General News & Information about Haakon,Mette-Marit & Family 1: July 2014 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday it was 50 years since Martin Luther King Jr. died. Crown Prince Haakon is one of many who has been inspired by Dr. King's thoughts of hope, equality and dignity. Watch video.

Thanks for the video, eya! :flowers:

Here are the same words in english:
Crown Prince Haakon Reflects on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - Global Dignity Video

----------------

Wouldn't that raise criticism with the Norwegian people: she cannot work but she is fine going on holiday in Mexico?!

(and flying isn't one of the best things to do if you have equilibrium issues)

Criticism with the Norwegian people?

No, it won't. - Why? Because she's been there on an extended Easter vacation due to her minor surgical procedure last month (nothing to criticize IMO).

And, then a question from me to myself:

Will she receive criticism from the Norwegian media?

No, I don't think so. - Why? Due to the same reasons as stated above:

--------------------

I'm going to write a post about the Marius issue later - probably in his own thread.

MM is on holiday in tulum, mexico:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhK63GRAg7R/?taken-by=saragalindoo

i just don't understand why she always has a range of medical issues during work periods, but then we see her on holiday a lot more than many other royals. i like MM, but at times i just can't help but wonder...

As I understand this photo has been taken during the royal family´s easter holidays. So there´s nothing wrong about it.
The CPss has been seen a lot during sickness periods while doing her royal engagements without talking about it. Afterwards, I guess after her doctors decided to put her on a sick leave or intervened medically, the public was informed about it. MM doesn´t give me the impression of not wanting to work at all, but is a bit unlucky in life when it comes to health.

:previous: I agree, the holiday is during the Easter break so it's not a problem - there are a lot of royals taking time off to travel at this time of year; with or without health problems. And scrolling through this thread it does seem that MM has been more active in her engagements lately, especially last month.

it emerged that gwyneth paltrow is having her bachelorette party also in mexico (in los cabos) these days too. is it possible that MM joined? i know they get along well and have been pictured together in the past.

hi, sombody known wher can I see the travels of this prince and princess to Thailand? I will thank you

:previous: Thanks eya! :flowers:
Kjell Arne Totland was, according to his twitter account, on TV2 News Channel right now talking about it (unfortunately I didn't get to watch it, since I'm in the UK).

Haven’t heard much of the crown prince and princess lately .......

:previous: IIRC the CP children are still on summer break so the family are probably enjoying some time with each other for the holidays (for royal parents it would make sense to schedule their engagements alongside school holidays if that's possible). I read that Norwegian schools return in August so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the family until then unless a summer photoshoot is planned.

CP Haakon is 45 today:

CP MM shared a photo of him on Instagram with the text: Hurray for the world's finest Haakon: See it here

Tweet and blog post from TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland - with two of the new photos taken from the private celebrations at Mågerø today (released 30 min ago):

Kjell Arne Totland @TV2KjellArne
#ROYAL #BIRTHDAY #PARTY #CrownPrinceHaakon of #Norway celebrates his 45th birthday tonight at his parents' #summer residence at #Mågerø at #Tjøme.

Feirer 45-årsdagen hos kongeparet på Mågerø - TV2 blog post - translation

Last edited:
And the Palace share two pictures from today

https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=6c34b9619ef1bd56a68e9182625ffd3a&oe=5BE2BC22
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=25950a8132d42e8a9c54fe1f40f72796&oe=5C11113B

One more from the Intagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BldjRoHAOhx/?taken-by=detnorskekongehus

Happy Birthday to the most handsome CP!

:previous:

A Big Thank you to the photograther for this!!!!!!!! ;)

CP Mette Marit on her instagram:

"Thanks to the @tourist association who always shows mountain road ❤️����"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1BatP7hLrs/

CP Mette Marit thans everyone for the wishew for her birthday today:

"Thank you so much for all the greetings today. I am really happy about my birthday and think it is very nice that it sometimes falls on the first day of school ❤️������ So congratulations to everyone who has their first day at school today! (And thanks for life's flower brush Kristin ❤️)"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1WRQGQiqBR/

And Princess Ingrid Alexandra is accompanied by her mother, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, as she arrives at the Uranienborg School in Oslo today

https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0466095346/profimedia-0466095346.jpg
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0466095347/profimedia-0466095347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How come we don't see his shoes? ?

So cute to see Ingrid and Maud comforting each other. They seem to be best friends.

How nice to see Martha Louise and Maud. Looks like the girls enjoy each other's company!

Sverre Magnus couldn't look more Norwegian if he tried! :norwayflag:

All Norwegian boys and young men are required to be blonde or blondish and blue eyed, with the hair carefully combed to one side.
If they are not born with a cleft in their chin, the national health service will ensure they get one. Even Kirk Douglas had one made for a movie about the Telemark Saboteurs, in order for him to look like a 100 % authentic Norwegian.

And come summer they put on heavy-duty desert boots and shorts and march up and down the nearest mountains. In shirt-sleeves of course and carrying a rug-sack 24/7.
They do that until Jorkes-Day on 16 September, where they put on their winter-gear.
It's true. Says so in their Constitution. ?

Last edited:
And where are Martha Louise's younger daughters?

:previous: Well, according to Norwegian media, neither them or Marius were there.

So where were they?
I have no idea, but perhaps they were with Ari or with some friends.

Last edited:
Thank you to those who shared these photos - it was a nice surprise as I'd forgotten it was Haakon's birthday today.
Ingrid Alexandra seems to have a lively and bubbly personality, it was cute to see her put her arm around Maud Angelica. Since Sverre Magnus was there I do wonder where the other Behn girls were. Perhaps they don't like the public sphere as much and chose to spend the day in a more private manner.

I'd say it is rather normal for nieces not to be at their uncle's birthday. It's great if they can participate (Maud!) but equally fine if they don't (Leah and Emma). Marius' absence is a little different as we are talking about his stepfather's birthday. However, he is probably trying to keep a low profile, so if that's the reason behind that makes sense - and he has been missing in the past - as a young adult he is free to spend his summer as he pleases.

Sverre Magnus couldn't look more Norwegian if he tried! :norwayflag:

All Norwegian boys and young men are required to be blonde or blondish and blue eyed, with the hair carefully combed to one side.
If they are not born with a cleft in their chin, the national health service will ensure they get one. Even Kirk Douglas had one made for a movie about the Telemark Saboteurs, in order for him to look like a 100 % authentic Norwegian.

And come summer they put on heavy-duty desert boots and shorts and march up and down the nearest mountains. In shirt-sleeves of course and carrying a rug-sack 24/7.
They do that until Jorkes-Day on 16 September, where they put on their winter-gear.
It's true. Says so in their Constitution. ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here are two English articles about it:

Crown Prince Haakon celebrated his birthday at Mågerø with the family – Royal Central
On Friday, large parts of the Norwegian Royal Family were gathered to celebrate Crown Prince Haakon who was 45-years-old. They celebrated the big day at the Royal Family’s country house at Mågerø in Tjøme, where the whole family where gathered for a private birthday celebration.

Even though it was a half-jubilee, the celebration was marked quietly. Despite the fact that one day he will take over the throne and fill the shoes of his father, King Harald, usually royal birthdays in Norway are celebrated the same way as for the most Norwegians.

The Crown Prince celebrated his birthday at Mågerø - Norway Today
“The Crown Prince celebrated the day privately with his close family, and no official mark of the day was announced, ”said Guri Varpe, communications manager at the Palace to NTB news.

Last edited:
This was discussed in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...d-queen-sonja-2006-a-37862-5.html#post2140646

But now we have moved into something that fits better here:
That's interesting!
Please remind me, who are these politicians?
If they are republicans/far left wing, it really doesn't matter.

But if they are from the center and right parties it's perhaps more worrying.
At what party-political level are these politicians?
What's the history of these politicians?
Do they have a history of criticizing Haakon?
And what was the reaction from the party political top?

Let me explain:
If it's say a center-right politician, pretty far down the hierarchy (back-bencher) it really doesn't matter. That politician may actually mean what he/she is saying, but is hardly speaking on behalf of the party.
But if the politician has a medium level position within the party, say being the spokesperson in a more heavy political field, like economy or foreign politics. Then he is most likely speaking unofficially on behalf of the party.
If it's even higher up, say deputy party leader or a minister, then the politician is "unofficially officially" speaking on behalf of the party! ;)

The reaction from the party top is telling as well. If the party top goes out at once an whacks the politician on the head, the statement is not on behalf of the party.
If they don't or it's only a half-hearted whack, the statement is at least finding a lot of sympathy within the party.

Okay, some politicians have a history of speaking out about absolutely everything including the royals. Sometimes that's how they are and sometimes that's their job. They send up trial-balloons, political decoys, start debates and so on. - Sometimes however they are an unofficial "tapping the finger on the table". I.e. it's an unofficial political: "Hey Haakon, listen..."

However, if the politician has a history of criticizing Haakon, it could be because the politician is genuinely worried about Haakon and dislike him and/or the advisors around Haakon. Or he is a raised party-political index finger. - Here it's the party-top's reaction that is telling. (See also paragraph above.)
If the party leaderships whacks him on the head, he is merely annoying, also within the party.
If they don't, it's either because he is speaking on behalf of the party i.e. the party is annoyed at Haakon as well, at least to some extent. Or he is a decoy.

- Isn't politics fun? ?
Again, great questions from you! :flowers:

And yes, politics is fun (almost as fun as royalty).

Well, Totland & Bomann-Larsen (both monarchists BTW) has not revealed who these politicians are, but we have no reason to doubt what they are saying, since both of them are known to be very serious/reliable.

And NRK's political commentator, Magnus Takvam (don't know whether he is a monarchist or republican); editor and political commentator in the Liberal conservative Newspaper Aftenposten, Harald Stanghelle (republican, but very serious) & political editor in liberal Newspaper Dagens Næringsliv, Kjetil B. Alstadheim (republican, but quite serious) have also mentioned that there are politicians in the Storting and the government who worry about Haakon. - Especially about him being ''too political''.

Why not speak out? Well, out of respect for the King, politicians are generally very careful when it comes to criticizing the CP couple publicly.
At least, that's what Totland & Alstadheim have said.

But there are some notable exceptions, especially when they took the children out of the public school in 2014:

Martin Kolberg: A powerful pro-monarchy MP for the pro-monarchy centre-left Labour Party since 2009.
Spokesman for the party on royal issues from 2013 to 2017.
Leader of the Standing Committee on Scrutiny and Constitutional Affairs in the Storting from 2013 to 2017.
Prior to that, he was the party's general secretary from 2001 to 2009.
Said that the CP couple's decision was ''a very clear move away from being part of the people, and a step towards the end of the monarchy.''
History of criticizing Haakon/MM before that? No.
Reaction from the party's political top? Well, Labour leader Jonas Gahr Støre didn't like the ''end of the monarchy'' part, so he put Trond Giske (pro-monarchy Labour MP and friend of the CP couple) on the case instead.

Knut Arild Hareide: Pro-monarchy leader of the Pro-monarchy centred Christian Democratic Party.
Said that ''it's a problem that the CP couple chose such an expensive private school that the vast majority of people would never be able to afford.''

Per Olaf Lundteigen: A highly respected pro-monarchy MP for the pro-monarchy centred Centre Party from 1993 to 1997, and from 2005-present.
Spokesman for the party on royal issues from 2013 to 2017.
Said that the CP couple were ''bad role models.''
Reaction from the party's political top? Nothing, but pretty sure they were in agreement with him.

Even Erna Solberg (the pro-monarchy prime minister and leader of the pro-monarchy centre-right Conservative Party) & Jonas Gahr Støre (pro-monarchy leader of the Labour Party, and friend of the CP couple) expressed themselves critically about the decision, although they were of course much more careful than the people mentioned above.

And when the CP couple were holidaying on a luxury yacht in 2015 (the co-called ''boat-chandal''), several pro-monarchy MPs were again out in the media and criticized them.

And then we have Per Sandberg: A controversial, populist, republican MP for the pro-monarchy right-winged Progress Party from 1997 to 2017.
Deputy leader of the Party since 2006.
Minister of Fisheries since 2015.
He criticized Haakon for being friends with Labour-politicians, and accused him ''of being left-wing'' in 2014.
He has also accused him of ''being a Labour Party supporter, and for interfering in politics''.
Reaction from others in the party? Nothing, but pretty sure most of them were in agreement with him.

Yes, he is a republican, but since he is the party's deputy leader, I chose to list him here.

I think I describe Sandberg very well (if I'm allowed to say that) in this post, which was also a response to you BTW: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...he-norwegian-monarch-43060-2.html#post2086547

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom