Prince William Current Events 17: September-January 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
So what (in detail) will his Traing in The RAF And Navy consist of (it said something about the Fleet Air Arm) I Know a bit about the UK Armed Forces who can tell me more
Thanks Very Much in Advance
Respectfully
Royal Fan

So what (in detail) will his Traing in The RAF And Navy consist of (it said something about the Fleet Air Arm) I Know a bit about the UK Armed Forces who can tell me more
If he is going for his wings, they will cover all aspects of pilot training, but that depends on which aircraft he will be allowed to fly. As you can see from this link, under normal circumstances, the upper age limit is 23, but normal circumstances are being cast aside. Still he should enjoy Cranwell, (if that is where he does go) & Coningsby if he is to fly the Typhoon, (noisier bloomin things). :D
Pilot - Aircrew jobs – RAF Careers

This gives you a variety of information on the Navy Fleet Air Arm.
Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy

If he is going for his wings, they will cover all aspects of pilot training, but that depends on which aircraft he will be allowed to fly. As you can see from this link, under normal circumstances, the upper age limit is 23, but normal circumstances are being cast aside. Still he should enjoy Cranwell, (if that is where he does go) & Coningsby if he is to fly the Typhoon, (noisier bloomin things). :D
Pilot - Aircrew jobs – RAF Careers

This gives you a variety of information on the Navy Fleet Air Arm.
Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy

Interesting. I thought it was a given he would go to Cranwell, but didn't know until now about Coningsby. In any case, he is getting the same kind of crash course of the military forces that his father had, only perhaps more extensive, as I do not know of his father ever doing something in the army.

This pic looks like it's from the Boujis night with Kate last week because he is wearing the same shirt, and he has the same messy hair style. :p
Funny hair
It's from here:
Hola's Most Attractive Man Poll
Of course I had to vote for Pierre. Although I know saying that in William's thread is dangerous.... try to refrain from throwing tomatos, please? :lol:

Anyone else applying to join the RAF as a pilot has to have 'uncorrected vision', (no specs and no surgery). If they have, they are guided to choose any other trade. (I did post a link somewhere, with a reply from a RAF careers advisor, stating the uncorrected vision rule for 'normal' folk)!
Prince William to serve with Navy and RAF - Telegraph

Why the heck is the RAF so strict? The US Navy even allows for corrected vision either glasses or eye surgery and the Navy is the hardest branch to be a pilot in since you have to land on aircraft carriers.

Interesting. I thought it was a given he would go to Cranwell, but didn't know until now about Coningsby. In any case, he is getting the same kind of crash course of the military forces that his father had, only perhaps more extensive, as I do not know of his father ever doing something in the army.
His initial training should be Cranwell, but if he wants a 'shot' at the Typhoon, it's Coningsby. He will be the first royal to have received training in all three arms, (not The Three Arms, which sells a nice pint. :D)

Why the heck is the RAF so strict?
One of the problems, I am told, is if they are doing a high speed roll or manouever and the glasses get knocked off or your contact lens shifts, then you put your co pilot, yourself and people on the ground in danger. You also risk a multi million pound piece of equipment. They are not trained to fly just one type of craft, they can be in a Harrier and then changed to a Nimrod or Typhoon!

William also had his concerns about his sight.

Prince William to have year long 'Boy's Own' military stint learning to fly helicopters | the Daily Mail

William, who wears glasses in private, had always feared his vision problems would prevent him from taking to the skies.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a real danger with flying certain aircraft, i.e. fighter jets, with corrective devices like contacts and glasses. In the Daily Mail, it says Prince William may fly the Tutor aircraft. I am not knowledgeable about planes so I looked this up. (I only know vaguely about the rules about corrective vision and planes from my comrades in my military service many years ago).
Have a look here:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tutorgriffin.cfm
Maybe William is going to fly this. It says Cranwell uses it for basic flying instruction.

RAF - Tutor T Mark 1
Maybe William is going to fly this. It says Cranwell uses it for basic flying instruction.
Yes, most of them start their pilot training with the 'Tutor' or the Tucano, but I presumed he would want to build up his air time and go on to a REAL plane! :D (One of the brats is involved with the Typhoon, so I am biased, you might say)! :ROFLMAO:

Anybody know if William is nearsighted or farsighted? This is the first I've heard of him "wearing glasses in private"?

Any photos of him wearing glasses? That would be interesting to see!

Anybody know if William is nearsighted or farsighted? This is the first I've heard of him "wearing glasses in private"?

Any photos of him wearing glasses? That would be interesting to see!

There were photos of him arriving at the Cheltenham races in his glasses. He took them off when he got out of his car. He looked good in them, imho! But I guess he is self-conscious about it. :D

Anyway, I had to dig around a bit in my photobucket but I found it here: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/princeofwales/2007/hrhwilliam/guillermo-1a.jpg (source is hola)

Last edited:
Abaca Press Americas Search Results
Look at the 6th pic
Is that the regular second LT star or not?

Look at the 5th pics
Why does it look like the 2nd Lt's rank card says something (probably Light Dragoons) and William does not say anything? That can be clearly seen in the first pic I posted.

