State visit from Spain to Denmark: November 6-8, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope we get pictures from inside. The Glyptotek is just gorgeous.

Fun fact: Daisy, Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Leonor, Princess of Asturias are the three only living female knights of the Spanish Order of the Golden Fleece

Last edited:
For the Spanish Order indeed, for the Austrian Order of the Golden Fleece , no Ladies.

More photos from the second day of the visit:

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...tizia-federico-mary-dinamarca-ofrenda-floral/

https://www.hola.com/moda/actualida...entes-esmeraldas-bolso-flores-dinamarca-look/

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...sita-a-un-hospital-de-letizia-y-mary_3769087/

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia have inaugurated, together with the Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, in the Glyptoteca, an exhibition about Sorolla and contemporary Spanish artists on the centenary of his death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of Queen Letizia, her style and elegance are usually a win for me. However, the Gala look in The State Banquet missed the mark for me.

The Tiara, just didn't work on her head, with her hair style, and dress. The gown and tiara just swamped her.
She is a slight woman, and the Tiara just overwhelmed her. Its looks like a Pageant Winner "trophy" from a Beauty Contest on her.

Which is sad. It is a beautiful, gorgeous and historic statement piece, but it either needs to be slightly "reworked", ( if even possible) as others have been. Or Letizia needs to wear a totally different hair style. She looked lovely at The UK State Dinner in 2017, in that Tiara and a more fitted gown.

But I still think it swamps her delicate frame and facial features. I guess I prefer another of Queen Ena's Tiaras, The Cartier Pearl and Diamond Tiara.
Oh well......

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Queen Letizia, her style and elegance are usually a win for me. However, the Gala look in The State Banquet missed the mark for me.

The Tiara, just didn't work on her head, with her hair style, and dress. The gown and tiara just swamped her.
She is a slight woman, and the Tiara just overwhelmed her. Its looks like a Pageant Winner "trophy" from a Beauty Contest on her.

Which is sad. It is a beautiful, gorgeous and historic statement piece, but it either needs to be slightly "reworked", ( if even possible) as others have been. Or Letizia needs to wear a totally different hair style. She looked lovely at The UK State Dinner in 2017, in that Tiara and a more fitted gown.

But I still think it swamps her delicate frame and facial features. I guess I prefer another of Queen Ena's Tiaras, The Cartier Pearl and Diamond Tiara.
Oh well......

Agree. The tiara was just too big for hair style and the style of that gown. It just overwhelmed her and was way out of proportion. She has worn it better in the past.

For some reason, I just get the sense that she doesn't work with a stylist who would have dressed her for each event. It looked like she went into her closet and threw a few things in a suitcase. JMHO

QM certainly seems like she is enjoying the visits.

Does anyone still talk about the State Visit ?

I bet those people in the background who prepared everything for months are livid :whistling: Spanish and Danish journalists must have had a good time exchanging stories about what happened and who is who but the serious background is completely out of the window.

I would like to know why they abolished the stately drive in carriages to the reception in the townhall by the city of Copenhagen....?

Last edited:
Does anyone still talk about the State Visit ?

I bet those people in the background who prepared everything for months are livid :whistling: Spanish and Danish journalists must have had a good time exchanging stories about what happened and who is who but the serious background is completely out of the window.

Alas.

I would like to know why they abolished the stately drive in carriages to the reception in the townhall by the city of Copenhagen....?

Security reasons?

Thank you for all the photos and videos. I am finally caught up after making the rounds on social media.

Queen Margrethe certainly seemed to be in fine form for the visit. She did not look as frail as she appeared for Prince Christian's 18th birthday celebrations. I am always deeply impressed by the elaborate table and place settings on these visits. It is clear that Queen Margrethe goes all out for her guests.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the warmth and closeness between Queen Letizia and Crown Princess Mary. On day 1 it was nice to see the Queen wait for Mary to catch up walking to her and to put her arms around her back. They also seemed to have a nice time together sharing several private laughs and giggles during their visit to the hospital.

Over all it seemed to be a lovely visit. Shame that Frederik's behavior should mark the last day of this visit.

The Queen got the wedding date of Felipe and Letizia wrong in her speech - she said her and Henrik attended their wedding in Madrid June 2004, they actually married in May. Surely someone would check for such a detail? I suspect the Spanish Royal Couple left Denmark pretty dispirited - an incorrect date (no biggie really but hurtful someone couldn't even be bothered to double check) and a long planned state visit over shadowed by Frederik's reputation catching up with him. Having to stand next to F&M for the photos to be used just to analyse the couple's bodylanguage with each other is not, I am sure, wha they had in mind.

The Queen got the wedding date of Felipe and Letizia wrong in her speech - she said her and Henrik attended their wedding in Madrid June 2004, they actually married in May. Surely someone would check for such a detail? I suspect the Spanish Royal Couple left Denmark pretty dispirited - an incorrect date (no biggie really but hurtful someone couldn't even be bothered to double check) and a long planned state visit over shadowed by Frederik's reputation catching up with him. Having to stand next to F&M for the photos to be used just to analyse the couple's bodylanguage with each other is not, I am sure, wha they had in mind.
To me that indicates that Margrethe wrote the speech herself, or at least inserted that nugget about attending their wedding. The wedding was on May 22, so a little over a week shy of being in June. If I am correct, I think that it is more flattering that she added a personal touch to a speech but made a minor geriatric mistake, rather than reading a speech / passage composed by someone else.

My understanding is that these visits are to shore up diplomatic and economic ties and that a lot of work is being done in the background by bureaucrats and the royals are window dressing. Presumably the "scandal" did not affect the bureaucrats ability to accomplish what they set out to do. Of course you do not want scandal plagued state visits, and this news broke towards the end, but really what it amounts to (IMO) is that the window dressing aspect of the state visit was defined by the news that there are pictures of Denmark's Crown Prince walking through the streets of Madrid with another woman rather than being defined by the Queen of Spain topped off her ponytail with an unflattering tiara.

It is even more unsettling considering that F&L's marriage took place just a week after F&M's, diidn't it? It would be difficult for QMII to mix up the date unless she also forgot her own son's wedding date. But the Queen is old and her memory may not be so sharp anymore. The blame is on her aides who wrote the speech.

It is even more unsettling considering that F&L's marriage took place just a week after F&M's, diidn't it? It would be difficult for QMII to mix up the date unless she also forgot her own son's wedding date. But the Queen is old and her memory may not be so sharp anymore. The blame is on her aides who wrote the speech.

Yes, their marriage was a week after F&M's. I guess she recalled it was shortly afterwards but thought it was a month later instead of a week later...

It's normal given Queen Margrethe's age for her to confuse dates. This even happens to those who are younger. I don't think it's a serious thing.

Back
Top Bottom