The Prince of Wales and Sporting Charities 2: Sep 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
218px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Prince_of_Wales.svg.png

Arms of The Prince of Wales

Welcome to The Prince of Wales and Sporting Patronages thread, Part 2

Commencing September 1st, 2022

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I must feel good to be the FA President and visit your favorite team.

It's wonderful to see William there, supporting the wonen's game.

I also attended the FA Cup Final, but my team lost, so I am not happy :-( . But it was lovely to see William.

My sympathies! As an Arsenal supporter, I'm quite sick of seeing City win things this year. :lol:

I was disappointed to hear that William won’t be taking the trip to see the Lionesses in the World Cup Final. I imagine if England had reached the final of the men’s competition the diary of engagements would have been cleared to enable him to attend. I see the Spanish Royal Family will be in attendance.

There is no diary to clear, they are on their summer break. He isn't going because its a long flight for a short time sources suggest. Others have pointed out there is heated politics on atm over a referendum issue so that may the/ or an another reason. TBH if it is because of the political situation in Australia that would be a better reason for royal sources o be leaking to the media IMO.

There is no diary to clear, they are on their summer break. He isn't going because its a long flight for a short time sources suggest. Others have pointed out there is heated politics on atm over a referendum issue so that may the/ or an another reason. TBH if it is because of the political situation in Australia that would be a better reason for royal sources o be leaking to the media IMO.

Or he is coming and for security reasons, we won't find out until he lands.

The referendum has nothing to do with the Commonwealth, i.e. not a vote on becoming a republic. If William is using the referendum as an issue to not come, then that is seriously pathetic.

Edit: I just read that he won't make the long journey to Australia for a "short stay" because he "has made tackling climate change one of his priorities and is believed to be concerned about the impact of such a journey." That is a very lame excuse, imho. And a kick in the teeth to Queen Letizia and her daughter for making the "long journey" here....

Last edited:
Or he is coming and for security reasons, we won't find out until he lands.

Edit: I just read that he won't make the long journey to Australia for a "short stay" because he "has made tackling climate change one of his priorities and is believed to be concerned about the impact of such a journey." That is a very lame excuse, imho. And a kick in the teeth to Queen Letizia and her daughter for making the "long journey" here....

I think it is quiet right that he does not make such a long flight only to attend a Football game. Would not be very sustainable. He could also support them otherwise perhaps with a Video Message and receive them after they have come back home.

Last edited:
The problem with that is it really sets him and his family up for failure in the future. In his role he has to travel around the world its a simple as that. I mean they took a private jet to the Jordanian royal wedding instead of scheduled flights as some of the other royals in attendance did so they can't have their cake and eat it.

Jumping on on the many British airways flights to Sydney wouldn't have been all that bad IMO and certainly no worse than flying regular helicopter flights to Anmer rather than taking the train or car.

Last edited:
The problem with that is it really sets him and his family up for failure in the future. In his role he has to travel around the world its a simple as that. I mean they took a private jet to the Jordanian royal wedding instead of scheduled flights as some of the other royals in attendance did so they can't have their cake and eat it.

Jumping on on the many British airways flights to Sydney wouldn't have been all that bad IMO and certainly no worse than flying regular helicopter flights to Anmer rather than taking the train or car.

:previous: This! Using climate change as an excuse is a double-edge sword. Just like world leaders, Royalty and zillionaires taking their private jets to Davos and other high-profile climate science conferences. Prince Harry was heavily criticised for doing the same.

The Lionesses are the first English team - male or female - to make a World Cup final in over five decades. That is a massive achievement! Yet the President that represents their association isn't going. Hmmmmm...

I'm another who feels William should be there in person.
A video just isn't the same.

The planes will be flying whether or not William is on one, so that excuse won't...fly?

I'm a big fan of William, but I think he's made the wrong call this time. There's quite a lot of upset in the country about him not going.

Can anyone link to the article(s) quoting those sources?

And if turns out they are overseas on holiday right now god help him, the press will be awful

Tatiana Maria - alot of posters here have commented about the political situation in Australia. A number of royal reporters have in their article / twitter / online said about it being a long flight for a short time and carbon footprint which suggests it is the line being used by KP.

Just to show this isn't an issue just of our own making on this board or within royal circle here are articles from pretty much every major UK newspaper

The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23540782/prince-william-rishi-sunak-miss-world-cup-final/
PRINCE William and Rishi Sunak have scored an own goal by deciding to skip the women’s World Cup final.

The Prince of Wales and the Prime Minister are to miss the match in Sydney, Australia, despite it being the Lionesses’ first appearance in the final.

It comes as Spain’s Queen Letizia revealed she would be heading Down Under.

Yesterday, Kensington Palace confirmed Prince William, who is president of the FA, would be roaring on the Lionesses from home.

William is believed to be against the 9,400-mile flight as he wants to keep down his carbon footprint.

Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12419815/Government-alcohol-laws-Lionesses-final.html

Foreign Secretary James Cleverly will make a late dash to Australia for the women's World Cup final as a sexism storm brews back home amid claims the Lionesses have been treated with 'disregard and disrespect'.

Anger has erupted over a shambolic scramble to allow pubs to serve booze before kick-off, snubs from Prince William and Rishi Sunak and no plans for a bank holiday should England triumph.

With barely 48 hours until the Lionesses line up against Spain, councils are facing a last-minute dash to relax restrictions so fans can enjoy a pint when the game starts at 11am. Most venues only have licences allowing them to sell alcohol from midday.

It comes as pressure also grew today on Prince William after Kensington Palace confirmed he would not be flying to Australia for the game.

The Prince of Wales, who is president of the Football Association and therefore responsible for promoting the game nationally and internationally, will instead be roaring on the Lionesses from home.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will also not be in attendance for Sunday's clash with Spain. His predecessor Boris Johnson was in the stands for the men's defeat to Italy at Euro 2020.

However, MailOnline understands Foreign Secretary James Cleverly will join Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer in making the trip to Sydney this weekend.

Former sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe led a chorus of criticism, as he told the Telegraph: 'I think the Prince of Wales should be there.

'I know it's a long way and I'm sure he has family commitments but this is a unique moment, it's the World Cup final.'

Labour MP Kate Osborne told Times Radio: 'We all know that if this was the men's final, Sunak, and the FA president, Prince William, would be in attendance no matter how long the flight to Australia is.'

Neither William nor Mr Sunak attended any of the England men's World Cup games in Qatar last winter.

However, the row was intensified when the Royal Spanish Football Federation confirmed that Queen Letizia and her 16-year-old daughter, Infanta Sofia, will be in Sydney, 'to show, once again, the royal household's support for national football'.

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham said yesterday that bosses had always known William would not be attending, but that he had been a 'brilliant supporter of the team throughout'.

The sexism row extended further after No 10 confirmed there were no plans for a bank holiday were Sarina Wiegman's side to lift the trophy - despite much discussion over potential celebrations for the men's team during the European Championships.

Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12419789/Prince-William-World-Cup-final-Queen-Letizia.html

The row over Prince William's absence from this weekend's Women's World Cup final deepened today as a former sports minister said the royal should 'be there'.

Kensington Palace confirmed earlier this week that the Prince of Wales, who is president of the Football Association and therefore responsible for promoting the game nationally and internationally, would not be making the trip Down Under.

He will instead be roaring on the Lionesses - who are representing England in its first World Cup final since 1966 - from home, as will Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, who will also not be in attendance for Sunday's clash with Spain.

The Times
https://archive.ph/CNMU7

The Prince of Wales is facing calls to cut short his holiday and attend the Women’s World Cup final in Australia on Sunday, after it was announced that his Spanish royal counterparts would be there.

As president of the Football Association (FA), the governing body of English football, the heir to the throne is responsible for promoting the game nationally and internationally at all levels.

However, after England’s 3-1 victory over Australia on Wednesday, Kensington Palace said that the prince, 41, would not attend Stadium Australia in Sydney and instead planned to watch the match against Spain on television in the UK.

Daily Telegraph
https://archive.ph/whuRL

The Prince of Wales has come under pressure to attend the Women’s World Cup final after the Queen of Spain confirmed she would be there.

The Prince, 41, president of the Football Association (FA), has opted not to break away from his holidays to cheer on the Lionesses in Sydney and will instead watch Sunday’s historic match on television.

By contrast, his Spanish counterpart Queen Letizia, 50, has confirmed she will make the journey with Princess Sofia, her 16-year-old daughter, to cheer on the national team.

Spain’s Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) said the Queen would fly out to watch the match in the Accor Stadium “to show, once again, the royal household’s support for national football”.

Their presence in the stands will only serve to highlight the lack of British royalty.

The Mirror
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/kate-william-under-pressure-queen-30731154

Prince William and the Princess of Wales have been shown up by Spain's Queen Letizia, who has confirmed she will be attending the Lioness's World Cup final clash, according to one commentator.

The beloved Spanish monarch will head out on a day-long, 9,400-mile trip to Sydney, Australia later this week so she and her daughter, Infanta Sofia, can cheer on the Spanish women's team while the Wales family keeps their feet planted firmly on UK ground.

Supporters cheering on the womens' team from home, like the Wales's, won't be able to get in a cheery mood for the start of the match as many pubs aren't licensed to sell booze before 11am. The Liberal Democrats and pubs had been asking for a relaxation to the rules ahead of the bout, which ministers shot down.

The Government has also confirmed it has no plans to offer an extra bank holiday day should the Lionesses scoop the win, despite the Labour leader calling for Westminster to show its support for the momentous occasion.

As the Lionesses take aim on extending their victories beyond Europe, Kensington Palace confirmed Kate and Will are staying at home - even though Prince William is the President of the Football Association. In recent years, the royals have pledged to not take long haul flights for short trips due to its effect on the environment, but one commentator says the family's decision to stay put was an "own goal".

Last edited:
I wouldn't fly to Australia from Europe for a 90 minute football game either . If the game was somewhere in Europe sure or even the east coast of the USA, but Australia ? No way.

Well, Queen Letizia of Spain seems to think it’s worthwhile to make the trip to cheer her fellow countrywomen on in a World Cup Final. And we in Australia don’t live on Mars, just the southern hemisphere.

Because it's too far so it's not worthy? Sorry but it is the most non sensible excuse.

Tatiana Maria - alot of posters here have commented about the political situation in Australia. A number of royal reporters have in their article / twitter / online said about it being a long flight for a short time and carbon footprint which suggests it is the line being used by KP.

Just to show this isn't an issue just of our own making on this board or within royal circle here are articles from pretty much every major UK newspaper

Thank you for posting and quoting the sources. As you alluded to, it is useful to know that the anonymous palace briefing about climate considerations appears to have been independently reported by multiple mainstream media outlets, which gives it more credibility than (for example) if it had originated from only one report on twitter.

The sources you linked are also more informative for those of us who have not been following the media discussion. For example, after reading only the board discussion in the event thread, I had the impression that the Prince of Wales's decision not to attend was completely expected and uncontroversial, but it is now clear that is not the case, given that the media reports quote politicians and celebrities expressing disappointment and comparing it to treatment of men's competitions.

(...)
Daily Telegraph
https://archive.ph/whuRL

(...)

I'm interested on this part:
(...)

Mark Bullingham, chief executive of the FA, said it was known the Prince would not be able to attend because of logistical constraints.

“We always knew that he couldn’t,” said Mr Bullingham.

“He came to see the team and wished them well before they left. He sent various messages of support and he was really upfront that, even if we made the final, he unfortunately couldn’t make it. It just sadly wasn’t to be.

“I know he’s committed to the Lionesses, as he is to the England men as well. He came to see them before they flew and was explicit in the fact he couldn’t fly.”

(...)

I'm wondering what he meant by "logistical constraints". Is it simply the long haul flight?

So there was no plan for him to go from the start and he told the team upfront before they left. Did William say it during that engagement in June? If yes, I wonder why it wasn't reported back then that he had no plan to go at all.

I believe that for royal visits to Canada, there is a convention that neither the monarch nor the heir apparent can visit except on the advice of the government (unlike other members of the royal family, who will go on informal working visits). If Australia has the same view of things (or if the Palace does), that could be an impediment to arranging a visit on behalf of a British team. Furthermore, I think I remember reading around the time of the Jordanian wedding that he will no longer travel commercially for security reasons.

Last edited:
So England is being represented by two Secretary of States which is pathetic. This is just the kind of occasion the Royal Family are expected to attend.
However, William is now in a no win situation. Were he to go, there would definitely be a clamour from members of the environmental organisations he supports, to resign from his post. His carbon footprint will be continually flagged up in the future. How can you effectively represent your country if you can’t travel to such occasions?

I think as the royal patron he should be there to show his support.

Back
Top Bottom