You mean on his shoulder board insignia? Maybe the other guy is First LT or LT Cmdr. I'm not familiar with British army ranks.
I think it is a case for Skydragon. :p
Here is another "glasses" picture.
The source is The Sun. It's not as flattering to him as the Cheltenham "glasses" picture, though. It's just his expression here, with the teeth sticking out, poor guy, I mean The Sun would plaster that picture, of all the pix they can choose from, on their site? :lol:

Look at the 5th pics
Why does it look like the 2nd Lt's rank card says something (probably Light Dragoons) and William does not say anything? That can be clearly seen in the first pic I posted.
Your eyes must be good, I can barely make out anything distinct. :flowers:

The shoulder insignia (star) denotes that those in green are 2nd Lt's, I can't see what the bar says, so it could denote that he is the platoon leader on this course. Shoulder slides don't normally tell you the regiment, although they may tell you the squadron.

The chap on the right, (that nobody has noticed :)) is a colour sergeant (non commissioned officer) from The Royal Tank Regiment!

RUMOUR is rife that after Cranwell, William will be going on to Linton to continue his training on the Tucano.

Last edited:
There were photos of him arriving at the Cheltenham races in his glasses. He took them off when he got out of his car. He looked good in them, imho! But I guess he is self-conscious about it. :D

Anyway, I had to dig around a bit in my photobucket but I found it here: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/princeofwales/2007/hrhwilliam/guillermo-1a.jpg (source is hola)

Hey, C-Trio -- thanks very much! I think William looks quite nice with glasses. Please tell me he's not that vain!

By the way, if he needs glasses to drive, he also needs them (or contact lenses) to watch horse races, soccer games, etc. (I should know; I've been wearing glasses for near-sightedness for nearly 30 years!)

He looks fine in glasses...I'm surprised there haven't been more pics if he does need them for driving and stuff like that. There's always laser eye surgery though...

By the way, if he needs glasses to drive, he also needs them (or contact lenses) to watch horse races, soccer games, etc. (I should know; I've been wearing glasses for near-sightedness for nearly 30 years!)

Yeah me too, well almost 30 years, wearing glasses for near-sightedness. The photographers, I notice, didn't get pictures of him actually in the box. It's interesting. I am not sure if the press did get any photos of him actually in his friend's private box (I don't remember what friend, but some wealthy breeder, according to the Telegraph report). Didn't they only get photos of them walking around to talk to people?

Another possibility is that his near-sightedness is minor. I can tell you that mine is very severe; without glasses, I am legally blind, and I come by this because I have heavy near-sightedness from both parents. But with William, I don't think he has heavy near-sightedness on both sides. I believe The Queen uses her reading glasses when she makes speeches (this a far-sighted problem that often only comes because of advancing age). So William could have, say 20/40 or 20/50 vision and drive better with glasses, but see just fine doing normal things like walking around. I don't know. It's speculation. But just ideas..... :flowers:

Tatler has a cool feature on William's inner circle...it gives background info and other little tidbits about the Prince's posse. It also includes Harry's friends but they all seem to be mutual....

Tatler has a cool feature on William's inner circle...it gives background info and other little tidbits about the Prince's posse. It also includes Harry's friends but they all seem to be mutual....

Oh well 'Highgrove set' scoops are always a delight. It's too bad William doesn't hang out with Jimmy Tollemache anymore, not since Jimmy wooed his Arabella. :lol: Another member of the set I haven't seen in ages is that hot Etonian friend of Harry, the really handsome guy who seemed like his permanent sidekick through most of his Eton years, but after 2003ish I can't recall seeing this guy anymore. I think his name is Simon. the Team Highgrove site has him on their friends' list. Tollemache is a cutie too. Maybe the Princes eventually weed the cute ones out because there is a danger of the cuties wooing the royal gal pals away. :D They would woo me away, that's for sure! :wub:

Oh well 'Highgrove set' scoops are always a delight. It's too bad William doesn't hang out with Jimmy Tollemache anymore, not since Jimmy wooed his Arabella. :lol: Another member of the set I haven't seen in ages is that hot Etonian friend of Harry, the really handsome guy who seemed like his permanent sidekick through most of his Eton years, but after 2003ish I can't recall seeing this guy anymore. I think his name is Simon. the Team Highgrove site has him on their friends' list. Tollemache is a cutie too. Maybe the Princes eventually weed the cute ones out because there is a danger of the cuties wooing the royal gal pals away. :D They would woo me away, that's for sure! :wub:

There's one girl included that William apparently dated before Kate...named Olivia Hunt. She is not cute...the other love interest, Jecca Craig, is pretty. The Van Cutsem's too aren't bad...other than that...

So is this already a boost in his Military Duties like can they make him anything give him a medal or is this just him taking on more Royal Roles?
who will his bosses be at RAF Cranwell and the RN

Last edited by a moderator:
So is he doing a royal duty with the Navy tomrrow or not? What the duty he did up in Scotland was it to do with the Navy or not?
He look good and seemed to having fun with the kids.

I notice that his hard hat at the BAE shipyard was labelled "HRH The Prince William." I think the "the" is a mistake, albeit doubtless a small insignificant mistake. Technically, I believe the only members of the royal family with that all important "the" after the HRH are the children and consort of the Monarch.

Yes CT I Belive you are right about that "The" Thing tomorrow will he be in Uniform since he does have at least an Honororary Postion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom