Duke Wilhelm and the Royal House of Württemberg 2: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see the young Duke standing up for himself. Granny and uncles probably thought he would be easy to write off, but they were wrong.

Needles to say, what a horrible situation. Carl wasn't cold yet when the backstabbing began.

Somehow I'm glad the young Duke is showing some muscle, good sing that he won't be easily "handled" by granny and uncles. Perhaps he is thinking of getting married and doesn't want the widower Duchess lurking around.

Does an elderly person not wishing to be evicted from their longterm home by their own grandchild (married or not) qualify as "lurking" and something that requires "muscling"?

Some old families have a dower house. So, with the young Duke taking over, Duchess Diane needed to leave Altshausen.

Does an elderly person not wishing to be evicted from their longterm home by their own grandchild (married or not) qualify as "lurking" and something that requires "muscling"?

Having your own grandmother and uncles plotting against you does require muscling. The family has plenty of properties she can move to, Friedrichshafen comes to mind, there's also some apartments and pavilions inside Althausen she could move to.

The HEAD OF THE HOUSE didn't want Diane's ugly statues in HIS home, she threw a tantrum and went on to trash her grandson publicly. Diane de France is everything but a poor old woman being evicted from her former home.

I read the same on Noblesse & Royautes. I was so surprised that I initially thought they meant the children of Duke Ludwig, but no it is indeed the uncles themselves. They mention that the move of Hereditary Duchess Marie -mother of Duke Wilhelm- to Tegernsee was also initiated by them. I imagine it must be Dukes Michael and Eberhard? Duke Philip does not seem involved in the family business and has his own carreer.

It was Michael and Philipp who were trying to have their nephew Wilhelm disinherited. At some point, they were successful, in that they convinced their father to change his will so that one of the two brothers would be the heir.

Beginning in 2020, after Carl stepped down due to his age/health, Michael acted as the head of the Hofkammer of the Royal House of Württemberg, and managed the properties of the royal family: its forestry and wine-producing businesses, other agricultural holdings, and its financial assets.

Before his death, Carl changed his will again and named his grandson Wilhelm as his heir. There was also a provision in the will for Diane; however, it is unlikely that we will know how much that was. She is clearly upset, and she is an admittedly passionate person. Her grandson has handled this with great discretion, given what he has had to deal with in the courts and with his wider family.

Last edited:
It was Michael and Philipp who were trying to have their nephew Wilhelm disinherited. At some point, they were successful, in that they convinced their father to change his will so that one of the two brothers would be the heir.

Beginning in 2020, after Carl stepped down due to his age, Michael acted as the head of the Hofkammer of the Royal House of Württemberg, and managed the properties of the royal family: its forestry and wine-producing businesses, other agricultural holdings, and its financial assets.

Before his death, Carl changed his will again and named his grandson Wilhelm as his heir. There was also a provision in the will for Diane; however, it is unlikely that we will know how much that was. She is clearly upset, and she is an admittedly passionate person. Her grandson has handled this with great discretion, given what he has had to deal with in the courts and with his wider family.

Thank you very much for the info. My respect for the young Duke has only increased.
What a family of crows! :ohmy:

What a terrible way to treat the grandmother, Diane de Orleans, in her senior years. I assume the house is big enough for the family and now she has to vacate it. Someday, the grandchildren of the current new resident will reciprocate what was done to Diane.

The Widow Mother in law left Altausen for Carl and Diane.
Family and financial problems in the House of Wurtenberg are old. We don't know them .

Duchess Diane was the Boss and hosted a party at Altausen for the Wedding of Marie Amelie.

Time for the extravagant Duchess ,who always did what she wanted, to leave Altausen and with her works which were never master pieces.

Last edited:
She may feel differently about her own work perhaps. Apparently some will be donated to a museum and the rest will be sold for charity at a christmas market. I can understand it is difficult for her to accept she is no longer a mistress of the house and that she -as sadly so many people later in life- needs to live in more modest circumstances and decide what to keep and what to say goodbye to. A painful process. The more so if it is your life's work that you have to say goodbye to, as is the case with her art.

A photo from Paris Match of Diane -all dressed up- and her boxes. When you burn down your bridges you might as well do it in style ;).

https://www.parismatch.com/lmnr/f/w...pg?VersionId=i1aGG2tOuyyNGSV0sahpZpDZZ7.xvqNh

Benjamin said:

Beginning in 2020, after Carl stepped down due to his age/health, Michael acted as the head of the Hofkammer of the Royal House of Württemberg, and managed the properties of the royal family: its forestry and wine-producing businesses, other agricultural holdings, and its financial assets.

Thanks Benjamin for the additional information, most interesting. It seems the sad death of Duke Friedrich left a void in the family where discord could settle and smoulder. It is fortunate Duke Carl came to his senses and changed the will on time. It appears to be rather dubious behavior of Dukes Michael and Philipp. There may be another -less dire- explanation of course. What that would be escapes me at the moment though we should hope that there was one.

Toledo said:
What a terrible way to treat the grandmother, Diane de Orleans, in her senior years. I assume the house is big enough for the family and now she has to vacate it. Someday, the grandchildren of the current new resident will reciprocate what was done to Diane.

It would be. But I don't think the Duchess has told the complete story to Paris Match. The fact that ALL her children agree with Duke Wilhelm should make us pause. Perhaps he was not as unreasonable as Pss Diane has made him out to be.

Last edited:
Hi, I read, that the "decision was made" for the grandson to inherit. Does such an important House like the one of Württemberg not have a House Law?

I mean, that is what House Laws are all about, to avoid a "civil war" over the family fortune?

And before we condemn the actual heir about the stressful situation for his grandmother... I mean, we don't know how she positioned herself in this inheritence struggle, right?

Hi, I read, that the "decision was made" for the grandson to inherit. Does such an important House like the one of Württemberg not have a House Law?

I mean, that is what House Laws are all about, to avoid a "civil war" over the family fortune?

And before we condemn the actual heir about the stressful situation for his grandmother... I mean, we don't know how she positioned herself in this inheritence struggle, right?

The family's assets are separate from the structure of the non-reigning Württemberg House. What was disputed through the courts, not known until Dowager Duchess Diane went to the press, was the will of Duke Carl.

Indeed, we do not know the particulars of the legal case, as Duke Wilhelm (and his mother Duchess Marie, as I feel she deserves credit, since she gave up her residence at Friedrichshafen based on an agreement that she made with her brothers-in-law Dukes Michael and Philipp) have not made any of it public. All that we know is that at some point after Duke Friedrich's death, Duke Carl had changed his will in favor of Duke Michael, and then before his death Duke Carl revised his will and restored his grandson Duke Wilhelm as the heir to the family's assets. This was then contested by Duke Michael and Duke Philipp; you are correct that we do not know what Duchess Diane's participation was during the court case.

However, from what Marengo wrote, it sounds as though the children of Duchess Diane do not side with her in this current matter. Diane's mother-in-law Duchess Rosa left Althausen for Friedrichshafen after the death of Diane's father-in-law Duke Philipp. It was only then that Duchess Diane returned to live with her husband. Sometimes, things come full circle. She should have expected this, and she should have handled it more discretely.

This quote from Duchess Diane in the Paris Match article did strike a nerve with me, given how understanding Duke Carl was of his wife's personality:

The Duke helped me financially by buying my brushes and canvases, but he was not really interested in my art. I suggested that we create a joint foundation, but he preferred to take care of his own which did not suit me. It is thanks to my own paintings which, at the beginning, sold successfully, that I was able to support different causes, in Tibet, Morocco, Lebanon, Israel. And recently in Paraguay where I was touched by the situation of women in prison.

Realistically, if Diane had not married Carl, then she would never have been in a position to pursue her artistic career as much as she has. It comes across as a bit uncharitable for her to have mentioned to a major newspaper that her husband did not really care for her work. I have one abstract painting by Dx Diane, and it is lovely, but her massive sculptures and such are another case entirely.

Last edited:
There's something I don't understand... in German law there is no testamentary freedom like in the UK, for that reason Duke Carl's inheritance had to be distributed between his wife and six children despite there being a will.
In Germany you cannot leave the inheritance to a single person, can you?

Do the Württemberg's have certain legal privileges? Or did Duke Carl have legal residence in the UK?

But does anyone in the family side with her ?

Having your own grandmother and uncles plotting against you does require muscling. The family has plenty of properties she can move to, Friedrichshafen comes to mind, there's also some apartments and pavilions inside Althausen she could move to.

The HEAD OF THE HOUSE didn't want Diane's ugly statues in HIS home, she threw a tantrum and went on to trash her grandson publicly. Diane de France is everything but a poor old woman being evicted from her former home.

The grandmother (my previous comment did not mention the uncles) wishing to stay in the home she has lived in for decades (particularly when it is large enough to accommodate both her and her grandson, even if he marries and has children) seems to me like a natural desire to have, rather than plotting for some unknown purpose.

According to her account (I bear in mind it is only one side of the story, but it is the only one available to us for the time being), her grandson did not merely ask her to remove her statues but is effectively evicting her from her home and has forbidden her from making requests of her longtime staff.

Her comment that her grandson could have been "more delicate" seems to me much milder than a "tantrum" or "trashing". There are members of other families discussed on this forum, younger than Diane, who have made far harsher comments about family members by whom they feel wronged and been applauded for it by royal watchers.

It comes across as a bit uncharitable for her to have mentioned to a major newspaper that her husband did not really care for her work.

I did not read it as a criticism, but a matter-of-fact statement that her husband was not interested in art, including hers. It is not particularly unusual for spouses not to share one another's interests.

Last edited:
The Duchess was wrong to give in interview to Paris Match. I am sure the Ducal family of Wurtenberg will say nothing as usual and since always , this is a private family affair !

Marlene König has mentioned at the Nobiliana Forum that 2 of the sons of Duke Carl claimed to be the Heirs and that Duke Wilhelm had to take legal action to be recognized as Heir. Apparently Duke Carl had changed his will a few times

Before his death, Carl changed his will again and named his grandson Wilhelm as his heir. [...]

I wonder if Carl failed to plan in advance, or failed to share his plans with his family, for whom he would appoint to replace his oldest son Friedrich as his heir if Friedrich were to predecease him.

In any case, repeatedly changing his mind since Friedrich's death does not seem fair to any of the prospective heirs.

True, but as you know, House Laws as such have been devoid of legal authority since the monarchical system of government was abolished, which is why many of these families no longer obey their House Laws disinheriting members who marry commoners. :flowers:

It reminds of the Prussian lawsuits. But in that case the uncles were indeed the elder ones. Here the line of succesison is rahter obvious. But the Duke of Segorbe did something simular and seems to be holding of his more senior relatives for now. Though Spanish and German law will of course be rather different.

There's something I don't understand... in German law there is no testamentary freedom like in the UK, for that reason Duke Carl's inheritance had to be distributed between his wife and six children despite there being a will.
In Germany you cannot leave the inheritance to a single person, can you?

Yes, German (and Spanish) laws provide that although a testator may distribute part of his estate, there remains a reserved portion from which certain heirs cannot be disinherited (though I expect there are means of circumventing these laws). The law does not distinguish between an elder and a younger child or between a son and a daughter for succession purposes.

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_bgb/index.html

I am not well versed in the Medinaceli lawsuits, but in the Prussian lawsuits it was clear that under the existing family succession agreement Georg Friedrich was the heir to the family properties. His uncles were thus compelled to challenge the validity of the agreement.

Do the Württemberg's have certain legal privileges? Or did Duke Carl have legal residence in the UK?

Under European Union law, succession is by default governed by the law of the decedent's country of habitual residence (if Duke Carl lived his whole life in Germany, then it would certainly be deemed his country of habitual residence), unless he chooses to apply the law of another country of which he is a citizen.

Last edited:
Is it true that Duke Wilhelm will be a father soon? Congratulations to him

Is it true that Duke Wilhelm will be a father soon? Congratulations to him

Where did you get this information? Because he is officially neither married nor engaged. Neither has ever appeared in public with a woman by his side.

It was a question. I just read it somewhere maybe I got confused coz it is in French. Sorry

Where did you get this information? Because he is officially neither married nor engaged. Neither has ever appeared in public with a woman by his side.

It was a question. I just read it somewhere maybe I got confused cause it is in French. Sorry

Now Diane has gone to Hola! Good grief. The woman does not stop. The photos, btw, are deeply disturbing. Oh Diane, your lies are exposed. If her children don't want family drama, why did Michael and Philipp try to impugnante Duke Carl's will? C'mon.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/202312...ans-enfrentamiento-nieto-castillo/?viewas=amp

She is used to living in a castle and it seems that she does not plan to move from there. Princess Diane of Orleans, 83 years old, daughter of the Counts of Paris, Dowager Duchess of Württemberg and second cousin of King Juan Carlos, is currently fighting her most personal (and family) battle and is willing to fight tooth and nail. . to emerge victorious after it became public that her grandson, Duke Wilhem, current head of the House of Württemberg, after the death of his father Friedrich in a car accident in 2018, had asked her to leave Altshausen Castle in Germany, in the one where she has resided for five decades.

My grandson hasn't told me to leave but he is doing everything possible to get me to leave the castle. "He is very clever," points out the Princess. "These days he is reviewing all the packages I've sent to my friends for Christmas from the castle to check that I am not sending anything that belongs to this residence, and therefore to him. "It's horrible," she adds.

But Diane of Orleans is clear that everything would have been different if her husband had left her better “armored” in his will after his death on June 7, 2022. "My husband's will was very unfavorable for me and I only ask justice and live in peace" declares, somewhat annoyed by everything that is happening and without wanting to delve into the details of the last wills that the Duke of Württemberg wrote. "Women in my family have been relegated to the background," she adds.

A multifaceted sculptor, painter and artist if there ever was one, the Princess, who specializes in monumental carvings, has already begun to collect her works, which adorn every corner of the castle, since these, she assures, are not to her grandson's liking. "He never listens to me and he thinks I'm bad, but I only defend myself," she said.

Mother of six children during her marriage, the late Friedrich, Mathilde, Eberhard, Philipp, Michael and Fleur, the Princess does not want to involve them in this dispute, as she prefers to protect them from any family problem. "My children defend me but I don't want to involve them in this because I don't want them to suffer. I'm going to defend myself more or less alone because I don't want them to be hurt. So I'm alone, but many times in life it's better that way."

Although she is used to moving around the world, she was born in Brazil where her parents Henri of Orleans and Princess Isabella of Orleans-Braganza were exiled, and spent her youth in Louveciennes Castle, very close to Paris before contracting marriage and going to Germany, Diane of Orleans does not plan to move to Spain. "The townspeople and the castle workers adore me and for this reason I am not going to leave. I do not plan to abandon them."

Full of energy and with very clear ideas, Diane does not intend to give up. “For me, life is a game and I either play it or I don't play it, but I'm not going to stay sitting or locked in a room as if I were in prison because I'm going to die,” she says. "They have made it very clear to me that I am no longer the owner of this castle that I have looked after since the year 60 and that everything in it, including my clothes, my jewelry and even my bed, belonged to my husband and therefore , now from my grandson" she tells us. "They even took my cook away," she adds.

Last edited:
The dowager duchess of Württemberg is in Brazil to relax. Astrid Bodstein of the instagram account royaltyandprotocol has posted a video of the Duchess with the flamboyant Brazilian socialite Narcisa Tamborindeguy (who participated in Mulheres Ricas, a Brazilian variation on the 'Housewives' reality series) and Antonio Paulo, grandson of the plastic surgeon Ivo Pitanguy. The Duchess is staying in Angra dos Reis, a seaside resort not far from Rio de Janeiro. She is a guest of the Pitanguy family.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1V6kQJM8jq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw==

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks! That must be the original source indeed as the video is the same.

Paris Match published this Week Duchess Diane interview which to me is a mistake .

Last edited:
Wilhelm

After reading everyone's posts I should add that Carl put Michael in charge while Wilhelm was finishing his education and job training. Currently, Wilhelm is in Friedrichshafen, finishing his job training before taking over from Michael.
As for his mother, she is moving to be near her daughter and new son-in-law no surprise there.
As for Diane, I read that Carl left her almost no money considering her being less than faithful to Carl. As for her artwork, Wilhelm has every right as the new owner of the family seat to ask her to move it all. Did you all know that every widow moved out without any problems until now? They were provided with a new home by the family.
When it comes to money the House of Wurttemberg is considered one of the richest in Germany it is also very private.money. The Wurtemberg family leaves all of their money to the new heir who is directed to double the family fortune.

Last edited:
After reading everyone's posts I should add that Carl put Michael in charge while Wilhelm was finishing his education and job training. Currently, Wilhelm is in Friedrichshafen, finishing his job training before taking over from Michael.
As for his mother, she is moving to be near her daughter and new son-in-law no surprise there.
As for Diane, I read that Carl left her almost no money considering her being less than faithful to Carl. As for her artwork, Wilhelm has every right as the new owner of the family seat to ask her to move it all. Did you all know that every widow moved out without any problems until now? They were provided with a new home by the family.
When it comes to money the House of Wurttemberg is considered one of the richest in Germany it is also very private.money. The Wurtemberg family leaves all of their money to the new heir who is directed to double the family fortune.

So, despite the family drama and the fact he and Philip sued Duke Wilhem, Michael is still involved in the family business? Is there anyone living in Althausen?

So, despite the family drama and the fact he and Philip sued Duke Wilhem, Michael is still involved in the family business? Is there anyone living in Althausen?
Duke Michael is still involved in the family business.
Currently no one is living in Athausen. Wilhelm is still living at the family castle in Frederickshafen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom