Queen Margrethe's State Visit to Ghana: November 23-24, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was truly wonderful to read and watch the video Muhler. I found it so interesting to watch QM with all the activities going on and to see how she is very interested in everything down to the smallest detail. To still have that much vin and vigor at her age is telling me that she is still in peak form and willing to go the distance. Also saw her LIW with her on this trip. You are truly a dear to do this for us........:cheers:

This isn't the correct thread yet I so loved her pretty pink dress and hat the best........and that brooch was amazing, a diamond circle with 2 pretty pink diamonds hanging in the middle, maybe ....give me the hat first for I love hats.:lol: no wait, brooch then the hat....:whistling:

You are welcome, ladies. ?

Summary of interview and trivia from article in Billed Bladet #48, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

We already know that QMII felt glad and relieved her husband is fine and in a nice, warm place (Egypt). And that fact enables her to relax and enjoy herself.

Q: But hasn't life changed for the Queen and the family?
QMII: "It will eventually, that will happen. But until now I can't claim that is has been a major change for us. The big change is, so to speak, that people are now aware of how my husband is faring. But then I also have to say that people have been immeasurably kind and obliging towards all of us and that helps us all a lot.
And then we'll take it from there".

QMII was indeed in fine form during the visit.
Q: Your Majesty... it's difficult to keep up with You.
QMII: (Laughing) Is it. - Yeah... well, but I actually don't think it's particularly hard. It's amusing (her favorite expression) and as it is said the desire can drive the work a long way". (Substitute with a similar expression in your own language.)

After so many years the 53rd state visit is still a pleasure.
The visit has been a positive experience of Ghana and people of Ghana and the development Ghana has been through.
While there is still poverty the country has gone through a considerable development since the independence in 1960. The democracy has been for well over ten years and that is reflected in the pride and self-awareness of the people.

Q: The Queen has been to Africa before - Can You spot changes in the years that have passed?
QMII: "Well, I've never been to West Africa before. This is the first time so there is no direct comparison. Well, it's Africa, alright, but neither South Africa nor Tanzania looks like Ghana or has the same history".

Q: Yesterday You also visited a lively area, where people cheered You and called the Queen Mama King...
QMII: "I didn't hear that. But it's funny, very amusing I think".

Q: Your husband is known to have a weakness for Africa and African art and the people down here. Does the Queen share that passion?
QMII: "I'm nearly as knowledgeable about it as my husband. But I can recognize many things has has been telling about and which he is interested in. So in that way I'm reminded of him and his interest down here, when I recognize things and features. And we have a lot of African art in our homes".

Q: Yes, the Queen and the Prince have almost as "Africa" at home in the palaces, than what is down here?
QMII: (Laughing). "Well, it isn't from the area around Ghana, but it is from West Africa, most of my husband's collection, so that's amusing".

QMII met President Akkufo-Addo several times and the two of them seemed to have a fine rapport between them.

She and the delegation stayed at Hotel Mövenpick. She had flown in on an air force Challenger with a stop in Algeria. After touching down and being received by the Vice-President at the airport, she went to the hotel for a change of clothes before departing for the Danish embassy for a reception only 1½ hour later.
With her went her hairdresser, Poul Nejlund.

39 Danish companies accompanied QMII in the business delegation. Among the a chocolate manufacturer, who purchase almost all their cocoa beans from Ghana, which is the largest exporter of cocoa beans in the world.
Fort Christiansborg is now called Osu Castle and is now the residence of the President.
Osu from the name of the local area, Osu. And as such QMII paid a visit to the King of Osu. (Whom you may remember sat high up on his throne, while QMII sat considerably further down. And it was here the spirits were served schnapps).
But she was presented with a couple of presents by the King, one being a large gilded scepter.

At some point QMII sailed up the Volta River - for half an hour - and that was actually the only relaxing item on the agenda on the whole trip. That is where she was out and about without any press and without having to do anything.

QMII also got the opportunity to visit the Kpong Market, the second largest market in Ghanw, where you can buy everything! "You can buy everything from tomatoes to sell-illuminating socks"!
But the market is famous for glass-beads recycled from bottles.

At the embassy QMII was presented with a present from staff, a gold-brooch, which she put on her dress - albeit with some difficult.

- But see for yourselves here: BB #48, 2017
(Enjoy in particular the great photo of our Marie, posing with Susse Wold at an AIDS concert. BTW Susse Wold is 79! Repeat 79 years old, born in 1938.)

Last edited:
As you know, no matter how well things are planned something totally unexpected can happen.

That was also the case during QMII visit to Ghana. Or rather before her visit.
She flew with an air force Challenger and touched down in Algiers for refueling.
A quite ordinary thing and normally the dignitary in question, in this case QMII and two ministers, would be offered refreshments in a VIP lounge at the airport. No big deal, happens all the time. - But...

Upon touching down the plane was led to a red carpet, where a company sized honor guard waited as well several ministers and the Chairman of the Algerian Senate.
This unexpected very official welcome lasted an hour and was well featured on the Algerian news, but neither the Danish court nor the Danish Foreign Ministry has mentioned the episode.
The reason being that it from a Danish point of view was a mere pit-stop and such not planned and therefore not listed on any official calendars.

The Algerians however were happy to use this "visit" to cement the relations between Denmark (and EU) and Algeria.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/margrethes-mellemlanding-i-udlandet-gik-slet-ikke-som-ventet-og-det-kom

Queen of Denmark Marguerite II makes technical stop at Algiers

- And wouldn't you know. On the way back from Ghana, she got a similar reception once again in Algeirs.

The international protocol for traveling heads of state says that the head of state must be received with full honors upon arriving in the country that person is to visit.
But stop for refueling or change of plane or something similar is not considered a visit and as such no official welcome is needed. Instead they will be offered hospitality while waiting to take off again - and otherwise left alone. Heads of states are after all just like everybody else, they also like to stretch their legs after a long flight and they also suffer from jet lag.

The protocol also says that if a head of state is on holiday that person will be treated as being there incognito, so to speak, and pretty much left alone.

Otherwise some airports, like in New York, would have permanent honor guards standing at the runways nearly 24/7/365!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom