State visit from Spain to the Netherlands: 16-18 April, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Such a pity that -unlike in Belgium- they decided against a proper cleaning of the Palace walls. It always looks gloomy and dirty.
The weather does seem to cooporate.
The problem is that within a few years, the wall are black again. There is too much trafic to keep it clean. And very expensive to keep recleaning it.

I think there is more traffic in front of the Brussels palace than there is around Dam square. But the material of the stone may be different of course, some will be more sensitive then others.

--
Pss Amalia has arrived, a video:

The communication team of the Spanish Kings is very good., I do´t think we have had this amount of clips and information available on other state visits.

--
According to Josine Evers, the designer Claes Iversen just arrived at the palace. Perhaps that is an indication that at least one of the dresses is by him.

Princess Beatrix is wearing her Golden Fleece Collar (without a Sash)

It seems Queen Letizia received a different order than her husband. I guess she will receive the Dutch Lion during a future SV to Spain.

Although I understand the protocol it feels a bit odd that the two octogenarians are standing.

King WA should keep whatever hairdresser he has been using on this visit, the hair looks much better than the usual mess.

---
During the hand shakes the Queen of Spain remained seated.

Last edited:
All the royal ladies looks wonderful tonight. One of Letizia's best looks in recent state visits. Best of the night to Maxima! In the most recent shot of the Receiving Line, it looks as if Letizia is sitting down. Am I correct?

It seems Queen Letizia received a different order than her husband. I guess she will receive the Dutch Lion during a future SV to Spain.

Although I understand the protocol it feels a bit odd that the two octogenarians are standing.

King WA should keep whatever hairdresser he has been using on this visit, the hair looks much better than the usual mess.

---

I'm surprised and a bit concerned that Queen Letizia is sitting. I hope that she is well.

It's indeed concerning that Queen Letizia sat down. In the group picture her posture was also a bit strange. I wonder whether this might be related to the very light program of the queens during this visit.

She seemed fine this morning. Maybe her ankles? Hope it's nothing big. Should have called me, I would carry her 🫡

All of the royal ladies look great today. Queen Máxima is simply stunning. Only that the neckline of her gown is screaming for a necklace. And the blue suits Queen Letizia really wonderful

Queen Letizia suffers from a problem in the metatarsals of both feet and a Morton's neuroma in her left foot, which is why she now wears lower shoes. She was probably in more pain today and couldn't stand the 45 minutes standing.

not sure what letizia was thinking when she chose that day hat! but the tiara she picked is rather stunning and makes up for it.
very strange to see letizia sitting indeed.
maxima and amalia are looking wonderful as usual.

---

It seems Letizia is wearing the Order of the Golden Lion of the House of Nassau, because its star center is blue.

It seems Letizia is wearing the Order of the Golden Lion of the House of Nassau, because its star center is blue.
And yes, she is wearing the Order of the Golden Lion of the House of Nassau instead the Order of the Netherlands Lion. I identified its blue edge.
https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/PPE240417104-klein-700x1060.jpg
Credit: Patrick van Katwijk

Last edited:
Just saw the speeches. The tables in seems to be very high. Queen Letizia was almost disappearing behind it and even the 2 Kings looked small seating at it.

Strange that Queen Letizia did not get the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands as that is usually the case.
She got an little upgrade. Previously she had the Order of the Crown, now the Order of the Golden Lion of the House of Nassau and next time she should have the Order of the Netherlands Lion.

She got an little upgrade. Previously she had the Order of the Crown, now the Order of the Golden Lion of the House of Nassau and next time she should have the Order of the Netherlands Lion.
But still odd. Queen Mary of Denmark got directly the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and then she was not yet Queen.

Why is Queen Letizia sitting down?
The reason was that, due to the Morton's neuroma she suffers from, she suffers from great pain in his feet that prevents him from continuing as planned.
The Queen has suffered chronic metatarsalgia for years and this led to her neuroma.

Felipe VI said: "Our parliamentary monarchies advance together towards this future at the hands of two young women of their generation, Princess Amalia and Princess Leonor, deeply committed to their nation and its people". :love:

But still odd. Queen Mary of Denmark got directly the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and then she was not yet Queen.

It is not unusual for a country to match the order-granting practices of another country during a state visit.

Over the years I have noticed that Spain typically only grants the highest membership to its most important civilian order to a head of state, not the spouse. In fact, I don't believe Letizia is even a collar grade member of the Order of Charless III (solid blue sash). She should be a regular member (blue and white sash).

You can see in the photo that the two kings and former reigning queen have the highest membership of the highest civilian order of the other's country while the queen consorts have the next highest order or lower membership of the highest order. Other family members have a lower order.

The reason was that, due to the Morton's neuroma she suffers from, she suffers from great pain in his feet that prevents him from continuing as planned.
The Queen has suffered chronic metatarsalgia for years and this led to her neuroma.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that she was suffer from chronic metatarsalgia. I guess thats why she don't wear super high heels anymore.

Princess Beatrix is wearing her Golden Fleece Collar (without a Sash)
It is weird that King Willem-Alexander wore the. Collar of the Order of Carlos IIII with the sash of the same order as the protocol is normally to wear either the collar or the sash, but not both together.

It is OK for King Felipe VI to wear the collar of Order of the Golden Fleece with the sash and grand cross of the order of the Netherlands Lion, but it is nonetheless unusual as Spanish monarchs would normally wear instead the necklace insignia of the Golden Fleece with the sash of a foreign order.

Queen Letizia suffers from a problem in the metatarsals of both feet and a Morton's neuroma in her left foot, which is why she now wears lower shoes. She was probably in more pain today and couldn't stand the 45 minutes standing.
Thank you for the information lula. I'm sorry that she's experiencing this type of discomfort.

Was there a communication from the royal house about this? In a day and age where so much attention is given to medical privacy I am wondering how is this information known? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom