General Discussion about Royal Residences 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Posts about the roles of the Gloucesters and Kents during the reign of King Charles III have been moved to this thread.

It seems some people are hoping for the BRF to end up with nothing. I don’t want to repeat myself, the properties they use like KP, BP, Windsor, Holyrood house, etc don’t belong to them. There are already properties that are rented out or leased to people who aren’t royals, The Crown estate owns the freehold to the apple store on Regent street and makes money from real estate.

I don’t think there is much need to move people around. Everybody is good where they are. With Charles using BP as working place and William KP but both living where they are now.

It will be interesting to see how Sandringham and Balmoral will be used by Charles. Will he continue the family traditions?

I would love to see a big exhibition on the life of QEII and Prince Philip in Windsor Castle.
They both loved the place and it’s very touristy.

A lot of what is written here is beyond impractical. No one is giving any house to the National Trust. If they open them they will do so themselves. No one is opening any property on the Windsor estate bar the castle to the public on a permanent basis. As someone who has been in there on their open days to Frogmore House I can tell you now it is a security nightmare and hughly expensive because it needs to be patrolled because others are living there.

KP is run by Historic Palaces and certainly earns it’s keep. The only other one apart from Windsor which could be open more is BH…and probably should be.

Balmoral and Sandringham have little to offer as tourists destinations. Particularly Balmoral. It’s remote, it hasn’t been done up in 50 years. It’s essentially a private house, as is Sandringham. Charles opens up all the houses owned by the trust. But there is little call to open house after house in an already over crowded market. Many of their houses are significantly less impressive than somewhere like Blenheim for example. The only one now with any interest which isn’t opened all year round is BH.

Both BP & WC have large areas packed with interest that could be opened up to visitors. And both remain large enough to provide ample space for private quarters for The King or the Wales family.

Last edited:
Both BP & WC have large areas packed with interest that could be opened up to visitors. And both remain large enough to provide ample space for private quarters for The King or the Wales family.

But they are boht open to visitors for part of the year. So not sure what you are suggesting.

Windsor is pretty much open permanently. They can open BP up permanently too I guess.

The Royal Family may open some residences to the public, but may continue to use them anyway.

The Royal Family may open some residences to the public, but may continue to use them anyway.

But that is exactly what they do. Royals live in BP and Windsor but both places are open to the public. So I dont know what more the RF are supposed to do. Move out and live in a terraced house?

Windsor is pretty much open permanently. They can open BP up permanently too I guess.

Buck is being renovated now, and I think it will be a job that takes years so opening it for longer than in the summer may be problematic for a few years.

But they are boht open to visitors for part of the year. So not sure what you are suggesting.

I'm suggesting opening more!

At Windsor much of the work commissioned by George iv is never open to the public. And that which is is only open for the winter. These are amongst the greatest palace interiors of Europe.The Grand Corridor alone contains arts treasure that would fill a major gallery.

None of the principal floor on the north & east wings of BP is open to the public. They too contain important C19th interiors. Some from Brighton Pavilion.

Neither of these areas need to be occupied by members of the rf. There is plenty of space west of the Lancaster Tower at Windsor & on the second floor at BP for enormous private quarters for the rf.

More than happy to post floor plans to illustrate what I mean.

Last edited:
I'm suggesting opening more!

At Windsor much of the work commissioned by George iv is never open to the public. And that which is is only open for the winter. These are amongst the greatest palace interiors of Europe.The Grand Corridor alone contains arts treasure that would fill a major gallery.

More than happy to post floor plans to illustrate what I mean.

Im pretty sure I've been to WIndsor during hte summer.

Im pretty sure I've been to WIndsor during hte summer.

I don't understand what you're getting at.

The State Apartments are open all year round. In addition, during the winter only, some of George iv's semi state apartments are open to the public.

But much of the castle remains closed year round & is never open to the public. And this closed section of the castle contains much that is of great interest & national importance. It could easily be opened year round because there would still be plenty of castle left for the rf to inhabit.

I don't understand what you're getting at.

The State Apartments are open all year round. In addition, during the winter only, some of George iv's semi state apartments are open to the public.

But much of the castle remains closed year round & is never open to the public. And this closed section of the castle contains much that is of great interest & national importance. It could easily be opened year round because there would still be plenty of castle left for the rf to inhabit.

Oh please no. Quite enough of Windsor is opened to the public. And as someone who has been in more times then I care to talked about the most interesting part is St George's. I mean I am sure some of those paintings would be lovely but in an art gallery. They couldn't get much more out of it than they do there are loads of things going on there it's exhausting.

I've been in loads of royal palaces all over both current and past and apart from the one in Vienna which I really liked, Windsor is by far my favourite. Its q great day out but walking around looking at rooms and art is a bit boring.

Did like BH ...Great gardens and KP and Hampton Court are extremely well run by historic palaces. Love Hampton Court.

Last edited:
Oh please no. Quite enough of Windsor is opened to the public. And as someone who has been in more times then I care to talked about the most interesting part is St George's. I mean I am sure some of those paintings would be lovely but in an art gallery. They couldn't get much more out of it than they do there are loads of things going on there it's exhausting.

I've been in loads of royal palaces all over both current and past and apart from the one in Vienna which I really liked, Windsor is by far my favourite. Its q great day out but walking around looking at rooms and art is a bit boring.

Did like BH ...Great gardens and KP and Hampton Court are extremely well run by historic palaces. Love Hampton Court.

I would love the opportunity to wonder round & be bored!:D

I do agree with you about Hampton Court. It is lovely. And of course at Hampton Court the palace is divided into five separate tours – kitchens, Henry viii, Cumberland gallery, William iii apartments & the Georgians. So the same approach could be followed at Windsor to make it more manageable for the visitor who then could choose how much or how little to see ie State Apartments, Semi-State Apartments, George iv’s private apartments, Grand Corridor & guest rooms & the Royal Library (plus the round tower).

Last edited:
Each to their own I suppose! I would love the opportunity to wonder round & be bored!:D

Same here! I often revisit historic homes, museums and art galleries in order to see things I missed before because a treasure-trove can't be appreciated in one hit. I love exploring architecture, decor, furniture and art and although a day's visit can be tiring, I'm rarely bored.

I would love the opportunity to wonder round & be bored!:D

I do agree with you about Hampton Court. It is lovely. And of course at Hampton Court the palace is divided into five separate tours – kitchens, Henry viii, Cumberland gallery, William iii apartments & the Georgians. So the same approach could be followed at Windsor to make it more manageable for the visitor who then could choose how much or how little to see ie State Apartments, Semi-State Apartments, George iv’s private apartments, Grand Corridor & guest rooms & the Royal Library (plus the round tower).

Don't get me wrong I love going in to see things but Windsor had a lot already. You couldn't really see everything in one go anyway. And Hampton Court has the interactive theatre too which makes it unique.

Windsor isn't likely to be occupied by a royal for sometime if ever again...at least not permanently. I think we are looking at a future where these castles and palaces are not going to be lived in but used for work.

It would be a pity if Windsor wasn't lived in again. It's the oldest & most magnificent of the royal residences.

It would be a pity if Windsor wasn't lived in again. It's the oldest & most magnificent of the royal residences.

There's loads of houses on that estate and I don't see any reason for them to live in the castle. Tourists are there and I'm sure they'd be much happier with their own spots.

There's loads of houses on that estate and I don't see any reason for them to live in the castle. Tourists are there and I'm sure they'd be much happier with their own spots.

Maybe. The castle has been abandoned as a royal residence more than once, & for lengthy periods, in its long history. So who knows what might happen in the future.

Maybe. The castle has been abandoned as a royal residence more than once, & for lengthy periods, in its long history. So who knows what might happen in the future.
Possibly. But i dont see the point of it. You cant do anything socially useful with Windsor, it is near to other royal residences and was used by t he queen for the past 2 years.

I agree.
It's supposed to be the oldest occupied royal castle, and for it to be simply a mecca for tourists would be a shame!
It's been rumored that Charles, who has no love for Windsor, intends to hand it over to William and his family, which I think would be ideal.

(Besides, tourists hang around at every royal residence).

I agree.
It's supposed to be the oldest occupied royal castle, and for it to be simply a mecca for tourists would be a shame!
It's been rumored that Charles, who has no love for Windsor, intends to hand it over to William and his family, which I think would be ideal.

(Besides, tourists hang around at every royal residence).

It would probably cost a lot to make it comfortable for a family like Williams who are used to a simpler life. and If he did move in there, I cant see that he'd want tourists being around in his home any more than there are already.

If he did move in there, I cant see that he'd want tourists being around in his home any more than there are already.

I don't think privacy will be a complaint for William at Windsor.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the architecture of the castle. The private apartments are separate from the public areas, other than they both overlook the quadrangle. The private parts have access to vast gardens which are not overlooked by the public parts. The private apartments can also be accessed from parts other than the quadrangle, ensuring complete privacy.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the architecture of the castle. The private apartments are separate from the public areas, other than they both overlook the quadrangle. The private parts have access to vast gardens which are not overlooked by the public parts. The private apartments can also be accessed from parts other than the quadrangle, ensuring complete privacy.

It’s such a beautiful place too. And given it’s close to school for the kids and provides a ton of opportunity for playing outside and riding horses, I think it’s definitely a possibility. I hope they move in

so why isn't it open more ot the public? I have only visitied it once.. during the summer, some years ago.

so why isn't it open more ot the public? I have only visitied it once.. during the summer, some years ago.

The parts that aren’t open to the public are the parts where members of the royal family live. Much of it is open to the public most of the time.

Personally, I think seeing St. George’s is the best part of visiting Windsor.

It’s such a beautiful place too. And given it’s close to school for the kids and provides a ton of opportunity for playing outside and riding horses, I think it’s definitely a possibility. I hope they move in

If they do, I think they will wait a while...maybe until next summer.

so why isn't it open more ot the public?

A significant part of the castle, essentially covering the state apartments, is open to the public, unless it is being used.

If they do, I think they will wait a while...maybe until next summer.

Why would they move in? It is a tourist trap and they would be seen by tourists qt certain angles. They just live a jump away on the estate. Why would they move. They may prefer living in a house. They obviously had no great love for KP either.

They may begin using the castle for public engagements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom