Second son for Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank -Ernest George Ronnie; May 30

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it looks like Eugiene might have underwent a c-section delivery with her 2nd one at portland.

A lot of "old" names are now back in fashion. Arthur, Albert, Florence, Maud and Matilda, to name a few. But Ernest definitely isn't.

A lot of "old" names are now back in fashion. Arthur, Albert, Florence, Maud and Matilda, to name a few. But Ernest definitely isn't.

Matilda and Maud are the same name, just different languages.

And I remember seeing Diana's despairing complaint that she was expected to name William and Harry "Arthur and Albert".

Ernest goes perfectly with August! Augie and Ernie! :D

Hadn't seen any other name than George coming :lol: I still get a bit weary of their jumping through hoops to "name after" someone who didn't go by that name at all – but that's just me. I do love their fondness of old-fashioned names.

No need for Eugenie to inflict an awful name like that on the poor child. Most minor royals give unusual modern names to their children now.

Fortunately beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Eugenie and Jack clearly don't think Ernest is an "awful" name.

Congratulations to both families, I'm sure they must be thrilled

Matilda and Maud are the same name, just different languages.

And I remember seeing Diana's despairing complaint that she was expected to name William and Harry "Arthur and Albert".

Charles is on record as saying that Prince William of Gloucester was like a big brother to him and it is presumed that that is whom William is named for. Interesting that William's father was named Henry.

I have never heard anything about Diana expecting to name either son 'Arthur and Albert'. I have heard she wanted to name William after her father but wasn't allowed to use John.

Charles is on record as saying that Prince William of Gloucester was like a big brother to him and it is presumed that that is whom William is named for. Interesting that William's father was named Henry.

I have never heard anything about Diana expecting to name either son 'Arthur and Albert'. I have heard she wanted to name William after her father but wasn't allowed to use John.

Considering the story is from 1992... https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca...-harry-baby-names_ca_5cd4fbdfe4b07bc72973b52c

John was apparently her choice; Arthur was Charles's; they argued for a week and settled on William. And that's all I'll say to avoid OT.

Congratulations to the Brooksbanks!

In what world is Ivy crazy or a 'trendy name of the week'???

Floral names like Ivy were popular for centuries and are one of the old names that have become more popular again.

Sorry, I was thinking of the name "Blue Ivy" which I heard for the first time. I didn't know that Ivy in general is a common and oldfashioned name in English speaking countries.

Ivy was especially popular in late Victorian and Edwardian England and it’s really come back into favour over the past two decades.

Sorry, I was thinking of the name "Blue Ivy" which I heard for the first time. I didn't know that Ivy in general is a common and oldfashioned name in English speaking countries.

very much so. It is one of the Victorian flower names that has come back lately

I remember that as well! :flowers:

Diana said something to the effect that she was the one who named her sons, because the alternatives were Arthur and Albert. No thank you!
:lol:

Well, Eugenie and Jack must like the names they chose, so that's that.

Presumably they did, but I think Ernest is going to be teased and regret his name.

Presumably they did, but I think Ernest is going to be teased and regret his name.

I think he will likely be known as "Ernie" (or possibly even "Georgie" or "Ronnie") and it won't be so bad.

There is nothing terrible that rhymes with or immediately comes to mind with Ernest, at least.

the only Ernie I can think of, was teh fastest milkman in the west of the Comic Song.

the only Ernie I can think of, was teh fastest milkman in the west of the Comic Song.

As an Aussie the first person I think of is Ernie Dingo - who basically 'created' the 'Welcome to Country' ceremonies that now happen at the start of almost every event in this country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Dingo

If you ever saw Crocodile Dundee II - he was in that.

(Bert and) Ernie from Sesame Street :)
I’m surprised of the negative reactions to the name Ernest. I actually like it! Where I live it’s not really considered oldfashioned.

I like the name Ernest. Actually it was August that threw me when their first child's name was announced.
Man, in that adorable picture released by Eugenie, does August ( to me ) look SO MUCH like Archie !

Last edited:
(Bert and) Ernie from Sesame Street :)
I’m surprised of the negative reactions to the name Ernest. I actually like it! Where I live it’s not really considered oldfashioned.

I agree, what comes to mind is "Ernie" of Sesame Street. Many oldfashioned names are given to children nowadays, such as Rudolf, Robert, Paul, Hermann, Theodor , nothing is wrong with that. It is a trend, and what surprises me, that it seems to be like that in almost all European countries.

Unusual when Germans start to name their children "Zoe" or "Chantelle" or "Kevin" a while ago.

If people want they can put a nickname on almost every chosen name. I like Nicholas very much, or Cedric (very oldfashioned british name). And they call them Nick or Ceddie.

Tastes are different, what one person likes the other doesn't.

My aunt is named Ernie and at 70 years old, she claims to have never been teased about it or had many remarks about her name. And that while being a lowerschool teacher for 40 years filled with children who watched Sesame Street on a daily basis.
So, I think the little Ernest will be fine.

There's also Ernie Macmillian, from the Harry Potter books.

Yes, that's what I first thought of ... Benny Hill at his best. But today's generation may not be familiar with it.

I felt sorry for this new little baby being saddled with Ernest, but also felt sorry for Prince George being stuck with his name. All I could think of at the time was how stodgy it sounded. "Georgie Porgie". I suppose it grows on us as we see the children grow up.

(How on earth did Zara manage to get her name, which was a delightful surprise? I think Charles recommended it, but it's been one of the better choices by the Royals, imho.)

(How on earth did Zara manage to get her name, which was a delightful surprise? I think Charles recommended it, but it's been one of the better choices by the Royals, imho.)

He's supposed to have got the idea from Zara Legge-Bourke, the sister of Tiggy Legge-Bourke who would later become William and Harry's nanny. They're all friends, and I think Zara Phillips was a bridesmaid at Zara Legge-Bourke's wedding.

What I read was that it was based on the arab word for Dawn, Zohr, and as the baby was born early morning Anne chose it.

Charles named his niece, but it had nothing to do with Zara Legge-Burke.

Anne has said that Charles named her for the Greek meaning 'bright as dawn' because she arrived suddenly early in the morning.

I thought that Eos was the Greek for Dawn.

From the page for "Zara", which links to this one, "blooming flower" is a separate Arabic name, although they are derived from the same root:
https://www.behindthename.com/name/zahra
I highly recommend this site for name information.

Back
Top Bottom