Names for Willem-Alexander and Maxima's 3rd child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LaPlusBelle said:
Wouldn't it be nice if the baby were born on Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday?

I think that would be an amazing bithdaypresent. Definitely the best. When is his birthday?

Princess Maxima said:
April 27th

I'm hoping for a little sooner than that, but it would be really awesome for the baby to be born on Willem-Alexander's birthday.:flowers: By the way I love your signature. I had never seen that quote before.

Aurora810 said:
Is there any type of protocol that needs to be followed for the baby's name? Just curious!

I'm curious about that too...and can someone please explain the reason why each royal has four or five names?:wacko:

I'm very sure that there is no protocol about the names.

usually they get a "calling" name the surname
and they have names of the godparent(s) in their name

with all respect to our english speaking members, but is don't think (i am almost sure) the the child will get an english name like Avril, Ros etc.

Laraw said:
with all respect to our english speaking members, but is don't think (i am almost sure) the the child will get an english name like Avril, Ros etc.

I agree;) but I also don't think they'll pick a very dutch name

Princess Maxima said:
I agree;) but I also don't think they'll pick a very dutch name
Maxima should choose a name that sounds nice in Spanish and Dutch

I have no idea, but there are some names we can skip from our lists, because they have been used for cousins.
These names include:
Isabella (Van Vollenhoven)
Anna (Van Lippe Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven)
Lucas (Van Lippe Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven)
Emma (Van Vollenhoven)

I don't think they would call a son George, because that is not a Dutch name and I think it would be controversial because Maxima's father's name is Jorge, the Spanish version of George. Another names they will not choose are Margarita (the controversial cousin of Willem-Alexander) and Alicia (Alexia already bears the name of a bastard child of prince Bernhard, and to give a third daughter the name of the other bastard is quite odd)
Nicolaas (Dutch version of Nicholas) would be nice, because Claus is a pet form of Nicolaas. However, Nicolaas sounds old-fashioned for a Dutch person like me. For a girl I would like Sophie/ Sophia, after Princess Sophie of the Netherlands, the favorite aunt of Queen Wilhelmina.

Last edited:
Verde Esmeralda said:
I'm curious about that too...and can someone please explain the reason why each royal has four or five names?:wacko:

I don't really know but in C-A case she has 5 names and Alexia and the family calls her Ama:lol:

Wow- going through this thread last night, I found, after eliminating the repeats, that we have listed 99 male names, and 129 female ones. They run from Zara to Hedwig, Letizia to Sietske; and from Wouter to Aart, from Aaron to Marc Anthony, and from Brian to Tjaard.
The big repeats were Willem, Claus, Julius/Julian, Maximillian, Aurora, Aurelia, Anna/Anne, Juliana, and Maria/Marie/Mary.

Aaron___________________Aart________________Adriaan______________Adrion
Alexander________Alexander-Bernhard__________Andreus_____________Anthony
August__________________Aurel_______________Bernhard____________Bernard
Brian___________________Carl_________________Casimir_____________Caspar
Charles________________Claudius_______________Claus____________Claus-Hendrik
Claus-Maximiliaan________Eduard________________Erik_______________Ferdinand
Filip____________________Floris________________Francien____________Frederik
Frederik-Alexander______Friederich______________Friso_______________Georg
George_________________Gerard______________Gerhard_______________Gert
Guillermo_______________Hans_______________Hans Pieter___________Hendrik
Henrik_________________Hergé________________Henry________________Jakob
John___________________Jorge_________________Jos__________________Juan
Juan-Friso______________Julian________________Julius_________________Karel
Kees_________________Klaas______________Klaus-Alexander____________Kofi
Lodewijk______________Leopold________________Louis_________________Maarten
Marc_________________Marc Anthony_________Marc Aurel______________Martijn
Maurice______________Maurits_______________Maximilian/Maximillian____Maximo
Nicolaas_______________Olivier________________Paul__________________Peter
Piet___________________Pieter_________________Pluk___________________Reindert
Rene_________________Reyndert_____________Sebastiaan_______________Theodor
Theodorus______________Tijn__________________Tjaard__________________Victor
Walram________________Wilhelm_______________Willem________________Willemjn
Willem-Maximilian_______William________________Wim__________________Wouter
(pardon the underscores-it's the only way I could get the formatting to work!)

