference in terms of the messaging were it to be an individual person being booed as that person, as opposed to what was taking place here.

My pleasure.:flowers:

And Alison, who like me has Scouser relatives, made the same point as well upthread.

In a funny sort of way I don't mind this sort of behaviour. I think it keeps those at the top of the tree on their toes. Only being half serious but anyway....;)

I don't think for a minute that anyone was booing William personally. But it was disrespectful to him personally, as well as to the Establishment. He's the President of the Football Association, he takes a genuine interest in football, and he's also worked very hard with some famous footballing names to get young men to seek help for mental health issues.

A lot of it goes back to the mishandling of the Hillsborough disaster investigations by Margaret Thatcher's government, back in 1989. What happened was appalling, but it was down to politicians and senior figures in the judiciary and the police force, not the Royal Family; and most of the senior politicians from that time aren't even alive any more, never mind politically active.

From Wiki

Since the 1927 FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Cardiff City, the first and last verses of the hymn ‘Abide With Me’ are traditionally sung at the FA Cup Final about 15 minutes before the kick-off of the match.[23] It has also been sung prior to the kick-off at every Rugby League Challenge Cup Final since 1929.[24

As an American and a Catholic, I had no idea behind the history of this hymn. Only that I have always loved it.

I know it has been sung/performed/played at several
State funerals..Roosevelt...Eisenhower...I even remember hearing it at Mother Teresa's funeral.

But today I learned about it's association with British sports.;)

Last edited:

But you can´t "boo" your own national anthem, can you?
The problem for people against the monarchy is they have to chant a royal hymn if they want to sing their national anthem. In Britain, unlike in the scandinavian monarchies, royal and national anthem is one and the same.
To do such a thing in The Queen´s milestone jubilee year is disgraceful, indeed!

"Prince William was booed by sections of the crowd as he appeared on the pitch before the FA Cup final at Wembley.

The jeering started when the Duke of Cambridge, who is the president of the Football Association, was introduced to fans during the pre-match BBC television coverage.

Fans also jeered during God Save The Queen and a rendition of Christian hymn Abide With Me."

That Christian hymn does not belong in a football stadium where the overwhelming majority is practically atheist, muslim, hindu, jew, humanist, whatever.
Jeering at a christian hymn in a country that was staunchly christian for many hundreds of years (and whose head of state is a devoted christian) until to 20 or 30 years... What caused this, well I don´t want to go any further...
So what´s your conclusion? Is this christian hymn the problem or those individuals you name behaving that uncivilisized?! Is our society, again !, expected to retreat from our deeply rooted traditions and culture?
Hopefully the British will, thanks to Brexit, recover from this horrid development which is, on the continent, not only accepted, but literally desired!

Last edited:

But you can´t "boo" your own national anthem, can you?
The problem for people against the monarchy is they have to chant a royal hymn if they want to sing their national anthem. In Britain, unlike in the scandinavian monarchies, royal and national anthem is one and the same.
To do such a thing in The Queen´s milestone jubilee year is disgraceful, indeed!

Without wishing to wander too far afield, I believe the issue here is that many who are booing the national anthem won't consider it "their" national anthem. They would consider themselves Liverpudlians more so than British. It's my understanding that it is similar to those from Cornwall, for different reasons.

I hope those with a more personal understanding will correct me.

This is getting a bit off topic, but regional identity tends to be stronger in the areas furthest from London - except actually *in* London. I consider myself a Mancunian (someone from the city of Manchester), a Lancastrian (someone from the county of Lancashire), a Northerner, English and British ... in that order. It's still my national anthem, though - no-one's demanding independence for the North of England (yet).

But feelings over Hillsborough run deep. And, during Covid, there was very widespread anger over the fact that additional restrictions were placed on Northern England. Covid hit London first, because most international travellers go to London, and had spread there before lockdown. So there was some immunity there before lockdown. When lockdown restrictions were lifted, it spread rapidly in the North, where immunity had not had chance to develop, in densely-populated areas where most people could not work from home (financial etc jobs, which can be done remotely, are much more common in London), and tighter restrictions were imposed, which had a very bad effect on businesses. There was a strong feeling that the North and London were on opposite sides.

I do appreciate that this is off the point. I'm just trying to explain that the problem is not that anyone has anything against William personally or the Royal Family in general. And the booing was still disgraceful.

Thanks, Allison. With apologies for helping to take the conversation off topic, I hope this has been helpful for those not as familiar with these cultural aspects of the UK to understand the context of William's sporting patronages in a different way and perhaps also why his role is so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom