Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 4: August 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mermaid Maybe she has a genuine need for the maternity cut in the jacket

Now wouldn't that be something? Perhaps there's a picture without the jacket, showing an elasticized waist.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not jump to misplaced conclusions based on one jacket!

I do not know what a weeble is but thanks for making me laugh :flowers:.
I was wondering why the waist was not taken in a bit and the sleeves less wide, there seems room for that and it would make it less baggy and more flattering.

I may be the only one :D but I think she didn't look that
bad, the colours looked great together with the sailor's
uniforms, and why not wear something comfortable sometimes ;)

Here are two more of the pics in a bigger version:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I don't think it is that bad I see why some would not like it but I think it is really retro 50's and the colour ...it's not grey..... and it looks lovely against the dark sailor suits. She could have gone for something a bit groovier than black but all in all not bad.

Also an odd contrast is that the hat is so delicate in itself and even more so compared to the suit.

The most favourable articles seem to be from local papers that cover local events or else national papers that cover foreign tours. However, the major papers in the UK seem to print negative stories about the Wessexes. There isn't much balance there IMO.

I definitely agree with this. Most descriptions of local visits by royals are quite positive compared to descriptions of the royals in national newspapers. But I think this is common in any country when you're dealing with descriptions of public figures. For example, even in Canada, when a small town is visited by a politician, it's often described as an honour and the politician as someone to be respected (I've been doing some writing for my local newspaper and have seen this first hand). On the other hand, larger newspapers and opinion columnists often couldn't be more disparaging about anyone and everyone in public office.

I like Sophie and Edward and really admire them for conducting a mostly scandal-free life, for seeming to have a happy marriage and for keeping their children out of the limelight. And I've seen glowing praise of Sophie by people who've conversed with her. It is too bad about Sophie's company, though, and it's definitely not right for her to be hiding from the payment of her debts.

But as for the recession, companies were failing to turn a profit or barely squeaking by years before the world was "technically" in a recession according to economists' definitions. One of the reasons many companies went bankrupt so rapidly was because they already weren't doing well financially.

Well - she doesn't look exacly like one, but the jacket certainly gives her a somewhat spherical appearance!!

:previous: Not actually born a royal, that might be why.
--------------------------
Nobody recognises Britain's Prince Edward.
The 45-year-old son of Queen Elizabeth - often referred to as the "spare" royal as he is unlikely to ever ascend to the throne - was completely ignored by locals and tourists during a recent holiday to the Isle of Scilly, off the coast of Cornwall

Prince Edward's holiday goes unnoticed - Monsters and Critics

Thank you for the link. Now I know why there's been very little news on the Wessex's lately

Prince Edward visits troops in Afghanistan

Prince Edward spent 24 hours visiting British troops on the front line in Afghanistan, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.

Edward, 45, is the royal colonel of 2nd Battalion, The Rifles and spent the day with soldiers from the unit in the town of Sangin, where they have spent the past five months seeking to bring greater security.

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson, Commanding Officer 2 Rifles Battle Group, said the visit was an honour.
"It's been a real boost to the Riflemen, whose courage and resolve in the face of the most challenging circumstances has been exemplary," he said.

Prince Edward met the Crown Prince of Bahrain

The Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander Shaikh Salman bin Hamad al Khalifa welcomed today Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, hailing the outstanding relations existing between the Kingdom of Bahrain and the United Kingdom.

During the meeting at Riffa, Shaikh Salman held talks with Prince Edward and Britain’s Ambassador to Bahrain, as well as accompanying delegations, about several issues of mutual interests, especially those concerning the education and possibilities of further cooperation.
Prince Edward, who is currently on tour to visit the British troops who serve in the region, expressed his admiration on the development and progress Bahrain has witnessed in recent years, and hailed it as an example of democracy and growth in the region.

Countess Sophie visited the premises of the Samantha
Dickson Brain Tumor Trust in Yateley, Hampshire, UK,
September 9, 2009. I've made a little collage of the
small pics:

----> Countess Sophie 09.09.09

Thanx iceflower. Great job with the collage. Those are nice pics of Countess Sophie. It's good to see her out and about.

Thanks shanaz :flowers: I simply thought it looked better
that way than to have those little ones only ;)

In the meantime, I've found two more pics of Sophie inside
the trust building, their caption said that the trust was the
largest brain tumour charity in the UK.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And here are a few pics of Prince Edward during his trip to
Afghanistan. Good to see him supporting the troops and
showing his interest for their work.

The Earl of Wessex, Regimental Royal Colonel for 2 Rifles, visits
the 2 Rifles Battle Group on the front line in Sangin, Helmand
province, Afghanistan, 9 September 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Fantastic pics of Sophie and Edward, thanks iceflower

It seems all the royals are out and about again.

I think the Countess looks very elegant in black and white. She has such a warm, winning smile.

Both Wessexes are doing a very good job. It was nice to see Prince Edward in camoflage...normally he gets criticism when he shows up in a uniform and medals.:ermm: Sophie's always great, but I'm not fond of colour-block outfits in general.

Pics 23.9.2009

A royal visit by Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, on the
September 23, 2009, to mark the 25th Anniversary of Bridges
Community Centre, an independent Monmouth based charity.
Monmouth, UK.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

A few additional photos to Iceflower's photo gallery of Prince Edward.:)
I've just seen the photos and Edward looks wonderful. It's such a shame his engagements do not get the same coverage. The second picture is most wonderful. :)

Pics 24.9.2009

It's such a shame his engagements do not get the same coverage.

I sometimes think we only get to see 1/3 of all their engagements,
there are so many more events listed, but we rarely get pics
compared to those of other members of the family, like Charles
and Camilla..

Here are some new pics of Sophie from today:

The Countess of Wessex during a visit to RAF Wittering, in
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, September 24, 2009.

Sophie attended in her role as Honorary Air Commodore.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom