King Carl XVI Gustaf's Golden Jubilee Year 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am curious why Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar are standing while Prince Carl Philip's older sons and Princess Madeleine's daughters are seated next to the King and Queen in a more central position in the picture.

News of the Jubilee celebrations have brought home to me, today of all days remembering Queen Elizabeth, that it is theoretically possible for Carl Gustav to have a future Diamond and even Platinum Jubilee, and for him to surpass Elizabeth's 70 year reign and even Louis X1V's 72 year reign, to become the longest reigning European monarch. Good health to him!

The photos have been taken on 19th June.

The celebration of the Jubilee has been going on throughout the year in the form of county trips to all 21 counties. In addition, a big Jubilee weekend awaits with, among other things, an anniversary dinner in the Hall of State and a cortege through Stockholm.
However, the King and the royal family will not have a private celebration.
Margareta Thorgren explains that the celebration of the King's Jubilee differs from, for example, the celebration of birthdays, where it is more common to also include a celebration with the immediate family. The King's 50 years on the throne is an anniversary that is recognized and celebrated officially.
Thorgren says that the celebration rather applies to the entire Swedish people: "An anniversary where we celebrate Sweden's monarch for 50 years is a matter that concerns all Swedish people and official Sweden. The joint celebration from the county administrations with the county visits, has been absolutely fantastic".
The First Marshal of the Court Göran Lithell says: "The very starting point for the entire planning work was that the King himself has been keen from the start that this really is the Head of State's official celebration, rather than the private person's celebration of 50 years on the throne".
Kungens val – därför blir det inget privat firande _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Review: "The King 50 years on the throne - a biography" by Roger Lundgren
This autumn, the king celebrates 50 years on the throne. Roger Lundgren has written a eulogy - which at the same time does not sweep everything under the carpet. A book for everyone with a special interest in the royal house according to GP's Martina Montelius. At the same time, she searches in vain for gaps to what she really wonders about.(...)
In interviews, the monarch appears to be completely horrified at the mere thought of having to expose his feelings. His inner reality. Being comprehensible as a public figure is impossible today if you can't talk at least a little about such things, and Crown Princess Victoria, for example, is a master at balancing office with being mandatorily human.
The king fits into the new world just as badly as any other from the 1940s. But his family history, including Nazi stench and poor Prince Bertil's love life with Lilian, is the subject of worldwide interest. Forever!
Lundgren's book is difficult to review, because it is in itself a bit like the king. Here and there a little casually intimate, like when Carl Gustaf teaches the former prince, now King Charles, to ski, or Silvia had to go to her first birth wearing a wig.
Recension_ ”Kungen 50 år på tronen – en biografi” av Roger Lundgren _ GP

The Jubilee Concert at the Karlstad Cathedral at yesterday's county visit

About the King's clothes:
King Carl Gustaf's style journey - from bachelor to today
King Carl XIV Gustaf's style journey begins in youthful glamor and ends... Yes, where? Join us on a royal journey through half a century that offers the jet set, costume excellence, style mistakes and ... Color explosion!
Kung Carl Gustafs stilresa –*från ungkarl till i dag _ Damernas Värld

Last edited:
Last edited:
The positioning of the photo with whole family's seems odd to me.

Love that photo of the King and his heiresses.

Yes it’s a lovely photo but something about the positioning is off to me too! I can’t quite put my finger on it.

That explains why they did not release a family photograph this summer: this lovely photograph was in the offing (and the three-generation portrait is very nice too).

I only wish there could have been a portrait with the King and his sister, to honor their acknowledged support of him throughout his reign (especially Princess Christina), but I understand that their ages make it impractical.

About the King's clothes:
King Carl Gustaf's style journey - from bachelor to today
King Carl XIV Gustaf's style journey begins in youthful glamor and ends... Yes, where? Join us on a royal journey through half a century that offers the jet set, costume excellence, style mistakes and ... Color explosion!
Kung Carl Gustafs stilresa –*från ungkarl till i dag _ Damernas Värld

Was/is the King seen as stylish by the general public? I know that the Queen is.

The jubilee exhibition in 360°
Discover the jubilee exhibition digitally in 360°! Step into the major exhibition Vasa to Bernadotte, 1523 –1973 –2023. Culture in Service of the Realm and experience 500 years of royal history.
Visit the exhibition from home
The digital version of the exhibition is now available (texts are in Swedish, the English version will be published later in September).
The jubilee exhibition in 360° - Kungliga slotten

I only wish there could have been a portrait with the King and his sister, to honor their acknowledged support of him throughout his reign (especially Princess Christina), but I understand that their ages make it impractical.

Christina may have supported him, but I don't think she would wish to be singled out from her other sisters now, and it's equally impractical to get all five of them together, it seems.

Was/is the King seen as stylish by the general public? I know that the Queen is.

I think the point of the article is that the King was surprisingly stylish as a younger man (even if one photo is amusingly presumably-mistranslated as "nobody could look less cool"), but then when his children got older he seemed to fall into "embarrassing dad" and "overly formal", and now that he can dress for himself and not as a father again, his clothes are a bit sharper, and he is wearing a lot more color.

(Silvia wasn't/is not always seen as stylish; according to Swedish posters here she was seen as overdressing her children 40 years ago and baffling people.)

Will the offfices and Schools be closed for the King's Jubilee days ?

Yes it’s a lovely photo but something about the positioning is off to me too! I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Really like the family photo with everyone in it, the grandkids have grown so much ❤️

but i do get the remarks about positioning and i don't know exactly what it is either...maybe the adults standing are all such similar height they almost seem editted? i mean, they probably are pretty similar height wise anyway, but maybe a little bit more variation would have worked better, maybe have Leonore standing too, or Estelle between her parents or Julian sitting between his grandparents...

The planning for the King's Jubilee celebration has been going on for two years. Many have been involved in the preparations, including several members of the royal family.
- The Crown Princess couple have been very strongly involved, says the First Marshal of the Court Göran Lithell.
Lithell was tasked two years ago with holding together the planning for the Jubilee year. When they started, they partly looked a little at what has been done on previous occasions.
Lithell says there has been a great commitment from everyone. Carl Philip was the chairman of the jury in the design competition where students participated to produce an emblem for the royal Jubilee year. That was the main visual theme for the year, apart from the portrait of the King. The Crown Princess couple have been very strongly involved. Princess Christina, with her experience and wisdom, has also been involved.
Prinsessan Christinas stöd till kungen inför firandet _ Kungligt _ Expressen

I love the group photo. And I think a lot of thought went into the seating/standing arrangement. Because all the boys/men are wearing black, I think looks really nice to have CP's oldest two next to Silvia and Madeleine's girls (especially as they wear identical dresses) next to CG (although it would've looked even better if CG had his arm around Leonore the way Silvia has hers around Alexander).

Victoria, Sofia and Estelle all look stunning, but I wish they had chosen blueish notes too – that would've given a wonderful balance to the photo but overall, I think it's a wonderful picture.

Don't understand why people want Estelle and Oscar centred. It's a family photo, the photo of CG with his heirs in the ceremonial photo. Much prefer it to the group photo of the DRF released for QMII's jubilee last year.

Really like the family photo with everyone in it, the grandkids have grown so much ❤️

but i do get the remarks about positioning and i don't know exactly what it is either...maybe the adults standing are all such similar height they almost seem editted? i mean, they probably are pretty similar height wise anyway, but maybe a little bit more variation would have worked better, maybe have Leonore standing too, or Estelle between her parents or Julian sitting between his grandparents...

The adults standing are all of similar height with only a few centimetres apart when the women have high heels.
The photo of the King, Victoria and Estelle is fantastic. But I don't like the family photo. It's shade is too dark and it is strange that Estelle and Oscar are so far away from their parents, as the other children are close to their parents. The photo would have been better if all grandchildren except Estelle would have been sitting so that Oscar would have sat between the King and Queen in front of Victoria and Daniel and Estelle would have stood between her parents behind Oscar. Since the group photo is an official one published due to the Jubilee and not a family photo taken in the summer holiday, it could have been done much better.

Princess Birgitta has given a large interview to Expressen (paywall article).
The sisters' health problems mean that they cannot be there when the King celebrates 50 years on the throne.
Now Princess Birgitta, 86, talks about her sisters' call to little brother "Charlie".
- If he feels that way, of course he can give up, she says about the King's future as regent.
Prinsessan Birgitta om kungen_ ”Stackars kille – han får ge upp”

Hänt Magazine quotes Birgitta's interview in Expressen
Birgitta announces that she has unfortunately turned down the celebration. The reason is the loyalty to hers sisters. Desirée and Margaretha's health is struggling. Something that makes them unable to make the trip to Stockholm. Then Birgitta doesn't want to go either:
- They can't go. Desirée had meningitis, so she should probably be happy that she's alive, but Margaretha is only old and has had a few things too, of course, and is having a hard time. Age takes its toll.
Birgitta says that it is out of the question to go without her sisters. Because she feels lonely without them.
- I hope people understand. Supporting Sweden and my brother is the most important thing to me. I had waited so long for it and wanted to be a part of it. It was a difficult decision. It hurts my soul.
Christina asked Birgitta, if she is not enough as a companion, and Birgitta said:
- I told my sister that I feel a little lonely without Margaretha and Desirée, and then she said "But I'm still there" and then I said "Yes, of course you are, but we big kids stick together. And I think that's very nice".
Därför missar hagasessorna kungens 50-års jubileum _ Hänt

Last edited:
HM The King - 50 years on the throne
Friday 15 September marks 50 years since Carl XVI Gustaf became the King of Sweden. SVT broadcasts live on September 15 and 16 with program host Yvette Hermundstad, who guides viewers through the Jubilee celebration together with guests and experts from the Grand Hôtel. Commentators are Ted Wigren and royal expert Roger Lundgren.
SVT's broadcasts from the Jubilee days:
H. M. Konungen – 50 år på tronen _ SVT Kontakt

The adults standing are all of similar height with only a few centimetres apart when the women have high heels.
The photo of the King, Victoria and Estelle is fantastic. But I don't like the family photo. It's shade is too dark and it is strange that Estelle and Oscar are so far away from their parents, as the other children are close to their parents. The photo would have been better if all grandchildren except Estelle would have been sitting so that Oscar would have sat between the King and Queen in front of Victoria and Daniel and Estelle would have stood between her parents behind Oscar. Since the group photo is an official one published due to the Jubilee and not a family photo taken in the summer holiday, it could have been done much better.

Princess Birgitta has given a large interview to Expressen (paywall article).
The sisters' health problems mean that they cannot be there when the King celebrates 50 years on the throne.
Now Princess Birgitta, 86, talks about her sisters' call to little brother "Charlie".
- If he feels that way, of course he can give up, she says about the King's future as regent.
Prinsessan Birgitta om kungen_ ”Stackars kille – han får ge upp”

Hänt Magazine quotes Birgitta's interview in Expressen
Birgitta announces that she has unfortunately turned down the celebration. The reason is the loyalty to hers sisters. Desirée and Margaretha's health is struggling. Something that makes them unable to make the trip to Stockholm. Then Birgitta doesn't want to go either:
- They can't go. Desirée had meningitis, so she should probably be happy that she's alive, but Margaretha is only old and has had a few things too, of course, and is having a hard time. Age takes its toll.
Birgitta says that it is out of the question to go without her sisters. Because she feels lonely without them.
- I hope people understand. Supporting Sweden and my brother is the most important thing to me. I had waited so long for it and wanted to be a part of it. It was a difficult decision. It hurts my soul.
Christina asked Birgitta, if she is not enough as a companion, and Birgitta said:
- I told my sister that I feel a little lonely without Margaretha and Desirée, and then she said "But I'm still there" and then I said "Yes, of course you are, but we big kids stick together. And I think that's very nice".
Därför missar hagasessorna kungens 50-års jubileum _ Hänt

I think that is all quite upsetting actually. Leave your one sister alone and don’t turn up for your brothers celebrations because you may feel lonely. I mean it’s not my business but if that was my family I would be upset.

That's indeed very harsh. The fact itself and especially making it public knowledge that you not only turned down your brother's invitation but also ignored your younger sister's plea. The comment that supporting Sweden and her brother is the most important thing to her sounds hollow if your actions and explanation show otherwise.

So glad for Carl Gustaf that at least one of his sisters has always supported him. I am sure Christina's constaant support is appreciated by the king, his immediate family and the Swedish people.

I think that is all quite upsetting actually. Leave your one sister alone and don’t turn up for your brothers celebrations because you may feel lonely. I mean it’s not my business but if that was my family I would be upset.

The King and his four sisters had some nice days together at Solliden in the end of July, when all the King's four sisters visited their brother and other members of the royal family at Solliden. The royal family will not have a private celebration of the King's 50 years on the throne this week. And princess Christina will not be alone, she has her husband beside her.

Princess Birgitta is an eccentric character and I don’t think her ramblings always translate well. In a recent documentary she quite melodramatically declared that she doesn’t think the five siblings will ever meet again. This summer’s get-together tells another story. So I’d take her inteviews with a pinch of salt.

The Danish Royal Family will be using the Royal Ship Dannebrog this week for the celebrations.

"On Thursday 14 September, the Queen, the Crown Prince Couple and Queen Anne-Marie will take part in a jubilee performance at Drottningsholm's Slottsteater with subsequent reception at Drottningsholm's Castle.

On Friday 15 September, the Queen, the Crown Prince Couple and Queen Anne-Marie will participate in the morning in a thanksgiving service, Te Deum, in the Royal Church of the Royal Palace. The castle followed by the changing of the guard and a song tribute to the King. The castle. In the evening, the Queen, the Crown Prince Couple and Queen Anne-Marie participate in a jubilee banquet at Royal Palace. The castle.

During the visit to Stockholm, the royal family will stay on the Royal Ship Dannebrog."

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/m...gustaf-af-sveriges-50-aars-regeringsjubilaeum

The Royal Court at its Instagram
"Thanks for 21 fantastic county visits!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxDfBGhqQuS/

Expressen:
A royal life – 50 years in pictures
Children, weddings and grandchildren.
Award ceremonies, Olympic gold and holidays.
But also great speeches to a people who needed a unifying force.
Carl XVI Gustaf experienced that, and much more, during his first 50 years as King of Sweden.
Kungen 50 år på tronen – kungens liv i bilder

Carl XVI Gustaf has ruled Sweden longer than anyone else. How does he view his mission and the role of the monarchy? In an exclusive interview, he tells Fokus about it. Plus some other things.
Carl XVI Gustaf_ _Vi representerar utan politisk baktanke_ - Fokus

Finnish magazine Apu:
From an orphan to the head of the Swedish court - Carl XVI Gustaf's 50 years as king are full of glory and scandals
Kaarle XVI Kustaa _ Orpopojan matka Ruotsin kuninkaaksi _ Apu

Last edited:
That's indeed very harsh. The fact itself and especially making it public knowledge that you not only turned down your brother's invitation but also ignored your younger sister's plea. The comment that supporting Sweden and her brother is the most important thing to her sounds hollow if your actions and explanation show otherwise.

So glad for Carl Gustaf that at least one of his sisters has always supported him. I am sure Christina's constaant support is appreciated by the king, his immediate family and the Swedish people.

Princess Birgitta has always been the most eccentric of the siblings…. Much more so than her favourite sisters Margaretha and Desirée (neither of whom has had any issues attending various royal events without Birgitta being there, haha)

Her recent egocentric comments comes off as very cold and rude towards her youngest sister - but she have always been that way so i don’t think The King and Princess Christina takes any offence… They are more than likely used to Birgittas erratic rants

She has not lived in Sweden since 1961 and has never done anything to help her brother with any official engagements so she hardly has any reason to show up except that it would be nice for her 2 youngest siblings to see her…

However she loves to give interviews about how much charity work she does (from abroad) but if it doesn’t include playing Golf in the sun, she is not interested ;)

Last edited:
Will there only be broadcasting from SVT2 from 19.30 at friday?
There are not much in the TV-programme...
Anyone know?

Will there only be broadcasting from SVT2 from 19.30 at friday?
There are not much in the TV-programme...
Anyone know?

I have posted to this thread SVT's press release of the broadcasts. They are also shown at SVT Play.
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...jubilee-year-2023-a-49293-13.html#post2570000

SVT Play and SVT1 Friday 15 September at 09.50–14.00: H. M. The King – 50 years on the throne: Te Deum, Changing of the Guard and Musical tribute. Between the Jubilee activities, host Yvette Hermundstad talks to guests and experts.

SVT Play and SVT1 Friday 15 September at 19.20–19.30: H.M. The King's Jubilee speech - 50 years on the throne

SVT Play and SVT2 Friday 15 September at 19.30–21.00: H.M. The King – 50 years on the throne: Speech from the Jubilee dinner and summary from today's Jubilee celebration. Continues on SVT24 from 21.00 to 21.40.

SVT Play and SVT1 Saturday 16 September at 13.30–17.50: H.M. The King – 50 years on the throne: Cortege and the city of Stockholm's tribute concert.

SVT Play and SVT2 Saturday 16 September at 17.50–18.30: H.M. The King – 50 years on the throne: Stockholm's tribute concert continues. Between the Jubilee activities, host Yvette Hermundstad talks to guests and experts.

