Succession issues in the Royal Family of Jordan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do You Think King Hussein Made the "Right" Succession Decision?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Too Soon to Judge

• Don't Know/Don't Care

• Total voters
sommone said:
Now, it's clearer since KH asked that Ali be named CP if and when Hassan took the thrown. That makes better sense because I had a hard time trying to figure out how in the world was it possible for Ali to be CP if PH was CP.

exactly , what we need is a proof and am gonna find it :rolleyes:

i found this interveiw with KA when he was a CP

"That is what binds us together, Palestinians and Bedouins and everyone else," he said, sitting next to his half brother, the 23-year-old Prince Ali, who was once seen as his father's most likely successor.
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:sqUuMmJHpQ8J:home1.gte.net/eskandar/jordanmonarchy.html+prince+Ali+of+jordan+crown+prince&hl=ar

Last edited:
lil Monkey said:
Maybe we have been toough wrong stuff!! LOL
But I remember I took at school that when PA was born KH named him CP (but it was for a very short time),then he put Hassan,I also remember hearing that prince Hassan loved Ali so much and he promised to make him CP (that's before Rashid was Born!)
Anyway,cuz I am getting too old my memory isn't helping much,so dunno,LOL

you have a good memory , as we notice only Jordanians knew that, everybody else read about Jordan from out side

i have this paper .... which say that PA was the CP after PHassan for a while, removing him was CONCERTED from people who hated QA and her children

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Jordan/jordan3.htm

3) Lieutenant-Colonel H.R.H. Prince 'Ali bin al-Hussein, KCVO (6.11.2001). b. at Amman, 23rd December 1975 (s/o Queen 'Aliya), educ. Papplewick Prep. Sch., Ascot; Islamic Scientific Coll., Amman; Salisbury Sch. and Deerfield Acad., Massachusetts; RMA, Sandhurst; Princeton Univ., New Jersey, and Columbia Univ., Washington DC, USA. Cmsnd. 2nd Lieut. Jordan Arab Army Special Forces. 9/12/1994, Chief Cdr. the King's Special Security Force 2001. Appointed Deputy Crown Prince, 8th June 1978. Hon. Presdt. Al-Jeel Al-Jadeed Club (to promote Circassian culture in Jordan), Jordan Football Assoc., Prince 'Ali Club for the Deaf and Mute, and Royal Jordanian Paratroopers Club. Rcvd: GC of the Orders of Hussein ibn 'Ali, and the Star of Jordan, Dannebrog of Denmark (27.4.1998), Norwegian Order of Merit (4.4.2000), Polar Star of Sweden (7.10.2003), etc. m. at Paris, France, 23rd April 2004 (nikah) and at the Bait al-Barakat Palace, Amman, 7th September 2004 (zifaf), H.R.H. Princess Rym (b. 1969), educ. Univ. of Paris (MLit, Dip. Advanced Studies in Political Science), and Columbia Univ., New York, sometime employee of the BBC French Service, UPI, Dubai TV and Bloomberg TV, news correspondent for CNN since 1998, daughter of H.E. Dr Lakhdar Brahimi, sometime Algerian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Assist. Sec-Gen of the UN and UN Special Representative to Haiti, South Africa, Zaire, Yemen, Liberia, Afghanistan, and Iraq, by his wife, a lady of Croatian descent. He has issue, one daughter:
  • a) H.R.H. Princess Jalila bint 'Ali. b. at Amman, 16th September 2005.

and this one too ..

In June 1978, Hussein designated Prince Ali (b. 1975), his son from his third wife (Queen Alia, who was killed in a helicopter crash in February 1977) to succeed Hasan as heir apparent on the latter's succession to the throne.

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache....html+prince+Ali+of+jordan+crown+prince&hl=ar

Last edited:
suria said:
OMG finally some one read what i read so its not only me :eek:

which grade this was , fifth or the fourth BTW dose this mean that your age is 23 :p

it would my pleasure that you love Ali that much , he deserves nothing but love

BTW welcome to the thread:)
oh dose your signature talks about PA :rolleyes:

no its not only you i am 25 and i am sure of this data , i think it was the fourth grade ... it was studied for a while

sure i mean PA who else could be :rolleyes:

iloveabujalilah said:
you have a good memory , as we notice only Jordanians knew that, everybody else read about Jordan from out side

i have this paper .... which say that PA was the CP after PHassan for a while, removing him was CONCERTED from people who hated QA and her children

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Jordan/jordan3.htm

3) Lieutenant-Colonel H.R.H. Prince 'Ali bin al-Hussein, KCVO (6.11.2001). b. at Amman, 23rd December 1975 (s/o Queen 'Aliya), educ. Papplewick Prep. Sch., Ascot; Islamic Scientific Coll., Amman; Salisbury Sch. and Deerfield Acad., Massachusetts; RMA, Sandhurst; Princeton Univ., New Jersey, and Columbia Univ., Washington DC, USA. Cmsnd. 2nd Lieut. Jordan Arab Army Special Forces. 9/12/1994, Chief Cdr. the King's Special Security Force 2001. Appointed Deputy Crown Prince, 8th June 1978. Hon. Presdt. Al-Jeel Al-Jadeed Club (to promote Circassian culture in Jordan), Jordan Football Assoc., Prince 'Ali Club for the Deaf and Mute, and Royal Jordanian Paratroopers Club. Rcvd: GC of the Orders of Hussein ibn 'Ali, and the Star of Jordan, Dannebrog of Denmark (27.4.1998), Norwegian Order of Merit (4.4.2000), Polar Star of Sweden (7.10.2003), etc. m. at Paris, France, 23rd April 2004 (nikah) and at the Bait al-Barakat Palace, Amman, 7th September 2004 (zifaf), H.R.H. Princess Rym (b. 1969), educ. Univ. of Paris (MLit, Dip. Advanced Studies in Political Science), and Columbia Univ., New York, sometime employee of the BBC French Service, UPI, Dubai TV and Bloomberg TV, news correspondent for CNN since 1998, daughter of H.E. Dr Lakhdar Brahimi, sometime Algerian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Assist. Sec-Gen of the UN and UN Special Representative to Haiti, South Africa, Zaire, Yemen, Liberia, Afghanistan, and Iraq, by his wife, a lady of Croatian descent. He has issue, one daughter:
  • a) H.R.H. Princess Jalila bint 'Ali. b. at Amman, 16th September 2005.
and this one too ..

In June 1978, Hussein designated Prince Ali (b. 1975), his son from his third wife (Queen Alia, who was killed in a helicopter crash in February 1977) to succeed Hasan as heir apparent on the latter's succession to the throne.

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:l20pzDOkiNYJ:www.country-data.com/cgi-bin/query/r-7444.html+prince+Ali+of+jordan+crown+prince&hl=ar

thank you for your efforts , this is what i was talking about , PA once was the CP after PHassan , i wish if i can find teh paper we took in the school

iloveabujalilah said:
no its not only you i am 25 and i am sure of this data , i think it was the fourth grade ... it was studied for a while

sure i mean PA who else could be :rolleyes:

you got his eyes right , his pure look , i hope that Jalilah is looking like him or at least that she has his eyes :rolleyes:

iloveabujalilah said:
Appointed Deputy Crown Prince, 8th June 1978.

the key word here is Deputy. Which means he was a representative/deputy of the Crown Prince Hassan, not the Crown prince himself. You can't have two CPs at the same time.

Definition of deputy:
an assistant with power to act when his superior is absent
a person appointed to represent or act on behalf of others
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:deputy

It means Ali could act on authority of CP Hassan in his absence. Just like a Deputy Prime Minister acts on behalf of the Prime Minister.

Exactly. He was designated as a successor to the Crown Prince Hassan. He wasn't the CP himself. The two things are quite different. Just like Prince Charles, as Prince of Wales is Queen Elizabeth's heir. Prince William is Charles' successor but he's not the Prince of Wales himself.

Prince Ali would have become CP if King Hussein had died in 1978 and Prince Hassan had become King.
But we know this didnt happen because King Hussein went on to marry Noor and Hamzah became his favourite.

Last edited:
closesttoheaven said:
I never read anything about that - in no biography about king hussein - there was always PH called the crown prince ...

is it maybe that jordanian people wanted prince ali the CP because he is full arab - and so there are rumours - that he was a crown prince?
(sorry but I have to add that I think thats a very bad reason to want him become king - because arab is arab - even when only one parent is arab - that doesnt say anything about the persons character)

I dun get it ...

iam from egypt and we all know that prince ali was a crown prince. and i read this in alot of books and u can find it in arabtimes

closesttoheaven said:
I dun wanna say - that you or me are wrong... i dunno!
but if there was another crown prince - for example prince ali - thats an important historical fact - and such facts are mentioned anywhere ...
and you can find nothing about it - not in any encyclopedia - nor wikipedia - or any biography.
and historians dun miss such an important fact?!
that makes it unbelievable to me!

there is a famous writer mohamed hasanian hekal wrote this fact that prince ali was a crown prince in a book its name is kalaam fe elseyasa. i dunno how 2 translate its name كلام في السياسة

marmarina said:
there is a famous writer mohamed hasanian hekal wrote this fact that prince ali was a crown prince in a book its name is kalaam fe elseyasa. i dunno how 2 translate its name كلام في السياسة

read the posts...!
a famous writer is no journalist and no historian.
there is no historical document where prince ali is the crown prince.
maybe it helps more - if you read KH last letter to his brother PH.
there he wrote PH was crown prince about 30 years...there was not time for prince ali being the crownprince.

marmarina said:

Talks of politics!
my dad has this book bak in Jordan but i never thought of reading it...

closesttoheaven said:
read the posts...!
there he wrote PH was crown prince about 30 years...there was not time for prince ali being the crownprince.

He is a historian too and a journalist,he's the most famous historian and journalist in the arab world ;)

closesttoheaven said:
read the posts...!

he is a historian man , and met all the Arabs leaders , he knows more than you can imagine , and his books are documented..

PAli as a possible crown prince?

My question goes to the PAli experts here. Did you hear anything about a possible nomination of Prince Ali as crown prince? The Jerusalem Post published an article on the king’s new interest in the West Bank by a Jordanian journalist (living in the States) suggesting this:

“Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, the king's half-brother (who is also half-Palestinian) is considered the closest member of the royal family to the monarch.
THE POSITION of crown prince remains vacant. And while the palace maintains absolute secrecy over such matters, many suspect that al-Hussein may soon be appointed. He has a down-to-earth demeanor and an interests in sports (he is chairman of the Football Association). He's also managed to become popular among the refugee population and at their sports clubs in Jordan.
Several months ago the prince attended a private dinner at the White House along with the king, President George W. Bush and the First Lady, and members of Congress.
The following day the president described Ali bin al-Hussein in an official White House statement as Jordan's crown prince. There was no official response from the Jordanian embassy in Washington or further clarification from the White House about the reasons behind the president's description.”

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1145961305278&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer

Veram98 said:
My question goes to the PAli experts here. Did you hear anything about a possible nomination of Prince Ali as crown prince? The Jerusalem Post published an article on the king’s new interest in the West Bank by a Jordanian journalist (living in the States) suggesting this:

“Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, the king's half-brother (who is also half-Palestinian) is considered the closest member of the royal family to the monarch.
THE POSITION of crown prince remains vacant. And while the palace maintains absolute secrecy over such matters, many suspect that al-Hussein may soon be appointed. He has a down-to-earth demeanor and an interests in sports (he is chairman of the Football Association). He's also managed to become popular among the refugee population and at their sports clubs in Jordan.
Several months ago the prince attended a private dinner at the White House along with the king, President George W. Bush and the First Lady, and members of Congress.
The following day the president described Ali bin al-Hussein in an official White House statement as Jordan's crown prince. There was no official response from the Jordanian embassy in Washington or further clarification from the White House about the reasons behind the president's description.”

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1145961305278&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter

thats possible that he favours ali - the answer why is written in the article you posted:

The king has begun to realize that regional dynamics in Israel and the PA territories are providing all the reasons to revive his father's legitimate political interests in the West Bank - all without any loud debate of the subject. So while Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and his government talk about drawing Israel's final borders before 2010, it remains to be seen whether the map of the West Bank and Jordan - demographically and politically - might also be redrawn in the near future.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1145961305278&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter

It is very interesting to hear about the plans KA has for his brother PAli, I wonder how these two formed such a close bond? KA has many brothers.

This is the very first time I have heard anything of making P Ali cp. Many just assumed Hussein would be named cp in about 6 or 7 years. Hmm...who knows.

With Princesse Rym behind Prince Ali. He could do a wonderful job for Jordan. I like hem very much and I believe in hem.
But I think if Prince Ali would be a crown Prince than is this temporarely. I mean for a few years. Queen Rania would like to see her son Prince Hussein as a king of Jordan and not Prince Ali.

Joumana said:
With Princesse Rym behind Prince Ali. He could do a wonderful job for Jordan. I like hem very much and I believe in hem.
But I think if Prince Ali would be a crown Prince than is this temporarely. I mean for a few years. Queen Rania would like to see her son Prince Hussein as a king of Jordan and not Prince Ali.
I quite agree!
I think also that Hussein become following Crown Prince.

Joumana said:

I also think, that it would be temporarily – for the period of time PHussein (who is also half-Palestinian) is under age.

Ba3d 3omren 6aweel inshallah , i would think Prince Ali would be a great king and would continue the good work our king - may allah bless him and grant him health and long age- is doing ..and yes Reem would be a good queen too..but as all expect here in Jordan ..it is only years for Prince Hussein to come of age and be prounounced a crown prince ..no one knows ..he might not be intrested in being so...

It is only normal of any mother to want her son to be a crown prince and by constituotion it it his right ..the oldest son of the king ..king Abdulla was before him ...unless he is not intrested ...

Many good candidates" and handsome too":D ..P. Ali, Prince Hamza & Hashem too...

I guess that god will grant it to the one who deserves it more ...it is not an easy position ...a great responcibility ..ruling a country like Jordan in an area like the Middle East is quite a heavy burden
:confused:...

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Abdullah named Ali Crown Prince. Out of all of his brothers I've always thought Feisal to be the most capable to fulfil such a role.

If Ali is named CP, I expect it will be a temporary position.

• Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, the king's half-brother (who is also half-Palestinian) is considered the closest member of the royal family to the monarch. THE POSITION of crown prince remains vacant. And while the palace maintains absolute secrecy over such matters, many suspect that al-Hussein may soon be appointed. He has a down-to-earth demeanor and an interests in sports (he is chairman of the Football Association). He's also managed to become popular among the refugee population and at their sports clubs in Jordan.

Very true, this is what i was trying to say many times, that PA has a huge popularity among youth, and loved by all Jordanian from Palestinian origins, he is so down to earth. And i believe that he will do a great job if he named as CP.

KA would have many advantages by naming PA, as he is full Arabic knows how to deal with Jordanian and has influence among many people here in Jordan.

i hope to here someday this happy news on TV

Good luck for PAli.

comments are more interesting than the article here.

The Peacebuilding Prince | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

the conversation not conversion comment doesn't seem to apply to the ex christian who married his daughter. inconsistent.

didn't realize the former c.p. named his own son in law a minister while kh was out of the country dying a slow death. said son in law would've been all of early 30s at the time and scarcely qualified.

Why Hassan, the regent, is not crown prince anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cassy, you are not quite right when you accuse Prince Hassan on neoptism regarding the appointment of a son in law as Minister of Information in 1999. Young though he may have been at the time ( 35) the man had been HM King Hussein's Press Secretary, Director of the Jordan Information Bureau in the UK and then Director of Radio and Television. All the Ministers in that final Cabinet of the late King's reign were finally appointed by him, as has been clearly shown in several recent publications on that period, such as " The Lion of Jordan" and "Hussein Pere et Fils". Prince Hassan is far from the corridors of power today, but two of his sons in law are Ministers again. Could it be that they are actually qualified for the jobs they hold ?

it's the family business. they are related through marriage to the king. the early-career jobs were also attained through connections, not the kind of experience that would be required in a more competitive situation.

I just discovered something interesting, something that makes me want to question a whole lot of what I read, even in the mainstream press. All three of the following succession-era excerpts appeared in Newsweek articles either authored or co-authored by a writer named Joseph Contreras.

according to this book by jordanian diplomat marwan muasher, it's because the first article was planted by the hassan camp:

Amazon.com: The Arab Center: The Promise of Moderation: Marwan Muasher: Books

hte book dedicates an entire chapter to the king's final months and the sacking of hassan. muasher doesn't have much good to say about the hassans. he claims king hussein telegraphed in private statements and to the jordanian media, cnn, and in his wye summit statement that he would be changing the succession, so that lays waste to the theories that the sacking was due to an altered mental state on his death bed or that it was a total surprise to anyone when it happened. muasher cites sarvath-related intrigues and goings on, hassan-related egotism and overstepping, and king hussein's distress about what was happening in jordan under his brother's regency during his absence, especially with the military, as causes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, Cassy.

Funnily enough I've heard similar stories about Sarvath and Hassan, not from Jordanian sources, but from Pakistani individuals.

Prince Hamza is like totally into his career, he loves the Army, and I am sure he enjoys the freedom he has now. Where as if he were still a crown Prince, his mobility would be very limited. May Allah protect His Majesty Abu Hussein , HRHPrince Hassan, and HRH Prince Hamza, Ameen. King Abdullah and Prince Hamza has never cut short in there generosity, and I hope that Allah blesses them there family, Ameen.

thats good to heard about prince hamzah, but i wondered why we see so less of him since the change made?

Back
Top Bottom