Duke Wilhelm and the Royal House of Württemberg 2: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
:previous:

The House of Württemberg seemed to have relaxed the requirements as well these last decades I imagine that non-noble ladies would also be welcome. Two of his uncles married bourgeoises and it was not a problem.

---

The wedding can be discussed in a thread of its own in the Wedding forum for non-reining families. You can find the thread here.

Last edited:
As posted in the wedding thread: what a grand affair! Can Duke Wilhelm Friedrich get married already? The House of Württemberg is alive and kicking! I didn't expect this after Eberhard's tacky wedding.

Ps: Don't break my heart, Marengo! the young Duke should find a noble lady, and his younger cousin Carl Theodor should marry one of the Belgian princesses (which is not that far off as Queen Mathilde is a friend of the family) :D

Last edited:
As posted in the wedding thread: what a grand affair! Can Duke Wilhelm Friedrich get married already? The House of Württemberg is alive and kicking! I didn't expect this after Eberhard's tacky wedding.

Ps: Don't break my heart, Marengo! the young Duke should find a noble lady, and his younger cousin Carl Theodor should marry one of the Belgian princesses (which is not that far off as Queen Mathilde is a friend of the family) :D
Eberhard probably wanted a low key wedding so it was it is.
Wilhelm can get married at any time when he wants, you’ll just have to wait. Wilhelm can marry whoever he wants whether noble, royal or not as he is Head of the family.

Eberhard probably wanted a low key wedding so it was it is.
Wilhelm can get married at any time when he wants, you’ll just have to wait. Wilhelm can marry whoever he wants whether noble, royal or not as he is Head of the family.

You clearly did understand my posts. Of course Wilhelm is free to marry whoever he wants, whenever he wants. He can also remain single and childless.

*I* would much prefer to see him married to a noblewoman, and soon. That's *MY* wish.

Last edited:
You clearly did understand my posts. Of course Wilhelm is free to marry whoever he wants, whenever he wants. He can also remain single and childless.

*I* would much prefer to see him married to a noblewoman, and soon. That's *MY* wish.
I obviously did understand your post. It’s not that deep and I am aware of “your wish”. I simply saying he’s head of the family so he has options.

I obviously did understand your post. It’s not that deep and I am aware of “your wish”. I simply saying he’s head of the family so he has options.

But if you "obviously did understand" Adda's post, why say "Wilhelm can marry whoever he wants whether noble, royal or not as he is Head of the family" in your reply to Adda when Adda never suggested otherwise?

Any gala dinner in honour of the wedding?

But if you "obviously did understand" Adda's post, why say "Wilhelm can marry whoever he wants whether noble, royal or not as he is Head of the family" in your reply to Adda when Adda never suggested otherwise?
I think my response to Adda is good enough. It’s not that deep and there’s nothing more to justify.

I wonder if He is knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece as his Grandfather the late Duke Karl?

Duke Wilhelm Friedrich was in the island of Mainau, Germany, alongside Queen Silvia of Sweden, Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia and Prince Michael of Baden.

If Duchess Marie-Amelie is the spitting image of her mother, then the young Duke is the spitting image of his father, minus the mane of hair.

Duke Wilhelm Friedrich was in the island of Mainau, Germany, alongside Queen Silvia of Sweden, Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia and Prince Michael of Baden.

If Duchess Marie-Amelie is the spitting image of her mother, then the young Duke is the spitting image of his father, minus the mane of hair.

Wilhelm looks like both his parents IMO

Princess Diane of France talked to Paris Match. She will be moving away from Schloss Althausen.

The new duke has moved into the castle and it seems not everything is going in perfect harmony. He has asked his grandmother to remove her works of art.

The Duchess says:

I thought I could enjoy my peace… but the will of my husband, Duke Carl of Württemberg, has proven particularly disadvantageous for me. So I have to bear the injustices of life.

https://www.parismatch.com/royal-bl...son-chateau-je-ne-suis-quune-deracinee-232437

About her artwork it was said that her husband preferred her to stick to paintings on canvas but she was drawn to monumental art. Ther eis a statue of 6 meters high on the castle grounds.

About her grandson she says:

There are many leaders who are leaders and who are more delicate.

And she is not done yet:

For some members of my family, money is king. They don’t seem to care about the feelings of a widow, or even their mother. Deep down, I'm sure they know it's not fair, but they don't move. I feel like I'm disturbing. My art is disturbing...

She is considering a move to Spain. As histoiresroyales says 'where she found consolation on other shoulders' before, when her marriage was in difficulties :whistling:.

The princess plans to create a foundation to protect her works. The sale of her works have allowed the Duchess to support numerous associations throughout the world throughout her life.

About Palma de Mallorca she says that:

I would just like to be given a little pied-à-terre there, with a workshop, where I could meet artists. And sometimes come back to Altshausen.

Paris Match via Nicolas Fontaine of Histoiresroyales.

https://histoiresroyales.fr/princes...rnier-exil-duchesse-douairiere-de-wurtemberg/

Last edited:
Princess Diane of France talked to Paris Match. She will be moving away from Schloss Althausen.

The new duke has moved into the castle and it seems not everything is going in perfect harmony. He has asked his grandmother to remove her works of art.

The Duchess says:

https://www.parismatch.com/royal-bl...son-chateau-je-ne-suis-quune-deracinee-232437

About her artwork it was said that her husband preferred her to stick to paintings on canvas but she was drawn to monumental art. Ther eis a statue of 6 meters high on the castle grounds.

About her grandson she says:

And she is not done yet:

She is considering a move to Spain. As histoiresroyales says 'where she found consolation on other shoulders' before, when her marriage was in difficulties :whistling:.

The princess plans to create a foundation to protect her works. The sale of her works have allowed the Duchess to support numerous associations throughout the world throughout her life.

About Palma de Mallorca she says that:

Paris Match via Nicolas Fontaine of Histoiresroyales.

https://histoiresroyales.fr/princes...rnier-exil-duchesse-douairiere-de-wurtemberg/

:whistling: why the whistling? On the consolation. It’s unfortunate the way things have turned out

:whistling: why the whistling? On the consolation. It’s unfortunate the way things have turned out

The whistling is most likely because of the knowledge that Diane has always been rumoured to be a very "sociable " girl. Both before and during her marriage. Her future mother-in-law weren't exactly happy about her son's engagement to Diane because of her reputation. Instead she'd have preferred Carl to marry on of Diane's sister's.

We don't really know if Duchess Diane was asked to move out. Have also heard that it was about her artworks which seem to all over the place (we don't know how it looks inside the Castle but there are gigantic angels everywhere in the Garden). And if she really was History would repeat itself as her mother-inl-law had to switch homes with Duke Carl and Family and move to Friedrichshafen.

Why would she says such things about the young Duke? Venting it out doesn't look on her, she should know better.

Somehow I'm glad the young Duke is showing some muscle, good sing that he won't be easily "handled" by granny and uncles. Perhaps he is thinking of getting married and doesn't want the widower Duchess lurking around.

The whistling is most likely because of the knowledge that Diane has always been rumoured to be a very "sociable " girl. Both before and during her marriage. Her future mother-in-law weren't exactly happy about her son's engagement to Diane because of her reputation. Instead she'd have preferred Carl to marry on of Diane's sister's.
What’s this coded words, you’re using? ��Are you insinuating that she has a past of some kind? Diane’s mother-in-law also didn’t like her personality and flamboyant behaviour so she definitely preferred Anne, the more quiet of the sisters. But the late Duke preferred Diane over any of the sisters.

Why would she says such things about the young Duke? Venting it out doesn't look on her, she should know better.

Somehow I'm glad the young Duke is showing some muscle, good sing that he won't be easily "handled" by granny and uncles. Perhaps he is thinking of getting married and doesn't want the widower Duchess lurking around.
Diane was probably going to evacuate at some point anyways because they have other homes, including her Spanish Villa. I think the real issue like Stefan thinks was about Wilhelm not liking her artworks all over the place and probably wanting to make Altshausen palace more to his tastes. Wilhelm isn’t engaged yet. Diane is an outspoken person sometimes it’s not helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke's Mother Princesss Marie born Wied left Altausen a few months ago. The Wiower Duchess said I am the Boss until Wilhelm's Wedding.
Now Duchess Diane artworks are not terrific .

The Duke's Mother Princesss Marie born Wied left Altausen a few months ago. The Wiower Duchess said I am the Boss until Wilhelm's Wedding.
Now Duchess Diane artworks are not terrific .
Yes dowager Marie left months ago. Some people dislike her artworks and I’ve seen comments like yours on noblesseetroyautes concerning Diane’s works. I think Wilhelm didn’t like the way her works were arranged in the palace and probably there were arguments about that, hence Diane leaving

Duchess Marie did not leave Altshausen but Friedrichshafen where she lived since her marriage. She has never lived at Altshausen

What’s this coded words, you’re using? ��Are you insinuating that she has a past of some kind? Diane’s mother-in-law also didn’t like her personality and flamboyant behaviour so she definitely preferred Anne, the more quiet of the sisters. But the late Duke preferred Diane over any of the sisters.

Although Diane was a difficult child for her parents (who sent her to a school for troubled children, if memory serves), the main issue that is being referred to is the marital crisis between Duke Carl and Duchess Diane that occurred around 1980. Diane refers to it in her biography by Stéphane Bern. Here is an excerpt from page 160:

"I can't say who distanced themselves first. Was it my husband, who gradually ended up lending a more attentive ear to the criticisms of which I was the subject and which people took a malicious pleasure in rehashing in front of him, or was it me, tired of the remonstrations of and fighting without real marital help? ...

After more than twenty years of good and loyal service, I finally decided to take what Carl and I would modestly call 'my paid leave.' I left the year I turned forty....

I preferred, out of love for my children, to take a few vacations. The Spanish sun warmed me, and I confess that I knew how to find comfort on the compassionate shoulders of men, whether they were kings, princes or simple anonymous people. However, at the height of our marital crisis, the love that united Carl and I was like the flame that flickers but does not go out. Also, attached to each other, we never completely severed out ties. Carl also showed understanding to my moods. For my part, I knew how to remain attentive to the call of duty. I would never have agreed to divorce. When my mother-in-law died in 1983, I decided finally to resume my place at the side of my husband and we resumed living together in our home Schloß Altshausen, faithful to the promise that I made to Carl's father to keep the family united."

Well, she's not fulfilling the promise of keeping "the family united" by talking trash about her grandson.

She's always the victim, at 83 she isn't going to change.
What a toxic person she must be to have around.

Although Diane was a difficult child for her parents (who sent her to a school for troubled children, if memory serves), the main issue that is being referred to is the marital crisis between Duke Carl and Duchess Diane that occurred around 1980. Diane refers to it in her biography by Stéphane Bern. Here is an excerpt from page 160:
I know all about her book and the issue she and her late husband because she moved to Spain for some time. Her parents weren’t always the best in dealing with her. But at the same time, people have insinuated her having affair with someone in her marriage unfortunately.

I know all about her book and the issue she and her late husband because she moved to Spain for some time. Her parents weren’t always the best in dealing with her. But at the same time, people have insinuated her having affair with someone in her marriage unfortunately.

I don't think people have insinuated anything: she's admitted it quite clearly herself, I would say.
Anyway, the current situation is certainly unfortunate, but I doubt that complaining about her treatment in the press and criticizing her grandson is the best solution

It seems that the art works were not the only problem. Régine Salens of the excellent blog Noblesse&Royautes speaks to the Duchess from time to time. She writes:

Over the course of the conversations, it appeared that the princess's daily life was becoming more and more burdensome. She was made to feel that she was no longer at home even though the young duke did not live in Althsausen.

[...]

However, the situation has deteriorated in recent weeks. Without going into the details of this family breakdown, it can be emphasized that the princess was asked to remove her works of art, to no longer ask anything from the staff she has always known. The kitchen has since been closed in the evening. Great pressure is put on the princess who has put her things in boxes in a wing of the castle.

Diane de France, duchesse douairière de Wurtemberg : le temps de la déchirure – Noblesse & Royautés

I understand it must be bitter for the Duchess that after 47 years she is not the mistress anymore in what she considers to be her own house.

Last edited:
Marlene König has mentioned at the Nobiliana Forum that 2 of the sons of Duke Carl claimed to be the Heirs and that Duke Wilhelm had to take legal action to be recognized as Heir. Apparently Duke Carl had changed his will a few times

"The Spanish sun warmed me, and I confess that I knew how to find comfort on the compassionate shoulders of men, whether they were kings, princes or simple anonymous people."

Many people, very understandably, took this to mean that she was possibly engaging in extramarital activities while she was in Spain. It nobody's fault but her own that they think this, because she said it and allowed for it to be published.

The Duchess Diane should not have given an interview to Paris Match .

Marlene König has mentioned at the Nobiliana Forum that 2 of the sons of Duke Carl claimed to be the Heirs and that Duke Wilhelm had to take legal action to be recognized as Heir. Apparently Duke Carl had changed his will a few times

I read the same on Noblesse & Royautes. I was so surprised that I initially thought they meant the children of Duke Ludwig, but no it is indeed the uncles themselves. They mention that the move of Hereditary Duchess Marie -mother of Duke Wilhelm- to Tegernsee was also initiated by them. I imagine it must be Dukes Michael and Eberhard? Duke Philip does not seem involved in the family business and has his own carreer.

It reminds of the Prussian lawsuits. But in that case the uncles were indeed the elder ones. Here the line of succesison is rahter obvious. But the Duke of Segorbe did something simular and seems to be holding of his more senior relatives for now. Though Spanish and German law will of course be rather different.

The villa Fleur de Lys in Palma de Mallorca has been sold some years ago. The Duchess / Family will need to acquire a new property for Diane.

Also via Noblesse & Royautes duke Friedrich was working on a cost saving operation to restructure the family finances. He died before he could see through everything. Apparently he wanted to cut some of the extravagances of family members.

It may be the conflict between the duke and his grandmother may indeed be one that is part of a wider conflict within the family, which Duchess Diane did not mention in her interview with Paris Match. She did however mention that all her five children agree with Duke Wilhelm. She implied that they did so for reasons of money. But I believe the Waldburg-Zeil family where her daughter Mathilde married into is supposed to be wealthy on its own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom