The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate is already criticized by some for not working enough and being viewed as lazy; whenever she goes out shopping she is criticized by the same people as having no goals, purpose etc. I can only imagine the vitriol she would receive if she dared to spend money on all new clothes. Plus I would hate to see her or any Princess constantly wearing female business suits, since when has that been the norm? They are royals, not Hilary Clinton.
I was thinking more along the lines of CP Mary and Letizia, not Hilary Clinton, though they are much more working royals than Catherine is yet, and almost ten years older. Diana also wore a great many colorful suits if memory serves. It doesn't have to be dark or boring. What's the old expression, "start as you mean to go on."

Aren't we all so terribly terribly discreet. Puleeze, Katherine is not close to revealing the royal knickers!!! This, IMO, is merely an excuse to criticize. Actually, I think Katherine should be wearing her skirts below mid-calf, shoes ... no higher than two inches, hair done up in a knot at the back of her head with no make up. Then that would satisfy "some" people and then others would carry on about how drab, boring and old fashioned she looked.

What's a girl do do? :)

What a "girl" is to do is: get control of your clothing.

------------------------------
Her Majesty is barely 5'3" and Kate is 5'10, or so I have read; at the very least, she is quite tall. Unlike The Queen, Catherine does not need to worry about wearing bright colors "in order to be seen." She will always be seen, no matter what she wears. And last year in Canada and the US, she did wear a brighter colour palette, but then it was summer. Many smartly dressed women wear darker colours in cooler weather. A couple of readers termed her shooties "cheap." They are Aquitalia and are NOT cheap.

Price has nothing to do with cheap looking. Her shooties, and Victoria's and Letizia's and Maxima's shooties are all cheap looking. This isn't just a Kate thing.

Last edited:
Susanna Wynne said:
Her Majesty is barely 5'3" and Kate is 5'10, or so I have read; at the very least, she is quite tall. Unlike The Queen, Catherine does not need to worry about wearing bright colors "in order to be seen." She will always be seen, no matter what she wears. And last year in Canada and the US, she did wear a brighter colour palette, but then it was summer. Many smartly dressed women wear darker colours in cooler weather. A couple of readers termed her shooties "cheap." They are Aquitalia and are NOT cheap.

Nothing she wears is cheap.

Jenafran said:
Nothing she wears is cheap.

Actually this coat dress was on sale, even I could afford it if I wanted and I'm a student. But something can look cheap and cost a thousand pounds.

Aren't we all so terribly terribly discreet. Puleeze, Katherine is not close to revealing the royal knickers!!! This, IMO, is merely an excuse to criticise. Actually, I think Katherine should be wearing her skirts below mid-calf, shoes ... no higher than two inches, hair done up in a knot at the back of her head with no make up. Then that would satisfy "some" people and then others would carry on about how drab, boring and old fashioned she looked.

What's a girl do do? :)
Each of us is entitled their own opinion on what Catherine wears. After all, that is what this thread is about. Resorting to petty, mean-spirited personal attacks is, I believe, against forum rules.

I have yet to see anyone who is using this thread to criticise Catherine, merely Catherine's fashion choices. I have no negative thoughts or issues with Catherine, after all, I do not know her, but I do not like many of her fashion choices. The fashion and style she used in her last two daytime engagements IMO did not flatter her. That is my opinion and, I believe I am entitled to it.

Each of us is entitled their own opinion on what Catherine wears. After all, that is what this thread is about. Resorting to petty, mean-spirited personal attacks is, I believe, against forum rules.

I have yet to see anyone who is using this thread to criticise Catherine, merely Catherine's fashion choices. I have no negative thoughts or issues with Catherine, after all, I do not know her, but I do not like many of her fashion choices. The fashion and style she used in her last two daytime engagements IMO did not flatter her. That is my opinion and, I believe I am entitled to it.

Marg, I didn't read anything in Princess of Durham's post, which you quoted, that was in any way was mean spirited or a personal attack on any posters. She was simply venting her frustration at how critical people are about Catherine.

I've said it before, it is always the same people doing the complaining. I have learned to just tune them out when it comes to this thread. Nothing she wears will ever be good enough.
Not only are Kate's shoes not cheap, but they are more young and relatable than the standard high heel. I have seen those shoes on students, professors, celebrities, and doctors(not on call though).
Does anyone think she looks like a nicely dressed elementary school teacher?

Last edited:
She was simply venting her frustration at how critical people are about Catherine.
Ah, that would be how critical people are of Catherine's fashion choices wouldn't it? See how easy to slip into the personal aspect.

Princess of Durham alluded to negative fashion comments being an excuse to criticise. However, she is merely one of many who take that tack and I do not want to bicker. Surely there is room for everyone's opinion of Catherine's her fashion choices.

"Fashion is what wears oneself: what is unfashionable is what other people wear"
As with so many things, Oscar Wilde was right about this as well.

Ah, that would be how critical people are of Catherine's fashion choices wouldn't it? See how easy to slip into the personal aspect.

Princess of Durham alluded to negative fashion comments being an excuse to criticise. However, she is merely one of many who take that tack and I do not want to bicker. Surely there is room for everyone's opinion of Catherine's her fashion choices.

I guess our definition of "personal" is different.

:previous: Catherine's worth as a woman, as a human being, as a wife and part-time working member of the BRF, none of these are evaluated on this thread. Her personality, her beliefs, the way she comports herself in public, none of this is part of the dissection of her fashion choices.

Fashion is what she chooses to wear, and what we like a bit or a lot or dislike a bit or intensely. If the hem is too short, too long or absolutely perfect, the colour too bleak or perfect for her colouring. Would her hair have been better up or down, is the hat a hit or a contender for Mad Hatter.

It is all about everyone's subjective personal opinions . . . . about her fashion!

Whatever!!! Yes, everyone has an opinion, as do I. :) SO, I shall give my opinion and anyone/everyone else may give theirsl. My commets are general, if you choose to look upon them as personal that is your choice.

Perhaps if posters did not state their own opinions as if they are facts then they may not appear as criticism. To label something as cheap is a criticism presented as a fact. If the same item is simply not to your liking because in your mind is looks cheap then state so. Fashion would not even be a subject if everyone had the same taste. But personal taste is just that...personal taste. Share it if you want but remember that it is still just your personal opinion, not fact.

Hey do the pix of Kate walking the dog recently not belong in this thread? I ask because I actually thought what she was wearing looked good, minus the cowboy hat because I still do not like cowboy attire. :D

She would use tax payer's money for her wardrobe only if she were touring in another country. In that case, she'd receive some funding from the Foreign Office.

If Kate were to buy a whole new wardrobe the yelling would be intolerable. Why does she need a new wardrobe, she is wasting tax payers money.

Call me sentimental, but I love this British country girl outfit- (its sooooo much better than the Canadian cow girl outfit from rhis summer.) English casual works much better on Kate, she looks HOT IMO! : )

Last edited:
I liked the colour of Kate's Christmas Day outfit; it looked good with her colouring.

Personally I feel that a lot of the skirts she favours are too short.

It's very Sloaney, particularly the hat. I don't like the coat but I'm sure it's very warm.

I love the outfit! Especially the hat

Yes, Kate excels in casual wear, IMO. She really capitalizes on her long, leggy look in skinny jeans and boots; she seems the epitome of a model advertising casual/sporty country wear. I like her Western hat but didn't care for the wellies for a walk in the park, although it may have been muddy in some places. I would like her suede boots with this coat.

Last edited:
Lumutqueen said:
Actually this coat dress was on sale, even I could afford it if I wanted and I'm a student. But something can look cheap and cost a thousand pounds.

I guess our definition of cheap is different, have a good day.

OMG! How weird am I! One of the reasons I like the look is because of the wellies! I truly am a freak. I think they make her legs look great.

OMG! How weird am I! One of the reasons I like the look is because of the wellies! I truly am a freak. I think they make her legs look great.

I think anytime Kate wears boots, especially her suede ones that I like to refer to as her go-to boots, they look great on her. They extend the line of her legs so that they appear endless, it seems. I just thought in this context, the wellies didn't quite fit the suede coat and cowboy hat. But I definitely like to see her kicking her heels up in boots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom