Death and Funeral of HE Don Fernando Gómez-Acebo; March 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Don Fernando Gómez-Acebo, cousin of King Felipe VI, dies at 49
211px-Luis_G%C3%B3mez-Acebo%2C_Viscount_de_la_Torre_and_Duque_Consort_of_Badajoz.svg.png

Family sources confirm to Vanitatis, the sudden death of Fernando Gómez Acebo at the age of 49, who had been fighting health problems with his respiratory system for several months.

Last edited by a moderator:
What terrible news. He was only 49 years old. Her only son is still very young.

Last edited:
Fernando Gómez-Acebo, cousin of King Felipe VI, dies at 49

Family sources confirm to Vanitatis, the sudden death of Fernando Gómez Acebo at the age of 49, who had been fighting health problems with his respiratory system for several months.

Don Fernanda had a sad life , 2 Weddings and a Child. He was living at his Mother's home. Since she passsed away he must be devasted.

Funerary chapel in La Paz funeral home

Infanta Elena

Last edited:
Family and friends at Fernando Gómez-Acebo's Funerary chapel.

More photos and videos:

Last edited:
According to Semana magazine, King Felipe, along with Queen Sofía and Infanta Margarita, went to the Quirón University Hospital yesterday afternoon to visit Fernando before his death.

Nadia Halamandari, Fernando´s second wife (they had been separated for years but not officially divorced) and their son Nicolás.

Family And Friends Bid Farewell To Fernando Gomez-Acebo​

Last edited:
so sad that nothing could be done for him anymore.
a throw back in time, the family happy at the first wedding in 2004

Very sad news as he was so very young. Although, I must confess I always thought he looked like someone with chronic health problems.

It's sad his young son must now grow up without his father.

I guess there will be a formal funeral in the coming days, with most certainly the attendance of the Kings and the Emeritus Kings?

I guess there will be a formal funeral in the coming days, with most certainly the attendance of the Kings and the Emeritus Kings?
It is possible that the family will want to hold a memorial mass in a few weeks. But I hope the Royal Family will be present today or tomorrow at the funeral.

King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Queen Sofía with princess Irene and Duke and Duchess of Soria attend a funeral mass

Could someone give more informations about the 5 Children of the late Infanta Pilar ? Some divorced ?

Could someone give more informations about the 5 Children of the late Infanta Pilar ? Some divorced ?
-Simonetta is divorced and has 3 children, Luis Juan, Pablo and Maria de las Mercedes.
-Juan is separated and has a son named Nicolás.
-Bruno is still married and has 3 sons, Alejandro, Guillermo and Alvaro.
-Beltrán had two kids with his first wife, Luis Felipe and Laura, and has a son named Juan with his second wife.
The late Fernando was separated but not divorced from his second wife, and leaves behind a 7 year old boy named Nicolás.

Last edited:
-Simonetta is divorced and has 3 children.
-Juan is married and has a son.
-Bruno is still married and has 3 children.
-Beltrán had two kids with his first wife, and has a son with his second wife.
The late Fernando was separated but not divorced from his second wife, and leaves behind a 7 year old boy.
Juan indeed got married to the mother of his child. They have been separated (but not divorced it seems) since 2019.

Is there any indication that Bruno might no longer be married in the future (given your 'still')? So far, his seems the only stable marriage.

Fernando's son was born a week after his parents' marriage.

Juan indeed got married to the mother of his child. They have been separated (but not divorced it seems) since 2019.

Is there any indication that Bruno might no longer be married in the future (given your 'still')? So far, his seems the only stable marriage.

Fernando's son was born a week after his parents' marriage.
By "still married" I meant that he's the only one who hasn't separated/divorced at some point like all his siblings did.

I edited my post as Juan is indeed separated, but he has not divorced. Just like Fernando, and their sons have the same name also.

Burial of Fernando Gómez Acebo in the San Isidro cemetery (where his parents are buried)

Last edited:
I am surprised that Cristina was not seen around.
It has been said that she was traveling for work.

Fernando's death must have been unexpected and on the weekend, the family will probably organize a funeral in a church in Madrid in the coming days .

Thanks for the info! To lose a cousin around the same relatively young age, it makes you reflect on life I guess.

Burial of Fernando Gómez Acebo in the San Isidro cemetery (where his parents are buried)

Burials on Sundays. Nothing like this here. Sometimes on Saturdays but also quiet rare.

Burials on Sundays. Nothing like this here. Sometimes on Saturdays but also quiet rare.
In Spain it is strange that there are funeral masses on Sunday, but burials are more common, so that families do not have to extend the wake for so many days.

In Spain it is strange that there are funeral masses on Sunday, but burials are more common, so that families do not have to extend the wake for so many days.

Here the reason is that most burial grounds belong to the cities and towns and there the people who close the grave or work at the Crematoriums don't work on weekends. Nowadays the time between death and funeral is often about 2 weeks or longer (depening if it is a normal funeral or a Urn funeral). 30 years ago when my grandmothers died it was usually in a 4-5 days.

Very sad news ,Don Don Fernando Gomez-Acebo was only 49 years old
Some photos from the Funeral Chapel
PPE Agency

Very sad news ,Don Don Fernando Gomez-Acebo was only 49 years old
Some photos from the Funeral Chapel
PPE Agency
Simoneta and her daughter Maria de las Mercedes look especially distressed; and to see his young son (in his school uniform it seems) is also heart-breaking. His mother, Fernando's (separated) second wife, seems in shock.

Good to see that Fernando's first wife was also in attendance. While they have been divorced for over 10 years, it still must be hard to process that your former husband passed away at a relatively young age.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom