Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What great news to tune into on my coffee break. So happy for not only a name but some adorable photos for the baby :flowers:

I actually love the name. Not so common. A family name but one that has not been used in generations. As much as I like Frederick and Arthur they are very popular and common now (And Arthur reminds me too much of Pippa's kid). And I find Albert too old fashioned.

So happy Philip got honored. Not surprised middle name. Giving the baby his own identity while still honoring great-grandpa before he turns 100.

Nice blend of the two families.

It should be noticed the last Augustus (first name) in the royal family was the first and only previous Duke of Sussex before Harry. His children including a son Augustus from his first marriage, were considered illegitamite as they married without royal permission.

Be funny if baby August went by his middle name Hawke. Then he and his step-cousin would be Wolfie and Hawke. :cool:

Last edited:
Love the names!

I for sure thought she would've gone the traditional route of Arthur, Charles, ...etc

Apologies I haven't read through all of this thread, but do members think August will be shortened to Gus? Assuming August will be the name they choose to use.

Eugenie has obviously wanted to show respect to her grandfather, when you think of her wedding, all the old enough great grand children were in the bridal party which was so lovely for the queen and Philip. She is a thoughtful young woman,

Agreed. Eugenie seems very thoughtful and family oriented. Love that Philip was one of the names.

Lovely names, except the Hawke, which sound nor really pronouncable..
Lovely gesture very sweet for Prince Philip, hope he is conscious and heard the great new. I wish they kept Philip as called name, as despite many boys of the family have Philip among their names, no-one is being called Philip, after the DoE, especially now that he does not seem going well unfortunately.

Lovely names, except the Hawke, which sound nor really pronouncable..
Lovely gesture very sweet for Prince Philip, hope he is conscious and heard the great new. I wish they kept Philip as called name, as despite many boys of the family have Philip among their names, no-one is being called Philip, after the DoE, especially now that he does not seem going well unfortunately.

How is Hawke not pronounceable? :ermm: Its pronounced the same way as the bird.

They likely wanted to give the child his own identity, instead of naming him straight for Prince Philip. A lot of people choose an original first name (or far back family name) as a first name and then honor close family in the middle.

Apologies I haven't read through all of this thread, but do members think August will be shortened to Gus? Assuming August will be the name they choose to use.

I sure hope not. "Gus" sounds like the name one would give to a pet hamster. Incidentally it was the name of one of Cinderella's pet mice.:ermm:

quite a common abbreviation of August/us. I'd say its very likely....

I sure hope not. "Gus" sounds like the name one would give to a pet hamster. Incidentally it was the name of one of Cinderella's pet mice.:ermm:

It's also the name of the famous Pennsylvania groundhog, who checks if spring is here or if it's six more weeks of winter. (Feb. 2 = Groundhog Day) :lol:

Gus really sounds like a pet name. Maybe they'll come up with a new abbreviation? Not all people use the common/standard abbreviations. But I guess it really depends on the culture/country.

Here in Portugal, we use abbreviations/cute little forms all the time. My maternal grandfather called me one thing, my paternal grandmother called me other different things. I had nicknames/abbreviations/cute variations throughout my life. My name is Catia, and I've heard (Kate, Katy, Catinha, Catxinha, Cáty, Bibi, Firi, and so on...)

Last edited:
What interesting names. I was only of the many who predicted (among other names) for Philip. No real surprise there.

August is a name that is rising in popularity on the baby name web sites (I love collecting names) It is different and dignified. Hawke is also a great name that has the potential to become popular.

Not surprisingly, these names are in the categories many of us predicted, conservative but fashionable, and added family names. All in all, a lovely choice.

It's also the name of the famous Pennsylvania groundhog, who checks if spring is here or if it's six more weeks of winter. (Feb. 2 = Groundhog Day) :lol:

Isn't that Punxsutawney Phil? Meeces and groundhogs and hawks. OH MY! :D

But seriously, I love the name August. He's not the first little boy I've heard named August recently. A friend of mine named her son August a few years ago. It's a strong name. Love the nods to older family members where comparisons cannot be made to a living person but its family names.

What a little cutie. Jack and Eugenie look so happy as a family unit too!

I've heard of Augie as being a nickname.

That reminds me of the old cartoon Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Augie does have a nice ring to it though. Augie Brooksbank. :)

Last edited:
They could always call him Hawke.

It certainly wouldn't be a first for a royal or upper crust to go by a secondary name. Its actually quite common in Jack's family. Certainly a number of royals have done it as well.

I still think it would be cute if the two York grandsons (yes I know one is step) were Wolf and Hawk. :cool:

But seriously, I love the name August. He's not the first little boy I've heard named August recently. A friend of mine named her son August a few years ago. It's a strong name. Love the nods to older family members where comparisons cannot be made to a living person but its family names.

What a little cutie. Jack and Eugenie look so happy as a family unit too!

That reminds me of the old cartoon Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Augie does have a nice ring to it though. Augie Brooksbank. :)

I was thinking the same thing about the groundhog. Thought maybe Phil got retired.

There does seem to be Groundhog Gus but he is advertising for the lottery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_the_groundhog#/media/File:Large_10gus.JPG

Last edited:
I like Master August's name.
I like the fact that Queen Victoria's husband's full name was stated: Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel.
How many people know that the first name of Prince Albert is Francis?

Actually it was the German equivalent Franz, but Prince Albert certainly seemed to be known by his second name from childhood.

You're right!
Gus the Groundhog is from the Pennsylvania Lottery; always on the television ads.

August has apparently become quite popular in Hollywood circles in the past couple of years, according to the site below, with several actors choosing it for their children. Also it seems to be reasonably popular in Sweden.

https://nameberry.com/babyname/August/boy

August has apparently become quite popular in Hollywood circles in the past couple of years, according to the site below, with several actors choosing it for their children. Also it seems to be reasonably popular in Sweden.

https://nameberry.com/babyname/August/boy

Past couple of years is a big of a stretch. Youngest of the kids in question is 15. The others are adults.

There was a phase in the late 90s early 2000s when naming kids after seasons or months was popular. Not that it doesn’t still happen but definitely less so.

I really love the name they picked for their son. It has meaning since he's named in honor of relatives. To me it looks and feels classic but modern at the same time.

I'm so happy Eugenie and Jack shared a photo of their family, so sweet. Other meanings of the name of August are sacred, respected and impressive. It's a fine name.

Little August Philip Hawke is expected to do his job now. Eat, sleep, cry, keep his parents up for a late night feeding and a walk about the nursery and give them a present every so often in his nappy. He is just fine.

I wonder if August is pronounced like the month or the more European 'Or-goost'.

I didn't realise Eugenie's pronounciation until her wedding :)

Last edited:
I wonder if August is pronounced like the month or the more European 'Or-goost'.

I didn't realise Eugenie's pronounciation until her wedding :)

I have never heard it pronounced like that. :ermm:

Handsome name.

I think the first syllable of the name is emphasized and pronounced to rhyme with Corgi and York.

August Philip Hawke Brooksbank looks absolutely, Snugglepot, adorable.
How lovely to see a picture.

His name reminds me of great artists and fine minds. It is a very European choice.
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Auguste Rodin, August Strindberg, August Horch,

Lucky number eight is associated with August. His Aunt Beatrice, of course, being born on 8:8:88.

Last edited:
He is an adorable baby, and it's a nice family picture.

Wonder where they will have the christening?
St. James? St. George's? Kensington Palace?

He is an adorable baby, and it's a nice family picture.

Wonder where they will have the christening?
St. James? St. George's? Kensington Palace?

Possibly not till Covid is much diminished....

Back
Top Bottom