Pavlos and Marie-Chantal and Family Current Events Part 9: January 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed that something seemed a bit "off" between them in Greece as well. I put it down to the stress, fatigue and sadness of the event.

I have always seen them as close, devoted and visibly in love until recently. I really hope all is well. It would be so disappointing to see things fall apart after 5 children and such a long marriage.

There was some weird body language between them during the funeral. First, there was the way MC walked around Pavlos, rather than greeting him when she arrived at the cathedral with Queen Anne-Marie. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt that she was trying to avoid drawing attention away from the queen or her husband, but Pavlos seemed surprised that she didn't greet him.

Later during the ceremony, Queen Anne-Marie reached out for her son's hand and said something to him. MC saw it and grabbed his other hand. He immediately shook loose from both of them.

No idea what it meant, but it was odd. So hard to tell when people are under stress.

I think it was ok that Marie-Chantal entered the church straight away, leaving the spotlight to the Queen, of course she could have greeted Pavlos, but I think she did good despite being very nervous. People on social media were going crazy saying that Pavlos had called her out, but that's not true, Pavlos turned around to talk to Tino, who had been waiting for his mother behind a column, since he had to walk with her.

As for the hand grabbing, some people don't like to be touched when they're feeling emotional, because that ends up pushing them over the edge. Pavlos' military training did wonders, the only day he had to behave like a real Crown Prince, he delivered, but he obviously had a lot bottled up inside, as could be seen towards the end of the eulogy. :sad:

Last edited:
I noticed that something seemed a bit "off" between them in Greece as well. I put it down to the stress, fatigue and sadness of the event.

I did notice a little tension and an incident as MC entered the cathedral with queen Ann-Marie and she seems to have walked off as Pavlos was trying to talk to her,I just put that down to tiredness or emotions at the funeral.

I have always seen them as close, devoted and visibly in love until recently. I really hope all is well. It would be so disappointing to see things fall apart after 5 children and such a long marriage.
I watched many times the video. Yes it is weird. Pavlos greated personally everyone who arrived at the Metropolis, except .... his own wife who did not stop and ran. Even Queen AM looked surprised. It is undoubted that this MC move was neither in the protocol nor expected. No idea what would be the reason, but it was quite non polied not to greet him.
And then the other gesture, while Queen Anne-Marie took and hold his son's hand, MC immediately took Pavlos other hand.
Like if she wanted to stop every connection between her husband and his mother.
Nevertheless, out of being who they are... they still remain a normal married couple with their ups and downs.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

If there would be trouble in the marriage -and that is a big IF- I would be quite surprised if they would be displaying their troubles at the doorstep of a cathedral during a funeral service of their father(in-law) and in front of a multitude of cameras and spectators. To me it seemed more that they were concerned about logistics.

For a ceremony like this, a funeral of a former head-of-state with many heads of state -and cameras- present, there would normally be a marshall of the court who would be making sure that things run smoothly. As they did not have that in Athens & the Greek government only gave the minimum of assistance, the three princes had to do much of it themselves. This perhaps added to the stress the family may have felt. I interperted MC's quick entry in the church as a wish to let Queen Anne-Marie take center stage while making sure that the usual protocol was followed.

It is likely MC saw her husband only a short time before the ceremony started, so the lack of greeting that some may perceive will look worse to us than it may be to them.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think that an hypothetical marriage crisis would reflect exactly to this MC 2 mini-behaviors. Exactly as @Marengo said in front of a camera and millions of watchers. In top of that MC never looked as the kind of person showing publicly her deep personal feelings and facts.
But I still persist that both events, especially the arrival one, are not as normally expected in this situation. Maybe MC just disagreed with the protocole and simply refused to do what expected from her to do.

Funny think:More than 60 years ago, the then, real or hypothetical love story between the late King Konstantine (then young CP) and the popular star Alki Vougiouklaki ended up when the CP entered in a theater hall, everyone stand-up except her.. who stayed sat, breaching at this moment a (then) strict protocole rule.

Going back to the actual CP couple, many opinions and articles have been written about MC and I think the major part of people, would prefer Tatiana in her position.

I know what you mean about the grandchildren, but as I said in the King Constantine thread, it's a disruptive trip for kids in school. It's a 10-hour nonstop overnight flight from New York to Athens, so practically speaking, you lose two days getting there and two days back. Then, they would have to attend the church service and the memorial the next day.

That's about a week out of school. Considering they would have missed a week or so in January for the funeral, that's a lot of time to be out of classes.

As I said in the other thread, at least the 3 eldest grandchildren have graduated from college already. They have no excuse.

Last edited:
The boys have jobs, I imagine. Employers don't just allow people to take off for a week because their grandfathers were kings.

The couple (sans kiddos) is in Athens for the memorial and Trisagion. I will not say anything about the grandchildren not attending...

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/ar...s-kai-mari-sadal-menoun-sti-megali-vretannia/

I noticed that MC left the car, went ahead to the entrance of the hotel in Athens and left her husband alone to take care οf their luggage. I didn't like such a rush. This reminds me of her odd behaviour in the cathedral during Constantine's funeral (and the relevant discussion above, here).

I noticed that MC left the car, went ahead to the entrance of the hotel in Athens and left her husband alone to take care οf their luggage. I didn't like such a rush. This reminds me of her odd behaviour in the cathedral during Constantine's funeral (and the relevant discussion above, here).
I don't think we should misinterpret her gesture. She is a very rich lady used to be served since she is born. She rushed maybe to avoid pics but mainly because she would never carry herself her luggages, especially while arriving at a luxurious hotel, she knows that a staff will take care. She carried only her handbag, inside which you can see her black Hermes Birkin Bag.
Pavlos does not carry luggages either. He carries a small sport bag which he did not give to the porter (for me this bag contains her jewelry) and a second small luggage which he gave to the Hotels porter, which luggage should also contain smt important (her habdbags?) but less than the zebra-military print luggage.
The couple will stay here at least for 5 days, do you seriously think that they travel with the luggage Pavlos carried ? No. They should have behind many and many suitcases, maybe a second car was following.

The boys have jobs, I imagine. Employers don't just allow people to take off for a week because their grandfathers were kings.
Nobody works in a daily basis. The youngest is at school, one of the oldest boys and MO are modeling and the other boy no idea what her does. Who really thinks they have ruthless employers ? A joke.
Also for the flight, I'm sure that Nina's father could easily put a jet at their disposal.
I think grandkids absences is a decision. Maybe Alexia's kids could not easily attend so they decided that no grandchild will attend.

Nobody works in a daily basis. The youngest is at school, one of the oldest boys and MO are modeling and the other boy no idea what her does. Who really thinks they have ruthless employers ? A joke.
Also for the flight, I'm sure that Nina's father could easily put a jet at their disposal.
I think grandkids absences is a decision. Maybe Alexia's kids could not easily attend so they decided that no grandchild will attend.

Given that the cathedral isn't that big and we've heard that people who weren't present at the funeral are attending the 40th day memorial it could be a choice for the grandchildren to stay away to be able to fit as many of the others as possible.

Last edited:
Given that the cathedral isn't that big and we've heard that people who weren't present at the funeral are attending the 40th day memorial it could be a choice for the grandchildren to stay away to be able to fit as many of the others as possible.
Yes it could be a possibility.
Furthermore who said that they won't attend? Just the newspaper? Wait and see.

I don't suspect anything is amiss in the Pavlos-MC marriage. I think she gave her husband and his mother the time to thank the crowd ... that's all!

In addition -- both Pavlo and MC have exactly what they want from this marriage. She has a title and he has access to money.

JMHO

Let us please get back to the topic of this thread - the family's current events. Further posts speculating on possible marital problems will be deleted without notice.

Marie-Chantal attended the 2023 ADAPT Leadership Awards at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City on March 9:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Pavlos and Marie-Chantal attended the Tribeca Ball 2023 at the New York Academy of Art on April 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Why does MC never genuflect to his mother-in-law Queen Anna Maria? At King Constantine's funeral, at the entrance of the Cathedral she did not made genuflect, Her husband tried to warn her that she should not enter the Cathedral before the Queen but.... She takes her son by the arm and they enter the cathedral, without waiting for the Queen to enter and greet her with the genuflection. When Queen Anna Maria goes to the entrance, on one side, all the people who were there, make her the gesture of genuflection, this made MC's "error" more evident. Now, at the Buckingham reception, in the video, Queen Anna Maria arrives, behind MC and her husband, and the Queen goes to greet her, they kiss twice, but MC does not genuflect again greeting her mother-in-law, however Pavlos He greets his mother with a nod. However this gesture seems ugly to me, because she is in this event by royal House.

I have been a person who admired her a lot in the past, I even gave her an example of what she should be a Princess, however as I have gotten to know her more, I have not liked her...
It is obvious that she does not have much appreciation for the Greek Royal House, however it is curious, as she attends these events, and as in the magazines she wears the title of Crown Princess, and this extends to her children, because Maria olympia, in the fashion campaigns of the brands wings that represents, these brands present her as Princess.

Last edited:
Why does MC never genuflect to his mother-in-law Queen Anna Maria? At King Constantine's funeral, at the entrance of the Cathedral she did not made genuflect, Her husband tried to warn her that she should not enter the Cathedral before the Queen but.... She takes her son by the arm and they enter the cathedral, without waiting for the Queen to enter and greet her with the genuflection. When Queen Anna Maria goes to the entrance, on one side, all the people who were there, make her the gesture of genuflection, this made MC's "error" more evident. Now, at the Buckingham reception, in the video, Queen Anna Maria arrives, behind MC and her husband, and the Queen goes to greet her, they kiss twice, but MC does not genuflect again greeting her mother-in-law, however Pavlos He greets his mother with a nod. However this gesture seems ugly to me, because she is in this event by royal House.

I have been a person who admired her a lot in the past, I even gave her an example of what she should be a Princess, however as I have gotten to know her more, I have not liked her...
It is obvious that she does not have much appreciation for the Greek Royal House, however it is curious, as she attends these events, and as in the magazines she wears the title of Crown Princess, and this extends to her children, because Maria olympia, in the fashion campaigns of the brands wings that represents, these brands present her as Princess.
I think that MC shouldn't curtsey to QAM at the funeral as they arrived together, so they have met already before, no reason to curtsey.
Secondly she shouldn't enter with the Queen, as the Queen entered last accompanied by her son CP. Everybody else entered before the Queen, main door has opened only for her, so MC should also enter before.
MC correctly entered with her son, it was her turn to go in.
Both actions for me are correct. What is no correct was that when MC arrived with the Queen and CP started greeting them, he started ofc by his mother the Queen. Then he would greet MC, but she didn't wait, she stepped forward to enter. Then Pavlos called his son to accompany her.
As for the actual scene if the pre Coronation event, i don't know, as neither CP Pavlos bowed to his mother.

Last edited:
I wonder when we will ever stop seeing these people at events.
As soon as they are alive and with good health they will attend. Out of being royals (skill is not lost.. they're also close family members)
I don't see the meaning of the question. Do you mean that since they're non ruling royal families, they shouldn't attend anymore ?

when the European Royal Houses disappear, then they will stop being invited. If the Royal Houses disappear, these events will also stop liking the people. I very much doubt that a party with the Presidents of republics, and celebrities..., raises as much expectation as the events of royal houses that it like so much to the people and magazines

Back
Top Bottom