The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of photos without watermark
Royal Portraits Gallery

Gallery
kroning koning charles 3 2023 - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr7GIiYhBQq/

The Embassy of Sweden in London in Facebook
One picture, two kings
This is a special year both for King Charles III, who was crowned this weekend, and King Carl XVI Gustaf, who celebrates his Golden Jubilee after 50 years on the throne.
The ties of friendship are close between the Swedish and British Royal Families, as can be seen in this picture.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=609329764563456&set=a.301101662052936

Last edited by a moderator:
When you treat the kids seriously and give them responsibility with trust, they will take the ownership and treat it with same attitude. Well done to Jonny Ollie and the boys!

I totally agree with you and their contribution to the coronation was splendid!

Rory founded a charity with then Prince Charles - Turquoise Mountain. His wife, Shoshana now runs it. She was invited in her own right representing the charity and not as a plus one.

Yes, and I'm pleased to see Rory in his privy council uniform - very smart!

In every old newsreel the jewels look spec-ta-cu-lar. Also an old recording of Maria Callas singing an aria, it glitzes and glams all sides. The paradox is that jewels need "poor" and "one-sided" lighting to unfold their magic splendour. That is why jewels are worn for evenings, in great salons with chandeliers and candelabras.

Today's extremely good lighting gives the stones less change to break, refract and reflect the light: it is everywhere. That is also why even the carat bombs around Queen Camilla's neck looked "dead" while the same collier, under burning chandeliers, would just dazzle the onlooker.

Jewels are not made for broad daylight, LED lights and 8K televisions. I have not missed the jewels during daytime because I find wearing diadems at 10.00 o'clock in the morning ridiculous and a shame as only 10% of the beauty of these jewels will be visible: there is a time for jewels and that is when the evening approaches.

This is a very good point and it's a shame that we rarely see the jewels in their full splendour these days.

Typical of the BBC. They think that people in the UK aren't interested in foriegn royals.

That might be true. Speaking for myself, I'm a monarchist but I'm not very interested in foreign royals. If it weren't for the exposure on this forum, I wouldn't even know who they are.

the Coronation concert today and the big lunches. Wonder which royals might make an appearance for this

Typical of the BBC. They think that people in the UK aren't interested in foriegn royals.

I was also so disappointed that they didn’t show foreign royals. And they barely showed the Wales family arriving, but form what I’ve read there has been some commotion with that.

I think on simplistic terms. High Anglican is very Catholic. But it hasn’t evolved because mostly church services are low Anglican unless it obviously is communion.

Also the church still has anachronisms. I debated long and hard, as a Catholic, what advent wreath to get a Church of England school…going for red. Only to turn up at a service to see pink and purple. I said it to the reverend and he made a joke about some obvious catholic segment of prayer that was recently removed by the Anglican Bishops.

So really, for all I was told as a child they were so different. They aren’t. Anglican churches have more signing. Priests marry. But the more high Anglican you go. The more catholic, and old style catholic at that, that it gets.

And no lots of churches still have the choirs. They don’t want to destroy ancient buildings. Something the catholics have no problem with. But in actually the Catholic Church never had a problem destroying and rebuilding churches.

High Anglican compared with Catholic?Nah..Not these days...for 400 years,yes,not now...I t often looked holyer then thou...To much clergy of all sorts and Faiths...a few less would do nicely,just mention them so they are part of it all,not this,well,what should one call it...Very Disneyesqe

As to the music....Andrew Lloyd Webber is a master of musicals...Not Coronations...what a noise...

Also tremendous claps for the boy who started off the coronation with “Your Majesty, as children of the kingdom of God, we welcome you in the name of king of kings.”

Yeah, that had slipped my mind before when I listed my favourite bits. He was super.

Last edited:
Yes, and I'm pleased to see Rory in his privy council uniform - very smart!

Rory has always given me a typical British boarding school boy vibe. A cheeky dude.
When even in republican France these fabulous costumes can be worn (see picture) I fail to see why members of the venerable Privy Council, at a Coronation nota bene, can not wear similar tenue.

Last edited:
Rory has always given me a typical British boarding school boy vibe. A cheeky dude.
When even in republican France these fabulous costumes can be worn (see picture) I fail to see why members of the venerable Privy Council, at a Coronation nota bene, can not wear similar tenue.

If Rory did, then I suppose they all could have worn their coronation uniforms but not everyone enjoys dressing so elaborately. As an aside, did you know that when Rory was a student at Oxford University he had a summer job tutoring Princes William and Harry?

I was kind of disappointed by the absence of all the amazing jewelry we all could have seen today. But I enjoyed watching the coronation. I thought it was beautiful.

When I went to bed yesterday, I closed my eyes and imagined those front rows, where the British royal family and the other foreign royal families were seated, but with the ladies all wearing orders and diamond tiaras paired with matching earrings, necklaces and brooches, and I thought to myself what a sight it would have been. But them I started imagining some of the angry comments I would have read in the comments section of each and every YouTube channel or any other platform that carried the event live and it struck me why they thought it would have been bad optics in a time of economic crisis.

In the end, it is a bit silly because, whether the British (or Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Spanish, Norwegian, Belgian, etc.) royals wear their grand jewels or not, those jewels will still be there on the next day, as they have been for generations. It is not like they are being auctioned to end "world hunger", nor would wearing them or not have had any impact on the cost of the coronation, or on anyone's ability to pay their energy bills or buy their groceries. We just live in times of heightened political sensitivities.

EDIT: In fact, I would even retract some of what I said before. It probably cost the Princess of Wales much more to commission that floral headpiece she was wearing, which had to be custom-made for the coronation, than if she had worn Queen Mary's Lover's Knot tiara for example, which is available to her at no cost.

Last edited:
Will it be possible to watch the Coronation Concert from abroad, f. e. here in Germany?

I thought the Coronation went off wonderfully well, even without the tiaras. I like how the Royal women stood out in their robes. I thought Sophie's feathers headwear looked better than Catherine's pretend-tiara but that's just me. I like how the rest of the royal family female members stepped up their jewellery look, especially Eugenie and Zara. And of course Lady Sarah always knows when to bring out the big guns. I thought Lady Davina looked particularly nice, not that there was a clear picture of her, but i loved that colour on her with her fair hair.

Did anyone else get a flashback with that photo of the King and the Queen on the balcony looking at each other in profile, with that famous photo of them in the 1970s in front of a tree trunk looking at each other in profile. Sorry I can't link to those pictures, but I expect most of you will know which ones I mean.

All in all I thought it went off splendidly and I'm sure there was a gigantic sigh of relief when they all got back to the palace (where i would imagine those spouses who didn't get to go were sitting in a room looking at the spectacle on TV before the RF all had their lunch together.)

EDIT: In fact, I would even retract some of what I said before. It probably cost the Princess of Wales much more to commission that floral headpiece she was wearing, which had to be custom-made for the coronation, than if she had worn Queen Mary's Lover's Knot tiara for example, which is available to her at no cost.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!
It is ridiculous that they think it is somehow more cost effective to wear something newly commissioned than to wear an heirloom! It is absurd! I would ban the royals wearing something else than heirlooms or gifts given them in their capacity as Royals, when they represent the monarchy. At private events they could wear whatever they like.

What a breathtaking once historical event. Not once in my lifetime because my little sister was born at home on May 6 th . My parents heard about the Coronation on their radio.
Queen Elisabeth wanted to keep the Coronation traditions and Charles did. I saw the whole on BBC and saw the King's Emotion . inforgettable !
In my belgian newspaper they said that the whole world is looking this important event of the British Monarchy must be so proud But :.
The "young King" starts with the most difficult Reign , inflation more than 10 %, in two years the food costs in GB are more than 25 % , . Life becomes more and more difficult in Great Britain.
But King Charles III may be surprising.

I like your post ! But not about tiaras.
Could you imagine Princess Anne wearing this floral headpiece ??

When I went to bed yesterday, I closed my eyes and imagined those front rows, where the British royal family and the other foreign royal families were seated, but with the ladies all wearing orders and diamond tiaras paired with matching earrings, necklaces and brooches, and I thought to myself what a sight it would have been. But them I started imagining some of the angry comments I would have read in the comments section of each and every YouTube channel or any other platform that carried the event live and it struck me why they thought it would have been bad optics in a time of economic crisis.

In the end, it is a bit silly because, whether the British (or Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Spanish, Norwegian, Belgian, etc.) royals wear their grand jewels or not, those jewels will still be there on the next day, as they have been for generations. It is not like they are being auctioned to end "world hunger", nor would wearing them or not have had any impact on the cost of the coronation, or on anyone's ability to pay their energy bills or buy their groceries. We just live in times of heightened political sensitivities.

EDIT: In fact, I would even retract some of what I said before. It probably cost the Princess of Wales much more to commission that floral headpiece she was wearing, which had to be custom-made for the coronation, than if she had worn Queen Mary's Lover's Knot tiara for example, which is available to her at no cost.

In every old newsreel the jewels look spec-ta-cu-lar. Also an old recording of Maria Callas singing an aria, it glitzes and glams all sides. The paradox is that jewels need "poor" and "one-sided" lighting to unfold their magic splendour. That is why jewels are worn for evenings, in great salons with chandeliers and candelabras.

Today's extremely good lighting gives the stones less change to break, refract and reflect the light: it is everywhere. That is also why even the carat bombs around Queen Camilla's neck looked "dead" while the same collier, under burning chandeliers, would just dazzle the onlooker.

Jewels are not made for broad daylight, LED lights and 8K televisions. I have not missed the jewels during daytime because I find wearing diadems at 10.00 o'clock in the morning ridiculous and a shame as only 10% of the beauty of these jewels will be visible: there is a time for jewels and that is when the evening approaches.

That is why there is a pretty standard formal day dresscode with ladies in long, with hats and gentlemen in jacquet or uniforms. The British hosts have (for royal guests) modified this dresscode to ladies in normal dresses but gentlemen still in jacquet (still some could not be bothered, like King Abdullah of Jordan).

All by all an eclectic Coronation, with Rory Stewart wearing the venerable uniform of a Privy Councillor but Penny Mordaunt ditching said uniform for a dress to her liking. Musicians in white tie, Bryn Terfel in black shirt, a gospel choir in shiny polyester white. All was possible.

Absolutely wonderful post ~ thank you!

A historical moment... maybe it was just me, but King Charles seemed to me to be quite bored and not very "majestic" especially during the important parts (oath). I'm interested in how you felt about it?

I thought he was utmost serene and so now and then nervous.

A historical moment... maybe it was just me, but King Charles seemed to me to be quite bored and not very "majestic" especially during the important parts (oath). I'm interested in how you felt about it?

I think he was overwhelmed. I'm glad he got through it.

And I think that 317-carat diamond on his head sparkled just fine in the daylight.

How do you deduce that? What do you mean by majestic?

Perhaps it is the cyber company I keep, but if tiaras were worn at the coronation, the complaints would not be about the ostentation, rather it would be about how dare the cameras not constantly pan to the tiara wearers so that viewers can see all that bling coming together in one location.

I like a good tiara event but I don't know, I don't feel deprived here.* I know that technically it was not a tiara, but Kate and Charlotte's headpieces satisfied me. But even when I look at archival footage of coronations, which is only 2 coronations - George VI and Elizabeth II, the tiaras are not memorable. What is memorable about head ornamentation, beyond the monarchs themselves, are the coronets worn by royal dukes, and also the coronets worn by Elizabeth and Margaret at George VI's coronation which was not replicated at Elizabeth II's.

* To me I think the Scandinavians are who I look to for hosting events where I get to see tiaras from various royal houses on display.

I felt that he was intensely focused on what he was doing and what was coming next. He was also probably trying to control his emotions, hence the blank expressions sometimes. His mother used to be the same sometimes: looking blank at occasions when she was concentrating hard or holding back tears.

How do you deduce that? What do you mean by majestic?

My personal impressions:

• The King looked a bit frail in the regalia. That is understandable as he is a 74-year-old man.
  • He also looked clearly overwhelmed (emotionally speaking, that is) and a bit nervous/anxious to get everything right.
  • His voice was a bit muffled, but I have noticed that this is his natural voice nowadays. It contrasts with Queen Elizabeth II's pitch and intonation we all got accostumed to.
  • Queen Camilla at times looked like she wanted to get over with the whole thing as quickly as possible, but once she was crowned and sat at the chair closer to the congregation where more people could see her, she had a distinct expression of joy on her face. That is not a criticism, but it is understandable that she would feel that way especially given her life story. I suppose there was a sense of relief too that added to the joy.
  • The King, on the other hand, had an expression all along that the Crown was a burden on him. Curiously that has become a trait of British royals specifically if we are to believe what Prince Harry tells about himself and his father and brother.
  • The person who looked more radiant than anyone else in the Abbey was actually Catherine. William was a bit grumpy too and his homage to his father , albeit probably sincere, felt strange. He gives me the vibe that he thinks those coronation rites are nonsense and old-fashioned.

Again, those are purely personal impressions, so I may be completely off.

Last edited:
Perhaps it is the cyber company I keep, but if tiaras were worn at the coronation, the complaints would not be about the ostentation, rather it would be about how dare the cameras not constantly pan to the tiara wearers so that viewers can see all that bling coming together in one location.

I like a good tiara event but I don't know, I don't feel deprived here.* I know that technically it was not a tiara, but Kate and Charlotte's headpieces satisfied me. But even when I look at archival footage of coronations, which is only 2 coronations - George VI and Elizabeth II, the tiaras are not memorable. What is memorable about head ornamentation, beyond the monarchs themselves, are the coronets worn by royal dukes, and also the coronets worn by Elizabeth and Margaret at George VI's coronation which was not replicated at Elizabeth II's.

* To me I think the Scandinavians are who I look to for hosting events where I get to see tiaras from various royal houses on display.

Diadems were out of place anyway. These are really not made for 10.00 o'clock in the morning, right after breakfast. At no any Court diadems are worn during daytime (the Scandinavian weddings which are diadem events start in the late afternoon advancing into a banquet or ball).

As I stated earlier in this thread: even the carat bombs around Queen Camilla's neck looked "dead". These very same diamonds in the evening, breaking, refracting and reflecting the lights of candles, unfold a magic splendour and do never stop to dazzle the onlooker.

Almost always when you see royal brides waving outside during daytime, the diamonds have little sparkle. So now and then the sun is ideally positioned and when the bride is moving (like the Duchess of Sussex in a horsedrawn landau) suddenly beams radiance from the diamonds because sunrays were succesfully refracted by the countless facets.

I did not miss the diadems at all. For me the Abbey was sparse, the balcony was "as usual" (no difference with the trooping) and as a Dutchman I am used to colour schemes and floral arrangements. I would have upgraded that balcony. I would have placed amazing colourful flower arrangements to upgrade that spartan looking pergola outside, with not even a carpet at all. But qua dresscode, that there were no diadems, I can live with that. Diadems while the slice of bread with Nutella is still digesting? Hm no...

I only now noticed that Queen Maxima was wearing diamonds. It's due to the colour of her outfit, partly, but they wouldn't have sparkled anyway. Daylight is not good for gems.

Diadems were out of place anyway. These are really not made for 10.00 o'clock in the morning, right after breakfast. At no any Court diadems are worn during daytime (the Scandinavian weddings which are diadem events start in the late afternoon advancing into a banquet or ball).

As I stated earlier in this thread: even the carat bombs around Queen Camilla's neck looked "dead". These very same diamonds in the evening, breaking, refracting and reflecting the lights of candles, unfold a magic splendour and do never stop to dazzle the onlooker.

Almost always when you see royal brides waving outside during daytime, the diamonds have little sparkle. So now and then the sun is ideally positioned and when the bride is moving (like the Duchess of Sussex in a horsedrawn landau) suddenly beams radiance from the diamonds because sunrays were succesfully refracted by the countless facets.

I did not miss the diadems at all. For me the Abbey was sparse, the balcony was "as usual" (no difference with the trooping) and as a Dutchman I am used to colour schemes and floral arrangements. I would have upgraded that balcony. I would have placed amazing colourful flower arrangements to upgrade that spartan looking pergola outside, with not even a carpet at all. But qua dresscode, that there were no diadems, I can live with that. Diadems while the slice of bread with Nutella is still digesting? Hm no...

The clip I am linking below is not about Queen Elizabeth II's coronation, but I don't see how anyone can see footage of 1953 like here and here and not say that the sparkling was mesmerizing.

I hope the official photos won't take too long anymore - I've been waiting for them all day.

I wish someone would send out a Tweet or so to a newspaper editor, don't they have some information as when to expect?
They are probably embargoed, but even that would be nice to know.

Lilyflo, thanks and Monaco Royal Fan too, for the snippet of Prince Richard Duke of Gloucester turning around to Princess Beatrice.

You NAILED IT Lilyflo, he certainly was chiding Beatrice, with a simple but purposeful glance to knock off chit chat. And how does She tellingly respond ? With a dismissive and arrogant smirk back at him. I watched it a few times and that is apparent. After she smirks, her smile drops completely. She didn't like being called out.

Very disappointed in her response, I guess it shows the apple doesn't fall to far from the York tree. Entitlement and no sense of shame, she didn't have to respond that way AT ALL.

Last edited:
Seeing and reading about the Coronation ritual helps me to understand better why Elizabeth II refused to abdicate. It's more than just a ceremony.

I predict it will be the same for Charles. He will never abdicate(assuming he retains all his faculties).

Back
Top Bottom