SVT Play and SVT1 Saturday 16 September at 20:00-21:00: H.M. The King - 50 years on the throne: Summary of the two days' celebrations

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia today at a reception for organizations at the Royal Palace.
ANP gallery
Profimedia gallery

Central Association for the Promotion of Sports in Sweden handed over a bust representing Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and the Min stora dag Foundation brought nice balloons and a teddy bear.
Otroliga gåvorna till kungen – se glädjefyllda bilderna! _*Svensk Dam

Court website
The King and Queen, Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip, Sofia, Madeleine and princess Christina with Tord Magnuson attended today at the Royal Palace an event where The Royal Court's staff gave a gift to the King on the occasion of the 50th anniversary on the throne.
The Royal Court's staff had collected funds to be able to erect two of the King's monograms at the gates to Logården. The two new monograms are placed on each side of Logården's gate with Karl XIV Johan's monogram.
Hovet uppvaktade Kungen inför 50-årsjubileet _ Kungahuset
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...ElYRtcJEeiLqeA2E2cQa5qNG6O9_QlY2w&oe=65071EBC

In the afternoon The Riksdag and government presented an official gift to H.M. The King. Queen Silvia, Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip, Madeleine and princess Christina with Tord Magnuson were there too.

Court website
On September 13, Speaker Andreas Norlén and Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson presented a gift to the King on the occasion of the 50th anniversary on the throne.
The Riksdag's and the government's gift to the King is an eight square meter tapestry that will hang in the Royal Palace's western staircase. The fabric is made after a watercolor by artist Lars Lerin with the title "Sten i vatten" (A Stone in the water).
Frida Lindberg has bee the artistic director and the weavers have been Ebba Bergström and Tova Vibrandt at Alice Lund Textilier.
The western staircase is the staircase used by tourists visiting the Royal Palace. The stairs are also used to receive foreign heads of state in connection with state visits.
Riksdag och regering uppvaktade Kungen inför 50-årsjubileet _ Kungahuset

ANP gallery
Profimedia gallery

Victoria och Madeleine strålar! Se nya bilderna från slottet _*Svensk Dam

- I am very happy. And I am convinced that everyone who visits the Palace will be equally happy about this, said the king at the ceremony.
Speaker Andreas Norlén and Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson presented the work of art – an eight square meter tapestry made after a watercolor by Lars Lerin – in one of Royal Palace stairwells.
Also present were, among others, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Princess Madeleine, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Christina.
- You can feel the weight of time in the stairwell. The choice of gift shows our desire to highlight and support Swedish art and Swedish handicrafts, an important part of our country's cultural heritage and cultural life, said Andreas Norlén.
Lars Lerin told TT in connection with the ceremony that he thinks the weavers captured his original painting well.
- They have spent two thousand hours on this and really translated my colors in the watercolor to the fabric.
Lerin explained that he tried to depict how time passes while some things remain, like a stone in water.
Kungens gåva – konstverk av Lars Lerin – Sydsvenskan

People writing their congratulations to the King at the Royal Palace today.
https://www.bohuslaningen.se/images...PpoO9O0yAl78Os-WIDE.jpg?width=1920&quality=75

The royal ship KS Norge at the Skeppsbron quay in Stockholm, ahead of this weekend's celebration of King Carl Gustaf's 50 years on the throne.
ANP gallery

The Danish royal yacht Dannebrog lies at Skeppsbron quay in Stockholm, ahead of this weekend's celebration of King Carl Gustaf's 50 years on the throne.
ANP gallery

Last edited:
Lovely to see the Royal Yacht’s ”Dannebrog” and ”Norge” arriving to Stockholm this morning, to house the Danish RF/Greek Queen and The Norwegian RF during the jubilee this weekend :)

Princess Birgitta has always been the most eccentric of the siblings…. Much more so than her favourite sisters Margaretha and Desirée (neither of whom has had any issues attending various royal events without Birgitta being there, haha)

Her recent egocentric comments comes off as very cold and rude towards her youngest sister - but she have always been that way so i don’t think The King and Princess Christina takes any offence… They are more than likely used to Birgittas erratic rants

She has not lived in Sweden since 1961 and has never done anything to help her brother with any official engagements so she hardly has any reason to show up except that it would be nice for her 2 youngest siblings to see her…

However she loves to give interviews about how much charity work she does (from abroad) but if it doesn’t include playing Golf in the sun, she is not interested ;)

She sounds delightful.

Back
Top Bottom