Olympics Buckingham Palace Reception for Foreign Royals & Governments: July 27 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kbk said:
I wonder why there is no one from Poland! ...:/

Is there anyone from Poland in the UK at the moment?

I wonder why there is no one from Poland! ...:/
Maybe there just isn't a picture yet?
If Armenia managed to squeeze in, I'd imagine Polish representatives are definitely somewhere there. :)

I am not saying they should not wear anything other than a suit, and I love a man in a suit, I just find it amusing that the Royal men wear suits for years yet their women spend money on clothes all the time..
I really see no reason for not using the same clothes until they are really used and inappropriate to wear. The females also recycle.

There is a photo of Albert and Charlene arriving at Buckimgham palace on twitter royalreporter

Maybe there just isn't a picture yet?
If Armenia managed to squeeze in, I'd imagine Polish representatives are definitely somewhere there.
I'm afraid there will be no photos of any official Polish representatives at government level, only those of the Polish Olympic Committee are attending, obviously.
I found that on the Web: Update on VIPs attending the Olympic Opening Ceremony | Government Olympic Communication and there is no any Polish representative mentioned. I've also read somewhere that they are all attending as guests of honour of their national OCs and not the British. I'm sure there is the President of the Polish OC and Mrs Irena Szewinska, an IOC member from Poland who is also a legendary sprinter and seven-time Olympic medalist, including three gold medals and a six-time world record holder. But I think someone from the Polish gov. or even the President should attend and represent Poland among almost 100 other world leaders... :/ It looks pretty bad for such a big country like Poland not to send anyone?

Last edited:
Beatrice is eyeing that hat -:lol:
She is, isn't she? :D
Just to clarify, the man wearing the interesting headgear is Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Omurbek Babanov.
He is wearing a kalpak - a high-crowned cap worn by men in Kyrgyzstan, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran and Central Asia.

did princess haya of Jordan or prince Faisal attend ?

Is it me or does the dress that Mrs. Obama is wearing make her look like she's gained weight? Love the top, but the skirt isn't very flattering.

I never think Mrs. Obama looks well-dressed for anything; just don't get why she's considered a fashion icon????

(Don't get me started on those white pants! And some people criticize Kate's jeggings as too revealing!) :whistling:

IMO Michelle Obama is at her best in evening wear. I'm not much of a fan of her day wear but she has looked fabulous at some of the formal dinners.

I never think Mrs. Obama looks well-dressed for anything; just don't get why she's considered a fashion icon????

(Don't get me started on those white pants! And some people criticize Kate's jeggings as too revealing!) :whistling:

I completely agree. It looks as if she took some old curtains and a table cloth and made a dress/skirt and blouse out of them. What a way to represent one's country. Truly embarrassing.

So, it was ok for Queen Sofia to attend today's luncheon?

She attended, but she was very late and actually arrived after QEII had started giving a speech to the guests. Maybe that was the Spanish government's way of making some kind of point.

Ok I missed it...why is the Spanish government at odds with the British Government?

LaRae

The President of Argentina is not attending the Olympics because of The Falklands. Her loss, doubt she absence will upset anyone. Too bad she didn't have the good grace to get over herself and come to support her nations athletes.

Ok I missed it...why is the Spanish government at odds with the British Government?

LaRae

Same old story. Spain wants Gibraltar back but unfortunately the residents of The Rock want to remain British and not be given to Spain. They have voted against joining Spain in a couple of referendums and London won't turn them over without their approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I seem to recall that now that you explained it...thanks!

LaRae

Daria_S said:
I completely agree. It looks as if she took some old curtains and a table cloth and made a dress/skirt and blouse out of them. What a way to represent one's country. Truly embarrassing.

Wow. Completely disrespectful. Her outfit may not have been to your liking but it's beautiful to others. As for her supposedly looking like she's gained weight, they're called hips. Women around the world have them.

Wow. Completely disrespectful. Her outfit may not have been to your liking but it's beautiful to others. As for her supposedly looking like she's gained weight, they're called hips. Women around the world have them.

I didn't say a single thing about her weight. Personally, I won't care if she gained or lost any. I don't like how she dresses, period, and if others think what she's wearing is beautiful, that's their right, but I'd like to keep my right of expressing what I'm seeing. I'm not disrespecting her; only her choice in attire. I'm not a fan of this woman to begin with, but my dislike has nothing to do with what she chooses to wear to official (or unofficial) functions.

Actually I liked her outfit!
Bye Bine

She is, isn't she? :D
Just to clarify, the man wearing the interesting headgear is Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Omurbek Babanov.
He is wearing a kalpak - a high-crowned cap worn by men in Kyrgyzstan, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran and Central Asia.

And from the side view she is the spitting image of her mother.
BYe Bine

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post. Michelle Obama is a fabulous representative of US born and/or situated designers. She looks great and the outfit she wore for the reception was perfect for the occassion.

Actually, she didn't look too bad compared to her last appearance in day clothes at the Palace. She does tend to look better dressed in evening clothes, but at least her outfit today was fairly age appropriate.

Daria_S said:
I didn't say a single thing about her weight. Personally, I won't care if she gained or lost any. I don't like how she dresses, period, and if others think what she's wearing is beautiful, that's their right, but I'd like to keep my right of expressing what I'm seeing. I'm not disrespecting her; only her choice in attire. I'm not a fan of this woman to begin with, but my dislike has nothing to do with what she chooses to wear to official (or unofficial) functions.

As far as her weight, I was responding to Other posts, not yours.

It's of course your opinion and the right to express it, but I find it incredibly disrespectful that you equate your opinion of her style/fashion with the way she represents her country. That is uncalled for and may be based on other feelings you may hold about her.

Let's please get back to the topic of this thread - this is not a fashion thread for Michelle Obama!

Back
Top Bottom