Second son for Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank -Ernest George Ronnie; May 30

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is the name among the great-children which is made-up?

I'm happy for them that they have a healthy son, and are no doubt happy with their 2 boys.
I personally strongly dislike the name Ernest, but clearly they must like it. My opinion doesn't really matter. I also dislike using Ronnie rather than Ronald, but again, not my kid, not my decision.

Ernest is also the name of Duke Ernest I of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
He was the father of Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria and Duke Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

[.....]
And this is OT to the relevant great-grandchild, of course — Ernest.

I hope Eugenie and Jack did not think too much about the notorious Duke of Cumberland/King of Hanover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Victoria’s dastardly scar-faced uncle who was suspected early on of having designs on the Throne? No, I think Eugenie and Jack probably just thought Ernest went nicely with George, it being a middle name of George V, and they also choosing George, as a middle name.

Some off topic comments have been removed. Let's stick to the topic of this thread, which is Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank's lovely new baby.

Congratulations to Eugenie and Jack and their families! I love the name!

Ernest is not a name that I'd choose personally, but it does seem to work quite well with Brooksbank!

Does anyone know how they pronounce his brother August's name? Is it "or"gust or "ow"gust?

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to the happy Parents :flowers:

It seems there was no announcement from the Palace, even though there was one for the births of August Brooksbank and Sienna Mapelli Mozzi. Likewise, Zara Tindall's first two children were announced by the palace but her third child was not.

After all, Eugenie is not already a descendant of the current Sovereign, but a relative in a sideline (niece).

I am sure that Buckingham Palace will not announce officially the births of Beatrice's eventual second child, nor of eventual Louise and James' children in the more distant future.

Awful name. August was bad enough, Ernest is soem old Victorian uncle

Awful name. August was bad enough, Ernest is soem old Victorian uncle

Naming children after "old uncles" (and parents, ancestors, etc.) was the firm tradition of Western societies until very recent times, and European royal and noble families continue to practice that tradition.

No need for Eugenie to inflict an awful name like that on the poor child. Most minor royals give unusual modern names to their children now.

Ernest is a beautiful name.

Being a big fan of Princess Alice, Queen Victoria's second daughter and the Great Great Grandmother to Prince Philip, I like the name Ernest.

Alice's son was Grand Duke Ernest Louis, Grand Duke of Hesse. Died in 1937. The beloved brother of the tragic Tsarina Alexandra and Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Russia, as well as sisters Victoria and Irene.

Honestly surprised Philip wasnt used

August's second name is Philip.

A reminder that when a moderator posts a note in the thread, complying with it is part of the forum rules. A number of posts that attempted to continue a deleted off topic discussion have been removed.

It seems there was no announcement from the Palace, even though there was one for the births of August Brooksbank and Sienna Mapelli Mozzi. Likewise, Zara Tindall's first two children were announced by the palace but her third child was not.

There was an announcement from the Palace, they did a press release right before Eugenie's Instagram post was up.

Ernest isn't what I would choose but somehow it suits the family, classic and nice name. Pretty bad to call someone's name awful BTW......:ninja:

I had thought we might see Philip or Charles among the baby's names!

Thank you, could you link to it? I looked but could not find one.

Buckingham Palace has announced that a second son was born to Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank last week. “Princess Eugenie and Mr Jack Brooksbank are delighted to announce the safe arrival of their son, Ernest George Ronnie Brooksbank,” the statement read. “Ernest was born on Tuesday, 30th May, and weighed 7lbs 1oz.”

…Vanity Fair

August as well as Ernest (Ernst in German) are very old fashioned names. I have learned that old fashioned names are very much "The thing" in GB as well as in Germany. They have something like a renaissance. In fact, I like them better than all those crazy names like "ivy", "apple" or even names of the week, which are also very common today.

Maybe she was inspired by the House of Hanover who named their sons for many generations "Ernst August"?

August as well as Ernest (Ernst in German) are very old fashioned names. I have learned that old fashioned names are very much "The thing" in GB as well as in Germany. They have something like a renaissance. In fact, I like them better than all those crazy names like "ivy", "apple" or even names of the week, which are also very common today.

Maybe she was inspired by the House of Hanover who named their sons for many generations "Ernst August"?

In what world is Ivy crazy or a 'trendy name of the week'???

Floral names like Ivy were popular for centuries and are one of the old names that have become more popular again.

Back
Top Bottom