:bunny: Which will the choose? :bunny:

Last edited:
Adelaida_________________Adela____________________Adeleide
Adelia___________________Adelle____________________Adelheid
Adheleid_________________Adria____________________Adriana
Agnes___________________Alatea___________________Alejandra
Alexandra________________Agnes___________________Alexandrine
Alia_____________________Alicia____________________Alicia-Sophia
Allegra__________________Alyson___________________Amaryllis
Amilia_________________Ana Milena_________________Anastasia
Andrea_________________Angeles___________________Anika
Aniela___________________Anna____________________Annabelle
Anna-Maria_______________Anne____________________Antonia
April___________________Arabella___________________Ariane
Arianna________________Armgard___________________Aspasia
Astrid__________________Augusta___________________Aurelia
Aurora _________________Avalon____________________Avril
Beatrix_________________Caecilia___________________Carolina
Caroline _______________Catherine__________________Charlotte
Christina________________Claudia___________________Constantina
Dolores________________Dorothea___________________Elena
Eleonore____________Elisabeth/Elizabeth______________Eugenia
Emanuelle-Antonia________Emilia____________________Emma
Emma-Sophie____________Ethel_____________________Florencia
Frederica_______________Henrika____________________Helena
Hilda__________________Ines/Inez___________________Isabella
Isobel___________________Jane_____________________Josephine
Julia___________________Juliana____________________Kate
Katlijn__________________Klara_____________________Katrina
Leonore________________Letizia_____________________Liese
Liesel__________________Louisa_____________________Louise
Louise-Henriette_________Lucia______________________Mabel
Margarita_____________Margriet_____________________Maria
Marianne_______________Marie_____________________Marit
Martha________________Martine____________________Mary
Mary Ana______________Mathilde____________________Matilda
Maureen_______________Maxima____________________Maximiliana
Maxime________________Maxine____________________Mina
Nienke_________________Olivia_____________________Paula
Pauline_________________Renate____________________Rose
Sietske_________________Silvia_____________________Sophia
Sophia-Hedwig__________Sophie____________________Thea
Theodocia_____________Theodora___________________Theresa
Theresia______________Wilhelmina__________________Zara

I have some questions about Dutch female monarch's names and just naming Dutch babies in general. I was looking around for a thread for my questions and I couldn't really find one so hopefully my questions aren't totally inappropriate for this thread.

Anyways, after reading a past thread when Catharina was just born. It discussed that she will be the first Dutch queen to not carry the name Wilhelmina. I know Q. Beatrix has the name Wilhelmina as her second name. But I'm wondering about the history of the names of the Dutch female monarchs. Is there any signficance to Beatrix's name or Catharina's name? Or even Juliana's name? When naming a future female monarch are they more open to different names in the Netherlands?

Other questions I have: How much does history play a part in naming Dutch babies, female and male? Going along with that question I'm also wondering had W-A and Maxima had a boy first would it's name definitely had been Willem? Also how much does the origin of the name matter, do they tend to stick with popular Dutch names? Or what if with this baby Maxima wants a name that represents her culture more, how would that go over in the Netherlands?

Last edited:
From Lady K's list, I would pick Katlijn or Elizabeth for a girl, and I stick to Claus-Maximiliaan, as I did before in some other post. Maximiliaan Claus would also do, because there is also another prince with Claus as first name (Claus-Casimir)

rosana said:
Maxima should choose a name that sounds nice in Spanish and Dutch

I absolutely agree on that. After all, everyone calls Catharina-Amalia 'Amalia', which actually serves this purpose very well...

Actually I believe it's Count Claus-Casimir, he's not a prince. Or at least that's how he's listed. But I really don't understand why he wouldn't be a prince, but maybe someone more aware than I can explain that. I lilke Claus-Maximilian it sounds good and Maxima's name is kind of represented in there which is only fair after Alexia was sort of named after W-A.

This will be fun once the baby is born to see if it's name was suggested in this thread.

Alexander- Frederich Ferdinand Georg Maximus

So far, Amalia and Alexia both had a name that had a was out of the royal family (Beatrix and Juliana) and a name from Máxima's side of family (Carmen and Marcela).
I think they will continue with this pattern.

lilytornado said:
So far, Amalia and Alexia both had a name that had a was out of the royal family (Beatrix and Juliana) and a name from Máxima's side of family (Carmen and Marcela).
I think they will continue with this pattern.

Yes, and this time (if its a girl) they'll probably add Inés(from Máxima's side) and Wilhemina(from W-A's side)

Aurora810 said:
Actually I believe it's Count Claus-Casimir, he's not a prince. Or at least that's how he's listed. But I really don't understand why he wouldn't be a prince, but maybe someone more aware than I can explain that. I lilke Claus-Maximilian it sounds good and Maxima's name is kind of represented in there which is only fair after Alexia was sort of named after W-A.

This will be fun once the baby is born to see if it's name was suggested in this thread.

You're right Aurora810, he's a Count and not a Prince.

And yes, once he or she is born, we will all be going through our previous posts to see whether we were right or not, and then quote ourselves to claim... "I was right!" :ROFLMAO:

Princess Maxima said:
If its a boy, my choices still are Máximo or Maximillian.. :rolleyes:
Alexia is for Willem-Alexnader's name, and now its Maxima's turn:ROFLMAO:
Well, Maximilan would be okay.. but MAXIMO? :ohmy: To my european ears this name sounds funny and not serious at all.
Especially for a Dutch Prince.... I think they have to take a name that sounds ok in Europe, too.
I agree that it is Maxima's turn now.. but they should take a spanish name that exists in the Netherlands, too...

Arthur Andrew Georg Albert Emmanual Hendrik

Princess_Beatrix said:
Well, Maximilan would be okay.. but MAXIMO? :ohmy: To my european ears this name sounds funny and not serious at all.
Especially for a Dutch Prince.... I think they have to take a name that sounds ok in Europe, too.
I agree that it is Maxima's turn now.. but they should take a spanish name that exists in the Netherlands, too...

Indeed princess_Beatrix, it sounds like the name of a circus to my European ears. But these days the weirdest names are given to children by their parents, also in The Netherlands. Compared to some of those 'Maximo' isn't to horrid.

Wonderful suggestions thus far! I did some family research (Family names are always the best) and I like these:

Princess Beatrix Eloise Margriet
Prince Ernst Aschwine Friedrich

When CP Maxima and CP Wilhelm-Alexander are going to finde a name for their new member of their family i have som names for them:

Girl: Trixi Louise Sofia Margrethe Christina
Trixi is after her grandmother the Queen, Louise was one of late Queen Ingrid of Denmark names, Sofia is after the Queen in Spain, Magrethe is from Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Christina is also from Spain :)

Boy: Benjamin Claus Frederik Alexander Willem
Benjamin just because i like it and because it is on of the names in Princess Alexandras of Berleburgs husbands names, Claus is from his grandfarther, Frederik is after CP Frederik of Denmark and Alexander-Willem is from his dad just in another direction.:)

Last edited:
I'm sure that a boy will have Claus as one of his names.:)

H.M. Margrethe said:
When CP Maxima and CP Wilhelm-Alexander are going to finde a name for their new member of their family i have som names for them:

Girl: Trixi Louise Sofia Margrethe Christina
Trixi is after her grandmother the Queen, Louise was one of late Queen Ingrid of Denmark names, Sofia is after the Queen in Spain, Magrethe is from Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Christina is also from Spain :)

Boy: Benjamin Claus Frederik Alexander Willem
Benjamin just because i like it and because it is on of the names in Princess Alexandras of Berleburgs husbands names, Claus is from his grandfarther, Frederik is after CP Frederik of Denmark and Alexander-Willem is from his dad just in another direction.:)

why do you think they will choose danish names? i would find it quite odd if they started to use nemes from the danish royal family instead of the dutch royal family.
I cant wait to see the little baby :flowers:

betina said:
why do you think they will choose danish names? i would find it quite odd if they started to use nemes from the danish royal family instead of the dutch royal family.
I cant wait to see the little baby :flowers:

There were a lots of Frederiks in the Orange-Nassaus (Frederik-Hendrik Prince of Orange, King Willem I Frederik of the Netherlands, Prince Frederik (father of Queen Lovisa of Sweden) etc.)

Henri(k) of course is a very frequent name as Hendrik.

There also is a Christian at the moment: Johan Friso Christiaan Bernhard David Prince of Orange-Nassau (the Queen's second son).

Margrethe comes back in Princess Margriet which is exactly the same name.

Marie/Mary has been worn by many Orange ladies

Even Benedikte is used for the third child of Marilène, in the French way: Bénédicte.

:flowers:

Frederich Albert Maximillian Willem Georg Nikolas
Girl
Ines - Wilhelmina Mary Ingrid Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom