State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The coverage on both SKY and BBC has been the worst imaginable .. endlessly biased and disrespectful of people who are GUESTS in our country..

Both had large models of the 'Baby Balloon' in their studios..
Whoever made that particular editorial decision needs a serious talking to [especially at the Beeb, which purports to be impartial]...

I do not make that difference. I also have an objection of Máxima sitting next to the King when he addresses Parliament as she has nothing to do there. You will not see Mrs Trump or Madame Macron next to the President but rather on the tribune, where they belong.

For me a monarchy is a system in which the head of state is "delivered" by hereditary succession. But for the rest: this is 2019. In most monarchies you see the tendence to be more limiting.

But my point is: we can not blame the one head of state bringing his family along as the other head of state does exactly the same. I would like to say something negative about the Trumps, but we can hardly criticize them when a grandson of the head of state, or a second cousin, attends official functions during the same event.

The traditional place for a Queen was always by the side next to the King, just as the place of a Prince consort is next to his wife. I don`t see any reason ever to change that. If you want to change all of what is basic to monarchy then why keep it at all?
No, monarchy is all about traditions and the dignified representation of state the way we are used to since many 100s of years - and that´s just the way it should be.

Is this any different from invitees to Meghan's wedding posting pics all over social media.

More like Eugenie’s wedding and reception where we got play by plays.

Personally I don’t see the point of the adult Trump children being there. But then again it’s typical of that family.

The visit seems to be going very well so far......much better than this thread. I haven't had to put this many users on ignore just to get to factual reporting since Marklegate. Disappointing, really.

The visit is going very well. Nothing but professionalism on both sides.

The traditional place for a Queen was always by the side next to the King, just as the place of a Prince consort is next to his wife. I don`t see any reason ever to change that. If you want to change all of what is basic to monarchy then why keep it at all?
No, monarchy is all about traditions and the dignified representation of state the way we are used to since many 100s of years - and that´s just the way it should be.

Oh let him rand..He has those tantrums since decades...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mrs Obama and the girls were on vacation and visited London in 2009. The girls were 10 and 8. They had a 3 hour tour of BP and got to meet the Queen. As part of the visit, QEII arranged for the girls to have a ride in a carriage on the grounds. Apparently, it was on Sasha's 8th birthday. Later, during some visit, President Obama publicly thanked the Queen for being so gracious to Michelle and the girls.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...riend-in-britains-queen-idUSTRE55D0AB20090614

So not part of a State Visit at all! A private invitation and visit. Totally different circumstances. They didn't bring the girls along as part of the State Visit.

So not part of a State Visit at all! A private invitation and visit. Totally different circumstances. They didn't bring the girls along as part of the State Visit.

No ofcourse not!It is not done to say the very least...but then hey...whom are we talking about..:whistling:

Meghans guests did it as well I'm afraid.

Some of Meghan's guests posted pictures of themselves in their hotel room or on their way to the events showing off their outfits. I have yet to see pics of her Guests in St George Hall, or at the reception at Frogmore House, or on Windsor Castle ground unlike for the two following weddings. But it is Meghan, I am used to the narrative, please carry on

Yes, Trump is narcissistic and often rude, and he also makes erratic comments. However, that doesn’t change the fact the coverage of hiim, especially in the US media, is unbalanced and biased.

Meanwhile, it appears that Prince Harry, following on his father’s precedent during the Chinese state visit, will have lunch with the POTUS, but will not attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace. If that is confirmed, it will be another unfortunate example of personal politics interfering with royal duties.

Why is it a problem if Harry who has only attended very few state banquets is not attending tonight? There are many others left...

I want to say that George W Bush attended at least a few State Visits when his father was President. I'm not sure if he or any of his siblings and their spouses traveled abroad for any State Visits. I also want to say that I'm not sure how fair it is to judge Trump for his adult children accompanying he and Melania for this particular trip when the last time we had a President with adult children in their 30s or older was thirty years ago - that's a lot of stale data by which to make a comparison.

Well, why would it be appropriate for (all adult) children of a non-heriditary head of state to accompany their parent? If the head of state had no spouse and said child is basically filling in for the missing spouse, it makes sense, or if said child also has a formal role in government (which in itself is problematic imo) but in all other cases, it's just a misuse of the office of head of state.

Last edited by a moderator:
The State Banquet is running behind schedule.

I don't know, maybe because it has been the mantra over the last couple of years, even bypassing the rightful heir and his consort in the UK media and the social media and even here. Future King and Queen Consort here, different paths there, constitutional restrictions here, pecking order there, senior royals here, future Prince of Wales there. You can't have your cookie and eat too. Step up to the plate since the the buck should according to "the conventional wisdom" stop at their feet

How are they not stepping up? They are attending the state banquet as they have started doing not that long ago. What else do you expect? Surely not that they replacd Charles and Camilla?

Could it have started already , but we don’t have images / pictures yet ?

Nope, there are cameras covering the entrance walkway. It was due to start at 8:30pm and we know Trump has arrived.

It’s starting now. All the ladies in white.

Really? No need frankly. :whistling:

Guests at Eugenie and Ella's weddings took pictures in the intimate receptions. The Sussexes' guests were far more discreet. They showed off their outfits in the hotel room.

The US 1st Lady is wearing white evening gloves!

Melania is in Dior Haute Couture this evening.

Back
Top Bottom