State visit from Spain to Denmark: November 6-8, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is about time that this State visit finally takes place. Pity that it now will take place in autumn/Winter

Something to look forward to.

I hope Christian gets a role, but with with Leonor away in the military I unfortunately doubt it.

I also look forward to seeing the Spanish Regent Couple interacting with M&F. Also unfortunately that's not something we see often, especially in recent years, given the circumstances.

I'll only say that this means M&F front and center as pretty much defacto hosts of the Spanish royal couple. It will be great to see Mary and Letizia together.

It is about time that this State visit finally takes place. Pity that it now will take place in autumn/Winter

Poor Letizia looked frozen when she was in Sweden, hopefully it won't be too cold in November!

It's a good new. I have wanted this state visit to take place for a long time now.
It will be interesting to see King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia interact with Prince Frederik, Princess Mary and Queen Margrethe II.

This will be nice to see. Always look forward to the royal gatherings. Maybe we can have a photo of Felipe with his godson, Vincent. And if we do see Christian, it'll be nice to see a height comparison with Felipe ; )

Maybe we can have a photo of Felipe with his godson, Vincent. And if we do see Christian, it'll be nice to see a height comparison with Felipe ; )

Fingers crossed! :wub:
Christian isn't that tall, he looks gigantic compared to Frederik, who isn't precisely tall... I would be surprised if Christian is around 6'1 (which is still short for a man, at least in my giraffic book). Hopefully he'll be an important presence during the State Visit.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this visit!

Fingers crossed! :wub:
Christian isn't that tall, he looks gigantic compared to Frederik, who isn't precisely tall... I would be surprised if Christian is around 6'1 (which is still short for a man, at least in my giraffic book). Hopefully he'll be an important presence during the State Visit.

CP Frederik is 1.83m, or 6 feet, and Christian towers over him. He'd be around 1.90m. I suspect he'll eventually be around the 1.92m or 1.93m mark

CP Frederik is 1.83m, or 6 feet, and Christian towers over him. He'd be around 1.90m.

1'83 is still short for a man (once again: in my books!) but I thought CP Frederik was way waaay shorter. Christian must indeed be 6'3 nowadays then.

Last edited:
1'83 is still short for a man (once again: in my books!) but I thought CP Frederik was way waaay shorter. Christian must indeed be 6'3 nowadays then.

It depends on how tall you are in comparison ;)
I'm 1.67m and my husband is 1.84m. For me, he is tall enough :)

King Felipe is extremely tall at 1.97m! I didn't realise Queen Letizia is 1.70m - she looks so tiny compared to him! QMII will look absolutely tiny compared to him!

My son, who's 11.5 years old is already my height. I suspect he'll be around King Felipe's height :eek:

And just to point out, the last King Christian was even taller than Felipe (2.01m), and it's those Danish genes, via Greece, which have now manifested themselves highly in Spain. :flowers:

It depends on how tall you are in comparison ;)
I'm 1.67m and my husband is 1.84m. For me, he is tall enough :)

King Felipe is extremely tall at 1.97m! I didn't realise Queen Letizia is 1.70m - she looks so tiny compared to him! QMII will look absolutely tiny compared to him!

My son, who's 11.5 years old is already my height. I suspect he'll be around King Felipe's height :eek:

I'm 1'85 myself, my husband is 1'98. But all this years I've been convinced that CP Frederik was like 1'78. I'm shocked.

Frederik IX was 1'98. Christian is still growing but I don't think he will match his great-grandfather's height. Felipe and the young Prince Gabriël of Belgium will probably remain the tallest Royals alive.

Last edited:
Hope Mary gets a Spanish order. Also, as Christian will be 18, would he get an order of some type?

Hope Mary gets a Spanish order. Also, as Christian will be 18, would he get an order of some type?

The probability is the following: Frederik will receive the Order of Carlos III on version without collar, Mary the GC of the Order of Isabel la Católica, and if Joachim and Marie attend, they will receive the Order of Civil Merit. Princess Benedikte has the Order of Isabel la Católica

Christian can be awarded with the Order of Isabel la Católica or Civil Merit

The probability is the following: Frederik will receive the Order of Carlos III on version without collar, Mary the GC of the Order of Isabel la Católica, and if Joachim and Marie attend, they will receive the Order of Civil Merit. Princess Benedikte has the Order of Isabel la Católica

In Sweden Victoria got the Order of Isabel the catholic which is usually awarded to Heirs and Prince Daniel the Order of Civil Merit. However earlier spouses of heirs like Mathilde, Máxima (who even was not the spouse yet as the SV took place before her marriage) and Mette-Marit had been given the Order of Isabel the catholic. So it will be interesting to see which one will be given to Mary.

I doubt Christian will receive any order since it is unlikely that he will be involved in the state visit.

Keep in mind also that, with the exception of the order of the Golden Fleece, which is awarded on the proposal of the monarch, all other Spanish civil orders, including the orders of Charles III, Isabella the Catholic, and Civil Merit are awarded on the proposal and with the approval of the Spanish government, and subject to regulations laid out by royal decree (hence also drafted and pre-approved by the government). The King signs all order diplomas (or at least a facsimile of his signature is attached thereto), but he does not decide on who receives the honor.

Christiansborg Palace will be closed for visitors 2-8 November. It might be a clue for teh state visit.

Christiansborg Palace will be closed for visitors 2-8 November. It might be a clue for teh state visit.

That's not too long after Leonor's 18th Birthday!

That means lots of Mary and Frederik as defacto hosts doing engagements with the Spanish royal couple. And the Spanish RF knows how to prooley cover these events so there should be quite a bit of coverage via the Spanish RF social media channels.

State Visit from Spain

At the invitation of Her Majesty The Queen, Their Majesties King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain will pay a State Visit to Denmark the days of 6 - 8 November 2023.

The King and Queen will be accompanied by the Spanish minister for foreign affairs and a business delegation during the State Visit. The business delegation will focus on areas of Danish-Spanish cooperation within, among other things, green transformation, the pharmaceutical industry and shipping.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/state-visit-from-spain

The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs also officially confirmed the visit in a statement.
Their Majesties the King and Queen will make a State Trip to Denmark on November 6, 7 and 8, in response to the invitation of Her Majesty the Queen of Denmark.

​The acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation, José Manuel Albares, will accompany Their Majesties the King and Queen on this trip.
https://www.exteriores.gob.es/es/Co...aginas/2023_COMUNICADOS/20231009_COMU037.aspx

Photo of the state visit of King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía to Denmark.
https://c3.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G831721ff/22550276_kpR0R.jpeg

Last edited:
Orders from the Spanish government to the Royal Family and Danish authorities on the occasion of the state visit:

This was published this Monday by the Official State Gazette (BOE), after agreeing to it by the Council of Ministers at the proposal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at its meeting last week.

Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic for Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.

Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit to Prince Joachim and Princess Marie.

The Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic is also awarded to Queen Margrethe II's private secretary, Henning Fode, and to Colonel Kim Kristensen, Lord Chamberlain.

https://www.europapress.es/nacional...-estado-felipe-vi-letizia-20231030105043.html

Royal Decree 793/2023, of October 24, by which the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic is awarded to His Royal Highness the Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark and Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2023/10/30/pdfs/BOE-A-2023-22192.pdf

Royal Decree 794/2023, of October 24, which grants the Great Cross of the Order of Civil Merit to His Royal Highness Prince Joachim of Denmark and to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie of Denmark.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2023/10/30/pdfs/BOE-A-2023-22193.pdf

Last edited:
Interesting that Crown Princess Mary is given the Order of Isabel the catholic, unlike Prince Daniel of Sweden who had to do with the lower Order of Merit.

As Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are also given spanish orders my guess is that they will participate in the State Visit.

Back
Top Bottom