The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dress is bland as usual. I seem to remember Diana choosing bright colours to wear to a childrens hospital she was thinking of the children. Kate plays things so safe it is actually boring. Same shoes we have seen on everyone I imagine even the corgis own a pair by now and her hair is just as boring as the dress just not as neat. Kate needs to find a way to keep it off her face whether she likes it or not she is in the public eye. The Queen has her hair and her lipstick even her clothes chosen so the public can get a good look at her and see her from a distance. Kate needs to start learning these lessons now.

I realize the whole family does the eyeliner - at one point, my mom and her sisters all had the same hairstyle, too. Then, they changed.

I agree with you Windsorgirl - probably about 40 (maybe 50). But I wasn't speaking only of the length, but also of the overall condition (really healthy ends, pliable long hair - that's the fashion here). I also know that some British girls follow that healthy hair fashion (but they aren't university students, they are models - at least the ones I know about).

Kate probably hasn't had much time to think about such things (I'm guessing)

I think that the long hair is Kate's trademark in the same way that HM has had much the same hairstyle since the 50s. Once Kate gets into her 40s and sees how long straight hair can visually age a person, I think that she'll likely change it somewhat. My own experience and from what I've heard other women say is that men don't want their women to change their hair style because they think it'll change the woman.

Interesting, Mermaid.

BTW, I didn't mean the whole family wore the eyeliner! Mr. Middleton, for one, does not!

I was told that long hair visually aged a person. I'm in an occupation where I am able to ask numbers of people to guess the age of various people, including myself (I'm a teacher, and of a subject that permits such questions). It turns out that some people definitely view me as older with longer hair; however a far greater number views me as younger with the long hair.

I think this holds true for celebrities and stars, etc., as well. Brooke Burke turns 40 this year, I believe. I don't think her very long hair/extensions age her. Demi Moore is 49 next month - almost 50. But her long hair is very shiny, very healthy (it's never to early to get into that particular habit). I think Demi looks great with long hair. Many other people are able to wear long hair until their 50's - but it has to be more styled and coddled as time goes by. By style, I mean some use of product, etc., to control end (or, some layers).

Yes, perhaps that's the difference. If a person can afford to keep her hair in really good shape and have access to the best of skincare and make-up (to say nothing of cosmetic surgery), she can get away with long hair much longer. Perhaps it depends on the face shape as well. I tried growing my hair out into a chin-length bob recently, and I found that it made my gray hair (which normally looks like highlights) much more obvious and emphasized the shape of my rather long face. What's interesting is that Sophie Wessex has a very similar face shape to mine, and yet long hair doesn't age her. I felt five years younger and about 20 pounds lighter when I went back to a short cut!:) It'll certainly be interesting to see what Kate does with her hair in the next decade or so.

IDK, maybe Kate chooses these nondescript colors because she feels that dressing in a vivid tone would not put her in the background and upstage the event and her husband. Much of the time she wears cream and navy to official occasions because she might feel they're more suitable and business-like. She also needs to start experimenting more with accessories; a patterned scarf or long necklace on today's outfit would have added more interest. Perhaps as Kate matures more into her role, she'll become more confident of her color selections because as the future Princess of Wales and Queen, she can't be expected to always fade into the background and William is a confident enough man that he won't fear attention given to his wife. Kate's hair is definitely her crowning glory and one of her major assets; I'm sure William loves it long and maybe she keeps it that length for now because of its appeal to him. But it can certainly be styled in a manner to avoid her constantly restraining her hair flying in her face. If you look at Princess Mary of Denmark who's in her late 30's, I believe, she has long hair and styles it beautifully both in a casual and formal manner that's very flattering to her.

ETA - And I really would love to see a repeat of that gorgeous lavender dress Kate wore to the concert in Canada. She looked stunning!

Last edited:
If she is wearing the same style dress , hair and eye makeup in 2 years time I'll be bored to tears too
with all the comments about Catherine's eyeliner
can we let her have her way of dressing and how she uses eyeliner..it can be her signature look

I like that The Duchess of Cambridge eschews the "Working" look and shows up at her engagements looking chic and glamorous.

Her visit to The Royal Marsden NHS, for instance, is a good example about how her looking glamorous and sleek would be much more apt to brighten up a child's day than if she rolled in wearing trousers and a blouse...though she is young there is something to be said for looking a bit regal.

Royals, after all, are not just like the rest of us and that's why they're interesting.

semisquare said:
can we let her have her way of dressing and how she uses eyeliner..it can be her signature look

Of course she can do whatever she wants but we are discussing her look I haven't heard anyone say they like the heavy eyeliner. It's very cheap looking and very aging. She only needs to soften it buy a smudge

It is a boring colour and IMO does nothing for her, I don't like the eyeliner thing but I love William so I am prepared to put up with it. She must be okay for him to love her so ... but again she looks boring.

It is a very elegant dress and the cut and style really does suit her figure. Kate does seem to prefer these pale beige shades which most people would not be able to "pull off" at all. They do, however, form a good contrast against her rich dark hair. Last week we saw her in bright raspberry lace, so she is definitely not afraid of strong colour.

Kate looks good but this outfit is kind of a classic cocktail dress with an evening clutch, similar look to when meeting with Michelle Obama in Buckingham Palace etc. It looks very strange at a daytime event opening a children's cancer ward.

I see it very much as a day time dress and not an evening / cocktail dress. FYI, W&C met the Obama's in the day time - mid morning if I am not mistaken.

Of course she can do whatever she wants but we are discussing her look I haven't heard anyone say they like the heavy eyeliner. It's very cheap looking and very aging. She only needs to soften it buy a smudge

There are more people who don't make such a big deal of her eyeliner than those who do.

Skippy said:
There are more people who don't make such a big deal of her eyeliner than those who do.

Well as I don't know everyone all I can go by are my family friends work mates and clients and they ALL think the eyeliner is just too thick and hard. Every time there is a photo in a paper or mag there is a comment made about what a shame she doesn't tone it down a little.

I have seen a few other ladies wearing their eyeliner like Kate, I'm sure a few of them were royal; I will have to try and rediscover who exactly they were. I do believe Pippa does it as well. To me the eyeliner is just Kate's version of the smokey eye.

I'm laughing because in each thread people has an obsession.
- In D&DoC thread, obsession is Kate's eyeliner
- In Monaco, Pcs Caroline thread, the obsession is about surgery and botox made/not made/should be made by Caroline
- In Char Casiraghi thread, obsession is about Charlotte's studies and work.
- And in PCs Letizia thread, obsession is about Letizia's weight.
Funny all this. I love TRF!!!

I think that Catherine yesterday was really pretty. I like the dress:nice cut and sleeve lenght. The shoes are also fine, maybe I would have preferred another kind of purse. Really lovely hairstyle!!

The dress is very simple but has Kate is a very beautiful women and very elegant and thin the dress makes the whole difference!:flowers:Lovely I like her style very mucht!

The dress is very simple but has Kate is a very beautiful women and very elegant and thin the dress makes the whole difference!:flowers:Lovely I like her style very mucht!

I agree with you. Less is more

She is very elegant and beautiful.

biboquinhas said:

I don't think we should be encouraging people to be thin and " less is more" I have someone close to me nearly die due to this cruel disease there is already reports about Kate being a pin up girl for eating disorders

I don't think we should be encouraging people to be thin and " less is more" I have someone close to me nearly die due to this cruel disease there is already reports about Kate being a pin up girl for eating disorders

I'm sorry, when I say "less is more", I'm talking about elaborated dress/accessories/hairdos, not kilograms.

Nevertheless, allow me to say that in civilized world, more people have very serious health problems because of overweight, than of underweight!

Needless to stress that anorexia is a dramaticall disease, but I do not think Kate has anorexia, this is a story for the press. She is glowing from hapiness, beauty and health. Anorexic people (not thin, anorexic) have strong psychological disorder and very bad health.

windsorgirl said:
. Oh well, I'd rather see Catherine wearing anything than not see her at all!

I misread this as ''i'd rather see Catherine wearing nothing at all''......lol Think of those headlines!

fandesacs2003 said:
I'm sorry, when I say "less is more", I'm talking about elaborated dress/accessories/hairdos, not kilograms.

That is what the expression usually is referring to.....that's how I took your statement

Last edited:
Don't think I'll even try to explain about eating disorders to you. Not the time or place and it would be deleted as of topic anyway

Don't think I'll even try to explain about eating disorders to you. Not the time or place and it would be deleted as of topic anyway

You sound mightily offended with an "how dare you" attitude...

While the remark that fandesacs2003 was absolutely meant otherwise.

Skippy said:
You sound mightily offended with an "how dare you" attitude...

While the remark that fandesacs2003 was absolutely meant otherwise.

I wasn't offended and it wasn't a "how dare you" attitude. It was meant as a topic for another time and place. Truly people

I wasn't offended and it wasn't a "how dare you" attitude. It was meant as a topic for another time and place. Truly people

Whatever, fine, time to move on then.

I actually like this outfit, she looks wonderful. I think with the weather we've been having, a white outfit simple shoes is a good look. Her hair, I do not know how she can wear it down. I'm struggling and I have short hair. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Time to move on and to get back to the topic of this thread - fashion! Thanks!

Ok, the other ladies I have seen wearing eyeliner like Kate's:
Pippa
Carol
Princess Mary (not as thick)
Princess Maxima
Princess Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom