State visit from Spain to the Netherlands: 16-18 April, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the moment only the decorations awarded by the President of the Government have been published. The Order of Isabel the Catholic and the Order of Civil Merit, which other members of the Royal Family, the Court or the government could receive, depend on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and nothing has been published yet.

I wonder if the Princess of Orange will receive a Spanish Order?
If Amalia attends, she should be awarded with the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabel la Católica, as did with Crown Princess Victoria and then-Crown Prince Frederik.

Constantijn and Laurentien have no spanish orders yet and i'm not sure that they will get Isabela de Catholic as Carl Philip and Sofia of Sweden and Joachim and Marie in Denmark both didn't get them but a lower Order.
I think that Constantijn and Laurentien will receive the Order of Civil Merit.

Official program of Felipe and Letizia's State Visit to the Netherlands:

Wednesday April 17
Morning
Welcome ceremony

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima officially welcome the Spanish King and Queen on Dam Square in Amsterdam. After the delegations have been introduced, the Marine Band plays the national anthems of both countries. The inspection of the guard of honor will then take place.
Dutch authorities are then presented in the Royal Palace Amsterdam, after which a reception takes place. A private lunch will also take place.

Wreath laying
King Felipe and Queen Letizia lay a wreath at the National Monument on Dam Square.

Afternoon
Cruyff Foundation

In the afternoon, King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe will visit a sports afternoon organized by the Cruyff Foundation. Under the guidance of neighborhood sports coaches, children play football, basketball and kickboxing on a Cruyff Court. The Kings speak to children and coaches and attend a 6x6 football match of children with disabilities. The Cruyff Foundation is a Dutch-Spanish foundation whose mission is to give children with disabilities or from disadvantaged neighborhoods the space to develop through sports and games. There are more than 300 Cruyff Courts and more than 650 active Cruyff Foundation Coaches worldwide.

Green hydrogen corridor Bilbao – Amsterdam
King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe visit the port of Amsterdam and the Evos and Sunoco terminals. The Kings will enter into discussions with Dutch and Spanish companies about the development of a maritime hydrogen corridor between the port of Bilbao and the port of Amsterdam. The collaboration between the Port of Bilbao and the Port of Amsterdam, partly achieved through the joint efforts of the Dutch and Spanish governments, will be central. In June, King Willem-Alexander visited Spain in the context of various hydrogen projects.

Evening
State banquet

In the evening, the Royal Couple hosts a state banquet in the Royal Palace Amsterdam. King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe give a speech. Their Royal Highnesses the Princess of Orange, Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Princess Margriet of the Netherlands are also present during the state banquet.

Thursday April 18
Morning
Business Forum

On Thursday morning, King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe will visit a meeting for Spanish and Dutch companies in the cybersecurity and fintech sector in The Hague. The meeting focuses on economics, innovation and technology with the aim of promoting knowledge exchange and strengthening economic and business ties between the two countries. King Felipe gives a speech during the meeting.

Visit States General
King Felipe visits the States General in The Hague. He meets the chairman of the Senate, Mr J.A. Bruijn, and the chairman of the House of Representatives, Mr M. Bosma.

Mental health of young people
In the morning, Queen Máxima and Queen Letizia visit LAB6, a meeting place where activities from sports to culture are organized for and by young people between 12 and 23 years old in Amsterdam Nieuw-West. Discussions take place here with young people and organizations such as Ara Cora, El Mazouni Coaching and @ease about the importance of accessible walk-in facilities for the mental health of young people. Walk-in facilities offer young people a place where they feel welcome and where no one is alone when things go south. Queen Máxima and Queen Letizia will then receive a tour of LAB6 where they will be introduced to various initiatives for young people. Queen Máxima is honorary chairman of the MIND Us Foundation, a foundation committed to the mental health of young people.

Amsterdam Spanish Film Festival
Queen Máxima and Queen Letizia attend the celebration of the tenth anniversary of the Amsterdam Spanish Film Festival in the Royal Theater Tuschinski. This film festival aims to strengthen mutual cultural awareness through Spanish and Latin American cinema in the Netherlands. This year the Spanish Film Festival will take place from April 12 to 21 in Amsterdam, Amstelveen and Haarlem.

Afternoon
Government lunch

King Felipe is received by Deputy Prime Minister Jetten at the Binnenhof. A government lunch will take place in the presence of King Willem-Alexander. The lunch will focus, among other things, on the Spanish-Dutch bilateral relationship and European cooperation in the field of energy and climate. During lunch, Deputy Prime Minister Jetten and King Felipe will give a speech.

Clingendael/Elcano
In recent years, the Netherlands Institute for International Relations Clingendael and the Royal Institute Elcano have worked together to develop policy ideas from a Dutch and Spanish perspective on what a forward-looking agenda of the European Union would look like. This includes attention to economic and social resilience, innovation and openness. King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe will join a dialogue with researchers from Clingendael and Elcano in The Hague.

ESA ESTEC
King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe visit the European Space Research and Technology Center (ESTEC) in Noordwijk. ESTEC is the technological heart of the European Space Agency, of which the Netherlands and Spain are both co-founders. The importance of space travel as a strategic technology for topics such as climate and living environment and secure communication is growing worldwide. The Kings will receive a tour of the ESTEC test center and will discuss various ESA missions on which the Netherlands and Spain collaborate, such as the Ariane 6, the European satellite navigation system Galileo and measuring greenhouse gas emissions from space.

Evening
Counter performance

In the evening, King Felipe and Queen Letizia will offer the Royal Couple a reception at Museum STRAAT in Amsterdam. The Princess of Orange is also present. During the reception, the Royal Couples will open an exhibition of ten Spanish and Dutch muralists. The exhibition can be visited until June 2. After the reception, the Royal Couple will say goodbye to the Spanish King and Queen.

Looks like a full program for king Felipe and a rather light program for queen Letizia. Amalia will not only be present for the state banquet but also the next day for the counter performance. At the state banquet princesses Beatrix and Margriet will also join (I would expect Pieter as well if his wife is present).

It seems the prime minister is not present/available as the king will be received by Rob Jetten instead. His new partner is Argentinian, so he might speak some Spanish.

Nice that the princess of Orange will be attending two evening events. And odd that Constantijn and Laurentien will be absent completely.

Last edited:
Nice that the princess of Orange will be attending two evening events. And ofd that Constantijn and Laurentien will be absent completely.
Why won't Constantijn and Laurentien be present?

They are not listed in the official programme so I assume they will not be expected. As to why that is I don’t have a clue.

Nice that the princess of Orange will be attending two evening events. And ofd that Constantijn and Laurentien will be absent completely.
They don't seem to attend much state Banquets. From my head in can only tell that they attended at the belgian SV.

It seems the prime minister is not present/available as the king will be received by Rob Jetten instead. His new partner is Argentinian, so he might speak some Spanish.
Not being inconvenient, but is his new partner male or female?

Not being inconvenient, but is his new partner male or female?
His current partner is Nicolás Keenan. He previously was in an 8-year relationship with Sjoerd van Gils; according to them it was because of Rob Jetten's work commitments, they broke up about 2 years ago. It is no secret that he is gay.

Rob Jetten previously was the faction leader of the progressive-liberal party D66 (started by princesss Laurentien's father in 1966) in parliament and currently he is the Minister of Climate, D66 party leader, and first vice prime minister (after the previous first vice prime-minister of the same party resigned as minister of Finance a few months ago to take up a UN-role as Senior Humanitarian and Reconstruction Coordinator for Gaza) in the outgoing cabinet Rutte IV.

Last edited:
His current partner is Nicolás Keenan. He previously was in an 8-year relationship with Sjoerd van Gils; according to them it was because of Rob Jetten's work commitments, they broke up about 2 years ago. It is no secret that he is gay.

Rob Jetten previously was the faction leader of the progressive-liberal party D66 (started by princesss Laurentien's father in 1966) in parliament and currently he is the Minister of Climate, D66 party leader, and first vice prime minister (after the previous first vice prime-minister of the same party resigned as minister of Finance a few months ago to take up a UN-role as Senior Humanitarian and Reconstruction Coordinator for Gaza) in the outgoing cabinet Rutte IV.
Thank you!

Well, now everybody knows: Willem-Alexander and Maxima were awarded with the order of Carlos III, Beatrix should wear her Golden Fleece on its bow form, Margriet has the Order of Isabel la Católica. As heiress of the throne Amalia should receive this last Order, and Constantijn and Laurentien should be awarded with the Order of Civil Merit even being absents, at example of Joachim and Marie of Denmark, who received this order but didn't attend the banquet.

Constantijn and Laurentien have no spanish orders yet and i'm not sure that they will get Isabela de Catholic as Carl Philip and Sofia of Sweden and Joachim and Marie in Denmark both didn't get them but a lower Order.
Carl Philip, Sofia and Daniel got the Order of Civil Merit.

Wonderful that the Princess of Orange will be attending!

Looks like a full program for king Felipe and a rather light program for queen Letizia. Amalia will not only be present for the state banquet but also the next day for the counter performance. At the state banquet princesses Beatrix and Margriet will also join (I would expect Pieter as well if his wife is present).

Yes, I did note the quite light agenda for the two Queen's on both days.

Yes, I did note the quite light agenda for the two Queen's on both days.
Yes it is and hopefully the weather will be nice for the State Visit!

Royal Decree 374/2024, of April 9, by which the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabel the Catholic is awarded to Her Royal Highness Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands.

The grand cross of the order of Isabella the Catholic is the default honor for European heirs. I think only the former Prince of Wales (now King Charles III) was directly awarded the grand cross of the order of Carlos III on the occasion of the Spanish state visit to the UK in 1986. I don't know why he had that preferential treatment.

EDIT: Just as a correction, after checking it, it appears that CP Haakon of Norway was also directly awarded the order of Carlos III, but Willem-Alexander (as Prince of Orange), Philippe (as Duke of Brabant), CP Victoria of Sweden, Frederik (as CP of Denmark), and now Princess Amalia were all given the order of Isabella the Catholic instead.

Just as as a curiosity, if the native Dutch speakers here could kindly explain to me. In the above tweet, why did she write "dit vindt plaats" in the sentence "Prinses Amalia is bij het Staatsbezoek van Spanje aan Nederland aanwezig, dit vindt plaats op 17 en 18 april", rather than "dat vindt plaats [...]"? I would imagine that "dit" here is a relative pronoun referring to the neuter noun "(het) Staatsbezoek", which is why I would expect "dat" instead. Thanks in advance for any explanation.

Last edited:
Why isn't Alexia attending? She is now 18. Is this away at school?

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will arrive in the Netherlands for their state visit on the 16th.
The King and Queen will be accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation, José Manuel Albares.
Source: casareal.es

Why isn't Alexia attending? She is now 18. Is this away at school?
I think she is on a gap year? We haven't heard anything about her since the photo session before christmas. I don't think she will attend anytime soon. IIRC Friso and Constantijn never attended either when they were in their 20s (or late teens as is the case here).

King Felipe and Queen Letizia will travel on Tuesday the 16th. The official farewell at the Barajas airport will be in the afternoon and upon arriving in the Netherlands they will offer a reception to the Spanish community.

Well noticed, it seems that both afternoons the Queens have no engagements. I think this is highly irregular for both royals during state visits. Normally if there is no seperate program they tend to join the husbands. I wonder what was the reasoning.

Last edited:
Queen Máxima and Queen Letizia together attract a lot of media attention, especially in the Spanish-speaking press... if we add to that the fact that it is Amalia's debut on a state visit, it is likely that the Heads of State would be completely overshadowed.

In the Netherlands, Willem Alexander continues with the meetings to form a government and Felipe's last state visit to Denmark became a "circus" for the yellow press. Perhaps that is why they have sought to put the focus more on them, to give more institutional weight to the visit.

Back
Top Bottom